The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince.of.preslav View Post
Strange! I have a photo of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess in their car and there the Delhi Durbar looks very much still enclosed.
Here's the photo - Link

Bobby
You can clearly see in that photo that it's is opened up as it's sitting low on her head and the sides wrap around towards the back. Opened up it's quite an enormous tiara.

If it was still a diadem, it would sitting on the crown of her head as it's circumference could not possibly accomodate being so low with all that hair!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somersby Tulip View Post
Its Charlie's jewellery and will stay in his family as Kate is not royalty and has no claim over it. It will stay in the Windsors family.
Diana's royal pieces (the Lover's Knot Tiara, the Cambridge Emerald Choker, a few pairs of earrings and a pearl & diamond choker) were all returned to The Queen after her death. All of her remaining jewels, including those purchased for her by Charles or received as wedding gifts, now belong to William and Harry.

The royal pieces were gifts from The Queen and may or may not reappear on Catherine as they belong to the royal collection. The original intent was Diana would, of course, outlive HM and her divorce agreement stated that any royal jewels were to pass to Prince William after her death. Since she died tragically a year later and The Queen was still living, they were returned since William was still young and unmarried.

I do believe the tiara will be offered to Catherine as HM is not likely to wear it again (assuming, of course, it looks OK on her head). Otherwise, something else will appear from the royal collection or a new piece.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Royal Highness

After her death or divorce? Was keeping it for the duration of her life part of her divorce agreement? Did she wear tiaras after her divorce?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
This is a fantastic photograph of three generations (out of four) wearing the same tiara. Indeed, continuity is one of the very few advantages in having a monarchy and this photograph is an example of the obvious continuity of a reigning house. Also, I think Camilla looks the best of the three ladies in this diadem.
It looked best on Mary, who looked regal. The other two look frumpy. Mary knew how to wear jewelry and carry off the largest of piecest.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Serene Highness

Bentley & Skinner

Wonder if the Middletons have this one "On Approval" as it has been Temporarily Withdrawn?????
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Administrator

That's pretty nice.

Personally I would like to see something with a bit of history. But nothing too associated with Diana, so that definitely takes out the Cambridge.

I do like the Sroll and the Great Britian (although I know they might not be ready). I am sure there are tons of more tiaras that belonged to the Hanovers and Victoria's children that either went to the other royal families (i.e. the Connaught tiara) or just disappeared.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
After her death or divorce? Was keeping it for the duration of her life part of her divorce agreement? Did she wear tiaras after her divorce?
Diana was permitted to retain her royal jewels as part of her divorce agreement for her lifetime, on condition they could never be lent or sold.

She did not wear the Lover's Knot Tiara after the divorce as there was no occasion for her to do so. She did wear the Cambridge Emerald Choker for her last public appearance in Britain before she died.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
You can clearly see in that photo that it's is opened up as it's sitting low on her head and the sides wrap around towards the back. Opened up it's quite an enormous tiara.

If it was still a diadem, it would sitting on the crown of her head as it's circumference could not possibly accomodate being so low with all that hair!
Thank you, that was what I was getting at in my previous posts. Even if, for some reason, it is still closed it has been canted outward as it flares much more than it did in Mary's reign. I have worked with objects for decades and it is clear that it used to be more vertically oriented and is now bowed and canted.

AR
Old 01-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Bentley & Skinner

Wonder if the Middletons have this one "On Approval" as it has been Temporarily Withdrawn?????
No, that piece has been on "temporary withdrawal" since before Crown Princess Victoria's wedding, I remember seeing it when someone posted a link for another tiara. It would be nice though! :)
Old 01-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
No, that piece has been on "temporary withdrawal" since before Crown Princess Victoria's wedding, I remember seeing it when someone posted a link for another tiara. It would be nice though! :)
But the Middleton's could have been forward planning even then......
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestheticus Rex View Post
Thank you, that was what I was getting at in my previous posts. Even if, for some reason, it is still closed it has been canted outward as it flares much more than it did in Mary's reign. I have worked with objects for decades and it is clear that it used to be more vertically oriented and is now bowed and canted.
The Dehli Durbar tiara is now more slanting outwords because diamonds have been added at the top of the tiara in the places which I marked red in this comparison. There might be more stones added in other places, eg. at the back, but it is difficult to make out. But the studio shot of the tiara shows that is is slanting outwards while remaining a closed circle.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Optical illusion on QMary?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:17 PM

While understanding the likelihood of QM wearing hairpieces to supplement her own, isn't it also possible that she just had a head with a larger circumference than Camilla has so it sits completely differently from one woman to the next?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
The Dehli Durbar tiara is now more slanting outwords because diamonds have been added at the top of the tiara in the places which I marked red in this comparison. There might be more stones added in other places, eg. at the back, but it is difficult to make out. But the studio shot of the tiara shows that is is slanting outwards while remaining a closed circle.
Very Well spotted! There are some additional spacing diamonds added to the upper register in the lyre motifs. All the way around this would sufficiently increase the circumference of the top to make it flare outward.

AR
Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Kikky View Post
While understanding the likelihood of QM wearing hairpieces to supplement her own, isn't it also possible that she just had a head with a larger circumference than Camilla has so it sits completely differently from one woman to the next?
It is well known that QM used these hairpieces. Also it was very common for women to do so at her time, quite the fashion, so to speak. Look at how high the tiara sits on her head! And QM's face appears to be very slim compared to the circumference of the tiara, imo. That is why I really believe in the existence of her hairpieces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestheticus Rex View Post
Very Well spotted! There are some additional spacing diamonds added to the upper register in the lyre motifs. All the way around this would sufficiently increase the circumference of the top to make it flare outward.

AR
Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
You can clearly see in that photo - Link - that it's is opened up as it's sitting low on her head and the sides wrap around towards the back.
Branchg, the link photo does NOT show that the tiara has been opened up at the back.
You should be the first to understand that supposition or theorising are not substitutes for evidence or proof.

To ensure that discussion of this subject remains based on confirmed, verified or substantiated fact I will once again state: there is NO PICTORIAL PROOF that the Delhi Durbar diadem is no longer a diadem and has been sliced open at the back.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
It is well known that QM used these hairpieces. Also it was very common for women to do so at her time, quite the fashion, so to speak. Look at how high the tiara sits on her head! And QM's face appears to be very slim compared to the circumference of the tiara, imo. That is why I really believe in the existence of her hairpieces.

Thank you, AR . You describe the changes perfectly (something which I couldn't because of the limitations of my English). I was quite excited when I compared the photos and spotted the difference.
Unfortunately the pictures of Queen Mum with the Delhi Durbar are not very clear. But to me it looks as if this change was done afterwards. What do you think?
I agree that the change was later. The tiara previously bore some of the Cambridge Emeralds in the past and even sported 2 of the the Cullinan diamonds (in your first image of Queen Mary). This tiara is no stranger to evolution. I am now convinced that it is indeed closed but that the upper circumference has been expanded with the addition of diamonds in the lyers and two 6-diamond rosette clusters (at least to the front).
Old 01-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Diana's royal pieces (the Lover's Knot Tiara, the Cambridge Emerald Choker, a few pairs of earrings and a pearl & diamond choker) were all returned to The Queen after her death.
I was pleased to read here that the Cambridge Emerald Choker was, as I had thought, only a loan and not a gift to Diana as has been stated many times on this and the Diana Jewelry thread.

I couldn't see any of the Cambridge collection being broken up and parceled out a la Queen Mary.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Royal Highness

I seem to recall reading about or seeing some brief footage that showed that the Delhi Durbar was not closed in the back when The Duchess of Cornwall wore it for the 2005 Norwegian State Visit. Also, when you look at photographs of Queen Mary wearing the piece, it is obvious that it is not closed and sits higher on head. When the DoC wore it, it seems undeniably apparent to me at least, that it was not closed in the back. Now, I don't know if it was altered or it was already that way--Queen Mary's jewels were always very interchangeable. Although, that brings back the question of Queen Mary wearing those hairpieces and the overall circumference. I do wish I could find that video!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Royal Highness

I am going to go out on a limb and say Kate won't wear a tiara at all!!!! That's my crazy prediction :)

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding