The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
. . . . . . . . I agree with Janet that it is most likely that Catherine will wear the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara in her lifetime - I would just like to see her wear something different on her wedding day.
I am in total agreement. I would love her to wear something that is unique to her, not her fiance's late mother, not even his grandmother, but his great-grandmother . . . . . well if it's the 'Strathmore Rose' then that's a whole "new" thing.

Strathmore rose tiara - Photo - The Tudors Wiki

Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have a feeling we will ALL be surprised at what Kate will wear to the wedding as far as a tiara goes, IF in fact she does wear one!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I thought it was accepted knowledge that all of Diana's jewels for specifically left to Harry?
In Diana's will (which you can find online), I believe all of her property was to be split, equally, between the two boys.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana didn't have a huge collection of jewels to pass on. She received some very valuable pieces that were wedding gifts from the Saudis and the Gulf emirates, but other than that, she didn't really possess much. For significant state occasions, she often borrowed pieces from The Queen's collection.

Her royal jewels are now back with the Royal Collection and were not covered under her Will.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
I have a feeling we will ALL be surprised at what Kate will wear to the wedding as far as a tiara goes, IF in fact she does wear one!
I have a feeling you may be right. I just hope I am not too disappointed. My gut instinct is saying the dress will be boring and no tiara. Good God, I hope I am wrong.............
Old 01-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would love to see Kate in one of Dianas pearl and diamond earrings for the wedding, she had a pair with small pearl dangling from diamond clusters that would look incredible!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34
I have a feeling you may be right. I just hope I am not too disappointed. My gut instinct is saying the dress will be boring and no tiara. Good God, I hope I am wrong.............
I think it'll be boring but classical and agree she may not wear a tiara at all.....
Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gudgeon View Post
After reading through the entire 24 pages(!) and all of your insightful thoughts, I'm going to go with these as my top 3 picks for Kate to wear at the wedding (and to be her main tiara until she's PoW): 1) the County of Surrey, 2) the Rundell and 3) the Fringe. Although I like the Surrey the best, out of the 3 I picked, I think she'd be most likely to wear the Fringe as it seems the most streamlined and "simple." (Thanks, Aestheticus Rex, for your great list and pics.)

As for her hair, I'd like to see some sort of loosely gathered style (not a braid exactly but somehow loosely gathered at the back) so it's out of her face and pulled back, but still sort of down and soft. (I think she must not like her hair pulled back since it is always down!) Out of my list, I think this "soft" style would go best with the Fringe tiara since the other two are so much more "busy." If she does go with a completely upswept 'do, I'd like to see the Surrey tiara.
Many thanks, I rather enjoyed putting that blog together and updating it with feedback from the forum members!

AR
Old 01-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Diana didn't have a huge collection of jewels to pass on. She received some very valuable pieces that were wedding gifts from the Saudis and the Gulf emirates, but other than that, she didn't really possess much. For significant state occasions, she often borrowed pieces from The Queen's collection.

Her royal jewels are now back with the Royal Collection and were not covered under her Will.
Would the pieces Diana received from the Arabs be considered official gifts & have been returned to the Royal Collection? IMTS, they were gifts to the future Princess of Wales not to Lady Diana Spencer.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

The wedding gifts she received from the Saudis and Gulf emirates were Diana's personal property and would not have returned to The Queen. These jewels, and others she received during her marriage, now belong to William and Harry.

The royal pieces were also wedding gifts, but were considered to be permanent loans. Diana was allowed to keep these jewels for her lifetime in her divorce agreement, but they were returned to The Queen after her untimely death since her children were minors and unmarried.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Nobility

I don't believe that she'll wear NO tiara at all, because the Windsors need a show-wedding with glamour after all that drama and after all these boring camilla outfits.
But I guess she'll start with a small tiara. When she becomes The Princess of Wales, she'll get a bigger one.
I think she'll never wear the Lover's Knot because with that tiara the pressure to be like Di will lay on her.

Her dress will indeed be classical, but that doesn't mean boring. Mary's and Maxima's weren't boring at all.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

German mag BUNTE has jumped the wagon and made up article and poll about Kate's wedding tiara. The article is crap, if you ask me. The made a couple of mistakes and selected mainly tiaras which have no chance whatsoever, but might be familiar for the everage German readers. On the other hand they leave out some really strong contenders like the Strathmore rose or the scroll tiara.
But it is funny to see how "our" excitement is caught up by the journalists.
http://www.bunte.de/royals/prinz-wil...aid_22270.html

Btw, I am among those who firmly believe that Kate will wear a tiara. After all she is marrying right into the centre of the Windsor dynasty, she's a future Queen. They just can't let her go without a tiara, imo.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Actually I think that the Lover's Knot Tiara would look lovely for a wedding ceremony. It's a romantic piece and I can imagine very well that it would flatter Kate in a classical simple dress a lot. But otherwise the tiara is too strongly connected to Diana, IMO, and after we've seen her in a blue outfit on her engagement day, after she received Diana's ring, I would rather love to see a surprise and something different.

I'm 99 % sure that she will wear a tiara, btw.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Nobility

I hope Kate will wear something completely new - or something which hasn't been used for decades...
Old 01-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Gentry

I would find it sad if Catherine wears Lady Di's pearl tiara at her wedding because Catherine already has the ring and I want Catherine to be Catherine and not another Lady Di.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post

I think most of her jewels should go to Harry's wife because I think that Kate will get a lot of jewels from the royal family. I would hope that Harry's wife would still get some historic pieces.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Commoner

Aestheticus Rex: A Tale of Tiara's: What will the Queen bestow upon Kate Middleton?
Aestheticus Rex, I loved your blog.

I think I said somewhere on another thread that I'd thought that Miss Middleton would wear the Kokoshnik, but what I'd meant to say was the Fringe Tiara. It seems a likely choice, given her style and its history.

Nevertheless, in seeing the Rundell and thinking about Queen Alexandra and her coffers, what I'd really love to see come out of the vaults for this occasion would be Alexandra's wedding pearls ...

Pearls Perlen | Royal Wedding gift to Queen Alexandra | Jewel of the Royals

... which would suit a number of the tiaras under debate. It seems such a pity to have such things of beauty squirreled away in a vault somewhere. Let them out, I say!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Majesty

Aestheticus Rex: A Tale of Tiara's: What will the Queen bestow upon Kate Middleton?

I thought your blog quite interesting but the best part was your link to the photo-shopped tiara's. The only one that seemed to scream elegance, restraint and, for that matter Kate, was the Strathmore Rose.

She looked like the "Princess Bride"! And, she could get away with not having her hair up.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Courtier

I too think that the Fringe tiara is the leading choice. I am still hoping for a new one or a jeweled hair-pin instead.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Aristocracy

It seems to me that any tiara Kate wears for the wedding would be a gift from the Queen. I don't see the Fringe (any of them) being given to Kate. Usually Her Majesty gifts tiaras that haven't been seen in awhile and aren't being used. As far as I know, the Queen still wears her fringe. Also, the royal brides that wore the fringe (QE II, Princess Anne) were born into royalty. Besides it was QE QM's tiara and I don't see the Queen loaning it out for a commoner because it has sentimental value if nothing else IMHO

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding