Beatrice and Eugenie: Future Tiaras and Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was Sarah's wedding tiara the only one that Sarah owned? Or the only one that Andrew owned?

I agree that it would be silly to give either of the Yorks a tiara from the Royal collection - it would make more sense to loan it to them if and when the need arises, and keep the collection intact. However, I'm having a hard time believing that Sarah only ever had one tiara of her own that either she or her husband owned. Did we really never see her wearing any other tiaras?

Does anyone know where Sarah's wedding tiara is at this time?

Google images didn't really show another tiara other than the one bought for the wedding by the Queen. I don't think her family had a tiara already like the Spencers did.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Does anyone know where Sarah's wedding tiara is at this time?

My guess is, like Sarah's engagement and wedding ring, that it remains as the property of Sarah.

I can't imagine that there would have been or will be any instances that Sarah would choose to give away or sell those. She seems to be a very sentimental type person.

Sarah only had one tiara that she wore ,I don't think she ever borrowed one from the Queen not that I can remember.

There are other royal women such as Alexandria, Duchess of Gloucester or Princess Michael to go to the state dinner tomorrow. The grandkids aren't going attend a state dinner before the Cambridges do and the Cambridges aren't going to the state dinner tomorrow.

It's actually Princess Birgitta who is the Duchess of Gloucester. Alexandra (not Alexandria) would be Princess Alexandra of Kent. Apologies for the minor nitpick. :flowers:

It's actually Princess Birgitta who is the Duchess of Gloucester. Alexandra (not Alexandria) would be Princess Alexandra of Kent. Apologies for the minor nitpick. :flowers:

I see your nitpick (typo on Princess Alexandra name, there is a comma between her and Duchess of Gloucester so not referring to Alex. as Duchess of Gloucester) and raise you one - it's Princess Husband Name for married non royal born princess of the BRF. :)

Only Anne, Beatrice, Eugenie, Alexandra and in theory but not practice Louise are HRH Princess First Name.

Are they going to share it?

Did/does Sarah only have one tiara? I mean, yes she was married to the younger son of the monarch, but it seems to me like in the 10 years she was a royal she may have accumulated more than just the one tiara.

It also seems likely to me that at some point in time Beatrice and Eugenie may each get their own tiaras. Comparing them to Zara and Autumn is a bit difficult; neither Zara nor Autumn are royals themselves, and while Beatrice and Eugenie may never be active parts of the Firm, they're still royal women. It is possible that at some point in the future they may attend a state dinner, or a foreign royal tiara event. We've seen the female Kents and Gloucesters have need for tiaras, so it seems likely that in the future Beatrice and Eugenie will each need their own tiara.

That said, the fact that Zara and Autumn used the same tiara for their weddings makes me wonder what they'll wear for Charles or William's coronations.
Sarah definitely only ever had one tiara. But that one still belongs to her, she had worn it after her divorce for Elton John's "White Tie & Tiara Balls".

I don't think that we can compare the York princesses with the Kents and the Gloucesters, because they are two generations apart. The current Dukes of Kent and Gloucester are the Queen's first cousins, and they started to attend State Banquets in an era when Royal Splendour was still spelled in capital letters, when even regimental dinners or movie premiers would call for tiaras. Those days seem to be gone forever. There are hardly any tiara events left and also there are efforts to down size the Royal Family.

As was already pointed out by Skippyboo, Zara and Autumn wore different tiaras for their weddings. Zara wore the greek key tiara while Autumn wore Princess Anne's festoon tiara. The Princess Royal also has (at least) the aquamarine pine cone tiara. So there will be enough tiara for that branch of the family if the next coronation will call for tiaras.

I think the next coronation will be a tiara event. I don't think Charles wants to make his coronation a jeans and t-shirt affair...that'll be William's coronation.

As far as B & E and tiaras, there will be plenty for them to choose from if they ever need one. I'm sure there are pieces that haven't seen the light of day for 100 years. Both ladies would look good in a tiara, don't you think?

Would it be possible to have a copy of the Rundell Tiara made for either Princess Beatrice or Princess Eugenie?

I think the princesses will wear their mother's tiara for their weddings…

but… sigh… i do wish today's British Royal family would be more like they used to be… Princess Alexandra of Kent was still a teenager (i believe) when she started wearing tiaras and has been wearing them ever since, and at the time she was niece to King George and QUeen Elizabeth and in time B+E will be nieces of King Charles, so they are the same rank (Alexandra and B+E I mean).

Diana and Fergie used to wear tiaras all the time, but these days only the Queen wears one regularly. You only see the odd pic of the female members of the Royal Family at a state dinner, otherwise they wear tiaras at a European royal wedding (I'm thinking of you, Sophie).

Unfortunately, I dont think that Bea and Eugenie will have lots of opportunities to wear tiaras other than at their weddings. The Way Forward Committee/ aka Charles has made it clear that there is no 'working future' for them in BRF. I think their grandmother, if still alive when the B and E's weddings come around would lend them an historic tiara. Strathmore rose or something.

Once again the furphy of a smaller royal family is trotted out when the facts have been published time and again elsewhere in this site.

Repeated again here from the Monarchy Under Charles thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/the-monarchy-under-charles-16252-96.html

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
@jennyg2k The idea of Charles wanting a slimmer monarchy seems based on a 1990s briefing by one spin doctor trying to big him up at the time

2:18 AM - 22 Jan 13 · Details

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter@jennyg2k It may be true Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy but I know of nobody inside the Royal Household who is briefing that.

The evidence is rather thin IMO
This is one of the ideas that has simply been repeated and repeated until it has become fact when the facts are themselves disputed.

As for whether the girls will wear a tiara and if so which one: surely that would depend on:

1. whom they marry as that person may have a family tiara worn by the brides
2. when they marry - in the present reign more likely to have a tiara
3. where they marry - if in a church then probably but if in a registry office then probably not
4. IF they marry - they don't have to do so
5. any one of a number of other reasons but I can't be bothered thinking of anymore at the moment.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to have a copy of the Rundell Tiara made for either Princess Beatrice or Princess Eugenie?

Of course. It might just be the small matter of finding somebody to pay for it, and the matter of finding occasions where the girls might use it.

I really hope they will wear their mother's tiara on their wedding days. It will also be great if either of them wore the Strathmore Rose Tiara, if possible.

I really hope they will wear their mother's tiara on their wedding days. It will also be great if either of them wore the Strathmore Rose Tiara, if possible.

Their mothers tiara would certainly be a lovely a choice for the girls.

Beatrice is the one that likes to dress up. Eugenie is more casual. Beatrice will probably wear a tiara at her wedding. I am hoping for the Vladimir with emeralds but I know that is a long shot.

Beatrice would wear the Fringe tiara and add to the list of royal brides that have worn this tiara.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01880/tiara-queens_1880124c.jpg

Last edited:

I hope that this tiara makes an appearance one day.

Beatrice is the one that likes to dress up. Eugenie is more casual. Beatrice will probably wear a tiara at her wedding. I am hoping for the Vladimir with emeralds but I know that is a long shot.

Beatrice would wear the Fringe tiara and add to the list of royal brides that have worn this tiara.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01880/tiara-queens_1880124c.jpg

I so do hope not, on both fronts. Both those tiara's have been used by senior royal ladies, and to me, B&E don't qualify. I think Sarah's tiara would be a lovely choice for both girls.

I think the sunray tiara would be eminently suitable for both Princess Beatrice and Eugenie to wear - they are after all Granddaughters of The Sovereign ! Its provenance after all goes back no further than Queen Mary and is therefore not an historic heirloom ! I thought it was a shame that Zara Phillips didn't continue the charming tradition of wearing the tiara for her wedding as her mother and grandmother did before her.

I think the sunray tiara would be eminently suitable for both Princess Beatrice and Eugenie to wear - they are after all Granddaughters of The Sovereign ! Its provenance after all goes back no further than Queen Mary and is therefore not an historic heirloom ! I thought it was a shame that Zara Phillips didn't continue the charming tradition of wearing the tiara for her wedding as her mother and grandmother did before her.

I personally don't think the Fringe tiara it was offered to Zara. It remains the Queen's tiara and one she continues to use occasionally. The only person she has lent it to was her own daughter, and that was to use the one time only.

The fringe tiara was perfect as bridal tiara. But let's face it: it was worn by only two brides, the Queen and Princess Anne. Two brides doesn't make a longstanding, strong tradition. So far there is not the slightest indication that the BRF wants to establish the fringe as their wedding tiara. Therefore I think it much more likely that the York Princesses will wear their mother's tiara at their weddings.

I personally don't think the Fringe tiara it was offered to Zara. It remains the Queen's tiara and one she continues to use occasionally. The only person she has lent it to was her own daughter, and that was to use the one time only.

Wasn't it in the Queen Miothers posession until her death in 2002? She stopped to use it in the 1950's short after the death of her husband.

Once again the furphy of a smaller royal family is trotted out when the facts have been published time and again elsewhere in this site.

This is one of the ideas that has simply been repeated and repeated until it has become fact when the facts are themselves disputed.

I accept that Charles probably has not actually stated that he wants a streamlined RF.

BUT...if not true, then I think Beatrice at least would have begun doing some official engagements by now. The fact that she hasn't makes me think she never will.

We will just have to wait and see. The next "BIG" event for the ENTIRE family would be a Coronation.

No Lady Marmelade.

The next big event for the entire family is likely to be funeral for either the DoE or for HMQ..

Not something any of us are looking forward to !

No Lady Marmelade.

The next big event for the entire family is likely to be funeral for either the DoE or for HMQ..

Not something any of us are looking forward to !

I think Lady Marmelade was talking about the next big family tiara event, which would be a Coronation.

When Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie will marry, I expect they will loan their mother's wedding diadem.

For a coronation, assuming that Sarah Ferguson will not attending, the eldest daughter will wear their mother's diadem and the youngest daughter will wear a loan from the royal collection or a befriended jeweller, so is my assumption. Or the two Princesses finally break with the "commonization" and marry the son of a Duke, a Marquess, a Count, a Viscount, whatever and wear their ancestral jewels, like Lady Melissa van Straubenzee née Percy of Northumberland.

When Princess Beatrice or Princess Eugenie would marry eeeuh... let us say Lady Melissa's brother Lord George Percy of Northumberland, Earl Percy (once rumoured to have dated Philippa Middleton) we would see her with similar splendid jewels or beautuful carriages from the Dukes of Northumberland. The 'commonization' is nice, but jewelrywise, qua castles, carrriages, splendour and tradition a lot is lost, of course. For me it would be great to see Harry, Beatrice or Eugenie making a choice for a more traditional partner.

:flowers:

Last edited:
The fringe tiara was perfect as bridal tiara. But let's face it: it was worn by only two brides, the Queen and Princess Anne. Two brides doesn't make a longstanding, strong tradition. So far there is not the slightest indication that the BRF wants to establish the fringe as their wedding tiara. Therefore I think it much more likely that the York Princesses will wear their mother's tiara at their weddings.

I agree with you, I merely stated that it was shame that a tradition wasn't created!

The distribution of the royal jewellery since the beginning of the Queen's reign has simply not happened. Queen Mary was very generous by passing on magnificent jewels to her family as they married. So was the Queen Mother. Not so our Queen!

I agree with you, I merely stated that it was shame that a tradition wasn't created!

The distribution of the royal jewellery since the beginning of the Queen's reign has simply not happened. Queen Mary was very generous by passing on magnificent jewels to her family as they married. So was the Queen Mother. Not so our Queen!

The late Queen Elizabeth was not thát generous with distributing jewels I think. Her daughter Princess Margaret was best known with the Poltimore diadem, which had no any link to the family's patrimonium. Princess Margaret bought the Poltimore herself, at an auction in 1949.

From her husband, Lord Antony Armstrong-Jones, Earl of Snowdon, she received the Snowdon Diadem (which was also worn by her daughter Lady Sarah on her wedding day).

The only diadem Princess Margaret received from her mother Queen Elizabeth was the Lotus Flower Diadem, which was worn also by her daughter-in-law Lady Serena Stanhope but has now returned into the royal collection (and has been worn by the Duchess of Cambridge).

So from Princess Margaret's three diadems:

1 - bought by herself (Poltimore Diadem)
2 - bought by her husband (Snowdon Diadem)
3 - given by Queen Elizabeth (Lotus Flower Diadem)

Of course Princess Margaret also has been given the Teck circle necklace which can be worn as a diadem (but she never did). So with labelling the late Queen Elizabeth "generous"... It is more thanks to absolute jewel-lover Queen Mary that the present Queen has a big collection of jewels.

:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom