Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I would refuse it if it were offered to me, but I really don't care for that tiara. I much prefer the Strathmore.

If worn well & with the right wedding dress I think it would look good but in general, its not a tiara I would go for as its design I find quite boring, there are much nicer ones she could wear.

I had predicted. I'm sure you will fit too.

If Catherine does wear a tiara (which I hope she does) I hope she will wear it in a fashion where it can be seen. It will have to be fairly large. If it's a small one than her veil should fall flat behind it. It was so difficult to see the tiaras of Princess Mary of Denmark, Princess Alexandra of Denmark, Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, Princess Tessy of Luxembourg and all of Princess Margriet of the Netherlands' daughters-in-law's.
I agree with you that bridal tiaras more often than not get kind of drowned by the veil, especially if it the briede wears a puffy tulle veil. My favourite royal brides in that respect were Mette-Marit an Victoria. Mette-Marit really made the most of her rather small but beautiful tiara, because her veil was fixed above the bun at the back of her head. Victoria too fixed the veil behind her tiara, although it would take a great deal to hide the grand cameo tiara with a veil;).
Kate seems to be the kind of women who prefers clear lines to frills and fluffyness, so I hope she will go this way with her veil, too.

I agree with you that bridal tiaras more often than not get kind of drowned by the veil, especially if it the briede wears a puffy tulle veil. My favourite royal brides in that respect were Mette-Marit an Victoria. Mette-Marit really made the most of her rather small but beautiful tiara, because her veil was fixed above the bun at the back of her head. Victoria too fixed the veil behind her tiara, although it would take a great deal to hide the grand cameo tiara with a veil;).
Kate seems to be the kind of women who prefers clear lines to frills and fluffyness, so I hope she will go this way with her veil, too.

And that is what I found not beautiful at all. I think that a veil should be attached to the crown/tiara/whatever. It seemed out of place, as if the veil was added as an afterthought.
Victoria's was better placed but then again I don't have an high opinion of the Cameo Tiara - I think it is way too big.

Like the Girls of Britian and Ireland tiara, there is almost zero chance of that happening. Nice to have that kind of money to waste. :whistling:

I know that is an awful amount of money to put down... I hope you are right and she does not wear this Tiara because I want to see it on Zara this summer...

I know that is an awful amount of money to put down... I hope you are right and she does not wear this Tiara because I want to see it on Zara this summer...

I would be very surprised if Zara wore the Fringe tiara - only ever worn by senior royal ladies. Anne herself was probably the "junior" most of the royal ladies tro ever wear it, so highly doubtful IMO that her daughter would.

I think we have a better chance of seeing the fringe on Zara than we do on Catherine. I like the idea of it being for QEII's descendants only. And I can't picture Zara in a tiara.

I'm still sticking with the Strahmore Rose tiara, but the Cambridge Lovers' Knot is creeping in there, especially if the Queen makes William the Duke of Cambridge on the wedding day. That title is "up for grabs"?

Question about the fringe tiara: I've always believed that the then Princess Elizabeth borrowed the tiara from her MOTHER (Queen Elizabeth) for her wedding day not grandmother (Queen Mary) as Queen Elizabeth was the one who owned/or used it the most at the time. The Queen Mum also loaned it to Princess Anne for her wedding day in 1973. But some articles say that Princess Elizabeth borrowed the tiara from Queen Mary.
I think part of the confusion is that the Queen Mum did not have as much as access to the jewel vaults as she should have as Queen Consort because Queen Mary hung on to most of the tiaras and jewels (she did buy them after all) even though her daughter-in-law was not the consort.

If the woman who placed the bet did have some sort of inside information like knowing the tiara has gone out for cleaning or something, could it be getting ready for Zara instead of Kate?

Any thing is possible ..

. I don't know why some people think Zara would not have a chance to wear this tiara her mother and grandmother both wore it on their wedding day..

Last edited:
If the woman who placed the bet did have some sort of inside information like knowing the tiara has gone out for cleaning or something, could it be getting ready for Zara instead of Kate?

I would bet dollars to donuts that Zara will be wearing the Fringe tiara for her wedding. This is why: The Queen Mother wore it, her daughter wore it for her wedding, her daughter wore it for her wedding......there's a pattern there, I believe.

