Hello for Acadiana USA

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City
Lafayette
Country
United States
Hi. My name is shelly. I am an American. My paternal grandfather was Swedish origin ( surname Bankston- which originated from Bengston); grandmother was "Cajun". My paternal grandmothers mother was more Cherokee Indian than anything else; paternal grandmother was French, German, mostly. My maternal grandfather was of welsch origin. My maternal grandmother of Sephardic Jewish origin.

My understanding is that my fathers farher was a descendant of a man who came to the USA on the Kalmar Nyikel boat to Delaware during the 30 years war.
My maternal grandfathers name was "williams", descandant from Wales, but orphaned in Colorado in the Gold mines in the early 1900's.

I am currently a medical student, unmarried, and seeking "divine providence".

Congratulations on your first post and welcome. :flowers:

That is more than likely. A Swedish fort/fortified trading colony was established in Delaware in 1638. Twenty years into the 30 Year War.
The place was taken over by the Dutch in 1655, followed by the English in 1664.

By 1681 the colony had expanded and formed an autonomous area called Three Lower Counties. Simply because the Swedish, Finn and Dutch settlers were different religiously and culturally from the surrounding Quaker colonies.

Info from The Forts of Colonial North America by Rene Chartrand, page 41.

Hi, Shelly, and welcome to the forums. Good luck with any research you do regarding your family, and I hope you enjoy your time here. Great user ID, BTW!

Hi, and :welcome: Enjoy your stay.

Back
Top Bottom