Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure she will wear a tiara. Junior member of the family, Autumn, wears one. It's impossible for kate not to wear one. Flowers ? maybe for the evening reception a beautiful chignon with some flowers? but not in the Abbaye. The wedding is "nearly" a state affaire. 50 heads of state, the whole house of parliament and MP's, former primes ministers (M. Tatcher, Blair, etc...), Governors and leaders of political parties, two reception in a day, all religious dignitaries, on this scale it's pretty evident she will borrow a tiara from the queen or the queen mother (via the prince of wales). And remember in the Telegraph an article about a hairdresser (not Richard Ward, Kate'Hairdresser) but the one of Kate Moss, a concurrent (a rival), who said he regrets the decision of Kate's hairdresser to comb her hair up for the tiara, and taht she be more beautiful with her hair down with it? Flowers is maybe good for a minor member of the family but as Prince Harry said "William being who he is...". I pray for a tiara. Just 3 weeks and ... TATA ...

I really do hope she chooses to wear a tiara! Couldn't she do both; wear a tiara and have a couple of flowers in her hair? If she would have a nice updo (I do hope she will be wearing her hair up in some kind of a nice hairdo like the ones we see Crown Princess Mary and Crown Princess Victoria wear), she could have a couple of roses or orchids in her hair and the tiara with the veil. Or, compromise and wear a floral tiara! ;)

I think a lot of people will be disappointed if Catherine decides to be "plain" and "ordinary" or in her words "modern". We see floral hair arrangements and cheap tiaras all the time at weddings. Finally we have a chance to be able to see something glittery and beautiful and she wants to break the tradition... :bang: I come from a country where there's no royals so I want to see tiaras! Here's hoping she will be wearing them in the future too.

I can just about accept Prince William not wearing his wedding ring (funnily enough, here in Finland it used to be the tradition that both get plain engagement rings and only the bride gets the wedding ring) but no tiara... What's next, she doesn't want any titles either?

Who says that she wants to break the tradition? Is that because of the Daily Mail article? Who says that it's true?

I am absolutely certain that Kate will wear a tiara on her wedding day.

I can only imagine that the article in the DM was written by a bored, slightly deranged, less-than-brilliant journalist living in a dingy bedsit surrounded by empty takeaway cartons and half-eaten pizzas, who sadly spends all their life devising ludicrous and frankly rather cheap stories for abit of pin-money because they do not have the wit, the brains, nor the true journalist capacity to go out and be inspired by what is really going on in the world.

Not sure if Daily Mail said she wants to "break the tradition" or was it the papers here where I live.

The more I think about the more I feel this is just one of those cheap gossip stories penned just to make money. Although William and Catherine are modern royals (or well, royal and royal-to-be) they have already shown us they do follow traditions and respect them. Otherwise they wouldn't have gone ahead with a very traditional royal wedding in the Abbey, chosen a fruitcake etc. If Catherine was so unconventional she didn't want to wear a tiara then I hardly think she would've chosen to wear Diana's ring either. Even if it means a lot to William I'm sure she would have been able to get another ring.

I guess the papers want to create more drama by alluding that there's tension between the DoC and miss Middleton. The papers here also insinuated that the Duchess is a big fan of tiaras making it seem like she was a greedy woman that only had her eyes on the diamonds when she married Charles.

I can't wait for the wedding! I do hope she chooses something spectacular, maybe even something that hasn't been seen in a long while. She certainly should have a very good collection to choose from.

Last edited:
The Strathmore Tiara belongs to HM now it was gifted to the QM on her wedding day by her father the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne.

Note: The QM did not wear the Strathmore on her wedding day. she had a simple headpiece of mryth(sp) and flowers (roses I believe) ...

How about The Duchess of Teck Circlet tiara..(I think it is also a neckless) does anyone know some history or if HM still has it? It is wonderful and is much more grand!
http://coloreddiamond.info/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2804.0;attach=23227
http://coloreddiamond.info/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2804.0;attach=23228

I agree, the Teck Circlet worn as a tiara once more would be a fab choice. It does have an air of modernity about it...

AR

I've got a feeling that we will see Cambridge Lover's Knot. It's beautiful tiara and would suit Kate a lot but for media it will be next reason to comparing Kate and Diana. The other tiaras are big mystery for me. I wish to be very suprised at the wedding.

Not sure if Daily Mail said she wants to "break the tradition" or was it the papers here where I live.
It's funny whenever papers are talking about the couple breaking tradition when in fact, most of the supposed "modern" touches are actually older traditions. Most royal brides pre-1930s did NOT wear tiaras but in fact, wore flowers (orange blossom and other floral wreaths) like the "modern" Catherine is supposedly fighting Camilla about. The other example is the announcement that William will "break tradition" by not wearing a wedding ring. Got that wrong, too since it seems like that tradition is only about 60 years old
BBC News - Weddings rings: Have men always worn them?

I've got a feeling that we will see Cambridge Lover's Knot. It's beautiful tiara and would suit Kate a lot but for media it will be next reason to comparing Kate and Diana. The other tiaras are big mystery for me. I wish to be very suprised at the wedding.

For the longest time the Lover's Knot is what I put my doughnut bet on as I do think it would be perfect for this wedding but the more I've read and learned about tiaras, I'm thinking perhaps it wouldn't be a wise choice for the wedding day due to the weight of it. Whatever she wears as a headpiece, she will have to wear for quite a long amount of time. The Lover's Knot, I believe, gave Diana headaches even. The Strathmore Rose seems to be a might lighter piece and I think would be much more comfortable for Kate along with being very historical and fitting. Perhaps even this is why she is maybe considering a floral arrangement in lieu of a tiara as been rumored. The last thing needed would be for the bride to be uncomfortable or with a headache on HER day.

I really, really hope she doesn't wear the Lover's Knot tiara. There are too many comparisons between her and Diana already, that would send the mill into overdrive and it would totally overshadow her and William's day. Which would be unfair to them.

I too hope she does not wear that tiara, very pretty and all but it would certainly bring a lot more comparisons and that is not ideal. Diana was an amazing women, and is being featured at this event through the engagement ring, that is enough IMO.

Royal Insight Article said:
When Prince William gave Kate his Mother’s engagement ring it was said to be done with the impetus of keeping his mother close to and involved in the occasion. Perhaps the same will occur with the Cambridge tiara - particularly if the newly weds become the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge it would posses very apt ties.

This article seems to suggest it might be the case with the tiara though, do we know who has this tiara now? Did Prince william inherit it?:ermm:

The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara | Royal Insight

I really, really hope she doesn't wear the Lover's Knot tiara. There are too many comparisons between her and Diana already, that would send the mill into overdrive and it would totally overshadow her and William's day. Which would be unfair to them.

I would think though that if she did wear the Lovers Knot, it would be expressly for its association with William's mother and it would make William happy. What the press and/or anyone else would think wouldn't matter to them one bit.

We have to remember too that it is us and the general public that will be seeing the "comparison" issues and tabloid articles. I really doubt that Wills and Kate are really going to care one iota about what is in the press. I do think the Lover's Knot would be perfect but for reasons stated earlier, perhaps unwise for a very long day for a woman not used to a heavy tiara. All I can say is that if we do see the Lover's Knot on her head when she steps out of that car, we know how much she'll go through to make her Wills happy.

As to where the Lover's Knot tiara is now, I believe it is in the Queen's possession as it was returned to her after the death of Diana.

Last edited:
I would think though that if she did wear the Lovers Knot, it would be expressly for its association with William's mother and it would make William happy. What the press and/or anyone else would think wouldn't matter to them one bit.

We have to remember too that it is us and the general public that will be seeing the "comparison" issues and tabloid articles. I really doubt that Wills and Kate are really going to care one iota about what is in the press. I do think the Lover's Knot would be perfect but for reasons stated earlier, perhaps unwise for a very long day for a woman not used to a heavy tiara. All I can say is that if we do see the Lover's Knot on her head when she steps out of that car, we know how much she'll go through to make her Wills happy.

As to where the Lover's Knot tiara is now, I believe it is in the Queen's possession as it was returned to her after the death of Diana.

The Cambridge Lovers Knot is much more associated with Queen Mary and the Teck family thyan Diana. I hope she does not wear it.

Cailin Deas said:
The Cambridge Lovers Knot is much more associated with Queen Mary and the Teck family thyan Diana. I hope she does not wear it.

Maybe to historians but to the masses,press and general public I think the Teck family isn't even relevant, it's more closely associated w/ Diana , especially if woren on her son's wedding day

Kate will wear one because she will be expected to attend white tie events but the question is which jewels and tiara(s) will she wear?
Pictures please

Thank you for the blog! After seeing the photoshopped picture below on your blog, my vote is for the Queen Mother's scroll tiara.....it seems pretty, but not to small or big for her

Mobile Photobucket

I believe the Queen Mother gifted that to Princess Margaret, and is thus in her family, and not available for Catherine to wear.

I think the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara would work quite well; it's versatile, since it can be worn with pearls or emeralds. It's more substantial than the Strathmore rose, but not as overwhelming as the Fringe.

Thank you for the blog! After seeing the photoshopped picture below on your blog, my vote is for the Queen Mother's scroll tiara.....it seems pretty, but not to small or big for her

Mobile Photobucket

I believe the Queen Mother gifted that to Princess Margaret, and is thus in her family, and not available for Catherine to wear.

I'm not sure of that--I believe Princess Margaret wore it before her marriage, but that Princess Anne wore it after that in her younger days. Here's a photo:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/WKirkwood/UK/UKAnneScrollTiara.jpg

The implication to me is that the Queen or Queen Mother lent the tiara out, but that it is one of a number of family pieces which might be available for loan or gifting to a younger royal.

(Poor Anne, she doesn't really have good hair, does she?)

The thing about the scroll that bothers me is that the scrolls curve outwards from the center, which doesn't seem very uniform to me. I understand that's the entire point, of course, but for whatever reason the tiara just doesn't look quite right to me - on anyone. I want to like it but I just can't.

I'd love to see the Teck Circlet make a comeback.

I am absolutely certain that Kate will wear a tiara on her wedding day.

I can only imagine that the article in the DM was written by a bored, slightly deranged, less-than-brilliant journalist living in a dingy bedsit surrounded by empty takeaway cartons and half-eaten pizzas, who sadly spends all their life devising ludicrous and frankly rather cheap stories for abit of pin-money because they do not have the wit, the brains, nor the true journalist capacity to go out and be inspired by what is really going on in the world.

Classic post!

I think the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara would work quite well; it's versatile, since it can be worn with pearls or emeralds. It's more substantial than the Strathmore rose, but not as overwhelming as the Fringe.

Lovely as it might look, I think it highly unlikely that the Grand Duchess Vladamir would be lent to Catherine. This is one of the major tiaras of the BRF, and in active use by HM. My sense is that the next user of the GDV will be Camilla when she is queen.

HRH actually has lovely hair. The style may not be particularly becoming in our eyes but the quality of her hair is great.

abcdxyz said:
I'm not sure of that--I believe Princess Margaret wore it before her marriage, but that Princess Anne wore it after that in her younger days. Here's a photo:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/WKirkwood/UK/UKAnneScrollTiara.jpg

The implication to me is that the Queen or Queen Mother lent the tiara out, but that it is one of a number of family pieces which might be available for loan or gifting to a younger royal.

Love it here too! Glad to see there might still be a glimmer of hope for the Scroll! ;)

Maybe, but Princess Ann used to wear the scroll in the late 60s before she was given the Meander. The Papyrus was given to Margaret, I believe, and was worn by Vicount Linley's bride on their wedding day. The Scroll has not been out in some time so I am thinking it is with QEII.

AR

Aestheticus Rex: A Tale of Tiara's: What will the Queen bestow upon Kate Middleton?

I hope we see something from the vaults. That hasn't seen the light of day in decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom