The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2015, 06:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Travelling

Hi folks

I just thought I would post this as I am currently in London (landed 5.20 this morning and was in my hotel room by 6.30 a.m.)

I will be visiting all our favourite London British royal sites, as well as many others of interest to me. I am here for most of the next four weeks.

I will try to pop in each night and see what is happening - and I have my computer with me so should be able to update the Engagements thread - this week's will be done tonight as I am planning an early evening after the 23 hour flight and a full day of orienting myself to where I am staying in London.

I will give my thoughts on the royal sites that I have visited before if there is anything to report - maybe.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:24 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Welcome to London! Are you just visiting the capital or travelling anywhere else?

If you'd said sooner we could have had a TRF afternoon tea!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Bathhurst's loss is London's gain! Have a great time.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Welcome to London! Are you just visiting the capital or travelling anywhere else?

If you'd said sooner we could have had a TRF afternoon tea!
This time I am just in London although a few day trips are planned. Have tickets to Wimbledon and the Lords' Test so fun times ahead.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I hope you have a nice time in London! There are so many things to see and do here.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Aristocracy

Oh my! I can't imagine a 23 hour flight. I get itchy every time I fly to Europe and it's only seven or eight hours. I've always wanted to visit Melbourne for the tennis tournament but can't get myself excited enough for that long trip.

Have fun at Wimbledon. I'm watching Dimitrov beat up on a nice looking Argentine boy right now.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

As I am here in London I have no idea of any results so far as I have been out and about and no one was talking about the tennis - not that I asked anyone anyway.

Today I visited Westminster Abbey. It is always my first stop when I come to London and it will also be the last place I visit on the day I leave. I always find something new or different there and today was no exception. Found the memorials to the PMs which I hadn't seen before.

Not very royal oriented of course with the tombs of so many Kings and Queens. As always I was moved by seeing Queen Elizabeth the First with Queen Mary I under her and across the Abbey in a direct line is Mary Queen of Scots. Those three always make be a little tingly. Then of course there is St Edward - I always shiver when I walk past his tomb.

There was a lot of royal related stuff in the gift shop of course but I already have most of it so avoided spending any more there this time.

Rest of the day was simply shopping in Oxford Street.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Today's 'royal' related visit was to the Banqueting House in Whitehall. This is a wonderful place and they have it set up now so that you can actually lie down to see the ceiling in bean bags. A great way to spend an hour this afternoon while I listened to the commentary and look at Reuben's wonderful paintings, which sadly he never saw in place. Of course it was through one of the windows here that Charles I went to his execution and where many other kings received ambassadors etc.

Other than that visited Cabinet War Rooms, had a chat to a 'bobby' outside No 10, passed the Cenotaph and walked around Trafalgar Square.

Tonight I am going to The Audience so another 'royal' related event coming up.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Hope your having fun and that its not too hot in London during your visit!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

First of all - no the heat isn't an issue for an Aussie like me.

Not really royal related today - unless doing a brass rubbing of The Black Prince counts at St Martin's in the Field (where Queen Mary often worshipped).

Then walked down The Mall and past the palace which looked decidedly dirty and in need of something - no sparkle at all today. Then through Green Park which has no flowers thanks to Catherine of Braganza, I believe, who after she saw Charles II give a flower to one of his mistresses had all the flowers removed and they have never been restored although during WWII it was a vegetable garden.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Are you planning a trip to Greenwich? If so, I recommend getting one of the Thames river-buses (I think they go from Embankment or Southbank) it's a fast and fun way to see London from the river! Glad you're enjoying your trip!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have Greenwich in my plans - for next week along with Hampton Court, Kew Gardens and Windsor but due to arthritis in both knees and both hips the long days walking that I could do 10 years ago are a distant memory so only two or three places a day planned with plenty of rest.

I also have tickets to Wimbledon next week and the cricket the week after so four days just watching sport coming up as well.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Today's 'royal' events:

Queen's Gallery - the exhibition is on the development of the garden through history as shown through art works. Was able to see a lovely painting of Henry VIII with all three children and Jane Seymour (even though she died in childbirth Henry had her painted into this painting of him with his son and daughters. This painting was there because in the background are some of the earliest formal gardens in England - which is the reason for the exhibition. Another favourite was Queen Victoria with Albert and Vicky at Windsor as again in the background is the garden at the Castle. It was a lovely exhibition.

I then visited the Royal Mews and saw all the carriages etc. Simply love going there as there is the chance to see the gold state coach. If you want only one reason to visit London it is the chance to see this magnificent structure. It always looks magnificent and today was no exception.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Serene Highness

You are a knowledgeable and dedicated traveler...

We are all touring vicariously through you. Speaking of gardens, there is- or used to be- a London city bus from which you could overlook the gardens of BP. It was a tantalizing but brief glimpse, but you need to be sitting on the correct side of the bus. (But I bet you already knew this!)

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Today I cruised down to Greenwich and explored the area where Henry VIII and Elizabeth I were born, where William and Mary contributed to the building of the magnificent site and where many royals have had an impact.

The Chapel and the Painted Hall were especially magnificent. If you haven't been to this area put it on your 'bucket list' as these two buildings alone are worth the trip. William and Mary are well represented in the paintings here.

This gives some information about the Painted Hall: https://www.ornc.org/paintedhall

The chapel: https://www.ornc.org/chapel

The Queen's House was another wonderful place to visit: History of the Queen's House : Our history in Greenwich : About us : RMG

And then the long walk (for me this trip) to the Greenwich Meridian from where time is measured.

The cruise along the Thames was also very enjoyable so I could 'pretend' that I was Henry VIII or another of those monarchs who used the river as their means of transport between palaces - which is why so many of them are on the river of course.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sorry for the delay in the updates but ... I am enjoying myself too much:

Saturday - I visited the Tower with all its associated royal connections. Saw the Crown Jewels and they were magnificent as usual, especially all the crowns. Noticed that the Christening items were 'in use' as they were taken to Sandringham for Charlotte's christening.

One thing I didn't like was the fact that they have changed the way you approach St John's chapel in the White Tower as in the past you went up the staircase and basically entered the chapel in single file. As a result I found that most people fell silent simply because there was no one to talk to as they approached but now you enter from the other side and through a wider door before going down the staircase in single file meaning people milling around and talking waiting to go down - spoilt it a bit for me.

Sunday - St Paul's for church - not for visiting as they will come later this week or next week.

Monday - visited Windsor Castle on an organised tour. Great place with the place set up so beautifully but with only 2.5 hours to see the entire castle, St George's and have lunch just not enough time. If I get time I will return but again days booked and planned.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Today I wasn't sure if it really was going to have a 'royal' element but it did.

I had Centre Court seats at Wimbledon. I was sitting almost behind the royal box so didn't see a lot of the royals face on but did see pretty much the same view of the tennis as they had.

Saw - William and from the back his bald patch really is extensive, Kate and she looked good but very thin, far thinner than she does in pictures, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent who both looked fabulous, Sophie who blended in with everyone around her given the bland colour she was wearing and Prince Albert of Monaco (who is as bald as William from the back). He also has a lovely smile, which I was able to see when he turned around to talk to people behind him during a set break. The people around me recognised William and Kate but none of the others and they were all British.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thursday - went to the V and A this morning due to the tube strike as that is within walking distance of my hotel.

Afternoon made the mistake of going to KP. When I was last there it was possible to get a real sense of how the palace worked in the reign of William and Mary with a really good audioguide but now no audioguide and each room has a label which has enough information for a small child to absorb but nothing about the items in the rooms or the pictures etc. There is an 'explainer' in some rooms but usually they had four or five people around them each wanting to know about the stuff in the rooms - an audioguide would allow each person to find out the information on each item that interested them and learn about the space. One 'explainer' told me that they had had to fight to even get the basic labels they have now that say things like 'King's Audience Chamber. Here the king would receive ambassadors or other important people.' That is basically ALL the information available now - the idea is that you would somehow absorb what was supposed to happen there without any information to help you. The Victoria exhibition is so dark you can't see anything much if you don't have 20/20 vision. The few dresses for the 'fashion' exhibition was way fewer than they had of The Queen and Diana in 2002 when they also had the Queen's Wedding Dresses. All in all - last time I will be going there and certainly wouldn't recommend it.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

After leaving BP and seeing the Battle of Britain flypast and the royals on the balcony the rest of the day was devoted to Wellington and the Battle of Waterloo at both the Wellington Arch and then Apsley House with wonderful paintings of George IV and William IV as the royal connection.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:42 AM
Serene Highness

Billie Jean King

Lucky you to be at Wimbledon! I noticed that Billie Jean King was seated directly behind William and Catherine. Did you happen to notice her (wearing a greenish blazer and sunglasses)?

Abraham Lincoln

« \Russo | Update »