Greetings. What I remember about the Queen Mum.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IanElliott

City
Drøbak
Country
Norway
In Bartlett's Book of Anecdotes I read that the Queen Mother confounded a Kenyan (I think) general who complained to her about English interference in Kenya's internal affairs. "We feel that way in Edinburgh," she replied. This baffled him no end.

I am happy to join. I am in touch with the Royalist Party also. I believe in constitutional monarchy.

Sincerely,
Ian Elliott

^^^^
I think that story comes from her visit to South Africa when she met a Boer and her response was along the lines of "we Scots feel the same way".

No doubt you are right, and Bartlett got it wrong. But of course it had the same effect either way.

:welcome: Enjoy the site, and thank you for sharing the story.

Thanks for the Welcome. Benefits of Monarchy.

Thanks for your courteous welcome. Though an American, I am a lifelong fan of the Queen and, living in retirement in Norway, can observe the indirect but profoundly stabilizing effect a monarchy can have on a modern country like Norway. Norwegians may have their party differences, but they all feel loyal to the concept of being Norwegians, and that is, or should be, an effect of monarchy. Monarchs stand ready, I think, to do more by filling an advisory role in government, and parliaments might consider expanding their role in this way to a degree.

Back
Top Bottom