Pavlos and Marie-Chantal current events 5: March 2007-January 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She is neither stylish nor beautiful. She just has an arrogant look which is not matched by substance. By the way, in Greece, unilike King Constantine's chidlren that are well liked, she is the target of constant ridicule by the Greek Media, and the satirical columnist Pandora of the prestigious Athenian daily TO VIMA, calls her Maria-Kanella, kanella being the Greek word for cinnamon and the first name of many a homely woman in the Greek countryside.

Really?They make fun of her?I thought that the greek public is not interested even to make fun of her!!

I don't read newspapers does Pandora write for her a lot or from time to time?

Really?They make fun of her?I thought that the greek public is not interested even to make fun of her!!

Only once in a blue moon and only in the context of some relevant event eg when she opened her store in Kolonaki. Otherwise, you are correct. They come and go and no one is aware of that, and there is no interest in them.
Anyway, Pandora is portraying her as being a parvenue and basse classe.

IMO those comments say more about the writers and the newspapers than the Crown Princess. They have no idea who this woman really is and to lead with negativity reflects poorly on them. Again just my opinion.

IMO those comments say more about the writers and the newspapers than the Crown Princess. They have no idea who this woman really is and to lead with negativity reflects poorly on them. Again just my opinion.

With all due respect. Το Βημα, [To Vima] is an internationally acclaimed, highly prestigious newspaper, as important in Greece as The New York Times in the USA and the The Times in the UK. You are entitled to your opinion as they are entitled to theirs.
The Greek newspapers have never made negative comments about the former king's children except for her. Thus, it is unlikely that there is a vindictive motive there but they may be wrong in their judgement.

Also, please be respectfully advised that Mrs. Miller has not been elevated to the status of princess, let alone crown princess, by former King Constantine, who can, however, do so by letters patent or a formal communique' explaining his wish. In the Greek monarchy's tradition, unequal marriages (that is, marriages with commoners) were not approved by the Crown and/or the government.
When King Alexander I married Miss Aspasia Manos, she became Mrs. Aspasia Manos and it wasn't until after King Alexander's death that his father, King Constantine I, upon his return to the Throne and at the insistence of Queen Sofia, elevated her by royal decree to HRH Princess Aspasia.
A similar situation arose when prince Christopher married American heiress Nancy Leeds. The prince resigned his rights to the Throne prior to marrying her. Later on, however, Mrs. Leeds was styled by the King as Princess Anastasia of Greece.

Last edited:
Anyway, Pandora is portraying her as being a parvenue and basse classe.
I think what dbarn67 is getting at is that it is odd in this day and age to criticise the spouse of a royal solely on the grounds of their family background. If the "parvenue" comment had appeared in Tatler or some other snooty society magazine we could understand where it was coming from, but otherwise it's a rather outmoded and unoriginal way of belittling someone. If Pandora had claimed that Marie Chantal was a bad person, or a negligent mother, or something of substance, the criticism would carry more weight rather than resorting to Olde World snobbery.

I am really surprised to read that so many people don't like Marie Chantal.
In my opinion, she is one of the nicest Crown Princesses.
I don't think she is arrogant.
She looks nice, always elegant, and seems to "behave herself".
As far as I know, she studied in the best schools in the world and speaks many languages.
She is not a parvenue or a low class, she is only a not born aristocrat.
Also her sister Alexandra married a prince (now divorced), Alexander von Furstenberg, that is from a very inportant European noble family.
Other crown princesses instead, come from low class families, are never elegant and had and probably still have bad manners.
Nonetheless people love them!!
Probably when someone wants to attack Greek Monarchy, find it easier to attack Marie Chantal.
That is my opinion, anyways.

Last edited:
Also, please be respectfully advised that Mrs. Miller has not been elevated to the status of princess, let alone crown princess, by former King Constantine, who can, however, do so by letters patent or a formal communique' explaining his wish. In the Greek monarchy's tradition, unequal marriages (that is, marriages with commoners) were not approved by the Crown and/or the government.

The GRF website lists MC as Crown Princess. Whether this has any legal standing in Greece or elsewhere (what does it say on her passport?) I don't know. But it certainly looks like the former-king recognizes/calls her Crown Princess (rather than Mrs.).

I think what dbarn67 is getting at is that it is odd in this day and age to criticise the spouse of a royal solely on the grounds of their family background. If the "parvenue" comment had appeared in Tatler or some other snooty society magazine we could understand where it was coming from, but otherwise it's a rather outmoded and unoriginal way of belittling someone. If Pandora had claimed that Marie Chantal was a bad person, or a negligent mother, or something of substance, the criticism would carry more weight rather than resorting to Olde World snobbery.

Your point is well taken and to an extent I would agree with you. Having said that, the Hellenes must be viewed, and every nation as well, in the context of their overall heritage and perspective, which consists of many components of which I shall quote the ones pertinent to this discussion:
1. History. What is 100 years of history for many nations, is one hour's or one minute's history for Greece. Because of that, the Hellenes, even the few remaining uneducated ones, are attached to, and can identify with, history as well as what goes with it, the mythical, the mystical and the sublime.
2. Monarchy-Kingdom-Empire. The Hellenes achieved the zenith of their intellectual capacity during the Pericleian Democracy. However, one should not underestimate the role of the monarchy as in the Argeian and Minoan kingdoms, or of the imperium as promulgated by Alexander of Macedon or, much later, by the Byzantines. Indeed, the Hellenes were able to also identify with kings and emperors as long as the latter were part of history and the Hellenic heritage and as long as they could uplift and exalt the populus from the mundane and the pedestrian. Even in the recent past, in modern Greece that is, the Hellenes were capable of identifying with what in their minds represented the "mythical" and the "sublime". For instance, the Hellenes loved Olga Konstantinovna, and hated Sofia of Prussia and Frederika of Hanover but, in the end, respected all three because of their provenance and the history they carried in their bagage.
3. Intellectual excellence. The Hellenes have always excelled in entrepreneurship. However, whereas the average citizen of the western world is awed and inspired by such names as Onasis, Niarchos and Latsis, the average Hellene enjoys the publicity through, but is not impressed by, them.
Going to a distinguished finishing school such as Gordonstoun or Eton carries gravitas but does not suffice ti impress the Hellenes. The average middle-class 25-year-old boy or girl, nowadays, is expected to be a physician, an economist, an engineer, a lawyer and to have obtained at least a master's degree in England or the USA. In the context of globalization, the market is getting very competitive and good jobs are hard to get in Greece.

In the context of all the above, it is no surprise that Mrs Miller-de Grecia* has not fared well with the Hellenes, even in her capacity as the wife of a courtesy prince. And really, there is nothing personal against the particular lady who may indeed be oustanding and a perfect addition to the de Grecia [surname quoted in King Constantine's Danish passport] family. She is just the wrong kind for the Greek setting. Someone like the former Miss Donaldson or princess Maxima of the Netherlands would have done very well with the Hellenes for, albeit non royal, they are women of substance, from the professions, and successful in their own rights.
Last but not least, every history and self-respecting individual would agree that Greece is not about Valentino, Armani, Mykonos or gyros and souvlaki with pitta bread. For good or bad, Greece is the cradle of Western Civilization and ought to be preserved as such for the common good.

*By Greek Law introduced in the 1980s, if Mrs. Miller-de Grecia were to become a Greek citizen, she would remain Mrs. Miller, since all women retain their maiden surname upon marriage. Outside Greece, [whether she is an American or British or Danish citizen] her appropriate name is Mrs. Miller or Mrs. Miller-de Grecia or Mrs. de Grecia, since, after king Constantine's adoption of the de Grecia surname, all of his children (including her husband) inherited automatically the same.

Last edited:
THat was a very interesting summary. Very informative. Thank you.

... it is no surprise that Mrs Miller-de Grecia has not fared well with the Hellenes...
Thank You for your responses, they are reasoned and informative.

