The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Serene Highness

Melissadrian, thank you for the facts about the Strathmore Rose. I think it's interesting that some brides downplay their tiaras quite a bit (and that some tiaras are so much more delicate).

I wasn't suggesting that Grace was in a British wedding, but I am suggesting that Kate may have her own ideas (if what we're hearing about other aspects of the wedding are true: gifts go to charities; Muslim, Hindu and Judaic elements to the service, mini-pizzas; etc.)

Maybe she really will wear flowers in her hair! (Plus a tiara!)

Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian
I loved this outfit.
It looked so elegant. However, I don't think, Kate will wear something similar.....I hope for a tiara not seen for ages - something from Queen Mary/Alexandra.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:58 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenw View Post
Lookie, lookie! An article from the National Post (seems to be a Canadian paper), which includes a link to our Aestheticus Rex's blog post on this subject:

Post Primer: Kate Middleton’s royal wedding headgear | Posted | National Post

Wow! I have been so busy with work and art fairs to even notice. Thanks for the heads-up.

-AR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aestheticus Rex: A Tale of Tiara's: What will the Queen bestow upon Kate Middleton?
Old 03-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
...I wasn't suggesting that Grace was in a British wedding, but I am suggesting that Kate may have her own ideas (if what
The whole other customs part has already been cleared up a few times. It was a joke by a Jewish magazine in honor of the festival of Purim.

And the wedding gifts to charity, we don't know what royals usually get for gifts. do you buy them a toaster? But we do know the tradition of a tiara. All of the weddings of other British royals have had their own unique touches, but one thing remains the same, the tiara.

I think considering the ring is already a link to his mother, and Catherine really needs to get out of her shadow, the Strathmore is great option. It has no link to Diana, and could instead be an honor to his great grandmother. The tiara is beautiful and not over bearing, and the symbolism would be nice.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Thank you for that wonderful picture of Rose. I agree, she looks exquisite. The tiara really makes the ensemble, in this instance (and she could have had long hair and it would still have been beautiful). Great choice of tiara indeed.
I am going to agree with you guys that Rose looked great. The strathmore rose tiara might be a good choice for Kate. I don't know. I am worried about how small it is and how tall Kate is. Also she would have to wear her hair up because otherwise the tiara would get lost. I just wouldn't put it in front of a veil like Mary of Denmark did with her tiara/veil combination. The tiara got so lost it was barely noticeable. As for her other jewelry that day....maybe some simple earrings and that is it. She will have to think about how big/small the tiara is and then choose her jewelry wisely. I loved how Queen Mary wore her jewels but I can't see Kate pulling that off.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Nobility

Depending on the neckline, if she has the strathmore I think she needs at least some kind of necklace. Well depending on her dress. If her dress is simple and elegant, and she wears such a delicate tiara as I hope, I think she needs a little more than a pair of earrings.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
The strathmore rose tiara might be a good choice for Kate. I don't know. I am worried about how small it is and how tall Kate is. Also she would have to wear her hair up because otherwise the tiara would get lost.
Given the grand setting of the Abbey I would hope that Catherine isn't going to arrive with her hair down! Tiara or not her hair must be UP
Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Personally, I'm hoping for a mixture of up and down at the wedding. I definitely want her hair pulled back from her face, but would love to see it then cascade down in soft curls.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Personally, I'm hoping for a mixture of up and down at the wedding. I definitely want her hair pulled back from her face, but would love to see it then cascade down in soft curls.
I agree, while I think her hair needs to be up for such a grand occasion, I hope nothing tight and severe, I'd like to seee her curls.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt The Queen would empty the vaults of every tiara and lay it out in the Palace Ballroom on a table for Catherine to pursue and choose. That seems a bit over the top and rather in bad taste.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Majesty

It just does not seem realistic. My sense is that HM may have taken out a small selection of tiaras and asked Catherine to choose from them. HM has been quite selective in providing access to other ladies of the BRF to her jewels, and I would be surprised if that was to materially change at this juncture.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Gentry

In what way would it be in bad taste? It would be in bad taste if Catherine asked Her Majesty to do that, but if the Queen did it of her own accord, in what possible way could that be in bad taste? If anything, it sounds remarkably thoughtful and even practical - it would be the easiest way to view them and try them on.

Having said that, I still don't believe the story. I could perhaps see a few being brought out for Catherine to look at, but something about the "vaults being emptied" and the display being set up in a ballroom just seems too over the top.

But in bad taste? No.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen didn't do that for Diana, who was marrying her eldest son and stood to become Queen Consort. She simply handed Diana two boxes after lunch at the Palace before the wedding. The Lover's Knot Tiara was in one, while the other contained Queen Mary's Cambridge Emerald Choker.

I can see maybe showing Catherine some selections in the vault (and I doubt The Queen did it herself...more likely a lady-in-waiting or the Crown Jeweler) and checking to see if one or more tiaras might be suitable.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post

I can see maybe showing Catherine some selections in the vault (and I doubt The Queen did it herself...more likely a lady-in-waiting or the Crown Jeweler) and checking to see if one or more tiaras might be suitable.
All sounds very plausible

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The Queen didn't do that for Diana, who was marrying her eldest son and stood to become Queen Consort. She simply handed Diana two boxes after lunch at the Palace before the wedding. The Lover's Knot Tiara was in one, while the other contained Queen Mary's Cambridge Emerald Choker.
How interesting. Did you read this recently?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
Depending on the neckline, if she has the strathmore I think she needs at least some kind of necklace. Well depending on her dress. If her dress is simple and elegant, and she wears such a delicate tiara as I hope, I think she needs a little more than a pair of earrings.
Agreed. The earrings though should not be so big they drown the tiara. I like the suggestion of the curls pulled away from her face look that Princejohnny25 mentioned. The up-do is also a great choice.

As for how Diana received her jewels I heard the same story as branchg. (I think I read it in people magazine's special royal book.) I tend to believe the story because it has the restraint and thoughtfulness that the Queen puts into the jewel giveaways, no matter how infrequently they occur.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Nobility

I agree, on tending to believe the story is true. Not only because it fits the queen's personality, but if you saw it in People. People though a celeb magazine, tends to be very accurate, it isn't a tabloid magazine like a lot out there. It is why most celebrities will sell their wedding, baby and such story rights to it, as they know it will be true to the story.

But it also sounds very much like the queen. The queen is still very traditional. Her family may be moving more towards modern way of doing things, but she is still quite rooted. Okay I know she has things like an IPOD but still. It used to be pretty common the parents of the groom would give their daughter in a law a gift on her wedding day to welcome her into the family, not only royalty. It was usually something presented on or just before the wedding. I think the queen will definitely consider what Kate would like and what would suit her, perhaps get advice, but I do see it being a surprise.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I keep hoping they'll do a formal function before the wedding and that she's received a nice piece as an engagement present, but that's probably wishful thinking!
True nothing has been listed. But mahap a family dinner (which means that we will not see any jewels)
Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldorlord View Post
True nothing has been listed. But mahap a family dinner (which means that we will not see any jewels)
I am sure if she got some nice jewels, we will see them later. I mean if it is not simply a tiara for the wedding, I am sure at some royal function we will see any gifts from perhaps Charles or her fiance, later on.

I keep thinking she will be like Diana, and get some beautiful jewels from the Middle East. I know they asked for donations, but I still think the rulers from there may also give a normal gift as well. I keep picturing the incredible saphires Diana got from the crown prince of Saudi Arabia. The current king is invited, he is the half-brother of the crown prince who gave Diana the jewels.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Serene Highness

So, when the Queen presented Diana with the boxes, there was an understanding that she had to wear the items (or not)? (I'm just asking). In my family, such a gift would be understood to be important to wear, no question.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
So, when the Queen presented Diana with the boxes, there was an understanding that she had to wear the items (or not)? (I'm just asking). In my family, such a gift would be understood to be important to wear, no question.
If days before your wedding the queen presents you with a tiara and choker, I'm pretty sure its clearly implied it is to be worn. I doubt she'd give expensive jewelry, and think Diana would put them in some vault. And it would be pretty crass for her not to wear such items, gifts from her mother in law. Of course she didn't wear them for her wedding, she had her family tiara, but she did wear them after.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding