Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, that was what I was getting at in my previous posts. Even if, for some reason, it is still closed it has been canted outward as it flares much more than it did in Mary's reign. I have worked with objects for decades and it is clear that it used to be more vertically oriented and is now bowed and canted.
The Dehli Durbar tiara is now more slanting outwords because diamonds have been added at the top of the tiara in the places which I marked red in this comparison. There might be more stones added in other places, eg. at the back, but it is difficult to make out. But the studio shot of the tiara shows that is is slanting outwards while remaining a closed circle.

While understanding the likelihood of QM wearing hairpieces to supplement her own, isn't it also possible that she just had a head with a larger circumference than Camilla has so it sits completely differently from one woman to the next?

The Dehli Durbar tiara is now more slanting outwords because diamonds have been added at the top of the tiara in the places which I marked red in this comparison. There might be more stones added in other places, eg. at the back, but it is difficult to make out. But the studio shot of the tiara shows that is is slanting outwards while remaining a closed circle.

Very Well spotted! There are some additional spacing diamonds added to the upper register in the lyre motifs. All the way around this would sufficiently increase the circumference of the top to make it flare outward.

AR

While understanding the likelihood of QM wearing hairpieces to supplement her own, isn't it also possible that she just had a head with a larger circumference than Camilla has so it sits completely differently from one woman to the next?
It is well known that QM used these hairpieces. Also it was very common for women to do so at her time, quite the fashion, so to speak. Look at how high the tiara sits on her head! And QM's face appears to be very slim compared to the circumference of the tiara, imo. That is why I really believe in the existence of her hairpieces.:flowers:
Very Well spotted! There are some additional spacing diamonds added to the upper register in the lyre motifs. All the way around this would sufficiently increase the circumference of the top to make it flare outward.

AR
Thank you, AR :flowers:. You describe the changes perfectly (something which I couldn't because of the limitations of my English;)). I was quite excited when I compared the photos and spotted the difference.
Unfortunately the pictures of Queen Mum with the Delhi Durbar are not very clear. But to me it looks as if this change was done afterwards. What do you think?

You can clearly see in that photo - Link - that it's is opened up as it's sitting low on her head and the sides wrap around towards the back.
Branchg, the link photo does NOT show that the tiara has been opened up at the back.
You should be the first to understand that supposition or theorising are not substitutes for evidence or proof.

To ensure that discussion of this subject remains based on confirmed, verified or substantiated fact I will once again state: there is NO PICTORIAL PROOF that the Delhi Durbar diadem is no longer a diadem and has been sliced open at the back.

It is well known that QM used these hairpieces. Also it was very common for women to do so at her time, quite the fashion, so to speak. Look at how high the tiara sits on her head! And QM's face appears to be very slim compared to the circumference of the tiara, imo. That is why I really believe in the existence of her hairpieces.:flowers:

Thank you, AR :flowers:. You describe the changes perfectly (something which I couldn't because of the limitations of my English;)). I was quite excited when I compared the photos and spotted the difference.
Unfortunately the pictures of Queen Mum with the Delhi Durbar are not very clear. But to me it looks as if this change was done afterwards. What do you think?

I agree that the change was later. The tiara previously bore some of the Cambridge Emeralds in the past and even sported 2 of the the Cullinan diamonds (in your first image of Queen Mary). This tiara is no stranger to evolution. I am now convinced that it is indeed closed but that the upper circumference has been expanded with the addition of diamonds in the lyers and two 6-diamond rosette clusters (at least to the front).

Diana's royal pieces (the Lover's Knot Tiara, the Cambridge Emerald Choker, a few pairs of earrings and a pearl & diamond choker) were all returned to The Queen after her death.
I was pleased to read here that the Cambridge Emerald Choker was, as I had thought, only a loan and not a gift to Diana as has been stated many times on this and the Diana Jewelry thread.

I couldn't see any of the Cambridge collection being broken up and parceled out a la Queen Mary. :ohmy:

I seem to recall reading about or seeing some brief footage that showed that the Delhi Durbar was not closed in the back when The Duchess of Cornwall wore it for the 2005 Norwegian State Visit. Also, when you look at photographs of Queen Mary wearing the piece, it is obvious that it is not closed and sits higher on head. When the DoC wore it, it seems undeniably apparent to me at least, that it was not closed in the back. Now, I don't know if it was altered or it was already that way--Queen Mary's jewels were always very interchangeable. Although, that brings back the question of Queen Mary wearing those hairpieces and the overall circumference. I do wish I could find that video!

I am going to go out on a limb and say Kate won't wear a tiara at all!!!! That's my crazy prediction :)

I am going to go out on a limb and say Kate won't wear a tiara at all!!!! That's my crazy prediction :)
That's the way too. But I'll be little surprise. If not tiara than maybe brooch like CPss Victoria on her pre-wedding event?

Talking about tiara do you think that it http://www.sjphillips.com/19th-cent...=6&tabindex=5&objectid=320812&categoryid=2055 can be convetible?

In which jewels I mean colour/stone she will look the best?
Diamond - white or colour, sapphires, topazes...
What type of jewelry she like modern and simple or antique?

If sapphires than it will look good with the ring http://www.sjphillips.com/Mid-19th-...=6&tabindex=5&objectid=276130&categoryid=2055 I think.
Or why not these aquqmarine suite http://www.sjphillips.com/mid-19th-...=6&tabindex=5&objectid=276025&categoryid=2057

Last edited:
I'm starting to see her not wearing a tiara as well, and instead wearing her hair down with a 'virgin mary' type veil. It would be very pretty, but i do love a tiara.

I've been thinking the same thing - although I would love to see a tiara, I have this feeling that she will forego the tiara and instead wear diamond pins in her hair with a beautiful veil. It would look elegant yet modern. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Oh no, I hope she DOES wear a tiara. As the future Queen of England, it's a perfect place to start at her royal wedding. We shall see in April

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting in these forums but have been lurking for a while, since the big engagement :) I've spent the last couple of days pouring over various Princess Diana jewelry websites to try to figure out which jewels we might see Kate in. I was trying to get a sense of what jewels Diana personally owned and would therefore pass on to the boys and then their wives, but it was hard to find out the info. Kate's style is so conservative, but I can't wait to see her decked out in some great sparklies!! (Slightly OT, but if anyone wants a GREAT site to drool over...er, I mean, to see all of Di's jewels, this site is great! Diana's Jewels)

For someone up-thread asking about the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara, from what I read on other websites, it was gifted to Diana when she married Charles - from the Queen, from her personal collection (i.e. not the Crown Jewels) - but upon their divorce, she returned the tiara to the Queen. I can understand it was an heirloom, but seems weird to have to return a "gift" but maybe, as some others have noted, they were just returned for safe keeping until PW and PH come of age or get married?

At first I wanted to see Kate wear the Strathmore Rose tiara (on the top of her head, not as the QMum wore it) but now I'm hoping that the Queen will have one made just for Kate. Although...I don't like the one made for Sophie, so hopefully it will be better (bigger!) than that one ;) Also, as gorgeous as I think it it, I don't want to see Kate in the Cambridge Lovers Knot since, to me, that is so iconically Diana (and I don't want any more reasons for more comparisons to be made).

p.s. with regard to the sapphire collection that Diana received from the Saudis, I'd like to see it re-made by PW into something new for Kate. Maybe a necklace with the largest stone in the center and the smaller earring stones as side stones on the necklace. So, using all of the jewels from that collection, but made into something new and modern for his bride (maybe even incorporated into a new tiara for her!). That way his mum is with them through those jewels as well but it's not so instantly recognizable as "Diana."

Last edited:
I had originally posted the below here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/catherine-middleton-jewellery-29261-7.html but after discovering this thread (which is more about prospective jewels), I think it fits better here...hope the cross-posting is okay. Thanks :)

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting in these forums but have been lurking for a while, since the big engagement :) I've spent the last couple of days pouring over various Princess Diana jewelry websites to try to figure out which jewels we might see Kate in. I was trying to get a sense of what jewels Diana personally owned and would therefore pass on to the boys and then their wives, but it was hard to find out the info. Kate's style is so conservative, but I can't wait to see her decked out in some great sparklies!! (Slightly OT, but if anyone wants a GREAT site to drool over...er, I mean, to see all of Di's jewels, this site is great! Diana's Jewels)

For someone up-thread asking about the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara, from what I read on other websites, it was gifted to Diana when she married Charles - from the Queen, from her personal collection (i.e. not the Crown Jewels) - but upon their divorce, she returned the tiara to the Queen. I can understand it was an heirloom, but seems weird to have to return a "gift" but maybe, as some others have noted, they were just returned for safe keeping until PW and PH come of age or get married?

At first I wanted to see Kate wear the Strathmore Rose tiara (on the top of her head, not as the QMum wore it) but now I'm hoping that the Queen will have one made just for Kate. Although...I don't like the one made for Sophie, so hopefully it will be better (bigger!) than that one ;) Also, as gorgeous as I think it it, I don't want to see Kate in the Cambridge Lovers Knot since, to me, that is so iconically Diana (and I don't want any more reasons for more comparisons to be made).

p.s. with regard to the sapphire collection that Diana received from the Saudis, I'd like to see it re-made by PW into something new for Kate. Maybe a necklace with the largest stone in the center and the smaller earring stones as side stones on the necklace. So, using all of the jewels from that collection, but made into something new and modern for his bride (maybe even incorporated into a new tiara for her!). That way his mum is with them through those jewels as well but it's not so instantly recognizable as "Diana."

I am very impressed on how well everyone can keep the tiara strraight. i have followed BRF for many many years but i was never able to remember the names and designs so well to pick up on the small differences. everyone here is awesome and i have enjoyed reading the posts.

To Lady Gudgeon, I would be happy to see Catherine wearing the Saudi sapphires as the simple suite that they were and to see Catherine wearing the wedding present emerald bracelet from Prince Charles unless Prince Harry has that piece. Also, I am interested to know which pieces of jewellery the two boys chose when they were so young.

After reading through the entire 24 pages(!) and all of your insightful thoughts, I'm going to go with these as my top 3 picks for Kate to wear at the wedding (and to be her main tiara until she's PoW): 1) the County of Surrey, 2) the Rundell and 3) the Fringe. Although I like the Surrey the best, out of the 3 I picked, I think she'd be most likely to wear the Fringe as it seems the most streamlined and "simple." (Thanks, Aestheticus Rex, for your great list and pics.)

As for her hair, I'd like to see some sort of loosely gathered style (not a braid exactly but somehow loosely gathered at the back) so it's out of her face and pulled back, but still sort of down and soft. (I think she must not like her hair pulled back since it is always down!) Out of my list, I think this "soft" style would go best with the Fringe tiara since the other two are so much more "busy." If she does go with a completely upswept 'do, I'd like to see the Surrey tiara.

I am sure HM would dig up a pearl choker or two and some pearl and diamond earrings for Catherine to use after the wedding. I hope these are not ones identified with Diana.

Why are so many on this forum all in a tizzy about Kate getting Diana's whatever? It was clear at the time of her death that the 2 sons were to inherit Diana's jewels for use by their future wives. I think there is a very strong possibility that Catherine will walk down the aisle at Westminster in the Lover's Knot Tiara (though there are a few others I would personally prefer). And I think that the earth will continue to turn on it's axis, just as it did after William gave Kate his mother's ring. It is obvious to me that William wants his mother to be remembered. I think you will see all of Diana's jewels on Catherine. Which, IMO, is far more appropriate than seeing them reappear on Camilla.

As to whether or not the Dubar tiara is closed or open in the back, I believe this question was settled last year by a great photo posted on Royal Forums of Camilla wearing the tiara. She was in a limo going to an event. It showed the back of the tiara very nicely and we all agreed that the tiara is not open! We all, including Warren were really surprised. I think the side by side photos on this thread (with red circles) explain the change in appearance very well. There was work done on the top of the tiara to spread it out a bit. Great detective work by my fellow posters!

I think Catherine is very likely to be given the Lover's Knot Tiara by The Queen. It wouldn't make much sense if she wasn't as it was worn by The Princess and she will eventually become the new Princess of Wales.

If it doesn't look right on her (and they will test fit to see), then they may go with something else. Catherine may wear the tiara just for her wedding day and be given a more modest piece as a wedding gift.

Why are so many on this forum all in a tizzy about Kate getting Diana's whatever? It was clear at the time of her death that the 2 sons were to inherit Diana's jewels for use by their future wives. I think there is a very strong possibility that Catherine will walk down the aisle at Westminster in the Lover's Knot Tiara (though there are a few others I would personally prefer). And I think that the earth will continue to turn on it's axis, just as it did after William gave Kate his mother's ring. It is obvious to me that William wants his mother to be remembered. I think you will see all of Diana's jewels on Catherine. Which, IMO, is far more appropriate than seeing them reappear on Camilla.

I think without question that we will see the Lover's Knot on Catherine--whether or not it is at the wedding is another question. I also believe that we are going to see some wonderful pieces that belonged to Diana on Catherine and we will see some on whoever Harry marries. I have no idea how the division will take place, so it is going to be rather exciting to see how the breakdown does occur. I do think that one son will receive that glorious sapphire brooch on the seven strand pearl necklace and the other will receive the Saudi set. That's really about as far as I've thought it through. I am curious about her pearl choker with turquoise clasp (later changed to all pearls)--that's a sentimental piece to be sure.
I think, for me, that since it is pretty much accepted that Catherine will receive the Lover's Knot, that I would love to see her walk down the aisle in something different--purely for my own pleasure :whistling: I really want to see a piece that hasn't been seen decades. I don't know which piece, but I think with her style (which is simple) that a bandeau with a simple veil would be nice. She doesn't strike me as "fussy" and as lovely as the lover's knot is, it is a big piece (Diana complained of headaches) and I think she will want to be comfortable on her wedding day.

I thought it was accepted knowledge that all of Diana's jewels for specifically left to Harry?

I'm starting to see her not wearing a tiara as well, and instead wearing her hair down with a 'virgin mary' type veil. It would be very pretty, but i do love a tiara.
I have to admit that look on a 29 year old woman is a bit "out there"! She is a mature and lovely woman and this is her chance to have her very own fairytale wedding and know that everyone loves a bride and adores a Royal bride.

I think that the BRF are very aware of the impact they expect this to have on the Nation and the Commonwealth. That this is something people will come out onto the streets to share and sit glued to the TV to see, to help lift spirits, share the joy, etc. and Kate in "Recession Mode" wedding attire would make anyone feel both depressed and cheated!

The SRF managed to pull off a joyful "family" wedding that people were invited to share but reminded by Crown Princess Victoria herself, that that was their day first and foremost and they were happy to share it with the Nation.

I am hoping that the BRF can manage at least as much!

I think that the BRF are very aware of the impact they expect this to have on the Nation and the Commonwealth. That this is something people will come out onto the streets to share and sit glued to the TV to see, to help lift spirits, share the joy, etc. and Kate in "Recession Mode" wedding attire would make anyone feel both depressed and cheated!

The SRF managed to pull off a joyful "family" wedding that people were invited to share but reminded by Crown Princess Victoria herself, that that was their day first and foremost and they were happy to share it with the Nation.

I am hoping that the BRF can manage at least as much!

I'm sure things are being worked through with every consideration possible. Princess (at the time) Elizabeth's wedding was very well done considering the country was in a post war economy.

Catherine will have to live with comparisons with Diana at every step of her royal life, and I think it is only fair that she be given some time to establish herself in her new role. If she were to wear some of Diana's jewels (in addition to the ring) early on, it would only step up the level of comparisons.

I agree with Janet that it is most likely that Catherine will wear the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara in her lifetime - I would just like to see her wear something different on her wedding day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom