The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Commoner

I would say it depends on the Family and Princess in question, they all have their own rules and customs. What is right for a Princess in the United Kingdom might be wrong for a Princess in Norway.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

I would say anyone could wear any piece of jewlery at any age.
Tiny studs on a 6 year old would be okay but I would not like seeing a big diamond & ruby necklace on a 14year old, wouldnt make sense unless she was the Future Queen. Every age has a limit to what can be worn.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Commoner

I must confess, I actually do own a tiara, a modest one, and I consider myself a very lucky girl indeed. I've worn it to big fancy formal balls (not that we go to a lot, but there have been a few occasions), and I've worn it around the house just because sometimes I feel like it. I absolutely love it to pieces (it's mid-Victorian, diamonds and emeralds, not huge stones, and it converts to a necklace and brooches, which is the way I wear it most) and if I could wear it to the supermarket I probably would.

I think 16 is a good age for simple jewelry (gold, pearls) , and 18 for more important pieces. Really big jewels should be 21 and up, or maybe 25 would be more appropriate.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:01 AM
Courtier

As I recall, Old Queen Mary who was married to King George V dressed up every evening for dinner --- long gown and tiara - just to dine with the family! And the family was expected to dress up too!
I think that all of the tiaras which belong now to Queen Elizabeth got a good workout when Queen Mary owned them.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess Ravenna View Post
I must confess, I actually do own a tiara, a modest one, and I consider myself a very lucky girl indeed. I've worn it to big fancy formal balls (not that we go to a lot, but there have been a few occasions), and I've worn it around the house just because sometimes I feel like it. I absolutely love it to pieces (it's mid-Victorian, diamonds and emeralds, not huge stones, and it converts to a necklace and brooches, which is the way I wear it most) and if I could wear it to the supermarket I probably would.

I think 16 is a good age for simple jewelry (gold, pearls) , and 18 for more important pieces. Really big jewels should be 21 and up, or maybe 25 would be more appropriate.
WOW - terrifically jealous right now!!!!!!!!!!!

But to get back on topic - I think that small tiaras as a rule are appropriate from the 18th birthday, and larger (depending variables of course) from the 21st birthday.
A single strand of pearls from 16, and perhaps a small (yet elegant) brooch?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Aristocracy

that sounds goods! and also decent, yet elegant earrings to complete the ensemble...
Old 04-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Royal Highness

Tiara-18th birthday seems to be the standard. Pearls--fifteen/sixteen or so,
pearl earrings around the same time-

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Aristocracy

too much jewellery, especially when you're young, can also turn out to be very gauche!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Serene Highness

Smile Glistening Seas

i think it's okay for young children to get jewelry. However, when they are really young they tend to be into the "paste" jewlery as it's more of a "for fun" thing. So as parents i think the right thing to do is get children "real gold" as presents but monitor the child's useage and "teach" a child how to wear it appropriately and to "save" it for when they are older, creating a treasure chest for future wearability out of it. That way the child has "something" of value that they own "immediately" which they can wear when they are "older"; while they continue to use "paste" for everyday fun. In this day an age of collectibility it seems like a smart thing to do. don't you think?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Courtier

Traditionally a woman was able to wear a tiara at her wedding and after. Members of the Russian Imperial Family would be bedecked or loaded down, depending upon how you look at it, at a very early age. I am not sure about jewelry for children but mature young women -certainly some of these drop dead gorgeous young things, ah youth is so wasted on the young, sigh, -can be ravishing indeed. I just wish we could get away with a masculine equivalent and have the men, name.ly me, bedecked and dripping with goodies two. I still say an elegant and truly spectacular fig leaf-emeralds and diamonds come immediately to mind- would do Brad Pitt wonders, of course just about anything would do Brad Pitt wonders. Cheeers.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Courtier

In the UK it used to be a pretty solid rule about wearing tiaras after a wedding. It was common in the last century to wear them to the opera and other white-tie occasions, but even then unmarried women didn't. In Victorian and Edwardian times, it was considered de rigeuer to wear jewels in the hair at the most formal occasions, from dinners to state events.

In the US, 16 seems to be the coming-of-age tradition for women. And some girls do wear tiaras at their coming out balls. (I think this is considered a bit strange, though). Generally, apart from weddings, tiaras are never worn in the US.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Majesty

i think at 16 we will see small jewllery on the younger princesses. Madeleine wore a diamond brooch in her hair to Queen Magrethes birthday 2000 sge was still 17 in April
Old 04-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Commoner

Beyond appropriateness of the events (State Banquets) or occasions (weddings) is there an age of when it is acceptable to wear a tiara? 18? 21?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Royal Highness

In Sweden, Victoria wore her first Tiara on her 18 b-day, so I presume Estelle will wear hers for the first time on her 18 birthday as well.

In Japan, when a Princess turns 20 years old, she will meet with the Emperor&Empress dressed properly and with a Tiara. In Japan the 20 birthday is the legal age and is a very important and significant occasion which is celebrated (Every year on January, girls who turn 20 that year, dress up with traditional attire Kimono and go celebrate religiously in a shrine).
In the Princess Life, that age also mark the begining of royal engagements.

For Heiress Princesses, 18, is the age that marks the adulthood, their commintment for the country and can act as Regent, so I assume 18 is the appropriate age in Europe that Princesses starts wearing Tiaras from then on, especially Future Queens.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Serene Highness

Didn't Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg wear a tiara when she was 16? I think it was the small floral tiara, IIRC. There must be a picture somewhere in the depth of some thread.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria at the norwegian state visit to Sweden, she was 15 years old.
http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/foto...E84B508&sz=800
Victoria on her 18th birthday
Victoria at the Nobel Prize Ceremony in December 1995, she was 18 years old.
http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/foto...73DE309&sz=800
Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Victoria at the norwegian state visit to Sweden, she was 15 years old.
Victoria on her 18th birthday
Victoria at the Nobel Prize Ceremony in December 1995, she was 18 years old.
http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/foto...73DE309&sz=800
The tiara that Victoria is wearing here, at the noble awards at 18, is this still in the family? I don't recognize it. It does not look like the steal cut tiara.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCtrojan View Post
The tiara that Victoria is wearing here, at the noble awards at 18, is this still in the family? I don't recognize it. It does not look like the steal cut tiara.
That was her very first tiara, given to her at 18. It's her personal property as far as I know.

I'd wager it's somewhere, waiting for Estelle to turn 18.

Here, it's mentioned in this piece: http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/...as-tiaras.html

Tags
jewellery, tiaras, tradition