The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Crown Prince Pavlos and MC were voted one of the International Best Dressed couples. Queen Rania was second only to Kate Moss as best dressed woman. Prince Ernst August of Hanover and Prince Williams of England were voted to the mens list.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:09 AM
Courtier

I really dont like Marie Chantal:( Last year it was a interwiew of here and husband Pavlos on tv, and she was sooo arrogant and she looks so angry on everybody. But I admirer one thing about MC, and that is her style in clothes:)

Old 08-11-2006, 10:34 PM

Marie Chantal

I know that she has had quite a world wide upbringing, but prior to her marriage, did was she in fact American? I believe her father has taken up British citizenship. And does she hold a Greek passport now or Danish, like many of the Greek royal family? Lastly, because her first three children were born in the US, what citizenship do they hold?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by plseyw
I know that she has had quite a world wide upbringing, but prior to her marriage, did was she in fact American? I believe her father has taken up British citizenship. And does she hold a Greek passport now or Danish, like many of the Greek royal family? Lastly, because her first three children were born in the US, what citizenship do they hold?
MC said in her recent Vogue interview that she considered herself American, whether or not she has American citizenship hasn't been stated. I've read that her father infact became a British citizen before she was born, and she was born in London which would make her a British citizen ( Dual citizenship doesn't seem to be allowed by the US) All the Greek royals hold Danish passports, the Greek government won't allow them Greek passports as they won't state a surname. US citizenship laws allow any child born in the US to have US citizenship so therefore her 3 oldest children have US citizenship.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atene
I really dont like Marie Chantal:( Last year it was a interwiew of here and husband Pavlos on tv, and she was sooo arrogant and she looks so angry on everybody. But I admirer one thing about MC, and that is her style in clothes:)
Can you elaborate on why she came across as arrogant? What did she say, how did she react, etc etc? I'm willing to believe someone is arrogant, but only if you provide some examples that underline what you mean
Old 08-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Serene Highness

I think MC appears arrogant in her pictures. Maybe it's just that blonde ice-princess thing (a la Grace Kelly in her Hitchcock movies) that gives her that impression. It's not to say she's actually arrogant, but she can look that way. And I think ppl naturally assume she is because of her family's wealth and the fact she's married into (exiled) royalty. I remember reading an article about her - and I don't recall which publication it was - shortly after her marriage where it was revealed she insists upon being addressed HRH or "Princess". I remember ppl laughing about that one as she really has no country to reign as a princess and any titles she was bestowed at her marriage are courtesy titles. Anyhow, I think that was pretty much where the whole arrogant thing began with her.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Aristocracy

I think MC is well-educated,well-dressed,talented.She does look like she is very self-contained;I've read that she might be shy and that can come across as being arrrogant.She does strike me as being pretty confident.
I know that her father is American,but wasn't she born somewhere else...was it Hong Kong?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Marie Chantal was actually born in London.

And yes, sometimes people who have strong, confident personalities can come across as arrogrant. Sometimes I think we imagine that those who live a certain lifstyle, travel abroad a lot, with a lot of money act a certain way. We, project our issues or assumptions on how they act or should act on them. Think about this...she has grown up with money and has the eyes of the world on her...its probably hard for her to make new friends (hence the standoffish, ice maiden image). I know if I would in her shoes, I would act that way as well. Do they like me because my family has billions or because I married a Prince. Or do they want to be friends with Marie Chantal. That's probably why she is close to her siblings, people she went to school with and friends of Pavlos.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189

And yes, sometimes people who have strong, confident personalities can come across as arrogrant. Sometimes I think we imagine that those who live a certain lifstyle, travel abroad a lot, with a lot of money act a certain way. We, project our issues or assumptions on how they act or should act on them. Think about this...she has grown up with money and has the eyes of the world on her...its probably hard for her to make new friends (hence the standoffish, ice maiden image). I know if I would in her shoes, I would act that way as well. Do they like me because my family has billions or because I married a Prince. Or do they want to be friends with Marie Chantal. That's probably why she is close to her siblings, people she went to school with and friends of Pavlos.
I completely agree with this statement. I've mentioned this before, but a few years ago, MC was interviewed (unfortunately I forgot the publication) and she was asked why the family left New York. She mentioned the family events and ceremonies that they missed in Europe, but she also made a curious statement that unfortunately the interviewer did not follow up on. She stated that especially after 9/11, New York had become weird. She described New York society as one that looks constantly over your shoulders and wags their finger at disapproval if you are not attending enough charity events or if you are not on the right board of directors. She sensed a great deal of anxiety and tension in the atmosphere, so she wanted to be free of all that pressure. Actually, she stated that she really wanted to reside in Paris but Pavlos wanted to be in London with his family. So yes, MC does have a bit of an attitude, but I don't blame her. As someone born and bred in New York, I can tell you that this is a tough town to live in and I too have longed to leave for greener and less anxious pasture.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189

Well said! I also wonder if Marie-Chantal is, by nature, a more introverted and private person. She certainly does not seem to be overly extroverted and think it must be difficult, if one is a naturally private person, to have to live their life in a public fishbowl.

I think she's likely protective of her children and this may also appear as a sort of arrogance. In light of her situation, that's understandable.

Because M-C does not have the same public role that other princesses do, we see much less of her. We have much less to help us form an opinion and when we do see her, it's usually at an event where she is not the central figure. I think the temptation then to project our assumptions and ideas is thus, even greater.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Aristocracy

She appears to live a very quiet and scandal-free life. Good for her!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Can you elaborate on why she came across as arrogant? What did she say, how did she react, etc etc? I'm willing to believe someone is arrogant, but only if you provide some examples that underline what you mean
Maybe she had a bad day in that interview, thats why she was so arrogant. I really dont rember what they were talking about, I only rember that I was stunned over here arrogance.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I like her. I first became aware of her in the mid-90s when she married CP Pavlos and have followed them and her sisters in magazine interviews. I thought their marriage was a cross between a fairytale and a Gilded Age arranged marriage. I've never seen them in person or seen television interviews so I can't say that MC comes across as arrogant or he's "whipped". But who could blame them? Maybe they were a true-love match. Maybe she married up and he married for money. I've heard that the Greek Royals live off of the welfare of wealthy Greek Tycoons. That money's gotta run out at some point and they probably needed a fresh infusion of cash what with the younger sibs getting ready for university soon. I think MC probably came with a large dowery and a large annual allowance from Daddy, which is why the Miller family is included in all GRF events that have nothing to do with their daughter of her kids, such as Alexia's wedding. They'll probably do everything to keep her happy because if she leaves, she takes her Daddy's money with her! And I'm not surprised her sisters' marriages didn't work out. Their husbands didn't need their cash as mush as the GRF does so they didn't have much power over them. Plus I think they were jealous of the spotlight always on MC and wanted a piece of it for themselves. That's why they following her around all the time like puppies.

As for the use of the titles.....here''s my opinion. Constantine is a King as long as he lives. He never abdicated or gave up his rights and the rights of his heirs. His son was born the Crown Prince and the woman he marries automatically becomes Crown Princess. Pavlos hasn't renounced anything either so they are entitled to their titles. Their children are entitled to the use of Prince or Princess becuase they are the children of a Prince and grandchildren to a King. If they choose not to use the title later in life that's their decision. Their children however shouldn't have titles. Whether or not they are still ruling over a country is irrelevant. I mean, Bush is still President whether I elected him or not!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Please note that this thread is about Marie-Chantal, and what people think about her.

Its not a thread about the Greek monarchy, the American presidency or anything of that nature. Its about Marie Chantal...let's try to get back on topic.

Thank you.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Following Zonk's request to keep on topic, recent posts about the legitimacy of Greek and other European royal titles have been removed.

Warren
Greek RF moderator
Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Administrator

To make it clear, this thread is called "Marie-Chantal: What do you think of her?"

Any future posts discussing Greek politics, Greek titles, European titles, the US presidency, or anything not relevant to the thread question will be removed.

There are a number of existing threads in the Greek Forum where King Constantine, the Greek Monarchy and Greek titles can be discussed.

thanks,
Warren
Greek RF moderator
Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

I like Marie-chantal or should i say the old Marie-Chantal when she acted more like a princess or wife of a corwn prince. To me, she seems stuck between being a princess & a socialite. Her past year looks also seem to me that she'd go back a few years in the way she dresses. I mean the Valentino party in Rome, she wore a barbie like dress, her other outfits seem to be abit non age appropriate. She seems more of a jet-setter. I do admire how she kept her children out of the spotlight & i do give credit for her having & working hard on her children's wear shop.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Royal Highness

I don´t know Marie Chantal in person, but from what I have seen of her and her husband and children, I think they are a modern working couple, with four lovely children. He works, she works designing children clothes and is succesful with it. Besides, she is rich by birth (which is not a sin) and if she wanted she wouldn´t do a thing. Her husband seems happy, her children are lovely and they seem to care about their children, taking them on holidays etc...She is not my favourite royal(or married to a royal), even though I do love the GRF, especially Alexia and her gorgeous children.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Aristocracy

Marie Chantal seems to be living the good life;she is from a wealthy family yet runs her own business.It appears to me that she has a good stable family life and is very happy with what she's doing.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Aristocracy

I think she was raised by two people with good values who taught MC and her two sisters that family is the most important thing. She takes a virtual beating from people because she was raised in prosperity and knows how to live the good life but I never thought that was fair.

She and Pavlos seem very happy together and their children look like very happy, very cherised children.