Appropriate Age to Wear Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some unmarried women did wear tiaras in Victorian and Edwardian times. The first that comes to mind is Edward VII's daughter Victoria.
There were quite a few royal ladies who wore tiaras before their wedding, or who wore tiaras although they never married. Eg. Princess Tyra of Denmark, b. 1880, wore tiaras without ever being married. And in the 20th century it became quite common that unmarried royal ladies wore tiaras from age 18.

To me it seems that the rule that only married women should wear tiaras is more followed by noble families, while royal families didn't follow it so much and were the first to abandon this old rule.

:previous: I got the impression that when a young woman had her come out and put her hair up she was considered and adult and wore jewellery if her family had it. The norm seemed to be pearls.

:previous: I got the impression that when a young woman had her come out and put her hair up she was considered and adult and wore jewellery if her family had it. The norm seemed to be pearls.

That was my impression too. The début was usually also the first time a lady was seen with a diadem. See picture.

The recent posts are all about tiara's, but the original post was about jewelry in general and I find it an interesting question:
Do royal houses also have little rings or bracelets or earrings for younger girls? Like in the original post was suggested, maybe like coral beads etc?

Surely you don't have to wait until you're 18 with wearing a pretty bracelet or small necklace?

Dear Madame,

I beg to differ to differ???? Anybody who can afford the monstrously expensive little toys can wear them, just as any woman can put on a ring, a bracelet, a pair of earings, a necklace. A tiara, while it may have all kinds of associations, is simply, in most but not all cases, a very beautiful piece of jewelry which any woman can wear. As we have seen even gorgeous tiaras on some of these, to not be too unkind, homely women, royal or not are flops. On drop dead gorgeous women, the divine CP Mary for instance, they are fantastic. Take the Desiree Clary parure, even if the DCP Mary were still Miss Mary Donaldson of Tasmania she would still look out of this world.

Go back to the Bible (Ie. Mr Munn's Tiaras) and see some of the 19th century goodies that some of the very nouveau riche Americans wore. They are a stitch. So if dame or whatever Elizabeth Taylor wants to wear a tiara, more power to her. If Tom Cruse or Brad Pitt want to buy some lovely goodie to bedeck the head of their latest inamorata more power to them. Better to look at some bijeaux on the head of one of Brad's "friends" wives or whatever than to go to a movie and view the entire, and I mean entire, back and backside of Mr. Pitt,(shades of the Hollywood take off on the Iliad) any day of the week, say I. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

I have to agree with you 100%.
Also this Royal things it s really iffy! I just was reading about The Spanish Royals Starting with Fernanado 1 of Aragon, well in his days and before even himself, all this royals they had a lot of mistresses and a lot of bastards kids, I must say It looks as fathers they took care of their bastards kids, making them nobles , some of this kids , became kings and Queens because the legitimate kid died to young or not having kids, what ever reason, a lot of this royals come from not Really blue blood, so If Mary Donaldson can look superb with a tiara why nor Elizabeth Tylor or for that matter Angelina Jolie.

I must confess, I actually do own a tiara, a modest one, and I consider myself a very lucky girl indeed. I've worn it to big fancy formal balls (not that we go to a lot, but there have been a few occasions), and I've worn it around the house just because sometimes I feel like it. I absolutely love it to pieces (it's mid-Victorian, diamonds and emeralds, not huge stones, and it converts to a necklace and brooches, which is the way I wear it most) and if I could wear it to the supermarket I probably would.

I think 16 is a good age for simple jewelry (gold, pearls) , and 18 for more important pieces. Really big jewels should be 21 and up, or maybe 25 would be more appropriate.
I am jealous!!!! haha! I would love to have one even if I would walk with it inside the house!:flowers::ROFLMAO::whistling:
I also know that in the old days Russians ladies they have this about as much jewelry they put on themselves more was the rank they were!

I thought I was being smart in giving my goddaughter foundation piece gemstone jewelry from the time she was a baby. It was basic things like gemstone studs, pendant drops, gold and silver chains, etc. The thought was that by the time she would wear those basics, she would have a nice collection of gemstones, pearls, etc.
Silly me. Her mom wore and either kept or lost most of it. :lol:

:previous:that's really too bad, I've never heard of such a case. I guess the safest thing to do if the mother is a little iffy, is to wait until they are sixteen.

I think the worse thing that can happen is for a kid to hear a statement "you'll get my pearls when I die" or give a specific value to an inanimate object as something that is to be treasured to be obtained by one means.. death.'

Jewelry for a child or any other person is a taste developed by the person themselves. A 5 year old would drool and be forever happy with a fake Disney tiara and a "princess" dress. I remember a time as a kid where I won a ring in a gum ball machine and thought it was the neatest thing ever. My grandmother educated me on the fact I wore it on the wrong finger and someday I would wear one there for a right reason. I didn't understand it, but I didn't question it either.

Later on (and this was in the 60s) the subject of getting one's ears pierced came up. I do have to say that I did get my ears pierced for very good reasons and my dad did it. Having virtually no ear lobe and wearing natural Native American ear wear, I needed it. At least that's what he told me. :D Part of my life at that time was studying and learning and performing the dance of the ones that were first here in the US. Its an area I love and respect to this day and a lot of my tastes in what I wear reflects that.

If you look up :previous: and see my avatar, its a piece of jewelry that mean means the world to me. The ages where I started wearing or knowing a meaning of something one wears is gained only by personal experience.

There is no set age and its not the piece of jewelry that matters. Its the experience of an interaction between a person and that inanimate object that really matters.

Back
Top Bottom