Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lover's Knot was a wedding gift to the groom's mother which returned to the Queen until William or Harry married, for use by a princess bride at that time. I thiink we will see the Lover's knot pretty quickly. Though I have a few others I would love to see have an airing too!

The Lover's Knot was a wedding gift to the groom's mother which returned to the Queen until William or Harry married, for use by a princess bride at that time. I thiink we will see the Lover's knot pretty quickly. Though I have a few others I would love to see have an airing too!

I think HM will see the dangers of Kate (or Harry's future wife) wearing the Lovers Knot and will offer something else which they can use until Charles becomes King. At this time Catherine will be established as a Princess before becoming Duchess of Cornwall &, eventually, Princess of Wales (yes shock horror she will become Pncss of Wales). At this point in the future people may have stopped comparing her to her mother in law and judge her for herself by the work she does.

My thoughts mirrow yours, wymanda.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved her earrings both yesterday and today but would have loved to see a sparkly brooch as well. I think that would have looked great against the bright red coat. Is it wrong to want to chant "more jewels, more jewels!" ;)

Rather unfortunately, IMO the list in Hola / Hello has not really been thought thorugh and is just a random listing of tiaras. It includes tiaras that are in active use by HM currently (including the Girls of Great Britain & Northern Ireland tiara and the Grand Duchess Vladamir), and tiaras that other members of the BRF use (Greak Meander tiara used by Anne). It also has a number of pictures of the Spencer tiara that Diana used, but that really belongs to Earl Spencer, and not the BRF.

Agreed Muriel, the Hola article was a disaster. Showing pieces that are associated with Fergie, Anne, Sophie, Earl Spencer and Camilla is truly sloppy reporting. I guess they just wanted to dazzle the eyes and not do substantive work.

AR

Thank you for your illumination. Having been a Congressional Page in my early years and briefly worked in the White House during the Reagan administration, I am well aware of White House protocol.
The Obama's are coming to the UK for a state visit in May. If William and Catherine attend the dinner I am sure she will be given/ loaned something appropriate.

Ah but wouldn't that be sorta sweet- given to the granddaughter on her wedding and then HM gives it (lends) to her granddaughter in law :)
Agreed, that is one of the reasons I chose it as the top of my list. It would be a grand gesture, but is probably not likely.... :sad:

AR

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Love the Art Deco Tiara/Necklace.

I supposed we could all chip in to buy it, and wear it on a rotating basis.

I searched to see if this had been asked before but didn't find it. Where is Victoria's Strawberry Leaf tiara, and is that a possibility? Thoughts?

I was also thinking if the Lovers Knot tiara will reappear. It was a lovely tiara, and would be very suitable for a young princess - substantial, yet delicate. I also think that HM might hand over her fringe tiara to Kate.

I agree the Lover's Knot Tiara would look sensational on Catherine - may I ask why you think the Queen might "hand over" her fringe tiara (or one of them) to Catherine?

I agree the Lover's Knot Tiara would look sensational on Catherine - may I ask why you think the Queen might "hand over" her fringe tiara (or one of them) to Catherine?

I think it comes from tradition. Alexandra, May of Teck and Diana all received a tiara(s) when they married into the "main line". Like the regents above Catherine will be the mother of the future monarch (if all goes well) so it would be a traditional overt sign of approval to give/lend her a tiara for life from the core collection. The Queen can do whatever she likes, loan, give or even commission something. We will wait and see how it turns out.

AR

Perhaps "hand over" was the wrong term to use, but I meant that the Queen could lend Catherine the fringe tiara to wear at the wedding, an possibly, afterwards.

I searched to see if this had been asked before but didn't find it. Where is Victoria's Strawberry Leaf tiara, and is that a possibility? Thoughts?

Correct me anyone if i am wrong, but Queen Viictoria's strawberry leaf tiara was given to her daughter Queen Ena and has since been lost. :sad:

Correct me anyone if i am wrong, but Queen Viictoria's strawberry leaf tiara was given to her daughter Queen Ena and has since been lost. :sad:

It is my understanding that it passed to Victoria's daughter, Princess Beatrice and thence by descent to her son the Marquess of Clarisbrooke. According to this recent auction, it may have been dismanteled. :sad:

Lot Details

AR

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. But on the Lovers Knot Tiara aren't the pearls removable? If some other stone were hung it would look like a different tiara, but still carry the history.

Someone just mentioned this on the other boards, but Duchess of Portlands jewels are up for auction soon and those sapphire pieces would look lovely on Kate with that ring.

The saphire and pearl tiara up for auction from the collection is quite nice, and suits her ring.

I think she should wear the Spencer tiara.

Well then William better get asking his Uncle, because the tiara belongs to him and his family. Diana and her sisters were permitted to wear it for their wedding, but it isn't something William can give her.

True but from what I understand, the Spencer tiara has been used by Spencer women on their marriage day or women marrying Spencer men (particularly those holding the title Earl Spencer or Viscount Althrop). And while William is half Spencer thru his mother, I expect the next time we will see the Spencer Tiara it will be on Louis who is the current Viscount Althrop or the Spencer daughters, Kitty, Eliza and Amelia (I think I have got the names right without even looking at it). Did Diana's sisters where the tiara on their wedding day? I don't think so.

Might be a silly question but on Louis? Do men usually wear tiaras? Or did you mean his spouse/future spouse? I can't stop laughing at the thought of a guy in a tiara. But I'd assume the daughters of the earl would be allowed to wear it for their wedding, like Diana and her sisters were. But I'd assume it usually is worn by the Earl's wife.

Isn't Earl Spencer engaged to be married (again, theslimeball)? I'd assume we'll see it on his unfortunate bride to be? (poor woman, though it is a lovely tiara)

I hope Kate gets a tiara of her own. Perhaps a simpler more streamlined one. I see something delicate. Something along the lines of the one the Norwegian royals gave to Mette Marit and the Moonlight tiara CP Mary of Denmark wears.

I am thinking delicate leaves and berries of pearls and diamonds.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. But on the Lovers Knot Tiara aren't the pearls removable? If some other stone were hung it would look like a different tiara, but still carry the history.

Hmmm you are onto something. Could you imagine the pearls removed and replaced with graduated pear-shaped diamonds or sapphires. Sparkly!

AR

Might be a silly question but on Louis? Do men usually wear tiaras? Or did you mean his spouse/future spouse? I can't stop laughing at the thought of a guy in a tiara. But I'd assume the daughters of the earl would be allowed to wear it for their wedding, like Diana and her sisters were. But I'd assume it usually is worn by the Earl's wife.
'

Louis is the Current Earl's son and heir, hence the title Viscount Althrop. And yes, Louis's future wife, his sisters and his younger brother's wife, would have a better chance of wearing the Spencer tiara on their weddings than Catherine.

As previously mentioned the last (or one of them anyway) Countess Spencer (Victoria Lockwood) wore it on her wedding day. Haven't seen a wedding picture of Caroline Freud.

I have not seen the Lover's knot with anything other than pearls (which doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done.) Perhaps you are thinking of the Vladimir tiara which can have either pearls or emeralds.

I have not seen the Lover's knot with anything other than pearls (which doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done.) Perhaps you are thinking of the Vladimir tiara which can have either pearls or emeralds.

perhaps it would be possible to replace the diamonds on the spkies with pearl spkies like it looked when it was first made for Queen Mary.

My reservation for Catherine wearing any tiara with pearls comes down to personal prejudice. I find pearls on younger women rather, nouveau riche. Pearls should come with time but not so soon. She's not even 30 (though not far off..haha).

I think pearl earrings are fine and are quite elegant, but that's it for a woman her age.

Diamonds are the way to go, and other coloured gems. Sapphires would look nice on Catherine. Emeralds too. I do hope however that her tiara is made up solely of diamonds. That's why I'd like to see her in the diamond fringe. She would do it justice as long as she wears her hair up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom