Beatrice and Eugenie: Future Tiaras and Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The late Queen Elizabeth was not thát generous with distributing jewels I think. Her daughter Princess Margaret was best known with the Poltimore diadem, which had no any link to the family's patrimonium. Princess Margaret bought the Poltimore herself, at an auction in 1949.

From her husband, Lord Antony Armstrong-Jones, Earl of Snowdon, she received the Snowdon Diadem (which was also worn by her daughter Lady Sarah on her wedding day).

The only diadem Princess Margaret received from her mother Queen Elizabeth was the Lotus Flower Diadem, which was worn also by her daughter-in-law Lady Serena Stanhope but has now returned into the royal collection (and has been worn by the Duchess of Cambridge).

So from Princess Margaret's three diadems:

1 - bought by herself (Poltimore Diadem)
2 - bought by her husband (Snowdon Diadem)
3 - given by Queen Elizabeth (Lotus Flower Diadem)

Of course Princess Margaret also has been given the Teck circle necklace which can be worn as a diadem (but she never did). So with labelling the late Queen Elizabeth "generous"... It is more thanks to absolute jewel-lover Queen Mary that the present Queen has a big collection of jewels.

:flowers:

Princess Margaret also got the persian turqiose Parure from her mother. It has not been seen since her death so it is not known if it was a gift and is now owned by one of her children or if it is now in the Royal Vautls like the Lotus Flower tiara.

I agree with you, I merely stated that it was shame that a tradition wasn't created!

The distribution of the royal jewellery since the beginning of the Queen's reign has simply not happened. Queen Mary was very generous by passing on magnificent jewels to her family as they married. So was the Queen Mother. Not so our Queen!

I think it is because if she does that then jewels might pass out of the family, such as many of the pieces Mary gifted that aren't used at all or risk being sold off to pay estate taxes. I really wish the English would establish a jewelry foundation like the Swedes that way everyone could borrow from the foundation and there would be no possibility of the jewels passing out of the family.

They really don't need a foundation since the main bulk of the jewels are the Queen's and it's just go to the next sovereign tax free. The Queen just loans them out when needed not gives them to anyone permanently.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Tiaras for Beatrice and Eugenie

The late Queen Elizabeth was not thát generous with distributing jewels I think. Her daughter Princess Margaret was best known with the Poltimore diadem, which had no any link to the family's patrimonium. Princess Margaret bought the Poltimore herself, at an auction in 1949.

From her husband, Lord Antony Armstrong-Jones, Earl of Snowdon, she received the Snowdon Diadem (which was also worn by her daughter Lady Sarah on her wedding day).

The only diadem Princess Margaret received from her mother Queen Elizabeth was the Lotus Flower Diadem, which was worn also by her daughter-in-law Lady Serena Stanhope but has now returned into the royal collection (and has been worn by the Duchess of Cambridge).

So from Princess Margaret's three diadems:

1 - bought by herself (Poltimore Diadem)
2 - bought by her husband (Snowdon Diadem)
3 - given by Queen Elizabeth (Lotus Flower Diadem)

Of course Princess Margaret also has been given the Teck circle necklace which can be worn as a diadem (but she never did). So with labelling the late Queen Elizabeth "generous"... It is more thanks to absolute jewel-lover Queen Mary that the present Queen has a big collection of jewels.

:flowers:

Actually a great deal of Princess Margaret's jewellery came from her mother! Also there are differing accounts of who paid for the Poltimore Tiara - The Princess herself, or her sister or mother! I doubt the first and suspect the Queen.
I agree that the Queen's jewel collection was in the main augmented by her inheritance from her Grandmother, but before her marriage Princess Margaret wore a variety of smaller tiaras which were Queen Mary's but she borrowed them from her Mother. If you look at the catalogue of jewels sold after Princess Margaret's death - a large number of the items were the property of the Queen Mother first. I actually don't believe that the lotus flower tiara did not belong to Princess Margaret - I think that it is more a case of Lady Sarah and Lady Linley have no need of it. Hugh Roberts' book does not mention it being part of the Queen's collection as he does the Boucheron Greville tiara. So yes I do believe the late Queen Mother was generous with her daughters.

Last edited:
I don't think that we can compare the situation of Beatrice and Eugenie with that of Princess Margaret. There are two generations deviding them, and when it comes to tiara wearing and tiara distribution within the family things have changed immensely.

I don't think that we can compare the situation of Beatrice and Eugenie with that of Princess Margaret. There are two generations deviding them, and when it comes to tiara wearing and tiara distribution within the family things have changed immensely.

We are not comparing the princesses at all - you are correct time has moved on, we are discussing the distribution of jewels !

Eugenie would look great in any number of tiaras (not a fan of the Strathmore myself) but I am guessing both girls, if they marry, will wear the York.

LaRae

To quote an old post of mine from the York Wedding thread:

"I don’t think they’ll wear the same wedding tiara. Even non-HRHs ,Autumn and Zara, Serena Linley and Sarah Chatto, used different wedding tiaras. I think Beatrice will wear her mother’s tiara, as she will probably inherit it. Eugenie will probably get a one-day loan tiara from The Queen. Eugenie seems a little edgy so I could see her going for a bandeau. If the Strathmore Rose Tiara isn’t in too fragile condition, she could wear it in a bandeau style like the QEQM did. She looks a lot like a young QEQM, too."

It's cool to see that the Court Jeweller agreed with me that Eugenie seems edgy enough to try a bandeau.

To quote an old post of mine from the York Wedding thread:

"I don’t think they’ll wear the same wedding tiara. Even non-HRHs ,Autumn and Zara, Serena Linley and Sarah Chatto, used different wedding tiaras. I think Beatrice will wear her mother’s tiara, as she will probably inherit it. Eugenie will probably get a one-day loan tiara from The Queen. Eugenie seems a little edgy so I could see her going for a bandeau. If the Strathmore Rose Tiara isn’t in too fragile condition, she could wear it in a bandeau style like the QEQM did. She looks a lot like a young QEQM, too."

It's cool to see that the Court Jeweller agreed with me that Eugenie seems edgy enough to try a bandeau.
I'm not quite convinced by your argument. Both Princess Margaret Princess Anne have/had several tiaras, so they could offer their daughters(-in-law) to chose between them. But Sarah has only one tiara. And seeing that both girls are very close to there mother, I think that both are going to wear Sarah's tiara. Additionally, that tiara is really beautiful, it will make a gorgeous bridal look.

I'm not quite convinced by your argument. Both Princess Margaret Princess Anne have/had several tiaras, so they could offer their daughters(-in-law) to chose between them. But Sarah has only one tiara. And seeing that both girls are very close to there mother, I think that both are going to wear Sarah's tiara. Additionally, that tiara is really beautiful, it will make a gorgeous bridal look.

Well, I think they'll try to differentiate from one another so they can each have a unique wedding. Sarah may of only had one but their grandmother has many at her disposal. I predict different tiaras, different dress designers, and different churches/chapels.

After all, Eugenie once described herself and Beatrice as "chalk and cheese" people. So it stands to reason that they would have very different tastes.

Yes, I agree. When she does become a bride I can see Beatrice going for the traditional look at her wedding with her mother's tiara, while Eugenie might well try something like Princess Charlene did, with a large brooch in the hair keeping the veil in place, and she is likely IMHO to wear a much edgier wedding gown.

Last edited:
IMO I don't think the York Diamond tiara would suit Beatrice at all. The spike or point in the middle gives me a bad feeling about her and it together. If she wore the Strathmore Rose like Archduchess Elisabetta wore here veil and tiara it would look good. If she also wore it lower on her head but no to low like QEQM it would look exquisite. I think Eugenie should wear the York Diamond but I really would like to see here in the Strathmore. Maybe the York Diamond would be good on Bea because all in all what do I know.

It's funny how some pieces of jewellery that have rather miserable histories do encourage those sort of feelings. After all, the York tiara was worn on a day of great joy and excitement and in anticipation of a very happy union. And, in spite of the fact that Andrew and Sarah have remained good friends, their marriage was very brief really and certainly didn't end well!

The only way it won't be the York tiara is if Sarah is wearing it herself underneath her wedding hat, only to dramatically whip it off and make whatever wedding she's attending a double wedding with Andrew.

Difference is Sarah is not the royal parent in this case. Sarah may only have 1 but Andrew certainly has access to others. I doubt the queen wouldn't loan one for the day.

I think the girls will want distinct weddings. I see who ever weds first wearing the York and the other a loaner. Or perhaps Bea as oldest in York. I'd love to Eugenie in the Strathmore, she looks so like her great gran

What if Sarah needs her wedding tiara for the event herself? She would wear her tiara versus something borrowed from QEII.

I imagine that the coronation of Charles and eventually William will bring some tiaras and jewels out for the event.

Princess B and Princess E are the granddaughters of the current monarch. Knowing that they may not have many future opportunities to wear a tiara shouldn't be the reason for them not to inherit some jewelry from their grandma.

My speculation that is that Andrew will have much less opportunity to get the girls in jewels when his brother is king. The Queen should take care of this versus the 2 brothers.

It will be interesting to see what these granddaughters will have access to. I hope that there is some brooches or earrings that end up with them. They don't have to be historical pieces, but remembrances of their grandma.

The historical stuff is largely part of the Royal Collection so it avoids death duties or other inheritance taxes. The BRF are first and foremost concerned with keeping all the goodies safe for their use and having had a few well-known pieces associated with a royal e.g. the Poltimore tiara end up being sold even some of the formally private pieces were handed over to the Royal Collection to prevent that from happening again.

Obviously, of the girls want to do so they will be able to wear a tiara to their weddings - the only person who wears a tiara to a BRF wedding is the bride so they could wear the same one their mother wore.

When else they may wear them - who knows? They probably won't be attending State functions in the future and so no need for them to have things to wear for State Banquets or the Diplomatic Reception - the only other time the BRF wears bling for public events.

I am sure they will have been given some jewellery from their grandmother but nothing from the main vaults but something personal from her to them at a landmark birthday for instance.

What if Sarah needs her wedding tiara for the event herself? She would wear her tiara versus something borrowed from QEII. [.....]

I believe we have to go back before the Great War (1914-1918) to find a British royal wedding with more than one diadem. And who knows... maybe the Princesses will go for low key weddings in such a typical Cotswold village with limestone cottages, floral hanging baskets and stone-tiled roofs and go bohémemien, with myrtle or flowers instead of diamonds.

:previous: Highly doubtful. Even among the gentry, if a family had a tiara, bride more then often wears it. Even if they married say at Balmoral, they will wear a tiara. Zara and autumn did, and they are private citizens, the Yorks will.

But yes, the only tiara will be on the bride. Even the semi state or state weddings in the Uk that is the case.

I could see the york girls attending state banquets and the diplomatic corps reception in the future.

Actually i wouldn't be surprised if beatrice attended the upcoming USA state visit it's customary that they invite people with association to the visiting country and beatrice is developing for a while her own business in the usa.

I think the Queen will leave for them pieces that they can use as a tiara for formal events or as something else in less formal events and everyday use something like a fringe tiara that they could wear as a tiara and as a necklace.

Last edited:
I could see the york girls attending state banquets and the diplomatic corps reception in the future.

Actually i wouldn't be surprised if beatrice attended the upcoming USA state visit it's customary that they invite people with association to the visiting country and beatrice is developing for a while her own business in the usa.

I think the Queen will leave for them pieces that they can use as a tiara for formal events or as something else in less formal events and everyday use something like a fringe tiara that they could wear as a tiara and as a necklace.
I certainly hope that the York girls do not start to attend State banquet or start to represent the nation in any way.

As regards HM leaving them any jewellery, that's really a private matter. A few small pieces as a personal momento is is okay, but I hope they do not get much more than that and the royal collection of jewellery is kept intact . I am sure they will be happier inheriting some cash.

Senior royal ladies only have a few tiara occasions a year. For the one or two times in their lives the Yorks will need a tiara one can be loaned.

Andrew has millions in the bank. He can always splash some cash and buy a couple if they really want one that bad.

They certainly won't be left tiaras by The Queen

As regards HM leaving them any jewellery, that's really a private matter. A few small pieces as a personal momento is is okay, but I hope they do not get much more than that and the royal collection of jewellery is kept intact . I am sure they will be happier inheriting some cash.
The Queen has several nice demi parues consisting of smaller necklaces and earrings like the sapphire tassel necklace or the emerald tassel necklace. I think pieces like this wold be ideal for the York Pricnesses as they can also be worn to less formell Events.

They will certainly need Tiaras for the Coronation of their Uncle, [and after him] for their Cousin.. but they could borrow for those occasions either from the Royal collection or elsewhere..
Otherwise, since they won't be at Banquets or Diplomatic receptions there is no need for personal ownership or permanent loans of 'official jewels' of this sort.

They will certainly need Tiaras for the Coronation of their Uncle, [and after him] for their Cousin.. but they could borrow for those occasions either from the Royal collection or elsewhere..
Otherwise, since they won't be at Banquets or Diplomatic receptions there is no need for personal ownership or permanent loans of 'official jewels' of this sort.

Assuming that the dresscode somewhere in 2020 or so will be the same as in 1953. Society has changed as never before. The Hereditary Peers are virtually removed from the House of Lords with only a little handful left. We will see hundreds of Peeresses (in their own right or as spouse to a Peer) with barely a pair of earrings in their drawer. Even aristocrat families have sold jewels for cash, so it remains to see what the dresscode will be for Charles' or William's Coronation.

The historical stuff is largely part of the Royal Collection so it avoids death duties or other inheritance taxes. The BRF are first and foremost concerned with keeping all the goodies safe for their use and having had a few well-known pieces associated with a royal e.g. the Poltimore tiara end up being sold even some of the formally private pieces were handed over to the Royal Collection to prevent that from happening again.

What about a piece like Kate's engagement ring?
Since it once belonged to Diana, would it be considered part of the collection?
Or is it Kate's personal property, to be worn or sold if she pleases?

Engagements rings are always personal property so Diana's ring was her personal property to leave to her sons and for them to do with as they saw fit.

It is now Kate's personal property.

Back
Top Bottom