The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Commoner

Why is ANYONE out there waiting for Marie Chantal to do something that might fulfill their lofty expectations? Last time I checked, Marie Chantal was not obligated to report to any of us. Instead of being dissatisfied with someone else's achievements, perhaps people should channel their energies into making sure that they make something out of themselves. Anyone out there care to give us all an update?

Old 05-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I don't wish to labour this point, but what is wrong exactly with a woman "making babies" (ugly expression).

I don't understand why some contributors to these forums see little value in a woman being a good mother. Why isn't this a desirable, and successful, end in itself? Is this not "doing something", and why isn't it "enough"?

Please read my post carefully next time. If you decide to re-read it again you would have quickly realized that I had stated, "...having kids is a wonderful blessing..."

Now, that statement is quite clear, in my opinion, but if it is still unsatisfactory to you well I'm sorry.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I don't wish to labour this point, but what is wrong exactly with a woman "making babies" (ugly expression).

I don't understand why some contributors to these forums see little value in a woman being a good mother. Why isn't this a desirable, and successful, end in itself? Is this not "doing something", and why isn't it "enough"?
Well, maybe its because I'm young and a bit of a feminist, but I certainly expect a woman's role to include more than just being a mother. "Making babies" requires two parents - the dad and the mom. We expect the dad to be both a good parent as well as to have other roles life, why not the mom? Is it "enough" if a man is simply a good father, with no other role in life? How many would consider an unemployed man who simply lives off his family's wealth, doesn't care to achieve anything or contribute to society, but is a good father, a particularly "successful" person? With the kind of opportunities in education and career that females today have, why should these expectations be reversed for females?

I'm not trying to belittle the role of a mother. But just as we expect men to be more than simply father, I see no reason at all why a woman cannot be both a good mother as well as be successful in other areas of life. Unless, of course, the dad isn't doing his part in the family, and we're back to the oldies scenario, where the norm is the man brings home the bacon, and woman takes care of the kids.

In the case of MC, I certainly do not see her as being "successful", definitely not a person I would look up to. But as long as she's happy living that way, then good for her.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Nobility

I think even if they were ruling in Greece they wouldve let Prince Pavlos marry her. She comes from a close loving family, and she seems like a nice human being!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Perhaps they can say Marie Chantal has been a good and loving mother.
Isn't that enough?
She has *lots* of help, but of course that doesn't negate the fact that she might be a good and loving mother.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

I've never been a big Marie-Chantal fan, she's always struck me as being obsessed with money, appearances and very little else. She doesn't actually seem to have any real substance and is perfectly happy to revel in a title that has little meaning.
However her and Prince Pavlos seem to be happily married with a lovely family. Considering the number of Royal divorces these days then surely it's a good thing.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Serene Highness

I asked this question before but nobody answered me...boo...hoo.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:04 AM
Serene Highness

Can we please get back on topic: which is Marie-Chantal and the GREEK royal family.

Thank you.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxynia

Back to topic, M-C really strikes me as a self-serving society brat...if the monarchy were ever reinstated in Greece (which would prompt me to move immediately), she would never warm to the Greek people and vice versa. She is too cold and distant and Greeks eat people like that for breakfast. I think for her own sanity, she would be better off living life from the outside looking in...she can play at pretty pretty princess without any of the fallout. Just my thoughts.
What is the sentiment in Greece about Marie-Chantal? I have no knowledge on this matter whatsoever. But Marie-Chantal and Pavlos and their family seem to get a lot of coverage (splashy photoshoots) in the Greek-language Life & Style magazine. Is that magazine published in Greece? (It seems to me to be an equivalent to In Style Magazine or Hello! in that celebrities are often on the cover and the articles ooze syrupy goodness about them.) If it is a Greek-based magazine, I wonder if the frequent covers (two so far this year -- before Odysseas' birth and for his baptism) mean that there is an appetite in Greece for this family?

And seemingly less of an appetite for Alexia and her family or Nikolaos (whom I would've presumed a shoo-in for media coverage since he is single and good looking).
Old 07-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Serene Highness

Ouzo?? I'm curious too! Please explain!
Old 07-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Back to topic, M-C really strikes me as a self-serving society brat...if the monarchy were ever reinstated in Greece (which would prompt me to move immediately), she would never warm to the Greek people and vice versa. She is too cold and distant and Greeks eat people like that for breakfast. I think for her own sanity, she would be better off living life from the outside looking in...she can play at pretty pretty princess without any of the fallout. Just my thoughts.
I have also the feeling that MC is good for representation but would not stand a round as a real life royal (all the boring engagements, the ultra-planned travels, the reduced budget for everyday living...)
Old 07-07-2005, 11:59 AM

Alexandria, Greeks have the same aspirations as people everywhere and we love to read up on glamour and fashion and the jet-set. We may have a humble image as a country relative to the rest of Europe but we have very cosmopolitan ideals and we appreciate style and glamour. So magazines that display the high life get a lot of attention here.

But M-C herself gets attention more so as a novelty than a serious icon of style or grace or nobility. There is only a small minority in Greece that supports the idea of a monarchy, so most people look at her as just another rich girl who dresses well and has a glam life...she's a curiosity, not taken seriously.

It's like when you break up with someone that you used to date, you always wonder what their life is like and how they are getting on...you have one eye on them as a fascination, even if you would never admit it publicly. So it is with M-C and the rest of the Glucksburgs. We don't want them here, but we do want to know what they're up to even if we dont' believe half of what we read about them.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Alexandria, Greeks have the same aspirations as people everywhere and we love to read up on glamour and fashion and the jet-set. We may have a humble image as a country relative to the rest of Europe but we have very cosmopolitan ideals and we appreciate style and glamour. So magazines that display the high life get a lot of attention here.

But M-C herself gets attention more so as a novelty than a serious icon of style or grace or nobility. There is only a small minority in Greece that supports the idea of a monarchy, so most people look at her as just another rich girl who dresses well and has a glam life...she's a curiosity, not taken seriously.

It's like when you break up with someone that you used to date, you always wonder what their life is like and how they are getting on...you have one eye on them as a fascination, even if you would never admit it publicly. So it is with M-C and the rest of the Glucksburgs. We don't want them here, but we do want to know what they're up to even if we dont' believe half of what we read about them.
Very well said oxynia, being a Greek citizen I couldn't agree more with you ...
Plus, Alexandria, the "Life & Style" magazine openly supports the former greek royal family so it's only natural to devote many cover stories to them.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks oxynia and prm79 for the answers about Life & Style magazine. I didn't understand why a Greek-language magazine would put the family on the cover so frequently unless there was interest.

Have Pavlos, Marie-Chantal and their family appeared in other Greek-language or Greece-based magazines?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I was playing around on some websites and started to look into Marie-Chantal's genealogy. It turns out that we're distantly related through her father's New England ancestry.

I'm not really sure that she and I would have anything in common.

She does have attractive and well-kept children, though.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Commoner

anyone interest can check out: www.mariechantal.com. It is her website for her children's clothing line. Here is how she refers to herself: "While in New Orleans, Marie-Chantal met Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece. They were married in 1995 in the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Saint Sophia in London. She became Marie-Chantal, Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece." My husband is Greek and he is insulted anytime the former royal family refers to themselves as King or Queen, Prince or Princess of Greece. They do not like him in Greece and have run him off when he has been there. Also remember, Queen Sophia of Spain is Contantine's sister and former princess of Greece. She did not receive a warm welcome at the Olympics in Athens in 2004. My opinion is that there is a lot of bad blood between Constantine and Greece and he should just move on. The Greeks will never accept him again.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Gentry

Marie Chantal has clothing stores in London,Athens,and on Madison Avenue in New York.The baby/ children's clothes are also sold at many childrens stores all over. I understand that she comes up with many of the designs and often uses her children in the fashion shows.
As for the title,it is to never be reinstated from what I understand. Greeks do not recognize them as their royalty. She has been all over magazines since she and her sisters were young. Her kids are very cute. She seems to be a very devoted mother.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Gentry

Eeep!!

There is an MC store in Thessaloniki, Greece also...
Old 08-15-2005, 01:10 AM
Courtier

I think MC is a big part of why the Greeks will never reign again. Even if it's not true, she seems like a spoiled social climber who just enjoys the title without any sense of responsibility. MC, and her own children, the "Greek heirs," don't even speak Greek.

Constantine will never be allowed to reign because he was the one who was involved in all the controversy. Pavlos will never be allowed in because he and his wife don't seem all that committed to the Greek people. And by the time it finally gets to the next generation, they'll be so far removed from anything of their Greek past that the Greeks surely won't even give them a second glance. It's sad, but I honestly think that the Greek royal family will become like some other royal houses - still titled but with no real claim.

If only Alexia or Nikos had a chance at the throne, then the Greek people might be more interested. Both Alexia and Nik speak Greek (and Alexia teaches her children the language), both seem down-to-earth, and both are more interested in Greece than Pavlos and MC ever were. I know all the MC/Pavlos lovers will be mad at me, but that's just my honest opinion. :)
Old 08-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Gentry

Prince Pavlos and MC have special tutors for Greek language for their children too!!
Pavlos is the Royal Prince!