The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara would work quite well; it's versatile, since it can be worn with pearls or emeralds. It's more substantial than the Strathmore rose, but not as overwhelming as the Fringe.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Thank you for the blog! After seeing the photoshopped picture below on your blog, my vote is for the Queen Mother's scroll tiara.....it seems pretty, but not to small or big for her

Mobile Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I believe the Queen Mother gifted that to Princess Margaret, and is thus in her family, and not available for Catherine to wear.
I'm not sure of that--I believe Princess Margaret wore it before her marriage, but that Princess Anne wore it after that in her younger days. Here's a photo:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/WKirkwood/UK/UKAnneScrollTiara.jpg

The implication to me is that the Queen or Queen Mother lent the tiara out, but that it is one of a number of family pieces which might be available for loan or gifting to a younger royal.

(Poor Anne, she doesn't really have good hair, does she?)

Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Gentry

The thing about the scroll that bothers me is that the scrolls curve outwards from the center, which doesn't seem very uniform to me. I understand that's the entire point, of course, but for whatever reason the tiara just doesn't look quite right to me - on anyone. I want to like it but I just can't.

I'd love to see the Teck Circlet make a comeback.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I am absolutely certain that Kate will wear a tiara on her wedding day.

I can only imagine that the article in the DM was written by a bored, slightly deranged, less-than-brilliant journalist living in a dingy bedsit surrounded by empty takeaway cartons and half-eaten pizzas, who sadly spends all their life devising ludicrous and frankly rather cheap stories for abit of pin-money because they do not have the wit, the brains, nor the true journalist capacity to go out and be inspired by what is really going on in the world.
Classic post!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara would work quite well; it's versatile, since it can be worn with pearls or emeralds. It's more substantial than the Strathmore rose, but not as overwhelming as the Fringe.
Lovely as it might look, I think it highly unlikely that the Grand Duchess Vladamir would be lent to Catherine. This is one of the major tiaras of the BRF, and in active use by HM. My sense is that the next user of the GDV will be Camilla when she is queen.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
HRH actually has lovely hair. The style may not be particularly becoming in our eyes but the quality of her hair is great.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz

I'm not sure of that--I believe Princess Margaret wore it before her marriage, but that Princess Anne wore it after that in her younger days. Here's a photo:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/WKirkwood/UK/UKAnneScrollTiara.jpg

The implication to me is that the Queen or Queen Mother lent the tiara out, but that it is one of a number of family pieces which might be available for loan or gifting to a younger royal.

Love it here too! Glad to see there might still be a glimmer of hope for the Scroll!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I believe the Queen Mother gifted that to Princess Margaret, and is thus in her family, and not available for Catherine to wear.
Maybe, but Princess Ann used to wear the scroll in the late 60s before she was given the Meander. The Papyrus was given to Margaret, I believe, and was worn by Vicount Linley's bride on their wedding day. The Scroll has not been out in some time so I am thinking it is with QEII.

AR

Aestheticus Rex: A Tale of Tiara's: What will the Queen bestow upon Kate Middleton?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

Dunno if someone has already posted this, but various jewelry designers have been designing wedding tiaras for Catherine.
Photo Gallery : InStyle.com What's Right Now
Old 04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Aristocracy

Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
I hope we see something from the vaults. That hasn't seen the light of day in decades.
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Dunno if someone has already posted this, but various jewelry designers have been designing wedding tiaras for Catherine.
Sigh... sadly to say I really didn't care much for any of those designs. I really don't think Kate will wear a new tiara but we never know.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Sigh... sadly to say I really didn't care much for any of those designs. I really don't think Kate will wear a new tiara but we never know.
I liked the Royal Asscher, the Van Cleef & Arpels, and the Tacori, mostly because they are all pretty traditional tiara designs. Even if Kate wears a "new" tiara, it would likely be one that was an estate piece, I'm guessing, rather than newly made (think the Poltimore tiara). The suspense is killin' me!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Nobility

The Tiara: Is it "Less is More?"

Tiaras are not necessarily easy to wear with a veil, and Catherine appears to be rather understated about everything having to do with her wardrobe and accessories.

I hope she is trying hard with her hairdressers to find a style and a tiara that she will feel comfortable wearing. It will please everyone to see a lovely sparkle in her hair...

The scroll might work if she is looking for a less obvious look, as much as I have thought it might be the fringe for a more "modern" look.

But, I am coming to the opinion that Catherine's overall style is SO "less is more" that perhaps she may choose something more minimal, like the scroll. Anyway, just a thought...
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegirl99 View Post
I hope we see something from the vaults. That hasn't seen the light of day in decades.
I think that would be nice. There are so many that could be modified or re-designed for Catherine.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Serene Highness

We have been talking about hairstyles and tiaras and I happened to be looking back at some pictures from a few years ago. I was struck by the picture of the daughter of the Duchess of Alba back in the 90s.

Clearly this is a LARGE Tiara but it is the hair style and the veil which I find especially lovely. Given that Catherine seems to be letting her hair grow even more I thought this was quite lovely.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Old 04-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Serene Highness

Sorry, I meant to add this one as well.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Serene Highness

Sorry, that this came out so large. It is a lovely picture however.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Serene Highness

YEOW! A bit over the top, IMO.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
It's fascinating to see these designs and to see what a moderb interpreation mught be.

My favourites are Isharya, Van Cleef & Arples and the Fenton/Fallon designs.

I think the Rodrigo Otazu (for Swarovski) would be better suited atop a famous statue in New York Harbour.......!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Commoner

the first tiara screams tiara, the rest appear to be out of someone's nightmares...in my opinion of course!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding