The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Commoner

I'm not sure, Lily. Alexia speaks Spanish very well.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Courtier

Yes, I know. I meant to say I think Alexia speaks only a little danish ( I am not sure). All the other siblings don't as far as I know. So I mean, at least they speak spanish ( even if Pavlos' is not that good) and communicate with their cousins on this side of the family.
I know that not everybody is good in learning languages, but I think it is a little sad that their parents didn't teach their children enough greek ( their father's native language, especially the younger children are not supposed to speak it very well) and danish ( their mother's native language).

Old 02-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Courtier

Well I find it quite complicated: I have some friends: She´s German, he´s from Sweden and they live in the U.S. together with their three children. None of the children speaks German oder Swedish.
I think it was o.k. with the Greek King and Queen to speak predominantely English with their children since they lived most of the time in London and the children had to go to school there.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps one day the children (now adults) will want to connect more with their Danish roots and will take up the language. I can understand the parents not pushing them to speak the other languages. When my father's parents moved to the US from Italy, they encouraged their children to concentrate on English. As a result of this, they never mastered Italian. I don't agree with this point of view, but I understand why they did it. They were concerned with the academic performance of their children. Perhaps this is why the king and queen did this with their children.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Aristocracy

This is their house, I think that ít´s the back
Old 02-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado View Post
At least they speak spanish...I think they don't speak danish at all, except Alexia who speaks it a little bit?
Constantine never mastered Danish, so it's not surprising his children didn't either. I would believe the emphasis in their childhoods was for them to focus on Greek, and all of their children speak it (though apparently Alexia is the only child teaching her children Greek) with varying levels of fluency. Danish is not the hardest language to understand, meaning some of it comes to you if you can read German, but they have never spent massive amounts of time in Denmark, and the Danes all speak German, French and English, so there are another three languages to communicate in.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Aristocracy

I haven't heard any of the other children speak but I have heard Pavlos speak Greek and he speaks it very well......like he was raised in Greece. I believe Anna-Maria is not all that fluent in greek either (but don't quote me on this)
Old 02-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duquesita View Post
Well, I have to say he speaks with a very strong accent and I don't think he is so fluent in Spanish... Matter of fact I expected him to speak much better Spanish, being, as he is, so close to Prince Felipe. Perhaps he's like his aunt, Queen Sofía, who doesn't speak Spanish very well, either.
Queen Sofia's Spanish is not good? I'd expect her to speak it perfectly after living there for more than 40 years!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pic 6.2.2008

Here's a nice new pic from yesterday:

Prince Pavlos of Greece and Marie Chantal Conservative
Party Black and White Ball, London, Britain - 06 Feb 2008

-----> Pic
Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iannis View Post
Queen Sofia's Spanish is not good? I'd expect her to speak it perfectly after living there for more than 40 years!
She has a very strong accent and she doesn't pronounce some sounds. It is widely known in the country, and she usually doesn't speak in public.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

-----> Pic
Thanks, Ice. It's hard to tell if she's showing or not yet in this particular photo. They look happy, though.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Heir Apparent

She looks lovely, and he is always handsome. I am not fond of that fur thing that is attached to her coat. It looks like a drowned animal.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Nobility

Sorry I already asked for it, but could someone maybe scan the pics of the Greek last Life and Style, and/or tell what is said in the article ? Or maybe say how I can find the magazine in France ?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

-----> Pic
Thanks for the pic!
They look very happy and I can see a definite pregnancy glow.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Nobility

While desperately looking for the swedish TV program, I came accross this gallery of pics I had not seen before (at least this size and without watermarks). Most of them are from AMs 60st Bday in Greece in august 2006
Billedgalleri: Pavlos og Marie-Chantal ... Billed-Bladet: Danmarks Royale Ugeblad...
I loved MC's dress and shoes (no black !).
I thought I'd share in case someone else had not seen them.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Commoner

I don't agree!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
MO does resemble her maternal grandmother. Her mouth and eyes are very similar. Poor thing! She has been looking awkward in photos from the past year. I wonder if she will change as she ages, or if she will continue to resemble her maternal grandmother. Either way, that poor child needs to have some dental work. She needs braces. I know that it is very wrong to criticize a child's appearance, and I'm sorry.

When I look at photos of myself at age 11, I cringe. I definitely went through an awkward stage (and I'm not sure that I ever grew out of it).
Olimpia is adorable girl, You try to cover you discriminatory distaste with sugar and spice, but this family is very natural They leave things the way they are and there is nothing wrong with the little girl having Latino traits, contrary to popular belief that does not make one so unideal that that we should pity and go "poor thing" It is in poor taste in any situation no matter who, to criticize children.miaamor
Old 02-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Miaamor, I am very sorry if you perceived my comment to be discriminatory. I did not mean to sound that way at all (I am part Mexican, by the way, and proud of it). What I meant was that her mouth and teeth resemble her grandmother (which has nothing to do with being Latina-I meant that they stick out, and braces are a simple remedy). Her family is not entirely natural, by the way. MC's mother changed her name from the very beatiful Maria-Clara to Chantal. I apologize for having offended you, and really did not mean anything ethnocentric by my comments.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Commoner

Braces and MO

Many orthodontists (at least in the US) feel that it is better to wait until the child is older before putting the braces on to ensure a better result. Mine waited until I was 14 before putting them on my teeth and I had braces all through high school. I would have preferred to have braces earlier than high school, but it was the doctor's considered opinion that I was too young. Now (decades later!) every single dentist who examines my teeth says the orthodontist's work was very impressive.

We really have no idea as to the discussions MC and Pavlos have as parents with their pediatricians/pediatric dentists, and with each other, about their children's medical/dental care, but I'm sure they seek the very best care for all their children.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness

Sita780 ~ Thanks so much for the link!!! Those were great photos I have never seen. I esp. like the ones at AM birthday. I agree, the pumpkin colored dress was very flattering.

As for MO's teeth, she def. needs braces which I agree she'll prolly get when she's a bit older. She very strongly resembles her maternal grandmama and her Aunt Alex - who also has very strong S. American features. I've always found the Miller sisters S. Am heritage interesting and wish they'd address it more often.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Courtier

I don't really blame Marie-Chantal and her sisters for not addressing their latin american background more often. Their mother apparantly didn't really teach her children much about her culture. She didn't teach them spanish, etc., and even changed her name.
So while I agree, it is a shame, I don't think it is really Marie-Chantal's fault.

Tags
marie-chantal, pavlos