Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about this one ?
Nizam of Hyderabad Parure - Necklace and Tiara | Das Geschenk des Nizams von Hyderabad and die Knigin von England
I think it's lovely and not to big. Does anyone knows what is the current situation of it? Does QEII still wear it? has it been sold?

There really is not much clarity on what happened with the Nizam tiara, and whether it is still in excistence. Some have suggetsed that it was broken up (the flowers appear to have survived as brooches) to provide diamonds for the Burmese ruby tiara that the Queen had made in the 1960s. Other joolies seem to think that the tiara remains intact. Any which way, it has not been seen for a very long time, probably since the 1960s.

There really is not much clarity on what happened with the Nizam tiara, and whether it is still in excistence. Some have suggetsed that it was broken up (the flowers appear to have survived as brooches) to provide diamonds for the Burmese ruby tiara that the Queen had made in the 1960s. Other joolies seem to think that the tiara remains intact. Any which way, it has not been seen for a very long time, probably since the 1960s.

The brooches were always removable.
HM still wears the necklace regularly.
The grounds for belief that the tiara still exists are from a comment in what is referred to as "Mega Munn"! In this book, the author refers to the tiara in the present tense rather than in the past tense that he would use if it no longer exists.

1952 was the last spotting of the Nizam (tiara), worn by HM. What is the copyright on the book you're using?

IMHO I do feel strongly that Catherine will wear her hair 'half-up/half-down' - I think her hairstyle on the official visit to Lancashire was a hint as to how it will be styled on the wedding day.
I'm convinced she will wear a tiara - most recent Royal brides, save Camilla & Anne at her second marriage, have done so - but I'm just not sure as to which of the aforementioned ones it will be.
Personally I love the Strathmore Rose, both for its design and the sentimental connotations but I just feel Catherine's personal style is too different from the style of this gorgeous tiara. She's clean, simple, elegant lines - not flowery or 'flouncy' in any way.
Diana's style was more romantic and sweet and the Cambridge Lover's Knot really suited her. I'm not so sure that it will be as fitting for Catherine. But that's my only objection to it - I think it's a lovely tiara also, and I have absolutely no problems with its provenance - the fact that it is so strongly associated with Diana. A commentator during the coverage may make an arch reference to it but the majority of viewers will love the fact that it has that association - if she does wear it.
I'd love to see her in something very simple and clean - perhaps a jewelled headband - are these called diadems? (My intimate knowledge of jewel terms is not so intimate...)
I hope that the Middletons purchase a new or antique tiara that she can call her own but I doubt it. I suspect they will contribute very gorgeous and expensive earrings for the day. I hope she doesn't wear pearls - I'm superstitious about them and think it's best to stick to diamonds at weddings but I know many brides disregard the superstition, including many royal brides.
I also hope she's not 'over-jewelled' - English brides in general tend to go overboard when it comes to detailing in their wedding dresses/outfits. It's not a bad thing, just not to my taste. But I think of Lady Helen Taylor's wedding dress and jewels - rather ornate collar, heavy detailing and then quite a heavy necklace AND tiara. Don't get me wrong, she looked lovely, there was just a lot going on.
I preferred the simplicity of Lady Sarah Chatto's wedding dress and I am crossing my fingers that the rumours about Jasper Conran designing Catherine's dress are correct and we may see another Pre-Raphaelite inspired bride.

A tiara is never bought by commoners ! It's unlikely the Middleton family will purchase one for her .
Commoners, but not so commoners anymore. I have to disagree with you. I believe Kate will wear a tiara...and who wouldn't? The one , who didn't wear tiaras on their royal weddings were the second- time -around brides( as I recall from the videos and photos) Most likely it will be a tiara from the Middletons, secretly purchased at some point. About the hair, as someone mentioned above, half up and half down.

A tiara is never bought by commoners !

A tiara is purchased by whomever has the money to afford it. That's called capitalism in practice.

Ghastly though , so middle class . It's not appropriate to wear necklaces on a soon to be Royal bride.

I'm sorry, what? It's "middle class" to wear a necklace on your wedding day? What exactly is wrong with being "middle class"?

Not an appropriate comment , re the bride of the future King of England

Oh, loosen up. It was a joke. I don't actually think Catherine is going to walk down the aisle with a bucket of chicken on her head. It's called hyperbole. Besides, I'm an American. Catherine and her marriage mean diddly squat to me in terms of where I live. I'm just an observer on the sidelines.

Queen Victoria | Sapphir Diamond Tiara Parure
Don't know if this one has been motioned yet... but how absolutely STUNNING would it look with the ring. As of 1997 it is still in existence but in the hands of one of Victoria's descendants so probably Kate can't use it. A girl can dream can't she?
imgres

This one would go great but I'm not totally in love with it also the Queen just added it to her collection not sure if she wants to part with it yet.

My Pick for Tiara

If Catherine does not wear a crown of flowers on her head on her wedding day, I would predict the Strathmore Rose or the Cambridge with its cushion cut sapphires. She will be wearing a veil and her hair will be down. Those are my predictions...

You can say that again, KittyAtlanta! There is a fine line between not wanting to overdo the glitz and glamour for the sake of hard times, or going overboard trying to please, and in the process losing some of the magic. I remember my mother telling me that, no matter how hard things were in the depression, they still went to the movies and loved to watch people dress up and wear jewels. It was fun -- and it took people's minds off their troubles. And I remember reading that the Queen (Mother) dressed up every day that she went out with the King to visit areas of London that had been bombed during the blitz, and she wore day dresses, but with furs, hats and jewels. She knew that people appreciated her efforts and it gave them a lift to see her beautifully attired, as they expected a queen to be.

This is the only marriage of an heir for another full generation (assuming this marriage survives) and they need to realize that they will miss an opportunity to bond people further to them by inspiring us with the pomp and ceremony -- and the beautiful dress and jewels so many people look forward to seeing.

Great post. I'm with you 100%:)

I must say that if Catherine takes the same approach, she has chosen a lovely time of year for her wedding, because it is Spring and I think Spring Flowers are lovely.

I would Love if Catherine pulls a Sarah. It's such a symbolic gesture and we get the best of both worlds with beautiful flowers and a glamorous tiara

Me too, Lady Oona! Maybe it could become a new tradition for non-royal brides marrying royal bridegrooms...flowers in, diamonds out. Lovely!

I hope she chooses something that reflects her own graceful style - well on her way to being serene, modern, and confidant, without being particularly demure or shy. Kate seems like a modern young woman, and I'd love to see a modern style tiara - created just for her. It doesn't have to have diamonds, but I agree with others who have said that diamonds are wonderful for weddings (and other occasions), but it doesn't have to be prohibitively expensive for her family.

I think the family will always be glad if they do give her the tiara she wears on her wedding day, and it is truly her own tiara.

I' am a little confused? When did QEII add QV's sapphire tiara to her collection? Everybody is saying this is one of the opptions for Kate, I though this belonged to someone else?

As nice/original as the "flowers in, diamonds out" idea may be, the fact that it is a copy of the Sarah Ferguson does not, IMO, lend itself to a good imitation. I would rather see an elegant Kate with an elegant tiara come down the aisle. Unfortunately Sarah Duchess of York did not set a good precedent. Maybe sometime in later years but imo, it is too early for that imitation.

It's been 25 years since she married Andrew. I think that's enough time if Catherine wanted to go with that idea, but it's not likely that she will.

I' am a little confused? When did QEII add QV's sapphire tiara to her collection? Everybody is saying this is one of the opptions for Kate, I though this belonged to someone else?
Queen Victoria's and Queen Elizabeth's tiaras are separate. Queen Victoria's sapphire tiara was commisoned by Prince Albert. The location of this tiara is believed to be in the possesion of one of her many descendants. Queen Elizabeth recently commissoned her tiara to go with her sapphire jewels.

Just an off the wall thought. What if Kate decides not to wear anything at all other than her bridal veil? If she goes for the simplistic look, this very well could be a possibility. I hope not though.

just an off the wall thought. What if kate decides not to wear anything at all other than her bridal veil? If she goes for the simplistic look, this very well could be a possibility. I hope not though.
don't even go there!!;)

Queen Victoria's sapphire tiara was inherited by Queen Alexandra and was one of the pieces retained by George V after his mother's death in 1925. It was given to his daughter, Mary, The Princess Royal, as a wedding gift when she married The Earl of Harewood and remains with the family today.

If I were Kate and my parents had the money to buy me a tiara, I would be asking them if I could design one for my wedding day! That, far more than my gown, would hold my interest. The gown would be worn only once. The tiara I could wear many times and could be passed down for many generations to come. I would truly love to be able to design a delicate tiara with precious jewels!

rawsilk

Yes, exactly. The only proviso is that it's worn by a bride or a married woman, unless the single woman is a princess--or a beauty pageant queen;). I don't like the recent trend of fake tiaras being worn for proms and so on; but then, I'm a bit of a stickler for these kinds of things.

A tiara is purchased by whomever has the money to afford it. That's called capitalism in practice.

I think miss Middelton , will wear Queen Marys , Russian Kokoshnik tiara .it was worn by her majesty Queen Alexandra , Queen Mary , and the current Queen . Imposing and majestic it is formed of sixty one platinum bars , and totally encrusted with 488 diamonds .
Imposing, majestic and totally unsuitable for the heir's heir!

What is likely is that the Queen Marys tiara , Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara .A wedding present to future Queen Mary .A diamond festoon and scroll design, with diamond spikes , set on a bandeau base of alternate round and lozenge collets between two plain bands of diamonds .
Great heavens above! Is the Queen required to sacrifice one of her favourite and often worn tiara's at the altar of a young woman with little or no use for any tiara's, at least for the next few years and whose only claim to fame is marrying the heir's heir. Over Her Majesty's dead and rotting corpse, I suspect.

How incredibly inappropriate and totally ageist. Catherine has absolutely no use for either of these significant, much loved and much worn tiara's. Is the Queen to go fossic in the vaults to find a second or third best choice having given her favourite away? Where is the logic? William has attended how many State Banquets? And is expected to attend how many more in the next few years?

How many times has her Gracious Majesty knocked our socks off at those relatively frequent State Occasions. Remember the Banquet for the French President?

Those are tiara's that Catherine will aspire to, grow into as she matures. Wearing one such now would be a travesty!

Last edited:
could prince william give her one for a wedding present? or will it have to come from her parents? i guess i dont understand how this is working. my husband gave my diamond earrings for our wedding day and i wore them that day. would it really be that different?

Imposing, majestic and totally unsuitable for the heir's heir!

Great heavens above! Is the Queen required to sacrifice one of her favourite and often worn tiara's at the altar of a young woman with little or no use for any tiara's, at least for the next few years and who's only claim to fame is marrying the heir's heir. Over Her Majesty's dead and rotting corpse, I suspect.

How incredibly inappropriate and totally ageist. Catherine has absolutely no use for either of these significant, much loved and much worn tiara's. Is the Queen to go fossic in the vaults to find a second or third best choice having given her favourite away? Where is the logic? William has attended how many State Banquets? And is expected to attend how many more in the next few years?

How many times has her Gracious Majesty knocked our socks off at a relatively frequent State Occasion. Remember the Banquet for the French President?

Those are tiara's that Catherine will aspire to, grow into as she matures. Wearing one such now would be a travesty!

Well said, Marg!

I hope she chooses something that reflects her own graceful style - well on her way to being serene, modern, and confidant, without being particularly demure or shy. Kate seems like a modern young woman, and I'd love to see a modern style tiara - created just for her. It doesn't have to have diamonds, but I agree with others who have said that diamonds are wonderful for weddings (and other occasions), but it doesn't have to be prohibitively expensive for her family.

I think the family will always be glad if they do give her the tiara she wears on her wedding day, and it is truly her own tiara.

Yes, I agree. And in light of Michael Middleton commissioning the coat of arms for the entire family's use, I'm revising my thoughts on whether they might purchase a tiara for her or not. I think now that they just might.

Has it been discussed yet whether we think Kate's veil will cover her face?

I hope not; I know many people consider that mysterious and romantic, but I don't care for it. It's really dated, too.

Jacknch said:

I echo Mirabel, I dislike it too and hope not- my vote is she will not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom