The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Gentry

i think she should have the strathmore tiara, but i heard it's not in a good shape and conditions. the scroll tiara is my other option.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 AM
Serene Highness

I'm hoping for the Rundell but think it may be the Strathmore. Catherine's arrival gives HM the perfect reason to have it repaired & refurbished.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Majesty

So here is my updated list of potential tiaras for Catherine:

1) Fringe
2) Scroll
3) Teck
4) Strathmore Rose
Old 12-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
I have to say, I'm looking forward to Catherine breathing new, young life into the BRF's jewels, like many of the other Crown Princesses do (CP Mary, CP Maxima). In my lifetime, I've seen the majority of the jewels on QEQM and QEII. Camilla isn't going to be a spring chicken when/if she gets to wear them either.
Camilla is the perfect person to wear QE QM's jewels. after all a younger woman could not pull off the delhi durbar, or the honeycomb tiara.

i can't wait to see some new goodies (old stuff, no one has seen in awhile) on Kate.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Aristocracy

Or how about this one? It is called the Godman necklace. I bet this could be worn as a tiara and the top emeralds taken off....... just thinking out loud, but all comments welcome
Old 12-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
while doing endless research on tiaras. I happened to come across this one worn by QE II decades ago. Could this be a contender for Kate?

does anyone know what tiara this is?
This is the Plunket tiara and is not owned by the BRF. HM borrowed it once because something happened to her own tiara. Meanwhile the Plunket family has sold this tiara afaik.
Quote:
Or how about this one? It is called the Godman necklace. I bet this could be worn as a tiara and the top emeralds taken off....... just thinking out loud, but all comments welcome
Yes, it would make a very nice small tiara. But I don't think that emeralds are a good choice for a wedding tiara (unless it is the only tiara you have).
But there might be a couple of diamond necklaces which would make a nice tiara for a young woman like Catherine.

Some people in this thread mentioned that the fringe tiara might be a bit too big for her. So I thought that it might be possible to change the City of London fringe necklace so that it can be worn as a tiara. At least to me the necklace looks smaller than Queen Mary's fringe tiara. It was a wedding gift to QEII and currently can't be worn as a tiara because it is thread on silk. But I am convinced that a jeweller would be able to create a fitting tiara frame for it.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The Godman would make a lovely tiara, but as pointed out, I am not sure it is appopriate as a wedding tiara for Catherine.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Godman would make a lovely tiara, but as pointed out, I am not sure it is appopriate as a wedding tiara for Catherine.
I know emeralds wouldn't be good for the wedding, but my thought is that, I'll bet the stones could be switched out. The Queen has a quite a few necklaces that could be converted into tiaras. Thats just one.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Gentry

I shall be furious if Catherine Middleton gets rubbish like what Sophie Wessex got. Indeed, I hope she gets beautiful ice, whether bought like Sarah Ferguson's stuff or inherited from the Queen. In fact, the Queen has a beautiful tiara that she never wears because she wears the central motif as a pin. So, Lilibet could wear one less brooch and Catherine could have that tiara! Also, I am looking forward very much to seeing Princess Catherine wearing Princess Diana's rocks.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre

If she where to wear that tiara it would be no different than wearing diana's tiara in the sense that both are very associated with the people who either used to wear it or who wear it now. My vote still goes to no tiara or a new one bought by Charles.
Or maybe a new one her parents bought her as a gift- that might be nice
Old 12-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Nobility

Ladies, ladies! If she does choose to wear her hair down, I'm sure that decision will be made in consideration of the style of her dress and veil AND whatever tiara she is to wear. She has a lovely and understated sense of style -- and therefore it all will be gorgeous AND in the best of taste. She has a great deal in common with the lovely Mary who seldom puts a foot wrong. It will be a joy to watch her expand her fashion repertoire over the next few years.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
I shall be furious if Catherine Middleton gets rubbish like what Sophie Wessex got. Indeed, I hope she gets beautiful ice, whether bought like Sarah Ferguson's stuff or inherited from the Queen. In fact, the Queen has a beautiful tiara that she never wears because she wears the central motif as a pin. So, Lilibet could wear one less brooch and Catherine could have that tiara! Also, I am looking forward very much to seeing Princess Catherine wearing Princess Diana's rocks.
I felt really sorry for Sophie when I saw her tiara and necklace on her wedding day. She deserves better then and now.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
You are rigth about the Rundell tiara, we don't know what happened to it. It might be still there, it also might have been dismantled in order to create other pieces. But the same goes for the Surrey and Ladies of England tiaras. We just don't know.
I have heard the same about the Strathmore Rose tiara. If it is true than I would say that now is the time for a decent restoration. It would be such a shame to let this beautiful tiara fall to pieces.
I really doubt that the Rundell was dismantled. It was a wedding gift to Queen Alexandra from her husband and Queen Mary made sure that all QA's wedding gift jewels were kept in the main royal line so I cannot see that she would have dismantled a piece after going to so much trouble to retain it.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
I really doubt that the Rundell was dismantled. It was a wedding gift to Queen Alexandra from her husband and Queen Mary made sure that all QA's wedding gift jewels were kept in the main royal line so I cannot see that she would have dismantled a piece after going to so much trouble to retain it.
I don't think that it has been dismantled either. In fact has anyone mentioned the rundell tiara with the stars on it for Kate to wear at the wedding? Do you all know what I am talking about?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
I felt really sorry for Sophie when I saw her tiara and necklace on her wedding day. She deserves better then and now.
I actually loved Sophie's wedding tiara

Old 12-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphoenyx View Post
I actually loved Sophie's wedding tiara
I'm afraid your in the minority. It is ok, I guess. to me it looks like a bunch of clips attached to a frame that don't quite match (or fit together for that matter). I suppose if you take into account their historical connection, it would lessen the disappointment of being given use of it. still....... couldn't she have had a real one instead of a thrown together piece?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
I like to think it hasn't been dismantled, but you never know. Queen Mary did go to all that trouble to make sure it was in her possession, but that may be because the diamonds in the Rundell were priceless (speculation on my part).
Old 12-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
Ladies, ladies! If she does choose to wear her hair down, I'm sure that decision will be made in consideration of the style of her dress and veil AND whatever tiara she is to wear. She has a lovely and understated sense of style -- and therefore it all will be gorgeous AND in the best of taste. She has a great deal in common with the lovely Mary who seldom puts a foot wrong. It will be a joy to watch her expand her fashion repertoire over the next few years.

QEQM and QEII both wore their hair down at their weddings, as did Diana and Sarah and the world did not come to an end. I personally wore mine down and in hindight so wish that I had a classic up-do now....and sadly I didnt have a Royal House Tiara either...*sobbing*
Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Or maybe a new one her parents bought her as a gift- that might be nice
If my daughter were marrrying PW, I would tend to think that the tiara aspect was covered. And frankly, unless the father and mother were Howard Hughes, nothing they could purchase would rate. And can you imagine the beating in the press that the Middletons would take about buying her a tiara in this recession when QEII will certainly gift her with one.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
If my daughter were marrrying PW, I would tend to think that the tiara aspect was covered. And frankly, unless the father and mother were Howard Hughes, nothing they could purchase would rate. And can you imagine the beating in the press that the Middletons would take about buying her a tiara in this recession when QEII will certainly gift her with one.
True, true but didn't the Queen Mothers parents buy her wedding tiara for her so it could happen.... But I see your point about taking a beating in the press.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding