The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 AM
NotHRH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef
I am Greek, I live in Greece, I believe in the monarchy, I like the royal family, and it turns out for you I'm pathetic, for believe in these people. If i would comunist is possible that I would not pathetic, but I prefer be monarchy and pathetic
Stef,
I do not consider people who want the GRF restored to power in Greece as 'pathetic.' My point was that some in the GRF live in the past and they need to rid themselves of the idea that the glory days of the GRF will take place in the not-to-distant future. I am positive that this monarchy was deposed for very good reasons and grounds. They really need to realize the reality of their situation and not be looking through 'rose-colored glasses,' and their imagined glory of the restoration of a GRF is simply very 'sad' and 'pathetic' IMO!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Plymouth, United States
Posts: 1,307
Does anyone really believe that any members of the GRF truly think there is a chance that the monarchy will be restored in Greece? I'm sure it's a lingering dream, but I've always had the impression that members of the GRF are pretty realistic that the chances are slim to none, at least in Constantine's lifetime and probably Pavlos' too.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-02-2011, 03:35 AM
NotHRH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELTRANEJA
...Know greek will not change their current situation. But I think they should know it by their ancestors, were kings of Greece. This is not a legal obligation to them, this is my opinio.
I do understand your feelings about this subject. If only' s are stated all the time. If only Princess Theodora knew/would learn Greek, if only Pavlos/his children would learn Greek, etc, etc, etc............. If only I knew my grandmother's native language of Cajun French, but in reality, I do not and probably never will. My only point is - change is inevitable. Time is the measure of the way all things change and not the other way around. I know in your heart of hearts, you only want the best for your country's former royal family and only mean well toward them. It saddens me to realize you are very heart-broken that the former GRF has not taught Greek to the next generation of their family. Remember, change is inevitable - simply by the definition of 'time' itself. My heart does sincerely go out to you and I hope my comments have not saddened you further.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 PM
IloveCP's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Palm Springs, United States
Posts: 4,885
I understand that they don't know Greek since they don't live in Greece.Plus,it's not an easy langauge to learn!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-04-2011, 04:25 PM
roimat's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 159
Sorry, but not living in Greece isn't an excuse, especially for the wanna be Queen of Greece and her children. It's just a matter of priorities. Princes Pavlos and Nikolas lived abroad, but speak Greek perfectly, and also Princess Alexia does. Mrs Chantal Miller has other priorities, and she grows up her children as Americans. My question is, why King Constantine and Prince Pavlos let her doing that? Unless they don't have problem with that, witch, in that case, tell me a lot about what they think about the future...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,723
I suppose the children are learning Greek from their own father.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-06-2011, 04:39 PM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 3,149
We know that Marie-Chantal does not speak greek but the children might go to the Hellenik College of London.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 312
They have a Greek tutor:)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Carminha Stalker's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 1,674
Stef: I am not Greek but I LOVE the GRF. I think that they enhance the image of Greece nuch more than faceless politicians would. I don´t care what passports they have and that somebody decreed that Pavlos is not Greek even though he was born there, as well as his father was. It´s patent for me that they love to be there, not only for holidays, but for important occasions such as weddings and christenings.You are so right to believe in them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:41 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 3,149
I'm Greek, I'm not royalist, but i fully agree with you. This passeport story was a shame, and a stupidity. And how can you deny national feelings to someone, who is living somewhere for 4 generations!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-10-2011, 05:09 AM
emmeleia's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Patra, Greece
Posts: 377
I am also Greek...
The story with the passport had to do with the abolition of monarchy in Greece and the fact that the grf were prohibited to come to Greece....The fact is, as I have heard it from my parents because I was not born then, that in 1974 the political situation in Greece was way toooooo against the ex King....He represented sth old and everyone wanted to go forward and leave behind the old era of suppression...He made a lot of mistakes, this is undoubtful and he payed in a rather harsh way....

In my opininion, Pavlos and his family see Greece as a sightseeing attraction and as a part of their ancestors' history, concerning their glory and their success as royals and european aristocrats. They are european aristocrats far more that being Greeks....
And the fact that they do not speak greek proves it greatly.... I have heard Pavlos speaking greek...he has not an excellent level of knowledge of the greek language, by any means no. He speaks adequately, he can find his way as a tourist but he cannot develop a subject. Nikolaos speaks Greek a lot more better than his brother and Alexia also....
Children not learning greek? The last ten or more years I read that the children have a greek tutor, they study greek language etc. And yet they do not speak greek because MC says that it is difficult away from Greece..... ha ha ha ha. I speak english because I have studied it from 8 years old in school but I have never gone to England.... This is a view over learning? in order to learn sth, you have to live with it?

MC, for me, wants her children to be european aristocrats and businesspeople....
I cannot believe in any way that they want to come here.... Live in London in wealth and glory and come in Athens? it is a joke!
Constantine is another chapter because he has lived in Greece and bears the pain of losing his monarchy...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, Canada
Posts: 1
On the subject of languages.

I speak, read and write English and French fluently. I can speak and read tourist Spanish and I speak and understand Low German. I am of Irish descent. I do not speak Gaelic, but I still consider myself Irish. I am sure that HRH Crown Prince Pavlos and his family feel the same way. That said, anyone who thinks that learning a foreign language is a waste of time if you don't live in a country where that language is spoken? They live in a very small world, and its not one I would personally want to be a part of.

As for the fact that Greek should be the children's first language - I have many friends whose parents speak too different languages. Usually the kids learn to speak one language to Dad and another to Mom. My ex-fiance was Low German, and my grasp of the language, pronunciation wise is weak at best - so our plan was English as a family, Low German to Dad and French to Mom - we have no way of knowing the personal details of how MC and Pavlos live their lives unless they make it public. So perhaps we shouldn't judge.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-30-2013, 12:01 PM
carlota's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 5,665
in this interview pavlos and MC gave to hola in 2000, they mentioned they got a greek nanny and learnt some phrases from her (i guess she´s talking about herself, as pavlos, i believe, speaks greek).

Hello interview, October 24, 2000

Quote:
With that in mind, the couple plan to ensure that their children grow up with a strong awareness of Hellenic culture. "We had a Greek nanny spend three months with us in the summer," says Marie-Chantal. "She didn't speak a word of English, so she and my husband were always speaking Greek together, and you'd be surprised how many words and phrases picked up. We are so far from Greece, but we are doing our best."
__________________
Sign the United Nations Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare: http://www.animalsmatter.org
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE!
Feed an animal in need, click for free.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 722
[QUOTE=emmeleia;1324951]I am also Greek...
The story with the passport had to do with the abolition of monarchy in Greece and the fact that the grf were prohibited to come to Greece....The fact is, as I have heard it from my parents because I was not born then, that in 1974 the political situation in Greece was way toooooo against the ex King....He represented sth old and everyone wanted to go forward and leave behind the old era of suppression...He made a lot of mistakes, this is undoubtful and he payed in a rather harsh way....
And the fact that they do not speak greek proves it greatly.... I have heard Pavlos speaking greek...he has not an excellent level of knowledge of the greek language, by any means no. He speaks adequately, he can find his way as a tourist but he cannot develop a subject. Nikolaos speaks Greek a lot more better than his brother and Alexia also....



Of course you can learn a language though not living in this country, but certainly not properly as a native speaking person!
It is very unfair to blame Pavlos or the younger children of C and AM for not being too good at speaking greek while at the same time knowing they were prevented all their childhood from living in their homecountry!
As for King Constantines "mistakes": What mistakes has he been done in your opinion apart from being a twentysomething, unexperienced head of state? He stated over and over again if he stayed in Greece a civil war might have broken out. He tried to overthrow the Junta regime after months of secret planning with his last faithful ones. They failed as we know. I believe him that he tried everything he could!
There are lots of heads of states, not only monarchs, who make mistakes even on purpose, and normally they get away with it. King Constantine has been punished way too hard for something he didn´t do. (It wasn´t him to stage a coup!!!). I guess the whole experience in 1967 was a welcomed situation for some to get rid of the monarchy - and afterwards people claim "Oh, that´s all right! Constantine made many mistakes and brought the country into deep trouble..."
As for the endless, tyring discussions about his title: I have never heard of a king or an emperor not to use the kingly title after being deposed! That also seems to be a typical greek thing... When we talk about King Michael of Romania we know he was deposed by the communists and is not the current head of state. The same goes for King Simeon of Bulgaria. No one in Germany would call Wilhelm II Wilhelm Hohenzollern altough only a few people wish for a restoration. I could name more and more Kings in history being send into exile but still called by their royal title. I stick to Queen Elizabeth II: She claims once a monarch, always a monarch - deposed or not. And she´s, as always about royal issues, perfectly right!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
crm2317's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,878
As per a photo on Marie-Chantal's Instagram she, Pavlos and Maria Olympia went for a tour of Georgetown University. They were accompanied by two of their sons; Odysseus Kimon and Aristide Stavros.
__________________
God Save the House of Windsor
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 AM
emmeleia's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Patra, Greece
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Of course you can learn a language though not living in this country, but certainly not properly as a native speaking person!
It is very unfair to blame Pavlos or the younger children of C and AM for not being too good at speaking greek while at the same time knowing they were prevented all their childhood from living in their homecountry!
As for King Constantines "mistakes": What mistakes has he been done in your opinion apart from being a twentysomething, unexperienced head of state? He stated over and over again if he stayed in Greece a civil war might have broken out. He tried to overthrow the Junta regime after months of secret planning with his last faithful ones. They failed as we know. I believe him that he tried everything he could!
I said that Pavlos' knowledge of greek is not adequate, he speaks like a tourist, that meaning he speaks basically. I disagree that this lack is due to the fact they live abroad. How many Greeks live in Australia, Canada, USA, Germany, third and fourth generations, and their greek is perfect like mine, like eveyone's residing in this country... Sometimes I hear them speaking and I cannot tell the difference.
It is not at all unfair, it is simple common sense: I try to learn a foreign language, use the internet, books, free seminars, etc, and Pavlos has all the wealth and potential to get the best tutors and methods to make his greek better and he doesn't. Is it unfair for me when I have no money beside me and I try to find free ways to learn or unfair for him who has the money, the potential and an impressive aristocratic title?

And yes, it is disturbing for me to watch someone who wants to be called CP of Greece and not speaking greek. Although, personally, I like them as persons and as family, as a greek citizen I don't like it.
Would you like to see a german prince not speaking german adequately? How would you feel?

Concerning ex-King, his mistakes were during all his kingship, he was too involved in the political affairs, forcing ministers etc to resign. Let's say he had bad counsellors, as he himself has stated, the result is the same. He himself has stated that he was fully prepared for becoming the King, all his life he was prepared. But then how it is possible to commit such mistakes? The junta was just the top of the iceberg. I don' t like the fact he left the country. I also don't like the fact the grf left the country during WW2. Would you imagine King George in England leaving his country?

My opinion is that they always were european royals and not greeks. They see Greece as a vacation place and a place where their dynasty had some good moments.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
As per a photo on Marie-Chantal's Instagram she, Pavlos and Maria Olympia went for a tour of Georgetown University. They were accompanied by two of their sons; Odysseus Kimon and Aristide Stavros.
Here is the pic
http://distilleryimage7.s3.amazonaws...0d74e4df_8.jpg
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 34
Goodness! MO certainly has a mouthful of teeth, doesn't she?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:41 PM
julliette's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 1,913
When is Maria Olympia supposed to start university? Next academic year?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmeleia View Post
I said that Pavlos' knowledge of greek is not adequate, he speaks like a tourist, that meaning he speaks basically. I disagree that this lack is due to the fact they live abroad. How many Greeks live in Australia, Canada, USA, Germany, third and fourth generations, and their greek is perfect like mine, like eveyone's residing in this country... Sometimes I hear them speaking and I cannot tell the difference.

Pavlos had to leave the country as a baby - so he´s not to blame; I consider myself being pretty good in english (by all the things you mentioned: Internet, books, school etc.) - but I´m sure, after all these years, a native english speaker could still hear that I´m not british! Simply because I don´t live in England, the US or where ever.
Here at my place many people from Turkey, for instance, live here since the 1960s - they all have thick accents and their grammar is often very bad indeed (many from the older generation don´t speak a word of german even after 30 or more years in this country!). Even their children or grandchildren, born and raised here, often have accents, use the "he, she, it" in a wrong way etc. Not everyone, but many.


Would you like to see a german prince not speaking german adequately? How would you feel?

Well, all the german princes we have didn´t have to leave the country. Except from the Kaiser and his wife many from the imperial family stayed after 1918.
A german Prince talking with a slight accent is the current head of the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Prince Andreas, because he lived during the Cold War in the USA. If Germany would restore a monarchy and they would choose him, why not? It wouldn´t bother me at all!

King Constantine was trained for 23 years, actually less than 20 years as they were abroad during WWII - others become King at the age of 45, 50 or even older. So how can you say he was prepared for "all his life" when he had to take over at an age when many are almost half kids, thinking to go to university or do something else and trying to find out, who and what they are!
It was NOT his mistake that the system of this particular monarchy gave the monarch the right to mingle into politics. He didn´t abuse this right, it was in fact expected of him! Another reason why I think royals should always be constitutional monarchs and not political ones because you can never act poltically and satisfy everyone. There will always be some who don´t like your decisions.
Many royal families HAD to leave the country at WW II (Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, Yugoslavia) as they didn´t live on an island like the brit. Royal family. Have you ever seen old movietones of the norwegian or dutch royal families returning home?! Thousands and thousands of people mobbed and cheered them all their way to the palace because everyone was so thrilled and happy to have them back again!
Of course the brit. King would have left the country if he lived on the continent and not on this safe island. And they knew exactly if an invasion was close at hand or not. The danger and threats of what the Nazis could have done with George VI or use him and his family to blackmail the brit. government would have been much too great!


My opinion is that they always were european royals and not greeks. They see Greece as a vacation place and a place where their dynasty had some good moments.
The King was born in Greece, was his head of state, won the first olympic medal ever for his country, so of course he is greek and to deny this is simply outrageous!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marie Chantal, Crown Princess Pavlos Jewellery USCtrojan Royal Jewels 263 06-13-2014 01:03 PM
Pavlos and Marie-Chantal current events 6: January 2008 - November 2010 Avalon Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 501 11-26-2010 04:28 PM
Pavlos & Marie-Chantal and Family Picture Thread 1 Martine Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 267 04-02-2008 03:44 AM
Pavlos and Marie-Chantal current events 3: June-October 2006 Anna_R Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 187 10-21-2006 08:54 PM
A son for Pavlos and Marie Chantal: Born Sept. 17 2004 Josefine Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 123 11-05-2004 12:18 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince joachim prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit sweden wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]