The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Royal Highness

I think that they did fall in love at first sight even though, they met, because common friends wanted them to meet. But they hadn´t seen each other before. As you know, not all of those kinds of "arranged" dates work out well.But theirs, to me seems to have evolved into a happy marriage and four lovely children.
Yes, Queeen Frederika was his Paternal grandmother. She was married to King Paul. But magazines often mix-up things.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
I haven't seen the article yet, but the Vanity Fair website reports that the February 2008 issue contains an article on Pavlos and MC. Here's the description:

A ROYAL FAMILY AFFAIR
Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece may never get a throne, but they seem to have everything else, plus four towheaded kids. Bob Colacello crashes the couple’s vacation in Porto Heli to learn the secret formula. Photographs by Jonathan Becker.
February 2008: Table of Contents: vanityfair.com

I just got my copy and was so happy to see the story on Marie-Chantal and Pavlos. I was surprised to learn the M-C had such a difficult delivery with her last child;perhaps that's wht Pavlos lost a lot of weight,from worrying about his wife? The family looks beautiful and happy.
And, the people who insisted that Pavlos and M-C meet were right;the couple seems so well-matched and happy with their lives together.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
I was also a little confused by the article. They talk like it was love-at-first-sight, but then they also mention an arranged marriage. More messed up facts?

There was no mention of an arranged marriage. This one Greek thought that Marie and Pavlos would be perfect for each other. He knew both families. He tried to arrange a blind date but both refused until New Orleans when they could not get our of it. They simply were set up on a date. Then it was love at first sight.

As for the dowry there really wasn't one. Robert Miller gave them a huge sum of money (the couple) he didn't give it to HM Constantine. It is not uncommon for parents to give things like this if they can.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Royal Highness

I loved all the photos in Vanity Fair, but especially the one with the grandchildren. I think it was taken before Amelia was born, or else she was too small to be there.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100 View Post
There was no mention of an arranged marriage.
Yes there certainly was a reference to it being "arranged." In the first paragraph it says, "And, more than 12 years into what started as an arranged alliance between European nobility and American money..."

The point is, it was an arranged pairing, but, happily, it was also love at first sight. It can be both arranged and love-at-first-sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100 View Post
As for the dowry there really wasn't one. Robert Miller gave them a huge sum of money (the couple) he didn't give it to HM Constantine. It is not uncommon for parents to give things like this if they can.
Again, it specifically says it WAS a dowry: "...Robert Miller reportedly provided his daughter with a $200 million dowry -- as he had for Pia and Alexandra."

I think the fact that Alecko Papamarkou asked Constantine for a commission on the dowry for setting the couple up also suggests pretty clearly that it was, indeed, an arranged marriage, it was a dowry, and those close to the family believe that Constantine has control over it.

(Personally, my parents have always been of the "Here's $20, go elope" school of dowry-providing, so what do I know?)
Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carminha Stalker View Post
I loved all the photos in Vanity Fair, but especially the one with the grandchildren. I think it was taken before Amelia was born, or else she was too small to be there.
Odysseas is also missing from the picture. He's older than Alexia's son, so it wasn't taken before he was born. (I wonder if the royals have the same problems normal families do with little boys refusing to pose or getting themselves all dirty just before a family picture!)
Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
(Personally, my parents have always been of the "Here's $20, go elope" school of dowry-providing, so what do I know?)
Well you know the Millers are big on public displays of wealth and what better way to show the world how much $$$ you have than by throwing your daughter(s) an insanely extravagant wedding(s). To a Prince, no less. Though I think Pia's wedding was more downscale - didn't she get married on the beach in Bali? I'll be curious to see what sorts of weddings Pia and/or Alexandra have if either of them marry again. Maybe the $20 elopement isn't too far-fetched.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Well you know the Millers are big on public displays of wealth and what better way to show the world how much $$$ you have than by throwing your daughter(s) an insanely extravagant wedding(s). To a Prince, no less. Though I think Pia's wedding was more downscale - didn't she get married on the beach in Bali? I'll be curious to see what sorts of weddings Pia and/or Alexandra have if either of them marry again. Maybe the $20 elopement isn't too far-fetched.
Yeah, poor Pia. Stuck with a generic American bazillionaire and an exotic wedding in Bali, while her sisters get princes. Life's just not fair.

As for Alexandra's future wedding plans, I guess all we know for certain is that she won't be wearing a Diane von Furtsenburg dress.

Incidentally, the Vanity Fair article said that Pavlos "parted company" with Alex von Furstenburg over their business venture. Was there a public falling out?

Also, does anyone have a link to the picture of Pavlos in the Greek Army officer's uniform that the article mentions?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:59 AM
Royal Highness

Pia and Alex must be jealous of MC because their marriages failed while hers has succeeded (or she just can't get out of it). Anyhoodles, I hadn't heard of a falling out between Pavlos and Alex over business. And as for the mention of a picture of Pavlos in uniform, I've seen one but I'm not sure where. It might be here: Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece but I'm not sure (the pictures are blocked on this computer).
Old 01-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I would hope that Pia and Alexandra aren't jealous of Marie-Chantal simply because their marriages have failed. I have never been divorced, but I would like to believe that it is better to be divorced than stuck in an unhappy marriage. I like to believe that Marie-Chantal would want what is best for her sisters, and vice-versa. Perhaps some day, Pia and Alexandra will find the right person, royal or not.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
picture of Pavlos in uniform, I've seen one but I'm not sure where. It might be here: Pavlos, Crown Prince of Greece but I'm not sure (the pictures are blocked on this computer).
Your hunch was right - it was there sometime -- but it's gone now. I can't find it anywhere. It's so annoying when magazines refer to specific pictures then don't run them!
Old 01-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Serene Highness

kalnel, I'm not sure it was so much a falling out of the guys as it may have been a falling out with Bob Miller who, IMO, probably gave them the start up funds for their investment company. Alex has had a roving eye for years and it, allegedly, did not stop with his marriage to Alexandra. To a self made man like Bob Miller who has been "careful" with his marriage to Chantal, I don't think infidelity goes over so well, even if it is thought to be common in circles he is now able to run in.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Time to close this thread.
The new thread for Crown Prince Pavlos and Crown Princess Marie Chantal can be found here.

The news about the Princess's pregnancy can be found in Princess Marie Chantal is expecting her 5th child thread.
Suggestions and ideas about the possible name of the baby can be found in the What will be the name of the new child? thread.

Thanks to everyone, who contributed!

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Closed Thread