The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
That may be Chelsy

May it be a cold day in the underworld before she wears it should they, at some point, wed.
I couldn't agree more! Ms Davy puts the common into Commoner!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
...This blog has s photoshopped pic of Kate wearing it, anyone seen this?
Kate wearing Diana's Cambridge Lovers Knot' tiara - Princess Diana Remembered
Well, I have to admit she looks nice wearing it. just hope she doesn't wear it for the wedding. Like others have said, to much Diana too soon.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
...Camilla is Princess of Wales, and future Queen (irrespective of what she may be styled), so very much at the heart of the royal family. Harry's wife will not be outside of the "main line", and hence the possibility of a new tiara or a "lesser" tiara.
If Charles is King and Willism has no children yet wouldn't that put Harry in line where Willism now is and would that make his wife eligible for 'higher' tiara? Or is it a question of title?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
If Charles is King and Willism has no children yet wouldn't that put Harry in line where Willism now is and would that make his wife eligible for 'higher' tiara? Or is it a question of title?
I suspect that in the limited case that it becomes reasonably clear with the passage of time that Catherine and William are unable to have any children, and Harry has produced a suitable heir will the issue of comparability with William's current status truely arise - outside of that, Harry will continue to be suitably "subordinated" to William.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
A lot of blogs/articles state the Queen owns it....If William owns it then wouldn't that be what he gives Catherine? Why would the Queen have to 'gift' it to her? I'm sorry I have been under the impression for a long time that tiara belongs to the Crown and from what I've read I don't seem to be the only one.
The Lover's Knot Tiara belongs to The Queen as she inherited it from her grandmother, Queen Mary. She wore it throughout the 1950's and then it suddenly went into the vaults until 1981, when she gave it to Diana as a wedding gift.

The expectation was Diana would certainly outlive The Queen, therefore, provision was made in her divorce agreement that any royal jewels must remain within the family and never be lent or sold. Since she died a year later, the jewels were returned to The Queen as they are her personal property.

It's entirely up to The Queen as to what, if any, royal jewels will be given to Catherine. She may choose not to give her anything and the tiara could be something brand-new.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you, this is what I thought :)
Old 03-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Yeah, you have to be wary of the terminology that can be used (or rather, misused) when it comes to the subject of royal jewels. "Returned to the Crown" indicates that something has been returned as an item of State wheras the Lovers Knot was returned to the Queen as it, and virtually all of her tiaras save a couple, are her personal and private property.

The tiaras which are "Crown" or "State", meaning they cannot be disposed of, are the Diamond Diadem of George IV and the Regal Indian tiara. That's it.

"Returned to the vaults" is just an expression meaning that the Queen has it (whatever "it" may be) and the item has been safely locked up in those dark and mysterious vaults that lie beneath Buckingham Palace. It also conveys the sense that once in "the vaults", the item may not see the light of day again for a very long time. Hopefully that won't be the case with the Lover's Knot, although there are plenty of other tiaras, not seen for decades or even generations, that are deserving of a regular outing.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Royal Highness

I sincerely hope that the Lover's Knot is not worn by Kate on her wedding day--it would be unfair to immediately draw the comparisons between her and Diana. Also, it is a heavy piece (according to Diana) and not very practical for an all day wedding affair. I think that we will likely see the scroll or one of Queen Mary's lozenge/bandeau tiaras that day. Or, if we're really lucky, the Nizm tiara will be worn (thus answering the question of whether or not it was broken up!).

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The main argument against pieces with a substantive royal history being provided to the wife of Harry is that there is a real possibility that in time, the jewels may be sold, and hence leave the royal family...
I understand the argument used in relationship to both Kate and Camilla in regards to their marriage to "higher" people. However, I think it would be a great step for the family to acknowledge harry's and his wife's importance. He is always going to be on the world stage by virtue of birth.

I just think that their are enough things to go around. I know sophie's tiara is not the best the idea is very nice. Maybe that would be good idea since she has the ring. So much of who she is has been compared to Diana that she needs her own identity.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I understand the argument used in relationship to both Kate and Camilla in regards to their marriage to "higher" people. However, I think it would be a great step for the family to acknowledge harry's and his wife's importance. He is always going to be on the world stage by virtue of birth.
Not sure why the family would need to acknowledge the importance of Harry and his wife. As the second son of the King, or the brother of the King, his position within the BRF will always be clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I just think that their are enough things to go around. I know sophie's tiara is not the best the idea is very nice. Maybe that would be good idea since she has the ring. So much of who she is has been compared to Diana that she needs her own identity.
You are right, I am sure there is plenty to go around for both Catherine and Harry's wife without having to use the Lovers Knot tiara. In subsequent years, Catherine could probably use it, but I would hope it is not her main tiara, and certainly not one she is wearing at her wedding.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Nobility

Another Tiara Hypothesis

The last time I ventured a tiara opinion, I learned from fellow 'forumees' that I knew very little about the rituals of tiara owning/loaning/wearing of the BRF. But I'm going to stick my neck out again.

IMHO: Judging from KM's general taste in wardrobe, I think that if (a BIG IF) the full tiara collection is opened to her, she might just choose a fringe or the kokoshnik because they have simpler lines yet are very elegant. Some of the others, including the Strathmore, are quite detailed and to me have the look of being from another age about them -- and this is in spite of the fact that I find the Strathmore to be quite lovely!

I think in particular if she chooses to wear haute couture, she may want a tiara of simpler lines. (BTW, I am a designer, and I admit my personal taste affects my opinion.)

It also seems to me that the Girls of GB could work with just about any style. It really is an amazing piece. I also think The Lover's Knot seems quite detailed and is too stylized to wear with high couture, but would look great on KM for subsequent usage. (The Diana issue should be tabled forever IMHO.) I noted that QE II wore it when she was young. With its swinging pearls and love knots, it is a fabulous young woman's tiara (despite the fact that Q Mary wore it until she was quite old). At any rate, just some thoughts to put out there.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Courtier

It just seemed to me that when you read the other forum (harry's wife's future tiara) most people think she should get a new one and Kate should all the historical pieces. My fault for crossing discussions.

As for the lover's knot tiara I hope it will go to Harry's wife but since this is a kate forum I think a reworked historical piece is perfect. Too much of her character is being pushed aside due to comparisons between her and Diana. Perhaps a new/reworked piece like Sophie's will give the feeling of acceptance while still allowing her to create her own identity which is lacking because the media can't stop comparing her to Diana.

Susanna Wynne, I agree that the fringe would work with her hair up or down. I think the problem with the strathmore for me is that it is such a petite tiara and kate is a tall person so the dimensions are not there for me.

I do think that while Diana should be tabled, in regards to the fact that she is her own person and nobody will be like her again, I think that is wishful thinking on our part.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Aristocracy

first came Diana's sapphire ring, now the eating disorder.... *ducks*
Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Serene Highness

I am a fan of the kokoshnik, for Kate, because I think it suits her slim, elegant lines and would accentuate her hair (and would work with her hair down - in fact, she could be quite stunning with the kokoshnik and a slightly shorter, somewhat upcurled hairdo).

It's a stately tiara, and I think it suits Kate's non-frou frou style.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Majesty

It's not uncommon for brides to lose weight before a wedding. I'd guess that Kate has much more busy-ness and stress than the average bride and more reason to "nerve off" the calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
Old 03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Majesty

Agreed. Kate seems to be a woman who has simple, very good taste. I think that her choice could very well be as you suggest, a lot of exquisite detail in a dress, paired with a simple tiara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
[FONT="Georgia"]
I think in particular if she chooses to wear haute couture, she may want a tiara of simpler lines.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post

It's entirely pathetic that you find making such an insensitive comment as that, rather humerous.

It's beyond poor taste.

As for the discussion of tiaras....

The Kokoshnik, the G of GB & I and the Vladimir are all out of the question i'd endevour to suggest. These are the Queen's three principal tiaras and no one has worn them other than the Queen. Not her mother, not her sister, not her daughter, nor her cousins' wives. No one. It will be the very same for Catherine.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

The only possibilities are (1) a brand-new tiara purchased as a wedding gift; (2) the Lover's Knot Tiara as it was in safekeeping for when William married; (3) another tiara from the vaults that belonged to Queen Mary or Queen Alexandra that hasn't been seen in many years, perhaps remodeled or updated.

The Queen is definitely not going to give Catherine any of her current tiaras, most of which belong to her personally or were inherited in right of the Crown per Queen Mary's will.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The Queen is definitely not going to give Catherine any of her current tiaras, most of which belong to her personally or were inherited in right of the Crown per Queen Mary's will.
Although I can see that it is pretty unlikely that Kate would wear a tiara that the Queen has worn in recent years, I wonder why you think is very unlikely that she may lend a tiara such as the fringe?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
...It's a stately tiara, and I think it suits Kate's non-frou frou style.
Many a non "frou frou" bride has appeared in a cupcake wedding gown!!! We'll have to wait and see!

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding