The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla1971
Yeah, it's sad that rich and pretty aren't always together!:( Horrible in the case of royal families though.
Actually I find it quite consoling, hey I'm just kidding!

Old 12-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Gentry

Wallis

:) :) Hello. I've been following the website for the last couple of years, but have never logged in or posted a message. I agree with a lot of the comments here about Marie-Chantal, both negative and positive. I met her this early August when her Madison avenue boutique opened. I didn't really speak to her much. She asked me if I had children. I told her that I'm here buying a present for my girlfriend's daughter and that I've been married for 10 years and have been struggling to have kids for the last 5. I must say that she looked sincerely sad for me. There was another woman there who couldn't stop talking to her or asking her questions. While I was leaving, I noticed her staring at me and then she shouted out goodbye.
I agree with some of the posters that she is not that pretty and that she should do more for Greece. However, I also found her oddly warm and approachable.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Aristocracy

I don't know if it has been posted yet (I can't find it anywhere and I've been searching this site for over half an hour), but could somebody please give me the contact adress of Pavlos and M-C? I would like to send them a christmas card, but I don't know where to.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Commoner

Perhaps if you just sent it to her store in London it would get to her. I am sure she probably is in there often when they are in town.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Courtier

Try sending it to King Constantine's office or the Hellenic College of London.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite26
Perhaps if you just sent it to her store in London it would get to her. I am sure she probably is in there often when they are in town.
Where is her store? I am flying in tommorrow and wouldn't mind popping in!
Old 12-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Aristocracy

thank you for sharing your experience wallis. i wish you the best for your personal life. as regards mc, i am happy to hear of someone who has actually spoke to her. she is not my favourite, but i think we should give her at least a chance, even myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallis
:) :) Hello. I've been following the website for the last couple of years, but have never logged in or posted a message. I agree with a lot of the comments here about Marie-Chantal, both negative and positive. I met her this early August when her Madison avenue boutique opened. I didn't really speak to her much. She asked me if I had children. I told her that I'm here buying a present for my girlfriend's daughter and that I've been married for 10 years and have been struggling to have kids for the last 5. I must say that she looked sincerely sad for me. There was another woman there who couldn't stop talking to her or asking her questions. While I was leaving, I noticed her staring at me and then she shouted out goodbye.
I agree with some of the posters that she is not that pretty and that she should do more for Greece. However, I also found her oddly warm and approachable.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
Where is her store? I am flying in tommorrow and wouldn't mind popping in!
The adress of her store is :
148 Walton Street
London SW3 2JJ
United Kingdom
T 44 20 7838 1111
Old 12-13-2005, 06:20 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
That is a nice story, Wallis, thank you for sharing it. MC comes across as a sympathetic woman.

I wonder though, as many people say 'she should do more for Greece'...what does she have to do for Greece? What are her in-laws doing for Greece at the moment? I don't know of any projects by the former king, queen or crownprince, or of Pss Irene, Alexia etc, who were actually born in Greece. And what help does Greece need? Especially, why would they want help from a family they have thrown out & have treated extremely badly, since their arrival in the 19th century, up to now?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Courtier

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
That is a nice story, Wallis, thank you for sharing it. MC comes across as a sympathetic woman.

I wonder though, as many people say 'she should do more for Greece'...what does she have to do for Greece? What are her in-laws doing for Greece at the moment? I don't know of any projects by the former king, queen or crownprince, or of Pss Irene, Alexia etc, who were actually born in Greece. And what help does Greece need? Especially, why would they want help from a family they have thrown out & have treated extremely badly, since their arrival in the 19th century, up to now?

I agree, what should she do? Why? She is not a crown princess of that country. She is a citizen just like any of us, only rich. I don't even see any of the royals doing anything for their country except attending dinners and posing for pictures, preparing speeches, and that type of "work."
Old 12-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Gentry

Unhappy I agree Marengo, but...

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, she is a symbol and the mother of future princes. Because she appears in magazines and in the media as "Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece," then she has to try to look positive for the country of Greece. She can't disgrace the country.
But I think that she has no time for much dedication. The "nosy" woman at her Madison Avenue boutique asked her if her life was busy as a mother of four. She replied yes and said that she loves to stay in with her husband and four children because of the the work in raising four kids, the many trips, and the work of selling clothes at the boutiques. I don't want to insult her, but she should not carry that title unless she intends to honor it. Queen Elizabeth sacrificed family and personal gain for duty to her country.
By the way, MC also told the "nosy" woman most of the restaurants she frequents in London and Greece, what her kids do in school, and who was taking care of her kids at the moment. I thought the woman was rude for asking so many questions, but now I regret not asking her any. :(
Old 12-14-2005, 12:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, she is a symbol and the mother of future princes. Because she appears in magazines and in the media as "Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece," then she has to try to look positive for the country of Greece. She can't disgrace the country.
But I think that she has no time for much dedication. The "nosy" woman at her Madison Avenue boutique asked her if her life was busy as a mother of four. She replied yes and said that she loves to stay in with her husband and four children because of the the work in raising four kids, the many trips, and the work of selling clothes at the boutiques. I don't want to insult her, but she should not carry that title unless she intends to honor it. Queen Elizabeth sacrificed family and personal gain for duty to her country.
By the way, MC also told the "nosy" woman most of the restaurants she frequents in London and Greece, what her kids do in school, and who was taking care of her kids at the moment. I thought the woman was rude for asking so many questions, but now I regret not asking her any. :(
First of all, she is NOT Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, she is Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece. She was not born a princess and only holds the title through marriage.

Second, Pavlos and his siblings are entitled to carry their style and titles as Prince/Princess of Greece & Denmark, but hold no royal rank. They are simply styles as the monarchy no longer reigns in Greece, but as a matter of protocol among the European royal houses, are granted the courtesy of their status.

And lastly, Marie-Chantal has no obligation to do anything for Greece or anyone else. She is independently wealthy and has a busy life as a mother, wife and businessperson. That's what is important to her, not a throne which never will be reality again.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I don't think she disgraces the country in any way by setting up her own business. There is nothing disgracefull about an honest job. Unless the greek state is willing to pay for their ex-royals (which is unlikely and unnessecairy) the ex-royals will have to work for a living.

Again I fail to see why and HOW she should dedicate herself to Greece. If such dedication was needed I am sure it is Pavlos who has to start it, which is not happening. Instead they face up reality and move on.

Queen Elizabeth II, or any other reigning royals can not be compared to former reigning royals, as the former reigning were often kicked out of their country so the country did not need their sacrifices or other help from them. And again, Queen Elizabeth II gets paid by the british, while the greek royals have to provide for themselves.

To be frank, if I see the hardships the greek put their royal family through in the years they were in Greece (burning down the estate of King Consantine I and Queen Sophie comes to mind, among other things), I think it is a blessing for the present family, not to have obligations to that country.

In history there were many other royals or ex royals who had a title and who led a less then examplary life (Carol II of Roumenia comes to mind), she simply IS HRH Crownprincess Pavlos of Greece, despite her behavior. Furthermore I do not see in what way she in dishonouring it.

Having this said, I think it a positive sign she actually knows good restaurants in Greece, which means she goes there every once in a while :).
Lets hope that her stores will be such a succes that soon she will be opening another one. If you are invited again you first take a strong Wodka and then ask her all the questions you didn't want to ask last time
Old 12-14-2005, 06:14 AM
Commoner

How does Marie-Chantal "disgrace" Greece??????????????? If anything, she carries herself with far more dignity than many princesses in reigining houses do. She has a title by virtue of her marriage, thats HER NAME! What is she suppossed to call herself? She doesn't seem to be someone who pulls rank. Fine, she loves a fashion shoot, but she obvioulsly enjoys a very private life with her husband and children and people should just LET HER BE! She is Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece and nothing we say will change that
Old 12-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
First of all, she is NOT Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, she is Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece. She was not born a princess and only holds the title through marriage.

Second, Pavlos and his siblings are entitled to carry their style and titles as Prince/Princess of Greece & Denmark, but hold no royal rank. They are simply styles as the monarchy no longer reigns in Greece, but as a matter of protocol among the European royal houses, are granted the courtesy of their status.

And lastly, Marie-Chantal has no obligation to do anything for Greece or anyone else. She is independently wealthy and has a busy life as a mother, wife and businessperson. That's what is important to her, not a throne which never will be reality again.
'

I dont agree. If your first statement should be true then there was no crownprincess Mary of Denmark, Diana of Wales, Mathilde of Belgium and so on.....
Old 12-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Courtier

Each monarchy does things differently. Constantine himself made sure that she wasn't styled "Crown Princess Marie-Chantal" when he didn't make her a princess.

Diana was NEVER Diana of Wales. She was HRH The Princess of Wales until her divorce, when she took the style of a divorced peeress and became Diana, Princess of Wales.

Mathilde, Maxima and Claire were all created princesses in their own right, so they aren't dependent on their husbands for their titles.

Mary and Alexandra use their own names because of Margrethe's decision to allow Alexandra to not be HRH Princess Joachim, but there was a debate in Denmark in 1995 about what she would be called because she wasn't born a princess.

Laurentien wasn't created a princess in her own right, but Dutch law allows her to be styled Princess Laurentien rather than Princess COnstantijn.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:54 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg

Thank God someone sees it as it is FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Again I fail to see why and HOW she should dedicate herself to Greece. If such dedication was needed I am sure it is Pavlos who has to start it, which is not happening. Instead they face up reality and move on.

She is not obliged to do anything, just keep in mind that if she had not marry Pavlos, nobody would have known who she is. I mean she is nice rich and classy, but who believes that her fashion shops would have a single client, without them belonging to a Crown Princess???? When she opened her shop in Athens full of people went there, obviousely not to see the baby's dresses but to see a nice princess, so she ows something to Greece....

Quote:

To be frank, if I see the hardships the greek put their royal family through in the years they were in Greece (burning down the estate of King Consantine I and Queen Sophie comes to mind, among other things), I think it is a blessing for the present family, not to have obligations to that country.

First of all, I do not know where are you coming from, but you are not allowed to use such wording like "that country", this is unfair, and I forbid you. The "greek" royal family, who arrived in Greece from Denmark, against people's willings, never managed to really persuate people that they really felt greek!!! For almost one century, they lived in a royal way, thanks to "that country", and sometimes they have been chassed away, because they were unable to make people love them.
Personnally I believe that Costantine does feel greek, and his highest wish is to have been able to keep his obligations and rights to Greece, unfortunately for him, game is lost.

Quote:

simply IS HRH Crownprincess Pavlos of Greece, despite her behavior. Furthermore I do not see in what way she in dishonouring it.

She is not dishounouring at all, she is too classy for that, and nothing is wrong with her behavior. She is just using and absolutely not hounouring.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla1971
I really don't see what all the fuss is about the Greek RF, they are just people with useless dilusions of grandeur.

They will never be restored to the Greek throne and they are not serving the people of Greece in any way, so why are they titled "of Greece"?

They don't deserve these titles and shouldn't have them.

The majority of Greek people don't know what the point of this is, why so they want to cash in on their ancestors achievements? Can't they find recognition on their own?

I have to agree with you, Layla. I simply do not understand the GRF; I'm trying to, but it is just not happening.

With all due respect to the fans of the Greek Royal family, what is the point? To me, GRF are living in the past and perhaps believe that they have some power or importance in Greece. Second, I get the feeling that Constantine is holding on to something that will never happen again for the family; it's as if he simply cannot accept that royalty in Greece is over and will never be restored. Third, hanging around other reigning families, with whom he is not related too, seems to make him feel important, more so, when he is being photographed (to me his actions come off that way.) When photographed it seems he is trying to hard to be next to or near to other reigning Kings and Queens by letting the public know that he is just as important; moreover, that he is, in fact, a King.

Please correct me if my sentiments are wrong.:)
Old 12-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
She is not obliged to do anything, just keep in mind that if she had not marry Pavlos, nobody would have known who she is. I mean she is nice rich and classy, but who believes that her fashion shops would have a single client, without them belonging to a Crown Princess???? When she opened her shop in Athens full of people went there, obviousely not to see the baby's dresses but to see a nice princess, so she ows something to Greece....
In the US the Miller sisters were known before their marriage and in their own right, not because of their husband. I think in the US more people know Marie-Chantal then Pavlos.

We will never know if she would have had customers or not if she did not marry Pavlos as she did marry him. She doesn't owe anything to Greece, dispite her greek clientele, she sells clothes and some greeks like to buy it, for their own reasons. The only thing the customers can expect is that the clothes are of a descent quality.

Quote:
First of all, I do not know where are you coming from, but you are not allowed to use such wording like "that country", this is unfair, and I forbid you. The "greek" royal family, who arrived in Greece from Denmark, against people's willings, never managed to really persuate people that they really felt greek!!! For almost one century, they lived in a royal way, thanks to "that country", and sometimes they have been chassed away, because they were unable to make people love them.
Personnally I believe that Costantine does feel greek, and his highest wish is to have been able to keep his obligations and rights to Greece, unfortunately for him, game is lost.
I do not think you can forbid me saying 'that country', or anything else. As I mentioned Greece before in the same sentense it is clear that I mean no disrespect.

There were several plebecides on the monarchy, which showed that the greeks did want this danish dynasty at several stages. I agree that up to a point they were responsable for their own mess. In hindsight it would have been wiser if they stayed more away from politics, which might have made it more difficult for some greek politicians to use them as paws for their own political ambitions. But in the end I believe that it was a part of the greek politicians who mistreated this family very badly indeed. The trials againt Prince Andrew come to mind and the way they treated King Alexander I (who was not allowed to call his own mother & who died without his parents being able to visit or burry him).

Living in a royal way had more to do with the marriages the greek RF made then with the income they derived from Greece. It is well known that the members of the greek RF who did not marry well were relatively poor (for example the parents of the duke of Edinburgh). The Russian marriages, Marie Bonaparte and Nancy Leeds brought some money in the family.

I agree with your remarks on ex-king Constantine II.

Quote:
She is not dishounouring at all, she is too classy for that, and nothing is wrong with her behavior. She is just using and absolutely not hounouring.
What is she using and what is she not honouring? Greece? How should she be honouring it then?