Marie-Chantal's Languages and Accent

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgl

Heir Apparent
City
~
Country
United States
This may sound like an unnecessary or trivial question, but I have never heard Marie-Chantal speak. I know that she was born in England to an American father and an Ecuardorian mother, raised in Hong Kong, educated in Switzerland and the States. I know that English is her primary language, and that she is fluent in French. Does she have an American accent or a British accent? I was just curious. I would imagine that Crown Prince Pavlos has a British accent, but I could be mistaken. Does anyone have the answer?

....and does she speak Greek now ??? I'd love to know

I have read on this board that she tried to learn Greek, but gave it up. I don't believe that she has resumed her Greek lessons. It is a shame. She obviously has the ability to learn other languages. Maybe she will try again. In my opinion, she should speak the language of the country she "represents", especially since her husband's family would like to regain their throne. I am really curious to hear what her voice sounds like.

Does anyone know of any links to interviews that may be found online? I would also be curious to hear Crown Prince Pavlos in an interview.

Don't know about a link to hearing Pavlos, but I recall hearing him around the time of his wedding, and he spoke with a British accent. Nicholaos and Anne-Marie had similar accents.

I noticed recently that the website with Theodora's acting resume says that she speaks with the high-toned British "Received Pronunciation." (She can also do other accents.)

Don't know about a link to hearing Pavlos, but I recall hearing him around the time of his wedding, and he spoke with a British accent. Nicholaos and Anne-Marie had similar accents.

I noticed recently that the website with Theodora's acting resume says that she speaks with the high-toned British "Received Pronunciation." (She can also do other accents.)

Thank you, Kalnel. Do you know about Marie-Chantal?

Hello SGL, some day I posted a link (post 58 in thread current events n°4) to a Martha Stewart show where MC spoke about Valentino. But I think they removed the video. Anyway to me (I'm French, so, not the best to know) MC had a slight American accent.
There is also a video from 2004 about Prince Frederic from Denmark. Pavlos and MC are being interviewed as cousins of the groom. But I never saw the video, maybe it is on You tube or something like that.

Merci, Sita!

Years ago on the Miller Sisters message board, we had a link to an interview with MC. Her accent was American, not too strong. I couldn't even begin to tell you where it was from, it was such a long time ago. But definitely American at that time.:)

Thank you, Helen!:flowers:

During the broadcast of Frederik´s wedding in Danish TV they had a short interview with MC and Pavlos where they talked about their own wedding. MC´s accent is definitely very american. (By the way: Pavlos was sitting next to her and I had the feeling that he´s henpecked of her...;)) His accent is more British IMO. He´s got a very smooth and male voice. Very sexy....

During the broadcast of Frederik´s wedding in Danish TV they had a short interview with MC and Pavlos where they talked about their own wedding. MC´s accent is definitely very american. (By the way: Pavlos was sitting next to her and I had the feeling that he´s henpecked of her...;)) His accent is more British IMO. He´s got a very smooth and male voice. Very sexy....

I think he is so sexy. She is the luckiest woman! Imagine coming home to him every night! Lucky, lucky girl.

haha, sgl, you might be right but I do think any people can have more difficult moments in their couple, especially when they are good looking and famous and rich like Pavlos and MC (more temptations to look elsewhere, obviously). So I really do admire them for having succeeded (for the moment, let's hope for ever) to stand firm as a united family. It is such a great example for those who believe in happiness through family life and marriage.
Anyway, my dictionnary has reached its limits : can someone explain what Stefanie means by "henpecked" ?

I think (I could be wrong, but this is how I have always heard the term) that 'henpecked' means that the woman is overly-controlling of the man. It is a term that is used to say that the man has no say whatsoever in the relationship, and that the woman has total control over him-from everything to his mannerisms, to his friends and the way he lives his daily life.

I hope that this answers your question Sita! I am curious, is there a French term for men who have been 'henpecked'? I would love to know, and I would love to tease my husband by saying it to him (I always joke with him that I am in complete control of him):)

Hello sgl, thank you for the explanation. In french we would say that the wife "porte la culotte" (she wears the pants), but I must say I find this very un-elegant, all the more as it means in a way that a man with a firm tempered wife is not really a man anymore as he has no more pants (sophisticated, humm ?) As if there could be only one pair of pants in a couple...modern days have their good sides. :flowers:
As for our favorite couple, I do not think that she overpowered him, she simply made him blossom like it is written in Vanity Fair. We read also in an interview last year that she considers that a man looks for a "good copilot" in life. So she does not hide that she takes part to decisions, but she considers they share, she's not the centre of everything, and I think that's how it goes. And if so, I like it very much. Very modern, very me, maybe very you sgl ? ;)

Sita, you and I think alike! My father is Italian and very traditional. He was clearly the dominant person in our household. As a result of this, I grew up determined to have an equal relationship where decisions were made by both partners, and both husband and wife had their own pairs of pants. I admire Marie-Chantal and Pavlos. They are the true definition of the modern couple. It is beautiful to see their relationship grow and thrive. They are an excellent example for couples today.

I saw a video of her introducing her clothing line back in the day, and she has no British accent at all. Pavlos does a have slight one however. Her accent is very American. I didn't really catch that she had even an American accent. She spoke with a New York accent if that helps.

As for the henpecking - when you are the daugter of a rich rich man and daddy is paying for most of your marrige expenses, then I believe she might be henpecking, but, who am I to say.

MC does not have a New York accent at all. Fran Drescher, Rosie O'Donnell and Penny Marshall have NY accents.

I saw a video of her introducing her clothing line back in the day, and she has no British accent at all. Pavlos does a have slight one however. Her accent is very American. I didn't really catch that she had even an American accent. She spoke with a New York accent if that helps.

As for the henpecking - when you are the daugter of a rich rich man and daddy is paying for most of your marrige expenses, then I believe she might be henpecking, but, who am I to say.

MC like a lot of people who lived in a lot of countries while growing up, have an accent that usually is very difficult to "pin down"
I do not think her accent is N Y. Definitely not southern accent and more eastern establishment.
With regard to papa paying the bills, I tend to agree.......the person who holds the purse strings has more say. At least she leaves no doubt about it.

Marie- Chantal definitely doesn't have the typical New York City accent,which is working-class in origin.Ages ago,the very wealthy New Yorkers(think Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and her sister Lee Radziwill who were/are holdouts and their step brothers Jamie and Louis Auchincloss)had their own particular way of talking--more Continental than anything.

Misselle, a lot of upper crust New Yorkers would be upset reading your post .....LOL There are a lot of well bred people who live in New York and do not sound "working class". Perhaps you refer to immigrants who may sound like a movie cast but they exist all over.
New York being what it is there is no "typical" accent for the long term residents of Jackie and Lee's kind of roots. MC has not resided anywhere long enough to acquire a "local" accent.

I was just watching International House Hunters last night and it featured a woman looking for a condo in Hong Kong. Listening to her I noticed she spoke a lot like Marie Chantal and Alexandra. I wonder if English-speaking people in Hong Kong have a distinctive way of speaking? If so, it would make sense for Marie Chantal to be influenced by that somewhat as they essentially grew up there. Does anyone know how Countess Alexandra speaks English? I believe she grew up in Hong Kong as well and speaks English among other languages.

About henpecking

You've got a point!:lol:

I remember MC stating that her Greek would be fine until the wedding....it seems that she didn't go too far after the "big day"...lol

I am still waiting to hear that she has resumed her Greek lessons.:whistling:

I am still waiting to hear that she has resumed her Greek lessons.:whistling:

I have no clue. I doubt she will even try to pretend.
On a different note, I just received the November issue of Vanity Fair and there was a letter to the editor by a very irate Greek who was pertrubed by the magazine's titles bestowed upon MC and Pavlos....

I've heard she speaks French and Italian. I have to note the article didn't say she spoke her Mothers' native tongue.
I remember one woman writing in to W mag complaining about MC saying she is not "of" Greece because they no longer have a monarchy.

I never heard she spoke Italian. This is news to me.
I remember that Feta is of Greece and MC she is not of Greece...LOL
Today it was a different one..:whistling:

If MC doesn't speak proper Greek, to me that is rather rude and unpolite towards her inlaws. Even though it is highly unlikely that Greece will ever restore the Monarchy, the least she could have done to show some respect is to learn it. The fact that her father is a billionaire and is probably singlehandedly financing the Greek RF does not change that.

Well, considering she doesn't live in Greece, her in-laws probably speak better English than Greek and that the Greek throne will never be restaured I don't think it is such an insult. And as a working mother of 5 you just have so much time of course.

Back
Top Bottom