The nature of your previous comments were not only about work ethic or history or intelligence but about her appearance which I think is just obnoxious coming from a respected newspapers. The New York Times doesnt engage in nasty declarations about peoples appearance. That is left to our daily tabloid rags The New York Post or the Daily News. As Warren stated I'm still a bit surprised that MC is so negatively thought of since (and I will admit I dont know her profile in the european press) she seems to keep a pretty low public profile. If the criticism were based on something concrete, like a series of major gaffes I would agree but as far as I can tell (again I dont know her European public image) she hasnt put a foot wrong since marrying into the GRF. I find it strange that Europeans still have a kind of prejudice against her because she come from a wealthy family (a selfmade wealth family). As an American I respect the drive and ambition for Mr. Miller to attain the level of success the he's managed. I find it petty to take negative swipes at the daughter just because she was raised by someone who knows the meaning of hard work. And noone knows whether MC has those same qualities because those papers and the Greek seem to already formed their opinions based on their own prejudices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You for your responses, they are reasoned and informative.

The nature of your previous comments were not only about work ethic or history or intelligence but about her appearance which I think is just obnoxious coming from a respected newspapers. The New York Times doesnt engage in nasty declarations about peoples appearance.

The Washington Post which is an equally prestigious newspaper used to host the late satirical columnist Art Buchwald who could be very caustic at times. In all fairness to Pandora, the "anonymous" satirical columnist of To Vima, he (he is a man actually) tried to hellenize her name, which is an old custom in Greece (for example Nancy Leeds, who married prince Christopher became princess Anastasia), and changed the Chantal to Kanella. I would agree though with you that he used it in a pejorative sense.

I find it strange that Europeans still have a kind of prejudice against her because she come from a wealthy family (a selfmade wealth family).
It seems to me that in the absence of any other ammunition, all that is left is to use her father's status as a self-made businessman to belittle Marie Chantal. I find it odd that a Greek journalist would resort to this line of attack, as the best known and wealthiest Greek families are also descended from self-made tycoons (Niarchos, Onassis and Latsis in shipping, as compared to Mr Miller's duty-free empire). More generally, it's always amusing when republicans look down their noses at "unequal" royal marriage partners.

It seems to me that in the absence of any other ammunition, all that is left is to use her father's status as a self-made businessman to belittle Marie Chantal. I find it odd that a Greek journalist would resort to this line of attack, as the best known and wealthiest Greek families are also descended from self-made tycoons (Niarchos, Onassis and Latsis in shipping, as compared to Mr Miller's duty-free empire). More generally, it's always amusing when republicans look down their noses at "unequal" royal marriage partners.

You are always poignant and funny!
Seriously now: The Greek persona, character or psyche is full of contrasts, contradictions and conflicts. This, again, is a reflection of history, what is known as the ancient Greek drama, that is, the combination of contrasting and extreme emotional situations, tragedy and comedy. In addition, the Greeks do not dispose of the anglosaxonic phlegma; we are extroverts and loud, very loud.
Those of you who live or have lived in such cities as Melbourne, New York (Borough of Queens, Astoria), Chicago, Toronto or Sydney may well identify with the aforementioned. You may be familiar with Greek mother-and-son, father-and-daughter homeric fights which, within minutes, can turn to explicit display of love. So, drama, hyperbole and contrasting emotions or sentiments are the quintessence, the "oxygen", you may say, of the Greek persona. Things can turn sour only when the Greeks lose respect for someone. Then, there is a serious problem.

Last edited:
My opinion as to why MC may not be popular with ppl (in and outside of Greece) is her persona. She may be a kind compassionate and charitable person if you know her. She seems to truly adore her family. But she does not always come across that way. Whereas Mary and Maxima exude more warmth and approachability, there's that "Ice Princess" feeling about Marie Chantal. The whole "look-but-don't-touch" thing. I think alot of it has to do with her upbringing and the importance placed on her and her sisters - by their mother - to always look perfect (there's a quote from MC where she says her mother gave her two bits of advice on snagging a husband: always have manicured nails and don't get fat. Her mother seems quite shallow). I think photo ops of MC with her children, smiling and not decked out in designer gowns has much improved her image over the years. But I still think people just haven't "warmed up" to her as much as they have some of the other seemingly more down-to-earth crown princesses.

I think alot of it has to do with her upbringing and the importance placed on her and her sisters - by their mother - to always look perfect (there's a quote from MC where she says her mother gave her two bits of advice on snagging a husband: always have manicured nails and don't get fat. Her mother seems quite shallow).

Did she really say that???? Are you sure she did?
If the Greeks only knew that!
Even if her mother did say that, didn't she have the common sense to realize that such a thing is idiotic and inappropriate and should not have been shared with anyone let a alone the media??

Last edited:
Did she really say that???? Are you sure she did?
If the Greeks only knew that!
Even if her mother did say that, didn't she have the common sense to realize that such thing is inappropriate and should not have been shared with anyone let a alone the media??
According to a MC quote by MC, the mother said that. I will try to find a copy of the article.

I've heard that quote as well. It's been around for a while since she seemd to do more press when she and her family were residing in New York City.

Thanks to Kaffir for the link. :)
To set the record straight, here's the quote in the context of the July 1995 Vogue article, from Pia Getty (neé Miller):

If, as everyone says, the Miller sisters are loaded with style, they thank their mother, Chantal, an Ecuadorian beauty who, like her daughters, married in her early 20s. They describe her taste as conservative with a penchant for Valentino; her grooming is impeccable. "Never bite your nails; don't get fat" is some of the advice Pia remembers their mother giving them at an early age.

In a recent Hello ! mag appeared MC as if she´s pregnant. Can someone post the photo?
Thank you.

I am just thrilled to know that Mr. Robert Miller has some Canadian blood in him. His mother was from the beautiful east coast island province of P.E.I. (Prince Edward Island). Stunning beautiful scenery and with very warm hearted folk who posses good ethical work sense. She left West Prince County and most likely came from Alberton, to work for an American family near Boston, Mass as a governess I believe. Someone else might want to add or correct me ...
Cheers,
MM :flowers:

Last edited:
I am just thrilled to know that Mr. Robert Miller has some Canadian blood in him. His mother was from the beautiful east coast island province of P.E.I. (Prince Edward Island). Stunning beautiful scenery and with very warm hearted folk whose posses good ethical work sense. She left East Prince County and most likely came from Alberton, to work for an American family near Boston, Mass as a governess I believe. Someone else might want to add or correct me ...
Cheers,
I don't know too much about his ancestry, I do know that Robert Miller grew up in Quincy, MA - just outside Boston. I believe at the time of MC's wedding, his mother (MC's grandmother) was still living in Quincy as there was a small mention of the family - and the wedding - in the social section of, I believe, The Boston Globe. But none of the Miller girls ever talk much about their parents' backgrounds, which, I've always said, is too bad.

Thank you for adding that Bella. You are right, they haven't revealed too much about their grandfamilies. Cheers,
MM

Last edited:
Here is a site with the alleged geneology of the Miller sisters. It only mention the ancestors from the Miller side, which just makes me more curious about the Pesantes side of the family.

Last edited:
To Olili, about the pic in this week's hello mag :
I've just downloaded the mag, the (nice) pic is the same I posted about page 8 of this thread on 30th August. I think the effect is just due to the dress and position (all natural, for once)...

I am just thrilled to know that Mr. Robert Miller has some Canadian blood in him. His mother was from the beautiful east coast island province of P.E.I. (Prince Edward Island). Stunning beautiful scenery and with very warm hearted folk who posses good ethical work sense. She left West Prince County and most likely came from Alberton, to work for an American family near Boston, Mass as a governess I believe. Someone else might want to add or correct me ...
Cheers,

Mr. Miller also has some background among the early English settlers in the American colonies. (We're distant cousins.)

Pic 18.10.2007

Here it is the newest pic of Marie-Chantal and Pavlos :flowers: and with
this hair style MC looks great again - not to forget the nice dress of course :)

Princess Marie-Chantel and Prince Pavlos of Greece arrive at the
Swarovski Fashion Rocks in aid of The Prince's Trust, at the Royal
Albert Hall on October 18, 2007 in London, England. Benett/Getty

----> Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom