The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2015, 02:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think I can remember a lady like that but I didn't know who it was.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yesterday - Saturday - royal related event - the Magna Carta exhibition at the British Library. For anyone with a love of History, such as myself, seeing two of the currently existing known 1215 copies of the Magna Carta was a highlight of the tour.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Iluvbertie, is the British Museum on your itinerary? I love it. If so, what exhibits do you plan to see?
Old 07-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

British Museum is on my itinerary and hopefully I will get to see the Achaemenid Persian stuff - every time I have been in the past it has been closed.

Today the only royal place I visited was Hampton Court and that was, as always, magnificent. Loved the Henry VIII stuff but enjoyed the William and Mary rooms even more, especially after the way they are done at KP - or should I say not done. Hampton Court has it right - allowing you to understand the rooms, the artworks in the rooms, the views from the rooms and their context - lovely day.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sounds good.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:16 AM
Courtier

Interesting updates, thank you. Hope you have a safe and fun stay in London!

Will you be visiting Diana?
Old 07-13-2015, 02:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Saw some of Diana's dresses at KP and that will be the limit of doing things simply because of Diana. If she is connected to other places e.g. St Paul's then I will come across her but she isn't a figure I would go out of my way to see anything connected to her.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Monday I made it to the British Museum and finally saw the Oxus Treasure and the Cyrus Cylinder - so really happy.

Tuesday was St Paul's day which of course was where Charles and Diana were married.

Wednesday I went to afternoon tea at Claridges' and saw a picture of a young Queen on one of her visits there - that is the royal connection.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday I will be at the cricket cheering on the Aussies as they try to defeat the Poms. Today Philip was supposed to be present but I didn't see him. Normally the Queen and Philip visit the Lords Test but this year there is no mention of the Queen attending and Philip only attending for today so maybe no formal presentation of the teams etc on the field as has happened in the past - which is something I was hoping to see.

Nothing therefore royal related due until Sunday.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:46 AM
Courtier

Thanks Iluvbertie
Old 07-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Realised after I left the hotel that Philip was due at the cricket today - and he was there.

His banner proudly flew above the English tower (there are two tower things at each end of the members pavilion at Lords and the home dressing room flies the flag of St George for England - not Britain in cricket - while the away dressing room flies the flag of the opposition so at the moment, Australia) for about 90 minutes. He arrived about 30 minutes into the morning session and left about 10 minutes before lunch.

He sat in the pavilion with senior members of the MCC wearing his egg and bacon tie - Former president of the MCC, Prince Philip , Duke of Edinburgh... News Photo | Getty Images - the guy behind Philip is wearing the tie as was Philip but it doesn't show up in this picture.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:03 AM
Courtier

Well, you certainly have had "eyeball" opportunities. More than most I should think. Any close encounters possible?
Old 07-22-2015, 03:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Final update:

Sunday - had a very slow day - nothing royal related although I did go to church and we prayed for them.

Monday - Bath and Salisbury so saw a third Magna Carta from 1215

Tuesday - lovely day in the Cotswolds

Wednesday - planned a visit to Canterbury, Leeds Castle and Dover. Only Leeds Castle worked out as the road to Dover was closed so we had to give that up as a lost cause. The coach driver was frustrated. This is to do with the trouble at Calais. Then to Canterbury - no chance to go into the Cathedral as they were investing the first senior female bishop into the CoE so all I got to see was the processional entrance of the bishops etc including seeing the Archbishop of Canterbury - close enough to royalty for me as he marries, christens, buries and maybe even gets to crown them. To the Brits out there - make a point of getting to Canterbury before they put the 'Ancestors' stained glass back in the cathedral as they are magnificent examples of very early stained glass - they are the ancestors of Christ and were started as a series in the 1100s but needed repairing so were taken down and are now on display until being fully restored next year so make a point of seeing them.

Tomorrow I head home and will do the engagements updates when I get there on Saturday or Sunday my time. It is just too difficult with this little computer.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:58 PM
Serene Highness

Billie Jean King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think I can remember a lady like that but I didn't know who it was.
Neither did the Daily Mail!

King won 39 Grand Slam events, including 6 singles at Wimbledon, back in the 60's and 70's. She was largely responsible for getting better pay for women's events, and was a civil rights activist. Additionally, she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She's a feminist icon and a hero to many of us.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-22-2015, 04:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

I knew who Billie Jean was. I didn't recognise her when at Wimbledon but do remember seeing a lady who looked like the person identified as BJK.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I knew who Billie Jean was. I didn't recognise her when at Wimbledon but do remember seeing a lady who looked like the person identified as BJK.
Sorry- thought she might not be as famous as I thought she was. I looked at her picture several times before I realized it was Billie Jean. In my mental image she's still 25 and wearing tennis whites. Enjoy your flight home (if that's possible).

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-24-2015, 08:09 PM
Courtier

Thank you Iluvbertie for your updates. It is most kind of you to share.

Very interesting I must say. Would have been awesome if you could post images to accompany your updates.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I also echo AfricanAussie's sentiments and have really enjoyed be able to follow your adventures from my armchair. I may never have the opportunity to take such a trip but your sharing your adventures with us is the next best thing.

Thank you and enjoy being home in your own bed again. I think that's the one thing people most look forward to after a grand vacations.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-25-2015, 09:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

A few notes:

1. Saw in person the following royals - not close encounters but still seen:
a. The Queen – 1
b. Philip – 2
c. William – 2
d. Kate – 1
e. Andrew – 1
f. Edward – 1
g. Sophie – 2
h. Richard – 1
i. Edward – 1 (was officially at Wimbledon the day I was there but I didn’t see him even though there were a number of times when the royal box was emptied to do rain and change of matches)
j. Michael – 2
k. Marie-Christine – 1
l. Alexandra – 1
m. Albert of Monaco - 1

2. Counted the following royals on postcards:

a. The Queen – 1 with Philip and 6 different solo pictures
b. Philip – 1 with the Queen and none solo
c. Charles – 1 solo
d. William and Kate – 8 different together pictures as well as 3 with George and 2 with Charlotte, 1 in a trio with Harry
e. Harry – 1 in a trio with William and Kate
f. Andrew – 1
g. Beatrice – 1 in a pair with Eugenie from when they were teenagers
h. Eugenie – 1 in a pair with Beatrice from when they were teenagers
i. Edward – 1 with Sophie and Louise as they left hospital when Louise was born
j. Sophie – 1 with Edward and Louise as they left hospital when Louise was born

Bolded ones were only seen at the shop at the Royal Mews and nowhere else, not even at Windsor Castle. Saw none anywhere of Camilla, Anne or the other royal family members either in a group or solo. Found it interesting that the Royal Mews shop hadn’t updated their pictures of Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Edward, Sophie etc since at least 2005 when I bought those ones then.

Saw lots of The Queen – every shop had at least one of her and at least three or four of William and Kate. The rest of the royals weren't seen on postcards – bought largely by foreigners of course. One shop told me that they well about 2000 William and Kate during the busy season each week, about 500 of The Queen and 50 of Diana. They don’t get asked about any other members of the family and don’t see any need to stock anyone else besides The Queen, William and Kate and Diana. Diana is stocked for the Americans as no one else really bothers with her now but Americans always buy her.

3. Asked a number of English people felt about the royals and this is a general summary:

a. The Queen is generally loved and admired
b. Philip is respected although a number of people asked me if he was still alive as they though he had died during 2012
c. Charles is respected but not loved - will be an ok king was the consensus
d. Camilla is largely respected but again not loved - good for Charles
e. William and Kate – about 50/50 between liking and being disappointed in them – some said they have gone from having hopes for William as the future of the monarchy but suspect that he really will walk away from it as he is regarding the idea of working for the people and the nation as a royal as too much of a chore while others think he will be fine when the time comes – there was even more wide views of Kate with some thinking she is doing fine while others think she will end the monarchy – one person fears she isn’t coping as a royal and will end up more like Masako in Japan than any other married-in royal as she seems overwhelmed when in public
f. Harry – a joker – not in a good way – a bit of a lad who will go his own way and probably will leave the UK permanently, interestingly very few though he would settle down and marry – ‘all the decent girls have too much sense than to marry someone like him’ was one comment I heard in one way or another many times and one father said that if his daughter came home and said she wanted to marry Harry he would lock her in her room until she came to her senses – she laughed and said she could do a lot better for herself than someone like Harry whom she claimed she had seen at a number of parties and clubs – didn’t say she had meet him but had seen him.
g. Andrew – despised and loathed – seen as the real drag on the family and the sooner he is stripped of any public role the better as far as everyone I spoke to said
h. Beatrice and Eugenie – also despised – too much like their father to earn any respect and Beatrice’s continual holidays as reported in the press this year haven’t helped – should be stripped of HRH and denied any royal perks
i. Edward and Sophie – ‘who’ – largely unknown
j. Anne – respected for her work ethic but not actually liked
k. Duke and Duchess of Gloucester – ‘who’
l. Duke of Kent – ‘he presents the trophy at Wimbledon doesn’t he?’ if they had any idea of who he was to begin with
m. Michael and Alexandra – again ‘who’.

From those discussions I get the feeling that the senior royals are respected while the younger ones have a way to go.

Please note - I didn't ask people directly but they did come up in conversations depending on where I was, what I was doing or buying etc. I probably spoke to around 200 people all up on the royals and not every royal was mentioned every time I had a conversation.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:49 AM
Courtier

Boy, did I get a good laugh!

Thank you so much for your research, it was very enjoyable to read. I particularly found the comment on Phillip's death amusing, poor guy.

Very interesting indeed.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:33 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Now that is what I call taking a poll of the ordinary person doing ordinary things day to day.

I think we get a pretty good idea of what the "general public" thinks. Made for good reading and like others, I had to chuckle with the response that Philip was dead. I guess to a lot of people, the royals and the monarchy really isn't in their top 10 of things to think about.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon

« \Russo | Update »