I can see Catherine in the fringe tiara, although that's not what I would have picked out for her. She is a future Queen of England, after all -- we may see it at the wedding and then not again on her for years, maybe until William becomes King himself.

Question about the fringe tiara: I've always believed that the then Princess Elizabeth borrowed the tiara from her MOTHER (Queen Elizabeth) for her wedding day not grandmother (Queen Mary) as Queen Elizabeth was the one who owned/or used it the most at the time. The Queen Mum also loaned it to Princess Anne for her wedding day in 1973. But some articles say that Princess Elizabeth borrowed the tiara from Queen Mary.

Many fringe tiaras (and they were a very popular design at the turn of the century) were convertible to a necklace once the frame was removed. The Queen's wedding tiara was one of Queen Mary's convertible fringe pieces and she has since worn it as a necklace.

The George III Fringe Tiara was made to Queen Mary's order by Garrard's in 1919 and was one of the pieces selected by Queen Elizabeth from the royal collection (which remained entirely with Queen Mary until her death in 1952) when she became Queen. Princess Anne was loaned the tiara for her wedding day by her grandmother, but The Queen hasn't worn it until recently, when it returned to the royal collection after her mother's death.

This is the tiara the media is speculating will be lent to Catherine on her wedding day.

I would bet dollars to donuts that Zara will be wearing the Fringe tiara for her wedding. This is why: The Queen Mother wore it, her daughter wore it for her wedding, her daughter wore it for her wedding......there's a pattern there, I believe.

Didn't you say yesterday in post #1182 that you thought Zara would wear the scroll tiara? So... is there a reason you now think she'll wear the Fringe tiara?

Didn't you say yesterday in post #1182 that you thought Zara would wear the scroll tiara? So... is there a reason you now think she'll wear the Fringe tiara?

Yes, yes I did. It's called "changing one's mind". I do it a lot when the need arises. As for the reason I feel that way, it's in the post that you quoted.

Last edited:
There have been 65 pages about tiaras. What about necklaces and earrings for Catherine on the wedding day? Something form the Queen or something previouly worn by Diana?
Maybe a string of pearls... Even leading a low profile life in the begining of their marriage, aren't a nice pearl necklace, earrings and bracelet a must for any ellegant lady?

I agree there is a pattern there.Zara should wear the fringe tiara.

Last edited:
I'm hearing Russian Fringe, but of course Mary Hart and Jane Seymour wouldn't know the difference between The Russian Fringe and the George III fringe

That's an unnecessarily smart-assed thing to say! They might surprise you, knowing there's no difference, two names for the same piece; and they would know how to wear it as a necklace, too. :bang:

I agree there is a pattern there.Zara should wear the fringe tiara.
It would a be nice mother-daughter tradition for Zara to wear the fringe. In that case, I think it'd be nice if Catherine could be given access to the Greek Meander tiara as a tribute to Prince Philip's upcoming 90th birthday. I know the tiara belongs to the Princess Royal and could be a wedding tiara for Zara, but I haven't seen her wear it for a while. So, I want to either see Catherine in the fringe and Zara in the meander on their wedding days, or Zara in the fringe and Catherine in the meander; two beautiful tiaras that have been gone unseen for too long, perfect for any royal bride.

That's an unnecessarily smart-assed thing to say! They might surprise you, knowing there's no difference, two names for the same piece; and they would know how to wear it as a necklace, too. :bang:

Scroll down...
Mandy's British Royalty: Royal Jewels - Tiaras

Russian Fringe based on a traditional Russian Court head gear the Kokoshnik which belonged to Queen Alexandra.

George III Fringe made for Queen Charlotte.

They said the Russian Fringe Tiara which I recall Elizabeth II wore the George III fringe on her wedding day, correct me more experience royal watchers if I'm wrong.

I'm hearing Russian Fringe, but of course Mary Hart and Jane Seymour wouldn't know the difference between The Russian Fringe and the George III fringe

Well.....there is no difference between the Russian Fringe and the George III Fringe.....they're the same tiara. Just like Istanbul was Constantinople, now it's Istanbul not Constantinople, so why did Constantinople get the works? That's nobody's business but the Turks.

Point is, it's the same thing.

I think they are different tiaras that have the same design. But they are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom