The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Commoner

Of Maria Kanella

Quote:
Originally Posted by iannis
Oh, so you think that Greek people believe the same for both Constantine and Nikolaos for example?
For your information, the Greek Media call (sarcastically) Marie Chantal, Maria Kanella (kanella in Greek means cinnamon). If there was a 1:1,000,000 chance of restoration of monarchy in Greece, it became a 1:Zillion after Paul's marriage to this parvenue social climber from nowhere.
But, in all honesty, my friends, the Greeks do not even bother to think whether they like or not these people. Understandably, over 35-40% of the population, that is, people born after the abolition of Monarchy in 1974, cannot even conceptualize their country as a monarchy.
Back in the first half of the 20th century, more than 70% of the Greeks were peasants and their only pleasures were "bread and shows", in Greek "ΑρτοΣ και θεάματα"; they loved the Queen Frederika shows - her feathered hats, the elegant dresses and the convertible limousines. Indeed, the peasants used to call her "Φρειδερίκη ΜΟΥ", that is, "MY Frederika".
Some 50-60 years later, over 75% of Greeks own their primary residence (highest percentage in EU), illiteracy is negligible and the newer generations are educated, at least bi-lingual and often sophisticated. Now, therefore, that they have plenty to eat, can pay for pomp and circumstance and need not depend on the free shows staged by "their" Frederika (or fake equivalent), all matters royal are immaterial.
To be complete, nonetheless, it must be stressed that all Greeks aged 50 or older have fond memories of King Paul and, regardless of age, they harbor affection for Queen Sophia of Spain and this because they credit her for the transformation of a fascist country to a modern democracy.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by reximperatorx
For your information, the Greek Media call (sarcastically) Marie Chantal, Maria Kanella (kanella in Greek means cinnamon). If there was a 1:1,000,000 chance of restoration of monarchy in Greece, it became a 1:Zillion after Paul's marriage to this parvenue social climber from nowhere.
But, in all honesty, my friends, the Greeks do not even bother to think whether they like or not these people. Understandably, over 35-40% of the population, that is, people born after the abolition of Monarchy in 1974, cannot even conceptualize their country as a monarchy.
Back in the first half of the 20th century, more than 70% of the Greeks were peasants and their only pleasures were "bread and shows", in Greek "ΑρτοΣ και θεάματα"; they loved the Queen Frederika shows - her feathered hats, the elegant dresses and the convertible limousines. Indeed, the peasants used to call her "Φρειδερίκη ΜΟΥ", that is, "MY Frederika".
Some 50-60 years later, over 75% of Greeks own their primary residence (highest percentage in EU), illiteracy is negligible and the newer generations are educated, at least bi-lingual and often sophisticated. Now, therefore, that they have plenty to eat, can pay for pomp and circumstance and need not depend on the free shows staged by "their" Frederika (or fake equivalent), all matters royal are immaterial.
To be complete, nonetheless, it must be stressed that all Greeks aged 50 or older have fond memories of King Paul and, regardless of age, they harbor affection for Queen Sophia of Spain and this because they credit her for the transformation of a fascist country to a modern democracy.

You ARE Joking!!!!

Old 05-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Having lived in Greece for a very long time, it is the first time i hear this nickname for MC.
I can't also see how this is at all relevant to my question about Const. and Nik. you quoted, for my information
Old 05-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Commoner

see column ΒΗΜΑΤΟΔΟΤΗΣ in ΤΟ ΒΗΜΑ

Quote:
Having lived in Greece for a very long time, it is the first time i hear this nickname for MC.
I can't also see how this is at all relevant to my question about Const. and Nik. you quoted, for my information
Evidently you don't read the ΒΗΜΑΤΟΔΟΤΗΣ column in ΤΟ ΒΗΜΑ on Sundays. For non-Greek readers, TΟ ΒΗΜΑ and ΚΑΘΗΜΕΡΙΝΗ are the most reputable daily newspapers in Greece.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Gentry

'Espresso ' also!!
Old 05-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

HRH Crown Prince and Princess Pavlos arrive for a dinner hosted by Queen Rania Al-Abdullah of Jordan to launch the Jordan River Foundation in the UK at Banqueting hall in London, 31 May 2006.

King Abdullah & Queen Rania: Current News, Part 16
Old 05-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Evidently you don't read the ΒΗΜΑΤΟΔΟΤΗΣ column in ΤΟ ΒΗΜΑ on Sundays. For non-Greek readers, TΟ ΒΗΜΑ and ΚΑΘΗΜΕΡΙΝΗ are the most reputable daily newspapers in Greece.
Well, thankfully I am still a Greek reader and I am with you about Kathimerini, but Vima is too left-wing for my tastes though still rather reliable compared to others
Old 05-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia
HRH Crown Prince and Princess Pavlos arrive for a dinner hosted by Queen Rania Al-Abdullah of Jordan to launch the Jordan River Foundation in the UK at Banqueting hall in London, 31 May 2006.

King Abdullah & Queen Rania: Current News, Part 16
Is it me or does Pavlos in particular look a bit, well, wistful on these pics?

Also, seems that there were a lot of, shall we say, throneless royals in attendance. Sometimes, can't help it, I think they belong on the same heap as someone like Paris Hilton...socialites famous for being famous..

And Rosario should book a course on how to smile, immediately!!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Is it me or does Pavlos in particular look a bit, well, wistful on these pics?

Also, seems that there were a lot of, shall we say, throneless royals in attendance. Sometimes, can't help it, I think they belong on the same heap as someone like Paris Hilton...socialites famous for being famous..

And Rosario should book a course on how to smile, immediately!!
I agree. Did you read some of the comments in the miller site? It seems that one of the posters bought the British Vogue issue and read the article. She mentioned that Marie-Chantal touched on the topic of their "royalty." The poster stated that Marie-Chantal had mentioned that it is difficult for the children to have a royal identity when all they do is attend weddings. The poster also mentioned that Marie-Chantal admitted she was lucky to have a successful father and that she wondered how the other royals would have handled losing their throne and country. The poster mentioned that Marie-Chantal trailed off when she voiced this thought. I haven't bought the magazine or read the article, but it seems that there is resentment and sadness over the loss of their throne and country. Perhaps that is why Pavlos looks so wistful.
By the way, I disagree with the analogy to Paris Hilton. These ex-royals are much better than she'll ever be.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Serene Highness

I also thought there was something odd-looking about Pavlos in these last pictures. He's still an extremely handsome man, in my opinion, but since the pics of him and MC at King Carl G's birthday, I've thought Pavlos looked drawn and thin, even sickly. I can also understand that it must be difficult for the GRF to be in a sort of Royal Limbo and yet mix and mingle rather frequently with royals (albeit being related to many) who belong to actively reigning royal houses. I would think it would be very hard on Pavlos and his siblings because it was their father who was outsed, rather then the younger generation. Hopefully, Pavlos & MCs children, as well as their cousins, will find something productive and meaningful to do with their lives than forever be in the shadow of what once was.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Courtier

He's aging. I don't think the issue is the lack of a throne, because that's been the situation since he was seven months old. He's simply getting older. Maybe he's stressed with the new house and all, and work, but I seriously doubt that he's showing any recent strain from sitting on a throne that hasn't existed since 1974 -- he's had plenty of time to get over that.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Aristocracy

I agree.....
Old 06-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Courtier

Identity

To be a prince of Greece and 1.) Leaving Greece at the age of seven month and 2.) Not be welcome in Greece - in my opinion causes a problem with identity:You never know who you really are. And the fact that Konstantin keeps honouring by visiting Greece and appearing in public as often as he can doesnīt make it easier. Konstantin of course urges specially Pavlos to remember his "roots" all the time. This is one of the jobs that is a left-over: Simply keep remembering. The family makes a living of this. And not to forget- it might be one reason MC married Pavlos: BECAUSE heīs a prince, heīs relative to the Queen of Great Britain a.s.o. Even if he wanted, Pavlos couldnīt stop playing the prince. Iīm sure he would never find a common job because the family is much too noble (nephew of two Queens!)
Old 06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Courtier

He has a normal job. He's the manager of a hedge fund. Finance is a perfectly normal job where it doesn't really matter who your family is. Stocks don't perform any better because you're a prince.

He knows exactly who and what he is. This is a man who won't allow his co-workers to call him Pavlos because he's royal and they're not. He has had decades to get over being dethroned. He didn't start to look drawn until this past year, so the lack of the throne is not the problem because they lost their throne long before Carl Gustaf's birthday.

Constantine makes a living out of his former role. Nikolaos makes a living from his father's former position (he works for his dad). Pavlos and Alexia make a living from their own intelligence. Lord only knows what Theodora and Philippos are going to do, but hopefully Theodora won't become an actress.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
He didn't start to look drawn until this past year, so the lack of the throne is not the problem because they lost their throne long before Carl Gustaf's birthday.

Constantine makes a living out of his former role. Nikolaos makes a living from his father's former position (he works for his dad). Pavlos and Alexia make a living from their own intelligence. Lord only knows what Theodora and Philippos are going to do, but hopefully Theodora won't become an actress.
I agree with that assessment as well. I guess I jumped to conclusions because of the Miller site post comments on the article in the British Vogue. He is probably just older and more tired;however, why would Marie-Chantal bring up so controversial a subject as their royal status. Perhaps the poster at the Miller site exaggerated. But if Marie-Chantal really did bring up that subject, then I can see why so many of the Greeks dislike her. Diplomatic she is not.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
He has a normal job. He's the manager of a hedge fund. Finance is a perfectly normal job where it doesn't really matter who your family is. Stocks don't perform any better because you're a prince.

He knows exactly who and what he is. This is a man who won't allow his co-workers to call him Pavlos because he's royal and they're not.
So, under what surname do his co-workers call Pavlos? Any ideas or clues?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallis
I agree with that assessment as well. I guess I jumped to conclusions because of the Miller site post comments on the article in the British Vogue. He is probably just older and more tired;however, why would Marie-Chantal bring up so controversial a subject as their royal status. Perhaps the poster at the Miller site exaggerated. But if Marie-Chantal really did bring up that subject, then I can see why so many of the Greeks dislike her. Diplomatic she is not.
The Vogue interviewer might have asked her about their royal status and she might have been trying to answer it in a way that wouldn't offend anyone. I read the article, and the other poster had it right. Even when I read it, it didn't seem that MC was being diplomatic enough. It read as slightly offensive, though I don't think she intended it to be that way.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
So, under what surname do his co-workers call Pavlos? Any ideas or clues?
According to an interview Pavlos gave a few years ago, they call him Prince or Prince Pavlos. No surname at all.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Gentry

Royal Prince Pavlos

has no 'co-workers'.The of almost equal level ,call him 'Prince' as for the His administrative line simply call Him "Your Highness"
Old 06-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Gentry

can someone please post the Vogue article... The magazine is not available here in Canada..

Thanks,
Queens

Closed Thread