The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Now that is what I call taking a poll of the ordinary person doing ordinary things day to day.

I think we get a pretty good idea of what the "general public" thinks. Made for good reading and like others, I had to chuckle with the response that Philip was dead. I guess to a lot of people, the royals and the monarchy really isn't in their top 10 of things to think about.
Not surprising is it? There is so much going on with our world and our lives that they are truly down to the spare time category. Unless of course, one has a passion for all things royal? Less and less of those around as time goes by...

Old 07-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Well done and fascinating.

One question it raised for me is how did the queen seem to raise children completely without charisma? Or alternately, why do the people see only the queen is likable, charismatic and noticeable. And I use the term charisma becasue it bundles likeability with notability.
I was shocked at the strength of reaction to Andrew/Bea/Eugenie.
And it made me sad to know how many working royals are simply unknown. Lucky for the Palace that they will labor out of duty.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It sounds like you had a fun time here in England, IluvBertie! And it was great that you got to see a few royals as well, which is a bonus.

I have always wanted to visit Leeds Castle, I was going to visit in the winter but it was only open for a short amount of time, and I get up late. I am planning to visit this summer holiday, and am looking forward to it. Do you have any particular parts of the castle that you would recommend?
Canterbury is one of my favourite places in England and I have been there twice. I have visited the cathedral but it was a few years ago and I don't remember it in detail, though I do remember the stained glass windows being rather magnificent.

Your statistics on how well known members of the RF are in Britain and the general opinion of them are interesting, thanks for sharing them with us. The opinions are similar to the ones I've heard as well, though it was funny (that's probably not a good word to use but I couldn't think of any other word to describe it) to read that some people didn't know if Prince Philip was still alive. The only one that surprised me was Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, I hadn't realised they were so disliked amongst the public! Prince Andrew I can understand but I was surprised to read that about his daughters.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Courtier

It must be why the Queen still refuses to have them (her granddaughters) as working royals I think, despite Andrew's reported efforts to have them as full time royals.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think that is a mistake as if they were seen to be working royals and thus working at something, particularly Beatrice, they would gain some respect but as the press only reports their holidays and nothing good that they do they are vilified by the public.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:05 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Iluvbertie;1805871]I think that is a mistake as if they were seen to be working royals and thus working at something, particularly Beatrice, they would gain some respect but as the press only reports their holidays and nothing good that they do they are vilified by the public.[/QUOTE

I agree. They seem to be nice girls. Unfortunately the sins of the Father (and Mother) are visited upon the daughters. I think given the chance to step out and perform duties, they would shine. It's just a shame their parents reputation preceeds them.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Update folks:

I won't be updating for the next few days as I will be flying to the UK and Europe. I will hopefully be in The Mall on Saturday and at the Garter on Monday.

After that it is to Europe. I will update as and when I have wi-fi access as well as time ...
Old 06-11-2016, 10:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well I have had a lovely day in The Mall with crowds 10+ deep at times. Only realised when I was reading here that George and Charlotte were on the balcony - no one suggested that where I was.

The Queen certainly stood out but live that dress looked too bright to me - it overwhelmed her. Seeing the photos it looks better in them then it did live to me.

Crowd where I was - no Londoners, a couple from Leicester, 4 Americans, 2 Canadians, 3 Aussies, 1 Kiwi, a few Scots and the rest were Germans, Japanese and Chinese. Comment about the lack of English around us was made ...

Will try to update the engagements for the last two week later tonight London time. I need a good night's sleep after the 24+ hours in the air and Trooping since I last had a proper sleep
Old 06-13-2016, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

If you made it to the Garter, please describe what you were wearing so we can pore over the pictures looking for you. Thanks for writing about your travels.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-13-2016, 08:22 PM
Courtier

Happy travels, Iluvbertie, thanks for your report "on the ground".
Old 06-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Serene Highness

Good report Iluvbertie. I hope you had a great time in London.
Perhaps the English were busy at work. Or was it a general holiday? I know when I visited London many years ago, I never heard a London accent. All the people I dealt with were from elsewhere. Even at a Bank.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:04 PM
Serene Highness

What a great time to be in London visiting with all the celebrations happening.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sadly my computer has crashed and I am having to borrow one at the hotel so don't know when I will be updating.

Garter was disappointing as they were in cars and didn!t walk down but was still a lovely day with many people sitting in the rain/sun depending on which five minutes it was. Saw all the rpyals who attended as they drove down and back. Some of the knights, including John Major, walked back but none of the royals.

Would love to have shared my royal experiences in France, Germany, Russia and Greece with you but am not sure that will happen unless I can figure out what is wrong with my computer.

I also know that many people would start to ask questions if I didn't post for over a month so i am taking this opportunity to explain why not.

As soon as possible I will get the engagements up to date but that mightn!t be until late July as I need a computer not an IPAD which I am using at the moment becaise the hotel has one for guest use and for room service etc.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Updates can be done at anytime. Traveling on vacation has a limited time span so enjoy it and make the best of each moment.

Glad to hear that that where you were staying had a guest Ipad that you could borrow to get online. Definitely reinforces my belief that computers/devices aren't a luxury any more but a necessity.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hi folks - have been able to borrow a computer to check emails so asked if I could also use to update you on things.

Enjoying myself with a lot of similarly minded people having done one tour through the Channel Islands and Normandy (loved the Bayeux Tapestry) and now about to leave Paris.

Yesterday went to Versailles and while waiting to enter the group I am with and I discussed the Aussie election and the role of the BRF in Australia. I am the only one who thinks Charles should ever be King - all hoped that the Queen outlives him and that William succeeds. One comment came through loud and clear - the rest of the family aren't needed and should be retired forthwith to get real jobs and stop doing royal duties (from Harry on down in the line of succession).

There was a group of young Brits in front of us who joined the conversation - same thing - no Charles, ever but many of them were also very critical of William and his lack of work and most thought Kate was a poor choice as his wife. Interestingly of that group of around 20 or so all also admitted that they didn't approve of Brexit but ... when asked how many of them had voted ... a big fat zero. None of these young Brits who are objecting to the outcome of the vote had actually bothered to have their say - that has been a typical response from my experience of Brits in Paris - older ones voted and are happy with the result while the younger ones didn't bother and now want a second chance.

As for royals and their living quarters - as grand as Versailles is it isn't a home and that is what makes BP etc special to me. Versailles is just a big museum with no connection to modern real people while The Queen actually lives at BP and Windsor (in 2002 when I visited BP there were even the London phone books visible in one of the rooms. BP is a home not a museum).

Off to Russia over the weekend - but largely the revolution and wars so none of the palaces etc.

Forget to add the CC - is doing really well without my weekly updates - hasn't updated for a week. Last entry is the 29th June (that is correct - no update since last Wednesday at all).
Old 07-24-2016, 04:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Update folks - am home safely so will update things like places I visited that were royal related as well as the Engagements thread over the next few days but first have to get back to work (tomorrow) and pick up my dog whom I haven't seen for 7 weeks as well as the normal unpacking routines.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:15 PM
Nobility

Hope you enjoyed Russia. I was there in 1987, it will have changed a lot since then.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

I was there in 2002 and it has changed massively since then. All the big brand shops are there along with signs everywhere in English and souvenir shops everywhere, even inside the Kremlin.

GUMs looks like any other big shopping centre now (one of my fellow travellers said it reminded them of the Queen Victoria Building in Sydney).

Loved it of course and hope to return for a third time one day.

I am buying a new computer over the weekend so hopefully will have a full screen and keyboard soon which will mean I can update this thread and the engagements one either over the weekend or next week.

As August is the slowest month for engagements I will be able to have the time to catch everything up - and who knows they may even catch up the CC by then - and look there are some flying pigs
Old 07-28-2016, 08:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

The dog is fine - and he has finally forgiven me and now cuddles up with me at night on the lounge again after giving me the cold shoulder for three days.

The rest is coming along slowly - due to work commitments (I am at a private school and we have to be 'registered' this year. Our 'inspection' is in two weeks and I have a lot of paperwork to catch up due to six weeks away).

« \Russo | Update »