The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
I am sure if she got some nice jewels, we will see them later. I mean if it is not simply a tiara for the wedding, I am sure at some royal function we will see any gifts from perhaps Charles or her fiance, later on.

I keep thinking she will be like Diana, and get some beautiful jewels from the Middle East. I know they asked for donations, but I still think the rulers from there may also give a normal gift as well. I keep picturing the incredible saphires Diana got from the crown prince of Saudi Arabia. The current king is invited, he is the half-brother of the crown prince who gave Diana the jewels.
Oh, I think you put your finger on it. I keep thinking so (somehow), too - although the larger part of my mind tells me, that in this day and age, that the jewels won't actually come. Complicated topic - deserving of much more discussion.

While it seems fairly clearly known what jewels the Queen got for her wedding (was there a formal registration of gifts?), will we ever have any idea of what the gifts are? I'm guessing it will not at all be easy to discover what the gifts actually were.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Nobility

Jewels the queen or Diana got for their wedding would not have been on a registry. Edward and Sophie had a registry, they got criticized for how expensive the items were. Its not like the King of Saudi Arabia would look at a gift registry to pick an item.

Why would the jewels not come? I am pretty certain people like the rulers of the gulf states could afford a few baubles as gifts, as well as donation. The British royal family might be very conscious of the economic situation right now, though they are still having a wedding with pomp and ceremony too, though 'toned down' for them. It would just be seen as custom for jewels, or beautiful fabrics or such to be given, somethin reflective of the country those rulers come from. For the middle eastern rulers, who aren't about to give oil or dates or something, it would be like when Canada gives gifts like canoes (I can't remember who we gave those too).

Besides the donations were asked just from people they didn't personally know. The royals tend to get thousands of gifts, from people not in attendance at the wedding. William and Kate are asking instead of those, for donations. Though I don't know if the King of Saudi Arabia could be considered a personal aquaintance, he did get an invitation.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I think Andrew and Sarah got those canoes and a buffalo head too....
Can't imagine where those all ended up!
Although Sarah has been seen paddling down the Thames!! -- just kidding!!!!

Larry
Old 03-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Nobility

I read Toronto donated food as a royal gift to Elizabeth and Philip. Toronto sent 400 tons of canned and unparishable foods to England, as the country was still recovering from the war. They decided to feed the people of the UK instead of adorning the Princess with a new necklace. Other cities did as well.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I read Toronto donated food as a royal gift to Elizabeth and Philip. Toronto sent 400 tons of canned and unparishable foods to England, as the country was still recovering from the war. They decided to feed the people of the UK instead of adorning the Princess with a new necklace. Other cities did as well.
Great idea.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
If days before your wedding the queen presents you with a tiara and choker, I'm pretty sure its clearly implied it is to be worn. I doubt she'd give expensive jewelry, and think Diana would put them in some vault. And it would be pretty crass for her not to wear such items, gifts from her mother in law. Of course she didn't wear them for her wedding, she had her family tiara, but she did wear them after.
I agree. If the Queen gives you jewels then you wear the jewels. I do understand the original question though because what if it doesn't suit your personal style? I think though that you would just "suffer" through it.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Serene Highness

I still wonder if we'll ever find out if they get diamonds from South Africa, emeralds or rubies from various places where they are mined, etc.

Do you think we'll find out?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Courtier

In the past when royals got married they would put their presents/jewels on display so the public could view them. The money from this viewing could go to charity. In fact I think they did it when the current Queen married Phillip.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:06 AM
Majesty

Just a thought: HM has brought out some very old pieces of jewellery in the last 18 months or so, ones that had not been used by her for many many years. These included the giranderole earrings (for the Order of the Thistle service last year and agin in the Middle East), the Greville chandelier earrings (in Canada) and her wedding tiara. Could it be that she just wanted to use these lovely items one last time before passing them on to Catherine?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 AM
Courtier

Possibly. Then again the Queen is quite particular about her jewels. I believe that the Grenvile jewels belonged to her mother so that could explain their absence. I don't expect the Queen to give Kate a lot of jewels right away because it is not her style.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
Possibly. Then again the Queen is quite particular about her jewels. I believe that the Grenvile jewels belonged to her mother so that could explain their absence. I don't expect the Queen to give Kate a lot of jewels right away because it is not her style.
The Queen has had access to these Greville jewels for a long time, and if I am not mistaken, her parents presented her with the Greville chandelier earrings at her wedding.

You are right, I am not expecting Catherine to be given a very vast array of jewels to begi with at all. That said, I am expecting Catherine to receive some jewels from Charles and Camilla as presents.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine will undoubtedly receive some substantial wedding gifts of jewels, both from her new in-laws as well as the Gulf emirates and Saudis. She is, after all, a future Queen as the wife of the heir to the heir.

But I do not expect her to be dripping in royal jewels right away nor will she be carrying out as many duties as Diana did upon marriage. She's not Princess of Wales yet.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I agree. If the Queen gives you jewels then you wear the jewels. I do understand the original question though because what if it doesn't suit your personal style? I think though that you would just "suffer" through it.
She may not succeed, but I think the queen would likely attempt to choose jewels which would suit the bride's tastes. She is giving them as a way of welcoming them to the family after all. The question is how well does the queen know their taste in jewels? I guess if you get some horrendous gaudy piece you have to 'suffer' through, you might know what her real opinion of you is.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Gentry

I would not be surprised if hm give kate the tiara with the pearls but not the diana tiara.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

The question(s) is:
Does Catherine need a lot of jewelry now?
Will she be on 'royal duty' right away or living with William in North Wales?

My thinking is that she will not be "out & about" as she is not The Queen and nor is she The Princess of Wales yet; and she may be seen as hogging the spotlight if she's too prominent now.
She needs to settle in and slowly emerge...

I think The Queen should lend her 'the Fringe Tiara' for her wedding and get some other jewels later on.
Of course, any wedding gifts of jewelry would be new pieces and should be suitable to a young girl, not big clunky jewelry.

Larry
Old 03-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Majesty

It would also be a diplomatic nod to Scotland.

Quote:
... the Strathmore is great option. It has no link to Diana, and could instead be an honor to his great grandmother. The tiara is beautiful and not over bearing, and the symbolism would be nice.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:11 AM
Courtier

Although I don't want it to be so, I think we'll see the Cambridge tiara on the wedding day.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Rose really did look stunning on her wedding day. Wonderful choice of tiara as well.
Oh, and how like her mother she looks on her wedding day, this is my dream bride style. The problem is my mum wanted me to wear flounces on my wedding, so we ended up compromising...
Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
Oh, and how like her mother she looks on her wedding day, this is my dream bride style. The problem is my mum wanted me to wear flounces on my wedding, so we ended up compromising...
I really don't like things like that. It's your wedding day, you're the one who's marrying, and you should look like how you want.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

You are right, I am not expecting Catherine to be given a very vast array of jewels to begi with at all. That said, I am expecting Catherine to receive some jewels from Charles and Camilla as presents.
You know, I didn't even think about this for some reason. But actually, KM will probably get an historical gift from the Queen, no doubt a substantial new gift from C&C, as well as gifts from her soontobe rich husband. It pays being the fiance of the heir to the heir.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding