The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 04-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: , France
Posts: 90
Marie-Chantal: Opinions

Does she have a title?
what do you think of her?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Victoria1999's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 108
I know that she is a crown princess.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 40
I don't think she has the right to the title. The family is exiled from Greece, and the country now a republic. I don't quite understand why everyone still refers to her as "Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece". I recall reading a letter to Vogue about how, when magazines refer to her as such, its a disrespect to Greeks. I totally agree.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-07-2005, 03:53 AM
cute_girl's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyonthewall
I don't think she has the right to the title. The family is exiled from Greece, and the country now a republic. I don't quite understand why everyone still refers to her as "Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece". I recall reading a letter to Vogue about how, when magazines refer to her as such, its a disrespect to Greeks. I totally agree.
I totaly agree,I think she's been spoiled
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Splodger's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , United Kingdom
Posts: 154
There are only ten families in Europe who are constitutionaly able to use royal titles (Belgium Denmark, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden & The UK). ALL other Princes and Kings use their royal titles by 'curtesy' of those who alow them in recognition of their families past. King Constantine and the members of his family ceased to be constitutionaly royal in 1974, however it is the custom of deposed monarchs who have either not abdicated or have been forced to abdicate illegaly (e.g. King Michael of Romania) to continue to use their previous titles for the rest of their life (you could look upon this as a divorced woman who retains her former husbands surname unless she specificaly changes it or re-marries). Therefore the GRF use of their royal titles is by an established international custom. If by personal feelings anyone does not wish to extend this curtesy to them, they should also refrain from refering to any deposed royal family by their royal titles... the Greeks do not have a monopoly on being offended if that is the case as France & Germany to name but a handfull are also all republics.

As for Princess Marie-Chantel or perhaps Mrs Marie-Chantel de Greece, whilst her photograph appears in society magazines, and HELLO & VANITY FAIR have produced light weight interviews with her, we as a public do not know a great deal about her. It is therefore unfair to judge the woman with any cast iron opinion. She may not behave like a princess and visit Red Cross centres on a frequent basis however as a deposed princess she is neither required nore in a position to do so. Being married to a family exiled from their home she can hardley do charitable work in Greece as many other non-ruling royal families do in their home countries. Marie-Chantel has had the privilaged background to financialy establish her self in industry at the top as oposed to crawling through the ranks, however this does not neccesserily make her lazy - as any mere commoner will use any advantage they have. The Millers have money, more money than the GRF, and if she buys a new dress every week, this is not being spoilt, this is spending what is hers to spend... the same can be said commoners who holiday twice a year as oposed to once a year or not at all... you make the most of your situation. There is no specific evidence to justifiably class her as spoilt or unfit to be a princess... she speaks several languages, however I am sure when she was at school it didnt cross her mind she should learn Greek instead of French and half way through her life she has a disadvantage that she is 'required' to learn a very difficult language (I know) when she only has her in-laws to teach her as unlike Anne-Marie she has not been able to emerce her self in Athenian society.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,083
Are their children titled?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: , France
Posts: 90
In my opinion, it is just a matter of doing important stuff for the community instead of appearing as a socialite. How unsignificant!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,046
She has nice blonde hair.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2005, 06:18 PM
ap3's Avatar
ap3 ap3 is offline
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 315
Splodger, I totally agree with your very fair and balanced view of the situation. M-C may not spend all her time following in the "good works" footsteps we like our royalty to follow (like Princess Diana who was pictured with babies, etc., every chance she got - and was loved for it). But being rich and titled doesn't make her a bad person. I know I wish I was rich and titled!

She obviously likes the fame which comes with her position, since she gives Hello etc interviews, but so do alot of people for a variety of personal and professional reasons which may have little to do with anything "significant". We're talking Hello magazine!

She's very pretty and dresses beautifully. Since her family doesn't get any money from the Greeks or anyone else, it's no one's business how she spends her money.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 705
I don't think there is anything wrong with being rich or titled. It's about what you do with those riches and that title that ultimately count.

Marie Chantal seems to have been extremely blessed on both these counts: her father is a self-made man who lavished upon his three daughters the best education and holidays and other riches that life could offer. Then she married Crown Prince Pavlos who through their marriage provided her with a title but none of the duties, obligations or restrictions her other "counter parts" have to deal with such as actually carrying out royal duties in compliance with their title.

Marie-Chantal has the luxury of picking and choosing the charities she most cares about to devote her attention and money to, unlike some of the reigning princesses who may have to work with some charities they aren't as interested in. Yet Marie-Chantal doesn' seem to do much. More often you see her posing in VOGUE or HELLO or sitting in the front row of fashion shows.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-08-2005, 07:24 AM
RoseMary's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 150
I think M-C tends to lean toward the fame and limelight grabbing. She is involved in charities and such. But as a Princess people compare her to Mary, deceased Diana and other Princesses who seem to do more. She may be more involved than we think with charities. As long as she is doing what she wants and is an example to her children, especially her only daughter I say go for it.
__________________
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Isabel's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The, United States
Posts: 449
I agree that how she spends her money since clearly none of it comes from the Greek government is no one's business. I know that I don't want anyone telling me what I can and cannot buy with my money.

However, I disagree with the assessment that Marie Chantal can't work for the people of Greece or help those who need to be helped because the GRF is in exile. Millions of people around the world raise money for charities that are not menat to benefit their own countries. For instance look at the effort being made around the world to help the victims of the tsunami in Asia. The money is going to Asia and many of the people who are making donations and having fundraisers have never even been to Asia or some of these countries and don't plan on going. However, they are helping from a distance, a long distance. Marie Chantal can help many people in Greece along with other members of the GRF much more if they chose to do so. They simply don't and I think that hard feelings and being in exile prevail in many instances.
__________________
"Always do what you are afraid to do."
- R.W. Emerson
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseMary
I think M-C tends to lean toward the fame and limelight grabbing. She is involved in charities and such. But as a Princess people compare her to Mary, deceased Diana and other Princesses who seem to do more. She may be more involved than we think with charities.
I agree as well that whatever money she spends isn't an issue. But about her being involved in charities? Well, since she has never really shied away from publicity (though to her credit, she doesn't agressively seek it either), and yet, I have not come across any article about her involvement with any charities, I can only assume that she doesn't spend much, if any, time on things like that. I may be wrong, of course.

Not being a "real" princess, she doesn't have any real obligation to do things that other royals do (promote their country, raise awareness on issues and stuff like that). So, even if she doesn't do any of that, she is certainly not doing anything wrong. However, living as a mere socialite may not endear her to others. But I don't think she's after that, anyway.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-11-2005, 06:03 AM
Splodger's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , United Kingdom
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I understand that Marie Chantal did receive private tutorage to learn Greek, but as she learned it as an adult and as Greek is one of the more difficult languages to speak no matter when you learn it, she does not speak it very well. I think that she can hold a simple conversation but no one would say that she speaks it fluently.

Unlike Mary and Alexandra who both learned Danish, or Maxima who learned Dutch upon their new roles, there was no real "push" for Marie Chantal to learn to speak Greek fluently. She does not need to make speeches as these other women do in their roles as princesses of reigning monarchies. And at the time of her marriage to Pavlos, the Greek royal family was not even permitted back into Greece. Now that they are and visit Greece often, with so many Greek people speaking English, Marie Chantal would certainly not experience any problems getting about the country or getting what she needs simply because she doesn't speak Greek.
Alexandria has been able to express what i was trying to say far more clearley. MC does speak a little greek but there is a total difference in learning to speak any language by tuition alone from either your family or a tutor as oposed to being emerced in an enviroment where everyone speaks the language.

With regards to being a princess and doing charitable works, she is active in the Anna-Maria foundation, however it appears she has chosen to devot her life to building a career as oposed to being a Crown Princess of a country she could not enter for a long time and may never have any official involvement in... If the Greeks chose never to recognise the GRF with either a constitutional status or as a special representative (eg Serbia) status, then the family will have to find alternative roles in life. Whilst I am sure Constantine has a healthy investment portfolio, with an ever increasing family to support, Pavlos' share will need suplementing. We seem to criticise MC for not behaving like a Princess and yet dont expect her to be Royal as the monarchy is deposed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-11-2005, 07:53 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splodger
..... We seem to criticise MC for not behaving like a Princess and yet dont expect her to be Royal as the monarchy is deposed.
Well said .... A lot of people on other boards discuss and criticise MC like they personally know her... Its ok to gossip and talk about rumours ... but personally attacking ones character..... not good...

thats my 2 cents anyways....

Queens
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Fashionista100's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 779
One thing to remember is that Marie Chantal was brought up to act in a very high class way. To some people it is considered snobbish. Never having met her I cannot comment on her personality. If you read about the school LeRosey she attended, they have a certain standard of conduct they expect of people. You can see that in some of her interviews. I know people have thought I am a bit unfriendly b/c I don't talk all the time like most Americans. But I prefer to be quiet. I hate people who can't shut up because talking all the time drives me nuts. But I would say anything bad about the person. I have also been accused of looking mean. I have really high cheekbones and full lips, and sometimes crinkle my brow when I am thinking. So people assume that I am scowling. So I understand how people can jump to conclusions based on how you look.

I also believe Marie Chantal has been on several boards when she lived in New York of different charities. Now she has 4 children, even with a nanny I'm sure she wants to be with them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splodger
With regards to being a princess and doing charitable works, she is active in the Anna-Maria foundation, however it appears she has chosen to devot her life to building a career as oposed to being a Crown Princess of a country she could not enter for a long time and may never have any official involvement in... If the Greeks chose never to recognise the GRF with either a constitutional status or as a special representative (eg Serbia) status, then the family will have to find alternative roles in life. Whilst I am sure Constantine has a healthy investment portfolio, with an ever increasing family to support, Pavlos' share will need suplementing. We seem to criticise MC for not behaving like a Princess and yet dont expect her to be Royal as the monarchy is deposed.
Yes, that is the problem, for me anyway. She is often referred to as a "Princess", but yet does not act like one. I don't mean to say that she bahaves disgracefully or anything like that. There has never been any embarrassing/scandalous news about her as far as I know. Its just that she lives just like a socialite. She doesn't do the "work" we expect from royals. But the fact is that she is just a socialite, and not a royal, not officially anyway. And she certainly doesn't fall short as a socialite. But when magazines and other media keep referring to her as a princess, well, there are expectations that come with such a title. But her title isn't "real"....so....well....

There was a post recently in the bad-tempered princess thread about MC yelling at someone who did not refer to her as a princess. I don't know if that comes from a reputable source, but if it does, it certainly does not reflect well on her.

About her career, what does she do? I think I read an article in vogue about her starting a childrens' clothing company a few yrs ago. Does anyone know anything about this?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens
Well said .... A lot of people on other boards discuss and criticise MC like they personally know her... Its ok to gossip and talk about rumours ... but personally attacking ones character..... not good...

thats my 2 cents anyways....

Queens
Well, we're here to discuss royals (and ex royals ). I'm just expressing my opinion, and it just happens my opinion of MC isn't all that positive. But I don't think negative opinions should be construed as an attack. This is a discussion thread afterall, not a let's-just-say-praises-for-this-person thread. None of us know any of the people we discuss about in this forum personally, but its ok to post adoring comments on someone that you don't know, but not ok to have a not-very-good opinion on these public figures?

I freely admit that whatever impression I have of MC is entirely based on magazines and other media. And thus, there is, of course, a huge possibility that she is an entirely different person than what I, or anyone else here, think she is.

And for the post below, no, my impressions of MC are not based on how she looks at all. I don't think she looks snobbish. Just a little old sometimes. She has pretty good fashion sense though. Her dresses never make me go "Wow!", but she can always be counted on to look presentable and graceful.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyonthewall
Well, we're here to discuss royals (and ex royals ). I'm just expressing my opinion, and it just happens my opinion of MC isn't all that positive. But I don't think negative opinions should be construed as an attack. This is a discussion thread afterall, not a let's-just-say-praises-for-this-person thread. None of us know any of the people we discuss about in this forum personally, but its ok to post adoring comments on someone that you don't know, but not ok to have a not-very-good opinion on these public figures?
......
I was not reffering to people on this board... it was the other boards like http://princessmariechantal.tripod.com/ ... which attack her character + family..

I also gossip too. ... with my good and bad comments....

toddles,
Q
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100
Now she has 4 children, even with a nanny I'm sure she wants to be with them.
She actually has at least four nannies including a night nanny. If she wants to spend time with them then why all the help?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Education of the children of Pavlos and Marie-Chantal kate bromley Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 86 02-26-2014 03:23 PM
Marie Chantal, Crown Princess Pavlos Jewellery USCtrojan Royal Jewels 256 08-29-2013 01:42 AM
Prince Alexander von Fürstenberg and Alexandra Miller (1995) Julia Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility 49 09-25-2011 08:21 PM
It's a 4th boy for Marie-Chantal, June 29 2008 Princess Robijn Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 130 09-12-2008 03:17 PM
Do you think Marie-Chantal has helped her in-laws financially? Duquesita Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 13 02-11-2008 12:23 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander norway palace picture thread pom pregnancy prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim prince laurent princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess annette princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess marilene princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sheikh state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]