What is missing from Monaco?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freedom

Nobility
City
Miami
Country
United States
What do you feel is missing/lacking from Monaco and/or the Monegasque Royal family these days?

I wouldn’t say that there is something missing from Monaco. Royal family is doing very good job. I have one notice though. Royal family can play bigger role in politics and in integration of Europe. I feel that they don’t use their power to influence enough, although I realize that it is safer to stay out of politics. This is just my opinion not some facts.

Well-made point, Independent Woman. Thanks for responding :)

No problem. Saying so, situation can change when Albert will come to the power. We have to take Prince Rainier age to the consideration.

I totally agree with IW but I also think it's time for Albert to find a wife, unless of course this is the plan (Albert not to have a wife and children so Caroline then Andrea can inherit the "throne") but who knows, maybe Albert will find his match!

Hello!

I agree with you. I think something is missing...
I think the media pay too much attention to gossip around them and give no credit for their participation in public life.
Despite their Annual celebration and the Christimas deliveries all we can see is that Stephanie is... and Albert is not... and Caroline is still...
And since the knowledge we have from them comes from the media we tend to think that's all they do.
I think this family is a no-family :( . They seem to have serious problems between them, which reflects on each others problems. It's so sad and I think the only person holding the key to solve things out is Albert. Let's Hope!

Regards:king: ,

From Portugal

While I don't necessarily agree that something is "missing" from Monaco, I do think there is a lot of dysfunction between the Grimaldis, whcih I'm sure troubles Rainier a great deal. I think if Albert was or became Prince he would take a more active role in European politics, but as long as Rainier is alive, he will not. Albert has a university education plus many international contacts he has made through the Olympics, etc, and this could benefit Monaco greatly, I think, in the world sphere. Bu tagain, as long as his father is alive, I don't think Albert will "upset the apple cart" and take on a wider, more politically active role for himself. :heart:

To my best knowledge that I have, I know that Albert is already taking part in not just European but international politics. Albert made many aboard trips and to my personal observation they were successful. I agree, that Albert has a potential to take Monaco to different level that we are use to, but at the same time I wouldn’t throw away the success that Prince Rainier (and Princess Grace) achieved. Monaco is doing very well, after all. :flower:

Well, I must admit in thinking about my own answer to this question, I've confused myself. On one hand, I think the Monegesque royal family has a unique opportunity to foster its public image. This unique opportunity stems from the fact that the family rules over such a tiny domain where there is little internal political, economic, social, and/or territorial strife. From a public relations perspective, this has to be a dream situation. This is why if I were to answer the topic question of what is missing from Monaco/its royal family, I would say the lack of maximizing this gem of a PR situation. More specifically, why is it that the international image of Monaco and its royal family is one of scandal (Stephanie), speculation (Albert), dissatisfaction (Caroline), and saddness (Grace). I think if there was a firm grip on the public image, the first thing people would think of when they think of Monaco/ its royal family would be all the benevolent contributions the family makes to the betterment of humanity, the dream-like opulance of its setting upon the Riviera, the progressiveness of the society, and the glamour of its inhabitants. Monaco's PR possibilities are ONLY limited by those fostering its image. So I wonder why the royal family has allowed Monaco's image to be muddied up by the internal issues of the family. Frankly, EVERYONES family has issues. It's really not a big deal that they do too-it's totally normal, and yes I believe even to some degree, healthy. But I don't like that their issues have clouded Monaco's image, and honestly I think the family's issues should be kept secret.

So if I say Monaco is missing a strong PR image, I think I have to conclude it is because the royal family has allowed it to go astray. BUT then, and here's my confusion, what about the right of the royal family to have their own lives. Must they exist in total secrecy, exposing only those images that make them look like the perfect family? That wouldn't be fair...

Stephanie should be able to marry whomever she wants, Albert should be with whomever he really loves, etc...

So therefore I think my premise that if Monaco is missing a strong PR image, it is because the royal family has allowed it to go astray is inaccurate. I think what Monaco needs is a more competent job of separating family issues from Municipality issues. If Monaco was marketed appropriately, then the personal issues of the royal family wouldn't be the first thing the world thinks of when they think of Monaco. Furthermore, if Monaco was marketed carefully, when the world thinks of Monaco's royal family-even if they know of the internal family issues going on, those thoughts would be superceded by all the benevolent contributions the family makes to the betterment of humanity.

First of all, I think Albert will make an excellent monarch. He simply chooses not to attempt to treat his father as Antionette did. He will inhert the throne there is no need for him to upserp any of the powers or postion not already installed in him. He supports his father perfectly. His life will change dramatically when he becomes monarch I think he is enjoying what freedom he has now, because I don't think anyone believes it will be much longer before he inherits.

What Monaco is missing is a Princess and the glamour she would provide.

I think that personal image is more important to Monaco than to the other royal families. Tourism is a very big deal for the country and they have to show beautiful(literally) images of the country and of themselves.

The problem with the Grimaldis is that they have a lot more potential than they use.

Let me talk a little about the 2 things that I was reffering when I said the word "beautiful".

Right now, the "looker" in the family is definetelly Charlotte. And imo, she is NO WAY, NO HOW, the one with the natural good looks in the family. Stephanie and Andrea do not take advantage of their natural beauty. Stephanie is 39. She's not that old! If the 2 of them took more care of their appearence and were knowed for their ability to dress, they could bring a lot of fascination to Monaco. With the others being the supporters, also having to take care of their appearence more. Not even the kids are looking as good as they could(ok, let's excuse Pauline of this one because her "problem" is a health treatment).

The second thing are the beautiful pictures. During "Grace's time", a lot of amazing pictures were produced and liberated to the press(whether they gave or sold them it's another story). From the past, we have amazing christmans cards, pictures of them preparing their christmans, great official pictures, pictures of them having fun in the gardens of the palace, playing games inside, in roc angel, during vacations, posing for unformal pictures in all of those places and a lot more. What do we have from the present? With a few exceptions, we only have pictures taken in events and paparazzi stuff. How is THAT going to fascinate people?

The problem with Caroline and Stephanie's children is that they are not members of the Princely Family and should not be looked at to represent Monaco. They have no position in Monaco to fill. Caroline used this as part of her recent case in the European court. Caroline and Stephanie both want their children to be left alone and not photographed as they are not members of the Princely Family. They do not represent Monaco. Caroline has long stated that she was ready to hand over her responsiblity as first lady. She wants to live her own life and so does Stephanie. When Albert becomes married his family will be the Princely Family and I suspect Caroline and Stephanie will take a willing backseat.

They certainly do have more potential and more influence than they use.

Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@May 13th, 2004 - 7:11 am
The problem with Caroline and Stephanie's children is that they are not members of the Princely Family and should not be looked at to represent Monaco. They have no position in Monaco to fill. Caroline used this as part of her recent case in the European court. Caroline and Stephanie both want their children to be left alone and not photographed as they are not members of the Princely Family. They do not represent Monaco. Caroline has long stated that she was ready to hand over her responsiblity as first lady. She wants to live her own life and so does Stephanie. When Albert becomes married his family will be the Princely Family and I suspect Caroline and Stephanie will take a willing backseat.

They certainly do have more potential and more influence than they use.
IMO, they should be "left alone" if Albert had kids. But he doesn't. They're what Monaco has right now! They're not technically princes/princesses but most of them are in line to the throne.

Do you think that is creating stress between Caroline, Stephanie, and Albert. Because unless Albert gets married & has children, then Caroline's and Stephanie's children will have to fill roles both sister's don't want their children to have to fill.

Last edited:
You've raised an interesting point there, Freedom. I agree with what you have said.

There could be stress between the three over Albert's single status. Caroline and Stephanie have not openly, or secretly from what we know of it, been 'grooming' any of their children to assume the throne. In the hope that Albert would marry, they appear to have provided a more private life for their kids.

Let's hope that he finds a nice bride soon.

Bunky

Maybe there is stress between them. But to be honest, I think that some traditions of the monarchy(in general) are useless or/and stupid. I agree that the throne should go to the eldest kid(not the oldest boy), but I think that the "window(s)" of the country should be picked between all people in the family. Even if the picked one(s) is/are "distant royal(s)". It would certainly be socially and financially "right" for any country. And IMO, a lot more cool!

The children should not be looked at to represent Monaco - even now. They are not members of the princely family nor do they have titles. Caroline just had a lengthy court battle at the EHCHR stating just this. She has no offical role in Monaco and her children certainly don't. She wants them to be left alone.

I think they are too public. They will eventually fade into the back ground like Antionette's children did.

Corline's children have done some duties. But I think Monaco is missing royal family. I doesn't seem like Caroline, or Step want to carry out duties, Ranier is sick must of the time :( , Ablert is the only one who seems to want to take out any duites, but he can't be the royal family by himself. Also Monaco is missing a princess but if Albert doesn't want to marry all all or at least now, then we can't force him.

Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@May 15th, 2004 - 1:38 am
The children should not be looked at to represent Monaco - even now. They are not members of the princely family nor do they have titles. Caroline just had a lengthy court battle at the EHCHR stating just this. She has no offical role in Monaco and her children certainly don't. She wants them to be left alone.

I think they are too public. They will eventually fade into the back ground like Antionette's children did.
If I think that they should or not be looked at to represent Monaco, it's MY decision. I don't have to agree with the law or with you! IMO, some of them should be looked at to represent Monaco now and even if Albert has 10 children. I also think that about Antoinette's descendents if they're good enough for the role. I couldn't care less if they have titles or not or if Caroline likes it or not. She never refused the "good part" of being a royal, so, I think that she has to stand the "bad part" as well.

Keep you opinions as opinions. And respect the opinions of others!

The trend in Europe is to down size the royals. Monaco is too small a country to need tons of royals.

Besides they are the ones making the choice and their kids don't want the duties. They see it as Albert's responsibility, and it is. He needs to have a family.

Don't overreact or put words in my mouth.

i hope this doesn't get me killed!!! not directed at anyone here!!! just food for thought 'bout what's missing... cuz... i can't figure this one either!!! if i'm 2 far over the line... lemme know!!! not trying 2 make trouble!!! but... being a 17 yr. old true blue outspoken manhattanite by birth... here goooooes!!! something 4 some1 to think about!!! the times i've visited mc in the past with my dad on his business trips... i get the très strong impression that the older natives of mc... e.g., the owners of very old businesses in mc... wonder if they even have une princesse!!! and they're très vocal about that 2!!! some say they don't like la princesse de hannovre or her little sis... when it comes to princess caroline... you can hear the older people using words like dread... temper tantrum... bossy... parvenu... etc... etc... etc... or asking where'd she go!!! does she only show up for the social events??? get the feeling they understand her little sis... they defend her 2!!! but still aren't too très pleased... they wonder why prince albert isn't married with children... older people definitely don't like mc's media image being portrayed as a tax shelter for sleeze... influx of new tax dodgers.... drug dealers... weapons brokers... recent french investigations into mc monies tied to al-qaida... etc... etc... etc... their words... not mine!!! and fbi and french files are just now on the web... babe!!! the really old residents of mc say this downfall began before princess grace died... but don't blame prince rainier or princess grace because of 'unspoken' problems they were dealing with... said they did the best they could... can only guess it might have been health & family problems... many blame princess caroline... said she partied when she could have been picking up the ball... helping her little sis... etc... etc... etc... they really don't like the fact that princess caroline and princess stephanie are lawsuit crazy... with meyrier, fayout, lacoste et al. and prinz et al. cuz... it 'don't' look to nice to have a royal flush of princesses who file 2 many suits!!! and... it really looks bad when princess caroline tries to have the media busted... i.e., arrested... at an nyc hotel after her pgfusa engagement, nyc... when she invited them!!! & i saw that!!! wow!!! & she almost got busted by nypd!!! cuz... she's technically a us citizen!!! that was a trip!!! the princesses need 2 come home... or quit... and the prince needs to get married... at least according to the old-timers of mc who seem to be fed up... & some1 in charge? in mc needs to put out the word that the mc government should belong to mc... instead of being a front for every other country... seeing mc fall would be like seeing nyc lose the mets... but... we lost the dodgers way before i was born... soooo... maybe what's missing is what ya throw out when a principality goes economically global... and finds out royalty and corporations don't mix!!! cuz... outside wealth runs mc banks... if royalty isn't lucrative... some1 will sell it... buy it... own it... control it!!! the sad realities of a global economy...

totally... marianne...
criminal law next yr. @ harvard...

Marianne, nobody will get you killed! :lol: You can say what ever opinion is in your mind! And I enjoyed reading it.

Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@May 16th, 2004 - 1:04 am
The trend in Europe is to down size the royals. Monaco is too small a country to need tons of royals.

Besides they are the ones making the choice and their kids don't want the duties. They see it as Albert's responsibility, and it is. He needs to have a family.

Don't overreact or put words in my mouth.
I did not put words in your mouth. You said, with all words, the exact line that they should not be looked at to represent Monaco.

What you just said is your opinion and I respect it. But I don't agree with you. I couldn't care less about trends. Now, I don't think that the family would be huge because I think that the job of "window" should be given to the most interesting and to the natural good looking ones. And I have a very strict sense when it comes to those things. But Monaco is different than most countries. A really important job for their "royals" is to allure the rest of the world. And no family would be "too big" for that.

About Albert, I think that he may end up finding a bad wife just because he's being so preasured by everybody! IMO, only the politic part should be consider Albert's responsability, the rest should be shared between others. I don't care about what the law says, I have my own opinions!

I agree with renats. Carolines and Stephanie's children are part of the family and they take some official functions: Such as Andrea for A.M.A.D.E., Pierre and Charlotte in Fontainebleau in that horse trophy, Pauline, Louis and Camille at the Circus Festival and on their mothers side for several charity events.

So this is the part they take and I can't imagine them to comlain about this. It's part of their lifes, they live with it and they always will...its not that bad at all finally.

i'd really hate to have the burdens princess caroline & princess stephanie have... in nyc & 'off duty' princess caroline is really a bashful person... and... sort of ok... when she's not going nuclear... ditto princess stephanie 'off duty' in mc... but not so bashful... i read it this way... they need to take très long vacations... cuz... this royalty biz has made them très paranoid... and i could write books... plural... books about that!!! don't worry!!! not an author!!! don't wanna be!!! but... it really has taken a toll on both... & princess caroline's 3 older kids 2... smallest thing can make princess caroline or princess stephanie go crazy... guess for a good reason... still no excuse for either to act like complete jerks by attacking innocent people for noooooooooo reason other than they think they can get away with it... but can't!!! could write books 'bout that 2!!! & certainly no excuse to hate & blame & avoid each other... or whatever... guess if i'd been seen as a photo item all my life... i'd be très crazy by now 2!!! but... if they wanna live the life... they need to walk the walk... or forget it!!! can't have it both ways!!! my dad said princess caroline was having problems 'becoming older'... megabummer... but... she's still very attractive... and... she's got sort of a sense of humor 2!!! 1 day... i'll be old... if planet earth isn't destroyed b4 then!!! a possibility!!! closing argument... at least she's 'been there'... & few have... better to have been there than never at all... & is there nooooooo solace in this 4 her??? cuz... she can be sooooooooo très cruel in nyc feeling denied & deprived of whatever that i gotta say... 'hay... babe!!! this is nyc!!! stick a sock in it!!!' & get applause 2!!! no kiddin'!!!

totally... marianne...
criminal law next yr. @ harvard...

Who are we to deside what they have to do with their lives and their country.

Originally posted by Freedom@May 11th, 2004 - 9:39 pm
On one hand, I think the Monegesque royal family has a unique opportunity to foster its public image. This unique opportunity stems from the fact that the family rules over such a tiny domain where there is little internal political, economic, social, and/or territorial strife. From a public relations perspective, this has to be a dream situation. This is why if I were to answer the topic question of what is missing from Monaco/its royal family, I would say the lack of maximizing this gem of a PR situation.
Absolutely. This is exactly my point.

:magic:

Stephanie should be able to marry whomever she wants

Yes.

Albert should be with whomever he really loves

Yes, but and here comes but, Albert cannot marry whomever he wants.

The problem with the Grimaldis is that they have a lot more potential than they use.

Absolutely.

Do you think that is creating stress between Caroline, Stephanie, and Albert. Because unless Albert get's married & has children, then Caroline's and Stephanie's children will have to fill roles both sister's don't want their children to have to fill.

They have normal relationship considering difficult situation they are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom