The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Serene Highness

I would love to see the Ladies of England Tiara on Kate for her wedding, if it still exists. It would be perfect for her, its diamonds & Pearls, it's not to small and not to large,and can be worn as a necklace. It's one of my favorites that I wish to see coming out of the vaults some time soon.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
I would love to see the Ladies of England Tiara on Kate for her wedding, if it still exists. It would be perfect for her, its diamonds & Pearls, it's not to small and not to large,and can be worn as a necklace. It's one of my favorites that I wish to see coming out of the vaults some time soon.
Do you have a picture ?

Old 01-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
Do you have a picture ?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_u2CnZZiUde...s400/QM516.jpg
Old 01-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Nobility

That one went to Norway with Maud !

It's that one: http://www.angelfire.com/la3/lone_mo...e_s_perle.html
Old 01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Aristocracy

are you saying the ladies of england tiara is in norway? are you sure it is the same?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
are you saying the ladies of england tiara is in norway? are you sure it is the same?
Nope, they are not the same! They are similar at the sides, but the centre piece is decidely different.
Queen Maud's tiara was a wedding present from her parents King Edward and Queen Alexandra in 1896. Queen Mary received her tiara as a wedding present from The Ladies of England in 1893.
And the similarity between the tiaras is not surprising when you take into account that they were made around the same time.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
That one went to Norway with Maud !

It's that one: http://www.angelfire.com/la3/lone_mo...e_s_perle.html
I must do more research, but this does not seem possible as the Ladies of England Tiara was given to Queen Mary by the Ladies of England. Sylistically they are similar but just from the listed history they cannot be one in the same. Maud's tiara was presented to her by Edward VII and Alexandra...

AR
Old 01-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Aestheticus Rex: A Tale of Tiara's: What will the Queen bestow upon Kate Middleton?

I thought your blog quite interesting but the best part was your link to the photo-shopped tiara's. The only one that seemed to scream elegance, restraint and, for that matter Kate, was the Strathmore Rose.

She looked like the "Princess Bride"! And, she could get away with not having her hair up.
Agreed, the Strathmore Rose is becoming my leading realistic choice.

AR
Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestheticus Rex View Post
Agreed, the Strathmore Rose is becoming my leading realistic choice.

AR
Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM

If the Strathmore is in as bad shape as has been suggested (and the diamonds aren't as sparkly since they are cut the old-fashioned way), I think the Scroll is a real condender since it's been seen relatively recently (in the galacial Palace way of time moving) and is beautiful, sparkly, not associated with any one person (since it's been photographed on both Margaret and Anne in the past 50-60 years) and suitable for a young bride.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness

The ladies of England is completely different than Maud's pearl and diamond tiara. The center piece in Maud's tiara comes out but the L of E doesn't but the L of E can be worn as a necklace as seen here. Mary also wore it across the top of her dress here.
It came with matching earrings which are the ones Queen Elizabeth wears for her daytime events.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM

Bently & Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Bentley & Skinner

Wonder if the Middletons have this one "On Approval" as it has been Temporarily Withdrawn?????

I was wondering the same thing! However, IF it is the Middletons or TRF, I would think B&S would take the item off the website.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestheticus Rex View Post
I must do more research, but this does not seem possible as the Ladies of England Tiara was given to Queen Mary by the Ladies of England. Sylistically they are similar but just from the listed history they cannot be one in the same. Maud's tiara was presented to her by Edward VII and Alexandra...

AR

Could the slight differences be due to the original version was stolen from Garrard's in 1993? I read (somewhere or other) Garrard's made a new one with pearls and diamonds that looked like the ones from the original tiara.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Could the slight differences be due to the original version was stolen from Garrard's in 1993? I read (somewhere or other) Garrard's made a new one with pearls and diamonds that looked like the ones from the original tiara.
I don't think so. I read somewhere that luckily there was very good documentation of what the original tiara looked like, so that Garrard's could make a precise copy. Here is a comparision between Queen Maud with her tiara and Queen Mary with the LoE: http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/92...600x600Q85.jpg
The centre of Queen Maud's tiara looks the same as today's version worn by Queen Sonja, and it looks very different from the LoE.
Also there is no possible explanation how the LoE could have ended up as a wedding gift for Queen Maud. Both tiaras were wedding presents and if Wikipedia is correct than Queen Maud married only 3 years after Queen Mary. But on the photo with the LoE Queen Mary already has grey hair, so that picture must have been taken years after Queen Maud received her own tiara at her wedding.

We must not forget that every rich Lady of that age wore tiaras, they were part of the fashion. Popular designs were copied and juwellers made variations of already existing designs. The best example is the fringe design which was so popular that it is is still very difficult to keep the various fringe tiaras apart.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Kikky View Post
If the Strathmore is in as bad shape as has been suggested (and the diamonds aren't as sparkly since they are cut the old-fashioned way), I think the Scroll is a real condender since it's been seen relatively recently (in the galacial Palace way of time moving) and is beautiful, sparkly, not associated with any one person (since it's been photographed on both Margaret and Anne in the past 50-60 years) and suitable for a young bride.
The fact that Margaret and Anne wore it and the Queen Mother wore it when she was Duchess of York gives it more of a spare feel. So I think it would go to Harry's future wife to wear.

I believe that Kate will get the bigger pieces one day. Like the Queen's current favorite or the tiara with the loops in it. I believe it has a Russian name. Sorry I can't remember the names

As for the wedding I think the Fringe has some history to make it viable but not so much that it is associated with one person.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I firmly believe that when the Queen jiggy's into zombieworld, that the Girls of GB tiara will left for Kate, and that the other major pieces(kokoshnik, vladimir, etc,) will be for Camilla. As for the Cambridge Knot, though it wld make a lovely bridal tiara, I'm actually thinking that Harry's wife will be getting that tiara(on loan of course). You know, Wills gets the ring, Harry gets the tiara. I just have no idea now what Kate will wear on her wedding day, though the Fringe makes more and more sense to me. I really don't see the Strathmore being used as a regular tiara anymore, at least not for Kate.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I believe that Kate will get the bigger pieces one day. Like the Queen's current favorite or the tiara with the loops in it. I believe it has a Russian name. Sorry I can't remember the names
I think you mean the Vladimir? The tiara which can be worn with either pearl or cabochon emerald drops?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Kikky View Post
I think you mean the Vladimir? The tiara which can be worn with either pearl or cabochon emerald drops?
Yes thank you! I was referring to the tiaras that Kate might get to wear in the future. Although Princejohnny25 made some good points about the tiaras Camilla might get.
I agree with you about Harry's future wife as well. Kate is likely to get to wear a lot of the Queen's tiaras so it would be nice if Harry's wife got the Cambridge piece. It is historical but given that it was most noticeably worn by Diana, it might stay with one of her children.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Most of the tiaras worn by The Queen are bequests from Queen Mary or were created using gems that were state gifts. These pieces are highly likely to have been designated by Queen Mary in her Will as belonging to the Crown to be worn in right of it, while The Queen has probably done the same in her Will with the newer creations.

I would predict these tiaras will remain with the Crown to be worn only by a Queen or Queen Consort.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Which brings up the whole Princess Consort bit.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding