Prince Constantine-Alexios ('Tino') (b 1998) and hunting

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wartenberg7

Heir Presumptive
City
Hamburg
Country
Germany
For some time Prince Constantine Alexios, "Tino", posts proudly pics of himself shooting, rifles and bullets etc on his instagram.
A few days ago there was a photo of him right at the moment when a bullet tore a bird apart...! Comments go like "Great shot".... "Great photo" and so on.
I first thought I didn´t look right or he was doing clay pigeon shooting!

What do YOU think? Should an underaged teenager be allowed to do such a bloody and cruel "sport"? What´s your opinion about the parents obviously approving these actions?
I must admit, as someone who always supported and liked this family a lot, to be disgusted and shocked!

The Prince with his youngest brother and shot pheasants:

Tino @alexiosgreece | Websta (Webstagram)

Last edited:
We have different views about hunting (I suppose he's shooting animals) which I think is a noble sport. So, I see no problem with a young man as Prince Constatino hunting.

Last edited:
As Cris M has already pointed out, we all have different views on hunting. I, myself, was brought up around shooting, my father, grandfather & great-grand father were all keen hunters, so I'm not really numbed by the picture you have provided.
The fact of it is, there is no longer an Greek Monarchy, and the Greek Royals themselves no longer have an official within Greece ( unlike the Serbian and Portuguese royals who have official duties in their former kingdoms), Tino isn't representing anybody, if he wishes to shoot pheasants then he may, but under adult supervision until he is of age (16). I understand you see it as "barbaric" though many royal families who no longer reign still continue sports like these, I'm not surprised the House of Glücksburg-Greece does so as well.

His Grace, The Duke

What is more barbaric? Shooting a pheasant or breeding countless chickens in farms, who never see any daylight, have almost no room to turn around and are grown in turbo-mode to see the slaughterhouse in record tempo, all to end on our plates for a bargain price? We have little to criticize the Prince for.

What is more barbaric? Shooting a pheasant or breeding countless chickens in farms, who never see any daylight, have almost no room to turn around and are grown in turbo-mode to see the slaughterhouse in record tempo, all to end on our plates for a bargain price? We have little to criticize the Prince for.

A very good point!

His Grace, The Duke

For me it´s not about representing someone or not, being royal or not. It´s a thing nobody should be allowed to do. And I´m sure at some stage, may be in 25 or 40 years, it will be prohibited alltogether just like fox hunting was!
Your remark about non-reigning royal families hunting is not true: Men from the british, danish and swedish royal families do hunt. And we all know too well about Juan Carlos´hunting "passions"....
Further more, who said that breeding chicken who are badly kept and eating them would be any better?! So, where´s the "good point" about that?! Excusing one evil with another one is not tolerable, is it?
What worries me about it is not so much the greek prince hunting, but his obvious enjoyment of showing-off killing these creatures!
I think this kind of attitude is exactly what has always and will always turn off people, who are critical about nobility or royalty anyhow, being confirmed in their prejudice!

Last edited:
I have no problem with hunting at all as long as it involves animals that will be eaten after being shot (purpose to use the meat and conserve the environment to keep population ok) and not endangered species that end up on a wall, a la Juan Carlos.

The hypocrism lies in the fact that pointing the finger towards a hunter is okay and then we forget to point the finger to ourselves, mass consumers and indirect responsible for animal cruelty. My shoes, the cover of my tablet, my belt, the sofa on which I am sitting, the chairs in my car, all are made of leather coming from animals who have not asked to be slaughtered for my pleasure. I understand the point regarding the Greek royal but there is an enormous hypocrisy in it.

...I think this kind of attitude is exactly what has always and will always turn off people, who are critical about nobility or royalty anyhow, being confirmed in their prejudice!
I understand what you mean, to many the sport can be seen as outdated and ruthless though as one person has already commented, is it not more ruthless to shove a load of chickens in a dark room and slaughter them, if an human was treated in such a way there would be outrage and it likely would go against human rights.

As you can see many royals, both reigning and non-reigning, seem to enjoy their little fair share of shooting animals, I'm not saying its right, but that's what they've been brought up around.

LadyFinn's photographs of him drinking is, in my opinion, more worrying than supervised shooting, though if he doesn't want to get criticism for it he shouldn't post those pictures in Instegram.

His Grace, The Duke

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem with Prince Constantine Alexios hunting pheasant with his family as no doubt the meat will be consumed.

I do feel he identifies more as a London rich kid about town drinking and showing off his lifestyle than a young European prince.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

For certain animals it is allowed to hunt them, for a specific time of the year, to keep the population in a certain area in check.
Someone has to do this, and i'd prefer it to be done by someone who is really skilled (someone who ends up more often wounding the animals instead of killing them instantly, should not be allowed to hunt imo)

I'm not a fan of hunting, but i'm not a vegetarian either, so the meat i eat has been killed by someone; i can only hope that the life and death of the animal has been as painless possible (that goes for "wild" meat as well as "farmed" meat).

To be a skilled hunter, i'm sure that you have to train a lot, and at some point a person has to use the skill "for real"; so i can just hope that every hunter (including this prince) takes their job seriously and with respect, and that they also learn to stop hunting when their skills fail (and of that last part i'm not so sure that it is regulated, so i fear there might be several people who hunt, because it's "the norm" in their society or for the kick of it, but who don't have the skills)

Last edited:
...LadyFinn's photographs of him drinking is, in my opinion, more worrying than supervised shooting, though if he doesn't want to get criticism for it he shouldn't post those pictures in Instegram.
It´s not so much a 16-year-old young man I criticize, it´s rather his environment he has been raised in to perform this kind of actions.
Modern parents should educate their children in treating all creatures with dignity and respect, as friends who share this planet with this (cruel) human race instead of taking pictures of a bird in the act of being torn apart!
This is a shame and absolutely disgraceful and I´m very disappointed of Pavlos and Marie-Chantal, a couple I always cherished and held in high regard!

Please don´t always repeat the example of 1000s of doomed animals who are killed daily only to satisfy mans lust for meat as I don´t eat it. In fact I even find eating animals bred for mere industrial reasons even more horrid and pervert than hunting. But this doesn´t mean I approve hunting!

If the prince´s drinking alcohol is more worrying I cannot say. At least here he just harms himself and the parents have to decide wether he´s allowed or not, while shooting means he destroys lifes!

:previous:
Well, what did you expect? Though, I seriously doubt Marie-Chantal has anything to do with the hunting, she grew up in an city, I doubt she knows even how to load of gun. This is not a reason to drop the couple out of good regard, just because they let their child do one thing that you do not agree with, regardless of how horrible you see it as.

His Grace, The Duke

I also never had a gun / rifle in my hand (heaven forbid) and grew up and live in a city. But you can be very certain that this would not prevend me from forbidding my child to kill animals!
I think I´m a very tolerate person. But when it comes to harm others or another species, in my opinion a delicate line has been crossed!

...I think I´m a very tolerate person. But when it comes to harm others or another species, in my opinion a delicate line has been crossed!
And that is your opinion :)

His Grace, The Duke

He's an aristocrat. He's taking part in an aristocratic pursuit. Later on (if he hasn't already) he'll be blooded in a German forest when he shoots his first boar or buck (as I believe William and Harry were). This is their world, and for their caste it is natural, for some a rite of passage. If he were hunting Panda or Pygmy elephants or Orang-utans, that would be quite a different matter.

I'm a carnivore although am against hunting in general, and the only time when I find it acceptable is if there is no other food resource available (ie. if one was in a remote forest and pheasants were some of the only edible items around), which is not the case for Prince Consantine Alexios so I don't approve of his hunting hobby. I do think that posting photos of dead animals on Instagram and 'showing them off' almost is a little uncalled for.

I do understand that it is a traditional hobby for royals and aristocrats to have though – I know that the Danish Royal Family enjoy hunting and IIRC hold an event for it in the grounds of one of their palaces, and I've also heard that some members of the British Royal Family like to hunt at Balmoral. However I have a middle class suburban background, so of course I haven't grown up with hunting for pleasure, but if I was then I'm sure I would have different points of views on the whole thing. I also have a few friends and relatives who are vegetarians/vegans, so they probably have some influence in my opinion too.

He's an aristocrat. He's taking part in an aristocratic pursuit. Later on (if he hasn't already) he'll be blooded in a German forest when he shoots his first boar or buck (as I believe William and Harry were). This is their world, and for their caste it is natural, for some a rite of passage. If he were hunting Panda or Pygmy elephants or Orang-utans, that would be quite a different matter.

That´s what I call double-standards: One life is more "important" than another one... deer, pheasants etc. want to live as much as a Panda bear wants it! What gives mankind the right to decide who´s worthful enough to live and who not?!
By the way, he´s not an aristocrat, he´s royal (aristocrats = counts, barons, marquesses). But in both groups there are people against hunting, too. I remember an episode Princess Dianas friend Rosa Monckton once reported about her royal friend, who wanted to reach her sons who were holidaying with their father in Balmoral. William and Harry were not home, so after her call in the scottish castle the Princess said something like "Oh, they´re out with their father, murdering animals again!"

Last edited:
More than his hunting, he and the beer bottles are questionable. Photos taken at the holiday in Bahamas.
http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/...-15/10546716_350709511751382_1339613286_n.jpg
http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/...-15/10576029_1441432902806113_855992990_n.jpg

The drinking age in Bahamas is 18 years but it is badly enforced.

I'm disappointed seeing these photos. Not the hunting photos but the photos of these very young boys apparently consuming alcohol. They both look like eurotrash and I can see them in a few years having bar fights, ala Pierre Casarighi. I'm disappointed because their mother always seemed like a sensible type and a concerned mother. Guess I was wrong.

As for the hunting . . . I have no problem with people hunting for animals that they eat but I have a real problem with people who hunt big game in Africa or India (or wherever). I have been a guest in homes that have animal heads on the wall and the host is so proud of what they've done. I have to bite my tongue and try not to say anything. It's hard but I just make sure I never accept another invitation to that house.

I think I´m a very tolerate person. But when it comes to harm others or another species, in my opinion a delicate line has been crossed!

So, I'm assuming you are a vegetarian or vegan. Good for you. However, as mentioned, there are millions of animals killed for food everyday and this meat is eaten by billions of people. The people who do the killing, processing and distribution of this food are not horrible people; they are doing a job that benefits everyone. I understand you are sensitive about seeing birds shot but that's just life and you need to get over yourself and be tolerant of the choices of others.

So, I'm assuming you are a vegetarian or vegan. Good for you. However, as mentioned, there are millions of animals killed for food everyday and this meat is eaten by billions of people. The people who do the killing, processing and distribution of this food are not horrible people; they are doing a job that benefits everyone. I understand you are sensitive about seeing birds shot but that's just life and you need to get over yourself and be tolerant of the choices of others.

So writes the poster who just expressed intolerance over the choices of others in her previous posting. :whistling:

People are just going to have to accept that he's young and want's to do these kind of things, whether we like it or not. Shooting in some people's eyes is barbaric and others simply don't care, but as an Non-Reigning Royal Family they do not get the same kind of scrutiny as the Windsor's or Orange-Nassau's. And as already stated, there are many reigning royal houses that do hunt and still are very popular... they are royalty and are doing what their ancestors have been doing for centuries, though I feel Tino identity's himself as an rich upper class Londoner rather than European Royalty, this is probably down to the normal upbringing his parents gave him and resulted in making friends with people who are rich rather than royal.

His Grace, The Duke

Well, I dare to assume the animal being killed "sees" it quite differently....
The animal just wanted to live as long as possible; but the human being decided "No, I say your time´s up now because I say it is!"
Everyone with only a little bit of humanity and emotions inside of him/ her should start getting very uncomfortable thinking about that! If one don´t, well...

And DON`T teach me anything about tolerance! Someone who supports these actions shouldn´t take the word "tolerance" in his/ her mouth!

I can repeat again and again and again.... that the killing of millions of animals for food everyday doesn´t make killing animals at a hunt any better. An evil can never be an excuse for another one.

"they are doing a job that benefits everyone"
Do you really believe yourself what you are stating here?!?

Last edited:
I like eating "animals". Either fish, eggs or even meat, I think there's a need in society to eat animals, they have good protein.

HOWEVER, I'm against killing animals for hobbies, just for the freaking pleasure. Now that is a horrible thing to do. I doubt people who kill animals to eat "enjoy" doing that. In this case, it looks like a hobby to me and sorry for that I can't tolerate, and yes it benefits, not me and not everyone but their stupid pleasure. Poor animals :(

I think that as long as he is doing it in a proper and legal manner (not hunting things that are out of season, for instance), it is perfectly fine for him to do.

Although I don't hunt myself, I have plenty of friends and family who do. They don't hunt because they love killing animals and making them suffer. In fact, they work very hard to hit the animal in a place where it will be killed instantly and with little or no suffering. They only hunt animals that are in season, and they have a great appreciation for the beauty and majesty of the creatures that they hunt.

What many people don't realize is that hunting is a form of population control for the animals, too.

I grew up in an area of the US where there is a large population of white tail deer. You can't drive along the highway without seeing a deer that has been hit by a car. Occasionally, people are killed or seriously injured by car/deer collisions. Without any population control, the numbers of deer would be out of control and become too many animals for the land to support. More would get struck by car and die painfully deaths since they often only break a leg when hit by a car, the food supply would become scare and many would die from starvation.

The legal hunting season is in the fall where a hunter needs a license to take only one deer. The deer is used as food and not left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I grew up in an area of the US where there is a large population of white tail deer. You can't drive along the highway without seeing a deer that has been hit by a car. Occasionally, people are killed or seriously injured by car/deer collisions. Without any population control, the numbers of deer would be out of control and become too many animals for the land to support. More would get struck by car and die painfully deaths since they often only break a leg when hit by a car, the food supply would become scare and many would die from starvation.

No security deer fences in the US for safety of man and animal?!

Back
Top Bottom