The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I thought when Martha Louise married she lost her HRH status, would that be why she doesn't wear a tiara at events anymore? Does only someone styled HRH get to wear a tiara at events in Norway? I'm not sure that's why I'm asking but that would be my guess. Yes, Socal girl I agree with you that Sonja could have let Martha Louise borrow more substantial tiaras when she was still a princess.
As Stefan said, Martha Louise still wears a tiara when the occasion calls for it. She still participates in galas for State Visits and attends weddings of her royal counter-parts. Even though she lost her HRH, she's still the only daughter of the King of Norway! You would think she would have a little more choice. The only tiara she seems to wear now is the one that she received for her 18th birthday. Even when she had her HRH, she wasn't given much choice. She's worn another small tiara on one occasion that I can't even remember and then she wore the pearl and diamond tiara for her wedding. Maybe she didn't want to wear grander tiaras but I just think it's strange that after her first tiara there wasn't much follow-up.

Does anyone know Infantas Elena and Cristina's first tiaras and what age they received them at?

Old 09-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
As Stefan said, Martha Louise still wears a tiara when the occasion calls for it. She still participates in galas for State Visits and attends weddings of her royal counter-parts. Even though she lost her HRH, she's still the only daughter of the King of Norway! You would think she would have a little more choice. The only tiara she seems to wear now is the one that she received for her 18th birthday. Even when she had her HRH, she wasn't given much choice. She's worn another small tiara on one occasion that I can't even remember and then she wore the pearl and diamond tiara for her wedding. Maybe she didn't want to wear grander tiaras but I just think it's strange that after her first tiara there wasn't much follow-up.

Does anyone know Infantas Elena and Cristina's first tiaras and what age they received them at?
The Infantas Elena and cristina started attending State Banquets and wearing Tiaras when the turned 18 respetivly. They have worn either the floral Tiara or the prussian diamond Tiara, but since her Wedding Elena wears only the Marichalar Tiara which she recieved as a wedding gift from the Family of her husband. As for Cristina i think she owns no Tiara and wears the two metioned above from the collection of her mother.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-16-2006, 03:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
The Infantas Elena and cristina started attending State Banquets and wearing Tiaras when the turned 18 respetivly. They have worn either the floral Tiara or the prussian diamond Tiara, but since her Wedding Elena wears only the Marichalar Tiara which she recieved as a wedding gift from the Family of her husband. As for Cristina i think she owns no Tiara and wears the two metioned above from the collection of her mother.
Thanks for the info, Stefan. That's not much is it? Letizia has worn only the Prussian tiara and the floral tiara also. I would think Elena and Cristina would have had more options than those two tiaras. Looks like in Spain, 18 is also the golden number.

Does anybody know when Queen Beatrix wore her first tiara?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Stefan. That's not much is it? Letizia has worn only the Prussian tiara and the floral tiara also. I would think Elena and Cristina would have had more options than those two tiaras. Looks like in Spain, 18 is also the golden number.

Yes but the spanish Royal Family has not so many smaller tiaras. Elena wore one time a circle tiara for the Wedding Gala of Friedrich of Württemberg but it is not clear who owns this tiara. And the Shell Tiara i a favorit of the Queen and so probalby out of the question. But why not he Ruby Necklace/Tiara .

There was a ball on her 18. birthday and probably this was the first time she wore a tiara. For photos you have probably to ask on the Benelux or Glittering Royals Board.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I know that generally a woman should not wear a tiara until she is married. Sarah Ferguson kept to this tradition when she married Prince Andrew, going into the church wearing flowers in her hair and coming out with a diamond tiara. The princesses of Sweden started wearing tiaras when they turned eighteen. Most modern princesses (even the young ones) have been seen with modest pieces made of gold and tiny jewels.

I was wondering about the eventual coronation of Charles and Camilla. Will the younger princesses wear tiaras and other finery? Although not usually acceptable, is a grand affair like a coronation grounds for eschewing the normal rules?
I can expand on this a little bit, for Queen Elizabeth coronation Princess Margaret wore a small tiara she was not married at the time.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/coro...ronation1.html (picture 5)

Princess Alexandra of Kent who was 16 at the time did not (well according to this picture)

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/coro...ronation6.html (picture 5)
Old 09-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks so much for the links!
Old 09-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

You can wear a diademe as well

In this thread I see guesses about being and HRH or having lost the HRH and so on. Fact is that you do not need to be royal or noble at all to wear a diademe, which is in essence just a hair ornament.

That you only see noble and royal ladies wearing diademes only has to do with the fact that it often are heirloom family jewelry and that these ladies still do know occasions which enable them to 'pack out' with glitz and glam.

Note that Queen Beatrix' grandmother (Queen Wilhelmina) received her first diademe as a birthday-present from her father. She received the so-called triangular motif diamond diademe at the age of.... nine (!).
Old 09-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Royal Highness

1956 State Visit from Luxembourg

Quote:
The first diademe Queen Beatrix wore was during a concert in the Concertgebouw Amsterdam, given in honour of the Grand-Duchess of Luxembourg, Duchess of Nassau.

It was the so-called diamond Laurel Wreath Diademe from her far ancestor Louise Duchess of Braunschweig-Wolffenbüttel born Princess of Orange-Nassau (1770-1819). (Sister of King Willem I of the Netherlands).

See the link for the picture: http://racer.kb.nl/gvn-mod/resolver....27-10-P029-3_V
Old 09-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Serene Highness

Smile Gistening Seas

hello everyone imho wouldn't it be better to receive one piece of jewelry per year at every age of life so that when the person is 18 they have somewhat of a collection no matter how young they are any opInIons on this
Old 09-17-2006, 02:28 AM
Courtier

Thank you Henri. M for the info!
Old 09-23-2006, 04:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
How did the Spanish Infantas receive their first tiaras?
Do they even have their own? They seem to borrow the same ones from Queen Sofia and rotate wearing them. Maybe because there isn't as large of a collection of family jewels? I thought I read that when the monarchy was overthrown (?) they sold alot of their jewels to support themselves abroad. What was left was set aside as "Crown jewels"?????
Old 11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Aristocracy

I think 18 is an appropiate age to wear a tiara and any major jewelry. At 16 they can start out small. I know when I was 16 my mother gave a set freshwater pearls a necklace with a matching bracelet and earrings. But I've also been wearing jewelry since I was a baby. My ears were pierced when I was year old. My father gave me a 14K gold necklace when I was 5, I wear a gold cross with a very small diamond in the middle that my mother gave me for christmas when I was 12. And when I was 11 my mother gave me a 14K gold byzantine gold necklace with a star of david pendent witha cross and a heart inside of it. Both of which I still wear and never take off.

One thing I have definetly noticed is that none of the young princess (Princess Elisbeth, Princess Ingrid-Alexandra Princess Catharina-Amalia to name a few) don't have their ears pierced. Is that the choice of the parents or would it seem inappropriate for their ears to be pierced at a young age?

As I said above that my ears were piecered when I was 1. I'm from the caribbean and there most baby girls ears are pierced before they are a year old, some parents even do it when they are a few days old.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Royal Highness

I can only tell about the custom in my country, the Netherlands. Usually girls make their own decision on a later age. Under 16 the jeweller or the piercing-shopkeeper needs permission from the parents because after all they are doing damage to a body.

In the Netherlands children remain under parental control until 16. Only with 16 you receive limited capability of acting. With 18 you are fully accountable for yourself. So if Princess Catharina-Amalia wants her ears pierced, she needs her parents' permission first.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Aristocracy

Post Tiaras and Age

I would like thread to be about what tiaras go with age for example The Lovers Knot Tiara was worn by Queen Elizabeth II early on in her regin, then she replaced it with The Grand Duchess Valdmir Tiara. I do not think that Queen Elizabeth II would still be wearing it even if she did not let Lady Diana, Princess of Wales borrow it.

So what tiaras do you think is right for a princess or a queen or both.

My pick for princess : The Strathmore Rose Tiara, The Greek Key Tiara, and The Lover's Knot Tiara
Old 12-21-2006, 01:15 AM
Commoner

I agree rebbevb. I thought this tiara is really suitsble for a princess, young and elegant!!

But I have some question about tiara.

1. Who can wear tiara ? Except queen and princess, can nobility wear tiara ?

2. I have heard that princess wear her first tiara when she was 18, is that true ?

3. What kind occasion can they wear tiara ?
Old 12-21-2006, 04:20 AM
Royal Highness

I think anyone can wear a tiara, not just a Queen or Princess. Of course, how well it looks on someone depends on how it is worn. I think 16-18 is suitable for wearing the first tiara. As for occassions, I would say weddings and formal evening engagments.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Aristocracy, nobility and even movie stars wear tiaras (though I do think a movie star wearing a tiara to be really tacky), but its greatly associated with the ruling classes (Imperial, Royal, Grand Duchal & Princely Houses).

They are still worn nowadays for pretty much the same reasons they were worn a thousand years ago. A sign of wealth and authority, two of the prominent aspects of an elitist hierarchy.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
even movie stars wear tiaras (though I do think a movie star wearing a tiara to be really tacky),
Elizabeth Taylor didn't look tacky in a tiara.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168
Elizabeth Taylor didn't look tacky in a tiara.
I beg to differ.

In my opinion, all movie stars look tacky in a tiara. However, given she is a Dame I guess I could overlook it..haha
Old 12-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Courtier

Dear Madame,

I beg to differ to differ???? Anybody who can afford the monstrously expensive little toys can wear them, just as any woman can put on a ring, a bracelet, a pair of earings, a necklace. A tiara, while it may have all kinds of associations, is simply, in most but not all cases, a very beautiful piece of jewelry which any woman can wear. As we have seen even gorgeous tiaras on some of these, to not be too unkind, homely women, royal or not are flops. On drop dead gorgeous women, the divine CP Mary for instance, they are fantastic. Take the Desiree Clary parure, even if the DCP Mary were still Miss Mary Donaldson of Tasmania she would still look out of this world.

Go back to the Bible (Ie. Mr Munn's Tiaras) and see some of the 19th century goodies that some of the very nouveau riche Americans wore. They are a stitch. So if dame or whatever Elizabeth Taylor wants to wear a tiara, more power to her. If Tom Cruse or Brad Pitt want to buy some lovely goodie to bedeck the head of their latest inamorata more power to them. Better to look at some bijeaux on the head of one of Brad's "friends" wives or whatever than to go to a movie and view the entire, and I mean entire, back and backside of Mr. Pitt,(shades of the Hollywood take off on the Iliad) any day of the week, say I. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Tags
jewellery, tiaras, tradition