The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
In what language does Clara translate as Chantal?
It doesn't. It translates to Cla(i)re. She seems to have adopted Chantal when she re-invented herself.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Courtier

I don't think the sun is Pia's problem. She's just not aging well. And the scary, unmoisturized hair isn't helping things. She needs a good makeover, complete with something to even out her complexion and hide those bags under her eyes. She also needs less hair. Shaggy, unconditioned hair is not attractive. She might look better with a bob.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallis
Were you also the one who said that it's a shame she doesn't talk about her life because it would sound like something out of a Henry James novel?
I've made similiar comments about Mrs. Miller, yes. As a writer, I'm drawn to fascinating extraordinary people and I think Mrs. Miller falls into that category. And while there is probably a great deal of "who's richer than who" out there, my feelings about Mrs. Miller stem more from family insecurity than from financial insecurity. She has the money and everything great wealth allows. But no amount of money can change your history and buy you an impressive family history or "presentable" relations or a past to be proud of. Not that being poor and S. American is anything to be ashamed of. But Mrs. Miller strikes me as someone who wants to impress and she can do that in every conceivable way EXCEPT with her own family and background. That's why we never ever hear anything about her "roots" or her family members or anything. It's almost as though she never existed before her husband struck it rich and she began living the charmed life she does now.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Aristocracy

I just got a hold of the British Vogue June edition.In it it says:"her younger sister Alexandra wed Prince Alex von Furstenberg,son of the designer Diane,and her sister Pia married Christopher Getty,grandson of J.Paul Getty-neither lasted..."

MC also talks about her parents,her father,"a Boston- born Cornell graduate"..."took pains not to spoil them."For example,when we lived in Paris he made us take the Metro to school...he's a meritocrat,remember,not an aristocrat.'Friends who know Robert Miller,72-'A great big bear of a man and hugely smart'...say that MC is very much her father's daughter...A dauntingly accomplished yachtsman,her father holds the world record in transatlantic monohull crossing.But it is clearly from her Ecuadorian mother Chantal...that she inherited her creative flair,her sense of style and,perhaps,her uncannily regal poise."MC says of her mother,"Oh,c'mon..what do you expect with a South American mother?Grooming,grooming,grooming-that's what it was all about when we were growing up."

The article also mentions that Pia is 39,not 35.Pia is looking older...maybe it's the stress from her broken marriage;having your husband constantly cheat on you isn't the most stree-free situation to be in;but at least Pia doesn't have any economical worries.I'm a bit older than Pia and I have to disagree with a post;she does have sun damage which is ageing (really dry looking skin is a culprit).I used sunblock,hat and sunglasses since my teens and I am not as wrinkled as she.She could also gain a few pounds to plump up her skin;being too skinny when you reach age is also an ager.
Alexandra could also gain a few pounds;she is looking haggard... what kind of stress as she been under?The von Furstenbergs were very quiet about their marriage troubles.Pia,at least let her friends know her husband was unfaithful(the Getty men have that problem).

Here's some of the pictures from the article(sorry about the quality)
Old 07-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela - Natalia
I may be wrong but I wondered if there was a snobbery about people from hispanic backgrounds in NY high society, if not now but a few years ago. I've heard things like 'oh we speak Spanish with the maid' followed by a snorting laugh. She came from an ordinary background and whenever women get together there is bitchyness and they compare notes, on money, on background etc. Perhaps she doesn't care about that or can't be bothered with it, I wouldn't. They lived in Asia for years and travelled a lot so maybe they have friends elsewhere. I just wondered when Pia's birthday was becasue she is the only one they never mentioned. Not fair!
It's the twenty-first century and there are still people who have the need to build themselves up by putting others down.This attitude is very sad and very stupid.An Hispanic background does not exclude good breeding,excellent education,great personal style,exceptionally good manners...did these NY high-society types attend schools of international reputation where they could mingle with people from all over the world?Would they look down upon Carolina Herrera?Chantal Miller seems to know what she wants,how she wants to live;she has developed her personal style and is known for her impeccable taste.Her friends dubbed her "The Last Incan Princess" because of her style and taste.I hope she is just press-shy and was not excluded because of her background.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Courtier

Carolina Herrera comes from a wealthy background, while Chantal Miller comes from the shadows. The fact that she's not open about her roots makes ppl suspicious and likely to believe that she comes from an humble background. I don't know that Chantal has any real friends. She was dubbed the Last Incan Princess because she dressed like one for a party. I don't think her style had anything to do with it.

The fact that she almost certainly comes from nothing, married well, and shunted her family to the background makes her different, and probably leads to snarky comments. She's clearly ashamed of her roots. The fact that she has tried to erase part of her life probably makes her an outsider.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Gentry

im from ecuador chantal miller's conutry.. she is not famous here at all and she cames fromona of the poorest towns in my conutry that is located near Guayaquil, the economical capital of my contry in the ecuadorian coast, the incas never conquered the coast of my conutry, the huancavilcas and valdiveans were the ones that ruled the coast before the spanish colonization.. she is not the last incan princess at all...
Old 07-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Aristocracy

I only wanted to express my aversion to the use of the Greek Royal Family forum for discussing about the Duty Free Royal Family
Old 07-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iannis
I only wanted to express my aversion to the use of the Greek Royal Family forum for discussing about the Duty Free Royal Family
Why? Marie-Chantal married Pavlos more than 10 years ago. That makes her part of the Greek royal family by marriage. The Millers are in-laws to Constantine and Anne-Marie the way the Morales family is. Robert and Chantal Miller attend many royal occasions, whether they are directly connected to their daughter and son-in-law or grandchildren such as their baptisms or not, such as Alexia's wedding to Carlos Morales.

This thread is also clearly marked as being about Marie-Chantal's family. It's not as if it's a thread on the Greek Royal Family and there are pages filled with discussion about the Millers.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby1985
she is not famous here at all and she cames fromona of the poorest towns in my conutry
I have heard the exact same thing, gaby1985, but was reluctant to speculate too much on Mrs. Miller's past. I've also heard that she referred to herself as The Last Incan Princess after she was dubbed that by a member of the press after a lavish party she hosted in which she dressed the part. She can't be serious in believing anyone (esp. REAL princes and princesses who have proven royal lineage) would really buy into that farce, can she? It's sad, really, that this woman has to resort to such secrecy about who she is and where she comes from. And what does that say to her daughters, who are part S. American and a part of Mrs. Miller's past. Esp. Alexandra, who has the distinct physical features of her mother and her mother's heritage. Shame on her for bowing down to stupid social stigmas. I'd be out there parading about with my past, starting up charities for Ecuadorian orphans/sick/abandoned. Look at the work Bianca Jagger did in her native country. As for friends, I've never seen Mrs. Miller even photographed with anyone outside of her family or in-laws. And never, in any social column or interview with any socialite, American/British/Likewise, has anyone stepped up to claim Mrs. Miller as a friend. I think this woman lives a lonely life through her children. What a shame.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Aristocracy

Well, it is a thread under the GRF forum, isn't it? I didn't say it's bad writing about MC; whether I like it or not she is the CP of Greece the last 11 years. I only hope the Duty Free Royal Family is not considered as a part of the GRF
Old 07-04-2006, 02:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Well, it is a thread under the GRF forum, isn't it? I didn't say it's bad writing about MC; whether I like it or not she is the CP of Greece the last 11 years. I only hope the Duty Free Royal Family is not considered as a part of the GRF
Iannis, I take it from your posts that you are of the view that the Millers are a bunch of upstarts, parvenu's, as they say. That's your opinion, but the fact remains that Robert and Chantal Miller are the official in-laws of the eldest son of the last king of Greece, Constantine. Therefore they're family of the Glucksburgs, whether that suits your opinion or not.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Serene Highness

Iannis, I know what you're saying. There is a bit of Greek blood flowing through my veins and I'm protective of my Greek heritage. Heck, I barely consider Constantine's family Greek as they have NO Greek blood ~ aren't they Danish or something? And trust me, I don't view the Millers as royal or anywhere NEAR royal ("upstarts" pretty much describes them, IMO. I believe in the past they'd have been referred to as "social climbers", though you have to respect Robt. Miller, being a self-made man). HOWEVER, I do have to agree w Princess Olga that they are connected to the GRF through marriage and are the grandparents of what could have been the next King of Greece, so I believe they do qualify for a thread in this forum.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I only hope the Duty Free Royal Family is not considered as a part of the GRF
As Alexandria noted, this thread is about Marie Chantal's family. I don't think anyone considers them a part of the Greek Royal Family (although, they are now forever linked through 4 very lovely children).

It's interesting how, after being the toast of New York in their 20s, the Miller beauties are now taking London by storm. Maybe there are more single princes in London?!

Eliza
Old 07-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Other in-laws of royals also have specific threads assigned to them, such as threads that exist for the families of Mathilde in the Belgium forum, Letizia's family in the Spanish forum, Mary's family in the Danish forum, and even the antics of Mette-Marit's father in the Norwegian forum, so there is not difference if Marie-Chantal's family also has a thread of their own.

In comparison to some of the other framilies, Marie-Chantal's family is actually known in their own right and had she not married the Crown Prince of Greece, she and her family would still be covered by the media. By contrast, one can't say the same for Mette-Marit's father, who has garned media attention only because he is the Crown Princess' father.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Commoner

As I said before she comes from Ecuador, I am from Chile, so I have no problem with that but what I don´t and can´t understand is why her daughter M.Chantal, does not speaks spanish, I heard her saying only some words in the spanish tv program " Corazón-Corazón ", that is because her mother never ever speak in spanish to her. That is very common in hispanics that lives in USA, they don´t speak spanish to their kids in a way that they become more American ( USA).
Pavlos speaks a fluent spanish with spanish accent (Spain).
Old 07-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Courtier

A lot of Hispanics in America do speak Spanish to their children. In Texas, it's perfectly common for the children to arrive in kindergarten with almost no English at all. There are those parents who try to mix speaking in Spanish and English, because they understand that their children need to be fluent in English to get anywhere in this country, but it has nothing to do with being more American, it simply reflects on the fact that outside the southwestern US and New York, Spanish-speakers as a group are not as predominant a force. According to some of my friends, who are elementary school teachers, some of the children actually go home and teach their parents English.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
some of the children actually go home and teach their parents English.
I was just having this discussion with someone. A friend of mine is from Portugal and learned English while in school here. Her parents still speak very little English, esp. her mother. They live in a Portuguese community so it's not a daily problem, however, when they need to leave the community, my friend is usually called upon to translate. She's been trying to teach her parents more than just basic English for years. Do we know for sure that none of the Miller sisters speak Spanish? I'd find that odd as they (at least MC) is fluent in French. If they weren't taught Spanish by their mother as children, I'd assume it was because of her alledged need to "rise above" her past. Too bad.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Commoner

" If they weren't taught Spanish by their mother as children, I'd assume it was because of her alledged need to "rise above" her past. Too bad."

That is the point, her mother did not speak spanish with her kids.
No matter where I can live, with my kids I am always going to speak spanish with them.
I saw M.Chantal at the tv ( she does not speaks spanish )and it is odd that Mrs.Miller speaks spanish with one daughter and not to the other, so if Alexandra or Pia speaks spanish they learned in another place.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Aristocracy

I think Chantal doesn't speak about her family because there isn't much family to speak of. Also, she is not famous (unlike Carolina Herrera) there isn't much press interest in her or her family.

I live in New York not too far from where the Millers lived and can tell you that while the daughters love the limelight - not so much in the case of Pia - Bob and Chantal Miller are extremely press-shy, private people who neither hit the town nor entertain very often. When they do entertain it's a huge event but those parties are few and far between.

Also, even if Chantal spoke Spanish to her daughters there is a question of how much practice they would have gotten speaking it. They were children in Hong Kong so there's not a sizable population that speaks Spanish. At very young ages they attended Le Rosey in Switzerland where French was required of all students - they sisters also learned Italian there. They weren't living at home with their mother so she couldn't teach them her native language.