The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 04:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat
So is anyone gonna post this British Vogue article? Would appreciate it. Or maybe just give some snippets of it.
there are the scans on the site : http://crownprincessmary.ipbhost.com

Old 06-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Gentry

Here are the scans of Vogue.

Source: Vogue Magazine

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4...Chantel001.jpg

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4...Chantel002.jpg

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4...Chantel003.jpg

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4...Chantel004.jpg

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4...Chantel005.jpg

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4...Chantel006.jpg

Old 06-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Aristocracy

Marie-Chantal lives a very glamorous and luxurious life, yet seems to be a doting mother to her children. It is unusual to see someone who appears to have it all. Good for her!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Good interview of MC.

I must give her some credit for being so honest in this piece. Bravo, MC.

At first, I really didn't know what to make of her, but now I have to respect her for the things she has accomplished. :)
Old 06-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens
thank you

:)
You're welcome
Old 06-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Commoner

''..Her father could buy Greece if he wanted...''is mentioned somewhere in the interview.Why don't they tell us,who actually said that?He or she,who said that, suffers from the syndrome of ''Big mouth and small brain''.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you for scanning the article and pictures! MC comes across far more down-to-earth than I'd ever imagined. And I think she sincerely enjoys her children and her marriage. I hope it's all real, not some glossy PR ploy. I really liked the photo of her and her masked children on the stairs. Looks like they have alot of fun.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Gentry

Thank you m 12. I tried to scan it using the scanner in my husband's business, but he thought I was ridiculous and said I should stop wasting my time posting and opining about other people's lives.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
Thank you for scanning the article and pictures! MC comes across far more down-to-earth than I'd ever imagined. And I think she sincerely enjoys her children and her marriage. I hope it's all real, not some glossy PR ploy. I really liked the photo of her and her masked children on the stairs. Looks like they have alot of fun.
I too enjoyed the article and also found her down to earth. I also liked her "blunt" honesty, especially in regards to her father's wealth and her sister's misfortunes. As for the "her father could buy Greece" comment, I found that ignorant and offensive, especially since her father is not even that rich in America compared to Bill Gates, etal.

The only thing that made my eyes roll was when she mentioned that she would like to get her hands "dirty", especially to help children. Please. In my opinion, only if you are willing to teach, coach or mentor children do you really make a difference. The rest is just talk.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallis
Thank you m 12. I tried to scan it using the scanner in my husband's business, but he thought I was ridiculous and said I should stop wasting my time posting and opining about other people's lives.
Men just don't understand the gossip gene.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
Yeah, you're totally right
Old 06-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks so much M 12 for posting the links for us. :)

Well, it was a pretty good interview. At least she came across as more humble than she has in her other interviews. I don't think she should have dissed Paris Hilton though. I'm not crazy about Paris either, but still it wasn't very appropriate to do in an interview. I'm also surprised she swore a bit. :o

BTW, what is bento boxes. She says, ".... we have friends over & watch a film together with bento boxes on our laps.

I have to say I give her and Pavlos credit for still having a seemingly strong marriage. And I don't think it's a farce like some people claim. I don't think you can "fake it" for 10 years. I think it's nice to see a marriage (especially in this day and age) last a long time. So kudos to them.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat
BTW, what is bento boxes. She says, ".... we have friends over & watch a film together with bento boxes on our laps.
Bento boxes are a Japanese tradition of dining. They are (usually) lacquered boxes that are separated into several quadrants (like a separated plate if you live in North America). In each compartment is a different dish, such as rice in one compartment, meat in another, and veggies in another. The combinations of food vary.

Here is an example.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Bento boxes are a Japanese tradition of dining. They are (usually) lacquered boxes that are separated into several quadrants (like a separated plate if you live in North America). In each compartment is a different dish, such as rice in one compartment, meat in another, and veggies in another. The combinations of food vary.

Here is an example.

Oh, ok. Thanks Alexandria. That hasn't caught on in America. It looks kinda cool though.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:19 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks M_12 for scanning & posting the interview for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallis
I too enjoyed the article and also found her down to earth. I also liked her "blunt" honesty, especially in regards to her father's wealth and her sister's misfortunes.
Not to mention her comments on royalty and current RULING royal families in particular! I actually am pretty blown away by some of her comments on this.

For example,when talking about how 'lucky' she is to have her father to help out financially, and mentioning how Pavlos didn't grow up "with that certainty", then Vogue quotes her: "I mean, you take any of those families and kick them out of their country and they wouldn't know how to.." and then there's a meaningful silence on her part according to the interviewer!

This is stunning stuff, folks! I'm quite serious: For one, she's talking about--dare we say criticize?-- direct family of her husband! I.e. the queen of Denmark is her husband's aunt--another aunt of his is queen of Spain!
She is basically saying that without their pretty tiara's, these royals who happen to currently have a country to rule, wouldn't be worth their salt if you took away their thrones!

In my opinion, this is an extremely interesting comment: the way I interpret it is that Marie Chantal, having been able to take a good look 'in the kitchens' of a slew of these royal families for over a decade now, has (finally) realized that perhaps these royals aren't all they're made out to be: and that without these vast, as she puts it, "well oiled machines" behind these royals, those crowned heads we love to discuss may not be all we think they are! Of course, that might be a big "DUh!" to billions of us who see these royals for what they are: human beings with a heck of an interesting pair of shoes to walk in.

That said, I also think that MC is (belatedly?) realizing that it actually takes a lot more perseverance, luck, and hard, hard, work, to be a successful 'self made' person, to start your own company and become a billionaire like her father did, than most of these people we call "royals" will ever know!

And that people like her father--who by all impressions literally earned the good fortunes that eventually came his way after years and years of sweat--are more worthy of our admiration than someone who is merely lucky to be born into a family with a throne.

I think it's really really interesting that MC, of all people, turns out to think this way AND let alone that she has the guts to express this publicly! Good for her, I say. I always had the hunch there's a sound head on this girl's shoulders, and now, in my view, it's been confirmed.

Was the interview a PR move? Of course it was! She has a new business to hawk, she might as well promote it as best she can.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
Yes, it's really ridiculous. At this point, especially after he chastised me when I tried to scan the article, I just read this forum when he is not at home. What gets me angry is that I own the most books in the house, including John Kenneth Galbraith's "The Good Society", which he read after his death. I also buy "The Nation" and am currently reading Marcel Proust's "Swann's Way." So I get pissed when he mocks my interest in royals.:(
Old 06-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Thanks M_12 for scanning & posting the interview for us!

Not to mention her comments on royalty and current RULING royal families in particular! I actually am pretty blown away by some of her comments on this.

For example,when talking about how 'lucky' she is to have her father to help out financially, and mentioning how Pavlos didn't grow up "with that certainty", then Vogue quotes her: "I mean, you take any of those families and kick them out of their country and they wouldn't know how to.." and then there's a meaningful silence on her part according to the interviewer!

This is stunning stuff, folks! I'm quite serious: For one, she's talking about--dare we say criticize?-- direct family of her husband! I.e. the queen of Denmark is her husband's aunt--another aunt of his is queen of Spain!
She is basically saying that without their pretty tiara's, these royals who happen to currently have a country to rule, wouldn't be worth their salt if you took away their thrones!

In my opinion, this is an extremely interesting comment: the way I interpret it is that Marie Chantal, having been able to take a good look 'in the kitchens' of a slew of these royal families for over a decade now, has (finally) realized that perhaps these royals aren't all they're made out to be: and that without these vast, as she puts it, "well oiled machines" behind these royals, those crowned heads we love to discuss may not be all we think they are! Of course, that might be a big "DUh!" to billions of us who see these royals for what they are: human beings with a heck of an interesting pair of shoes to walk in.

That said, I also think that MC is (belatedly?) realizing that it actually takes a lot more perseverance, luck, and hard, hard, work, to be a successful 'self made' person, to start your own company and become a billionaire like her father did, than most of these people we call "royals" will ever know!

And that people like her father--who by all impressions literally earned the good fortunes that eventually came his way after years and years of sweat--are more worthy of our admiration than someone who is merely lucky to be born into a family with a throne.

I think it's really really interesting that MC, of all people, turns out to think this way AND let alone that she has the guts to express this publicly! Good for her, I say. I always had the hunch there's a sound head on this girl's shoulders, and now, in my view, it's been confirmed.

Was the interview a PR move? Of course it was! She has a new business to hawk, she might as well promote it as best she can.
I agree with this whole comment. I too was stunned. I would have been afraid to have criticized my husband's family in public, where they can easily read it or at least get wind of it. Also, it is hard to make money. It took my husband 5 years to make his business profitable. Now he is making 2-3 million a year and he is expanding. But we struggled for many years together. We have been together for 15 years, married for 10 (11 years come July 9) and for 8 years I was the only one making a salary while he finished law school and opened his own business. It was hard.

But I also agree with what you said at the end. Was this a p.r. move? I mentioned in previous posts that I met Marie Chantal at her store on Madison Avenue here in New York. She was very friendly. I didn't look at her much (like a typical New Yorker around a celebrity), but she was curious about whether or not I had kids and who was I buying the clothing for. Perhaps she was warm and friendly, but perhaps she was also trying to get an idea of what kind of customers are coming to her store.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Serene Highness

I agree with alot of what you said, Princess Olga. I tend to think MC holds a bit of resentment towards the "ruling" royal families, perhaps because it only makes her position less important or because she might feel her husband (and his family) were cheated out of their destiny (for lack of a better word) and probably because her son will never become king which she probably feels is his birthright. However, if you take anyone out of their situation, they'd be lost. Including herself. If she (and her family) suddenly found themselves penniless ~ w/out the palatial houses, the designer clothes, the servants, the holidays, etc. ~ she would be just as stranded as the royal families who found themselves w/out crown or country. As for being born into a priviledged position (rather than working for it), you really can't blame anyone for that. I once read a comment about the Prince of Wales where someone said 'you can't blame him for the life he was born into just as you can't blame someone born into a less fortunate life.' Or something like that. And while I do tend to give a more respectful nod to someone like Robt. Miller who struggled and sacrificed and earned his wealth and position, you can't write off those born w silver spoons. It's what they do with their advantages that really matters as well as the knowledge that (alot of times) their words and actions can have a positive (or negative) effect on those around them.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Gentry

[quote=rchat]Thanks so much M 12 for posting the links for us. :)

I don't think she should have dissed Paris Hilton though. I'm not crazy about Paris either, but still it wasn't very appropriate to do in an interview. I'm also surprised she swore a bit. :o

I didn't interpret that statement as a diss, but more like a compliment. My understanding was that for many years Marie Chantal felt like she cared too much about other people's opinions and what they thought about her. Now she feels that she is at a place in her life where she wants, to quote Eric Cartman from South Park, to "do what I want." So she used Paris Hilton as an example of some one who does what she wants no matter what people think and is still happy.

Funny that she mentioned this because years ago I read in an interview that she left New York because, especially after 911, everyone looks over your shoulder and judges what you do, including what charity you should get involved with or what board you should belong to. I would say that Marie Chantal is tired of political correctness and to tell you the truth, so am I.
I hope I don't get into trouble for saying this.:)

Closed Thread