The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Serene Highness

KittyAtlanta, I agree. Some of those Sarah Burton gowns definitely qualify as "cupcake" to me, so yes, we'll have to see how cupcakey Kate will go.

It is a woman's one chance to wear cupcake, and it is rather traditional for brides to go that route.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Aristocracy

I will say that looking back at the pictures. I looked like a marshmallow.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
It has to do with status, though. Harry's wife won't have the status of a Queen or a Princess of Wales unless William dies and Harry has to take his place. This tiara is one that is worn by women of a higher status within the Royal family than that of wife to a King's or Prince of Wales' younger brother.
But he is still a prince. Andrew was the second son, and his wife wore a tiara. Edward is the third son, and an earl, his wife wore a tiara. Perhaps lesser tiaras, but still wore them. Harry will be Duke of...... eventually, just as his Uncle, and his wife a Duchess. While perhaps a more minore tiara not originally worn by queens might seem more suitable, he is Diana's son as much as William. I don't see the problem with his future bride being lent the use of the tiara t least for her wedding.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The main argument against pieces with a substantive royal history being provided to the wife of Harry is that there is a real possibility that in time, the jewels may be sold, and hence leave the royal family...
The same provision could be made for the tiara given to Harry's bride as Diana's, that it could not be sold or lent out, that it was hers in her life time. It would take care of any concern it might be sold off.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
The same provision could be made for the tiara given to Harry's bride as Diana's, that it could not be sold or lent out, that it was hers in her life time. It would take care of any concern it might be sold off.
I believe that is the provision for most if not all of the current royal brides at least in the Queen's line. Even in Margaret's line the only tiara sold was the one that was bought for her by the Queen.

Maybe the British royals could have a jewel foundation like the one established in the Netherlands and Sweden. You could "earmark" certain jewels for the Queen and then the rest could be worn by anybody but not sold by anybody. That would eliminate a lot of problems.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The only possibilities are (1) a brand-new tiara purchased as a wedding gift; (2) the Lover's Knot Tiara as it was in safekeeping for when William married
For this exact reason I believe that we will see the Lover's Knot Tiara at the wedding. But we shall see.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Honestly, I was opposed to Kate using the Lover's knot, but the more I think about it- the more I think it would be lovely on her. And... Why shouldn't she be comfortable wearing jewels passed down from her husband's late mother? So yea- still prefer girls of great Britain, but the Lover's knot is quite beautiful.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 AM
Majesty

Whether Catherine wears the Lover's Knot tiara or not, and personally I hope not, as it is a bit "in your face" for a first foray into a tiara event. It runs the risk of overwhelming both the wearer and her wedding, as it is after all, rather magnificent and carries with it a remarkable history, that runs the risk of overshadowing the entire event.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Serene Highness

I'm really gunning for the fringe tiara now, partially because fringe tiaras are my favorites. Even though it's been mostly associated with the female Windsor line--the Queen Mum, the Queen and the Princess Royal--I think it would be perfect for Catherine. The Queen Mum stopped wearing it, more or less, by the 50s. The Queen and Princess Royal really only wore them on their wedding days, although, I guess the Queen has worn it a few times since the Queen Mum's death.
I guess the only probably with Catherine wearing it on her wedding day is if Zara is to continue the female-line bridal tradition, it would be awkward seeing her wearing it 3 months after Catherine's wedding.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the fringe is unlikely just because I do think it will be worn by Zara at her wedding.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I think the fringe is unlikely just because I do think it will be worn by Zara at her wedding.
Irresepective of whether Catherine wears the fringe or not, IMO, Zara will not be using the fringe tiara. Instead, I think she will wear one of the tiaras that Anne regularly uses: either the Greek Meander tiara or the Festoon tiara that Autumn wore at her wedding.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Courtier

I would not mind seeing Kate in the Lover's Knot ...and hearing them called Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would put the icing on the wedding cake for me...
Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think she will wear one of the tiaras that Anne regularly uses
Quite true. Zara will, I'm sure, use one of her mothers tiara's.

She won't wear the fringe.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Aristocracy

I think that we will have to wait untill after the wedding to see "the good stuff". Not long to go now.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldorlord
I think that we will have to wait untill after the wedding to see "the good stuff". Not long to go now.
I keep hoping they'll do a formal function before the wedding and that she's received a nice piece as an engagement present, but that's probably wishful thinking!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Perhaps William will use his mother's wedding band? Just a thought.
Personally, as I myself was given my husband's deceased grandmother's wedding band 20 years ago, I am proud to wear it every day. I hope that the two of them are happily married for many decades.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I'm really gunning for the fringe tiara now, partially because fringe tiaras are my favorites. Even though it's been mostly associated with the female Windsor line--the Queen Mum, the Queen and the Princess Royal--I think it would be perfect for Catherine. The Queen Mum stopped wearing it, more or less, by the 50s. The Queen and Princess Royal really only wore them on their wedding days, although, I guess the Queen has worn it a few times since the Queen Mum's death.
I guess the only probably with Catherine wearing it on her wedding day is if Zara is to continue the female-line bridal tradition, it would be awkward seeing her wearing it 3 months after Catherine's wedding.
It is my choice as well for the reasons you listed perfectly. It has almost become the "wedding" tiara for the family so I don't mind if Zara were to wear it. Though I do think the Greek tiara would look nice on her.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Majesty

I hope the Queen or Camilla provide Catherine with a nice pair of diamond or pearl and diamond earrings to wear for the wedding.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
For this exact reason I believe that we will see the Lover's Knot Tiara at the wedding. But we shall see.
i think we will see the Lover's Knot tiara also because William probably remembers times seeing his mum all dressed up with it on. Gazing at Kate in her bridal finery, he'll also have a gentle reminder that in a way, his mum is there with him on his special day. Especially too if he is named the Duke of Cambridge prior to the wedding.

If Kate does wear the Lover's Knot, I then expect her to choose to wear pearls.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Commoner

Lookie, lookie! An article from the National Post (seems to be a Canadian paper), which includes a link to our Aestheticus Rex's blog post on this subject:

Post Primer: Kate Middleton’s royal wedding headgear | Posted | National Post

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding