The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Nobility

What is missing from Monaco?

What do you feel is missing/lacking from Monaco and/or the Monegasque Royal family these days?

Old 05-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Commoner

I wouldn’t say that there is something missing from Monaco. Royal family is doing very good job. I have one notice though. Royal family can play bigger role in politics and in integration of Europe. I feel that they don’t use their power to influence enough, although I realize that it is safer to stay out of politics. This is just my opinion not some facts.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Nobility

Well-made point, Independent Woman. Thanks for responding :-)
Old 05-11-2004, 08:33 AM
Commoner

No problem. Saying so, situation can change when Albert will come to the power. We have to take Prince Rainier age to the consideration.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Serene Highness

I totally agree with IW but I also think it&#39;s time for Albert to find a wife, unless of course this is the plan (Albert not to have a wife and children so Caroline then Andrea can inherit the "throne") but who knows, maybe Albert will find his match&#33;
Old 05-11-2004, 12:59 PM

Hello&#33;

I agree with you. I think something is missing...
I think the media pay too much attention to gossip around them and give no credit for their participation in public life.
Despite their Annual celebration and the Christimas deliveries all we can see is that Stephanie is... and Albert is not... and Caroline is still...
And since the knowledge we have from them comes from the media we tend to think that&#39;s all they do.
I think this family is a no-family :( . They seem to have serious problems between them, which reflects on each others problems. It&#39;s so sad and I think the only person holding the key to solve things out is Albert. Let&#39;s Hope&#33;

Regards ,

From Portugal
Old 05-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Courtier

While I don&#39;t necessarily agree that something is "missing" from Monaco, I do think there is a lot of dysfunction between the Grimaldis, whcih I&#39;m sure troubles Rainier a great deal. I think if Albert was or became Prince he would take a more active role in European politics, but as long as Rainier is alive, he will not. Albert has a university education plus many international contacts he has made through the Olympics, etc, and this could benefit Monaco greatly, I think, in the world sphere. Bu tagain, as long as his father is alive, I don&#39;t think Albert will "upset the apple cart" and take on a wider, more politically active role for himself.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Commoner

To my best knowledge that I have, I know that Albert is already taking part in not just European but international politics. Albert made many aboard trips and to my personal observation they were successful. I agree, that Albert has a potential to take Monaco to different level that we are use to, but at the same time I wouldn’t throw away the success that Prince Rainier (and Princess Grace) achieved. Monaco is doing very well, after all. :flower:
Old 05-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Nobility

Well, I must admit in thinking about my own answer to this question, I&#39;ve confused myself. On one hand, I think the Monegesque royal family has a unique opportunity to foster its public image. This unique opportunity stems from the fact that the family rules over such a tiny domain where there is little internal political, economic, social, and/or territorial strife. From a public relations perspective, this has to be a dream situation. This is why if I were to answer the topic question of what is missing from Monaco/its royal family, I would say the lack of maximizing this gem of a PR situation. More specifically, why is it that the international image of Monaco and its royal family is one of scandal (Stephanie), speculation (Albert), dissatisfaction (Caroline), and saddness (Grace). I think if there was a firm grip on the public image, the first thing people would think of when they think of Monaco/ its royal family would be all the benevolent contributions the family makes to the betterment of humanity, the dream-like opulance of its setting upon the Riviera, the progressiveness of the society, and the glamour of its inhabitants. Monaco&#39;s PR possibilities are ONLY limited by those fostering its image. So I wonder why the royal family has allowed Monaco&#39;s image to be muddied up by the internal issues of the family. Frankly, EVERYONES family has issues. It&#39;s really not a big deal that they do too-it&#39;s totally normal, and yes I believe even to some degree, healthy. But I don&#39;t like that their issues have clouded Monaco&#39;s image, and honestly I think the family&#39;s issues should be kept secret.

So if I say Monaco is missing a strong PR image, I think I have to conclude it is because the royal family has allowed it to go astray. BUT then, and here&#39;s my confusion, what about the right of the royal family to have their own lives. Must they exist in total secrecy, exposing only those images that make them look like the perfect family? That wouldn&#39;t be fair...

Stephanie should be able to marry whomever she wants, Albert should be with whomever he really loves, etc...

So therefore I think my premise that if Monaco is missing a strong PR image, it is because the royal family has allowed it to go astray is inaccurate. I think what Monaco needs is a more competent job of separating family issues from Municipality issues. If Monaco was marketed appropriately, then the personal issues of the royal family wouldn&#39;t be the first thing the world thinks of when they think of Monaco. Furthermore, if Monaco was marketed carefully, when the world thinks of Monaco&#39;s royal family-even if they know of the internal family issues going on, those thoughts would be superceded by all the benevolent contributions the family makes to the betterment of humanity.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:23 AM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
First of all, I think Albert will make an excellent monarch. He simply chooses not to attempt to treat his father as Antionette did. He will inhert the throne there is no need for him to upserp any of the powers or postion not already installed in him. He supports his father perfectly. His life will change dramatically when he becomes monarch I think he is enjoying what freedom he has now, because I don&#39;t think anyone believes it will be much longer before he inherits.

What Monaco is missing is a Princess and the glamour she would provide.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:09 AM
Aristocracy

I think that personal image is more important to Monaco than to the other royal families. Tourism is a very big deal for the country and they have to show beautiful(literally) images of the country and of themselves.

The problem with the Grimaldis is that they have a lot more potential than they use.

Let me talk a little about the 2 things that I was reffering when I said the word "beautiful".

Right now, the "looker" in the family is definetelly Charlotte. And imo, she is NO WAY, NO HOW, the one with the natural good looks in the family. Stephanie and Andrea do not take advantage of their natural beauty. Stephanie is 39. She&#39;s not that old&#33; If the 2 of them took more care of their appearence and were knowed for their ability to dress, they could bring a lot of fascination to Monaco. With the others being the supporters, also having to take care of their appearence more. Not even the kids are looking as good as they could(ok, let&#39;s excuse Pauline of this one because her "problem" is a health treatment).

The second thing are the beautiful pictures. During "Grace&#39;s time", a lot of amazing pictures were produced and liberated to the press(whether they gave or sold them it&#39;s another story). From the past, we have amazing christmans cards, pictures of them preparing their christmans, great official pictures, pictures of them having fun in the gardens of the palace, playing games inside, in roc angel, during vacations, posing for unformal pictures in all of those places and a lot more. What do we have from the present? With a few exceptions, we only have pictures taken in events and paparazzi stuff. How is THAT going to fascinate people?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:11 AM
Courtier

The problem with Caroline and Stephanie&#39;s children is that they are not members of the Princely Family and should not be looked at to represent Monaco. They have no position in Monaco to fill. Caroline used this as part of her recent case in the European court. Caroline and Stephanie both want their children to be left alone and not photographed as they are not members of the Princely Family. They do not represent Monaco. Caroline has long stated that she was ready to hand over her responsiblity as first lady. She wants to live her own life and so does Stephanie. When Albert becomes married his family will be the Princely Family and I suspect Caroline and Stephanie will take a willing backseat.

They certainly do have more potential and more influence than they use.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@May 13th, 2004 - 7:11 am
The problem with Caroline and Stephanie&#39;s children is that they are not members of the Princely Family and should not be looked at to represent Monaco. They have no position in Monaco to fill. Caroline used this as part of her recent case in the European court. Caroline and Stephanie both want their children to be left alone and not photographed as they are not members of the Princely Family. They do not represent Monaco. Caroline has long stated that she was ready to hand over her responsiblity as first lady. She wants to live her own life and so does Stephanie. When Albert becomes married his family will be the Princely Family and I suspect Caroline and Stephanie will take a willing backseat.

They certainly do have more potential and more influence than they use.
IMO, they should be "left alone" if Albert had kids. But he doesn&#39;t. They&#39;re what Monaco has right now&#33; They&#39;re not technically princes/princesses but most of them are in line to the throne.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Nobility

Do you think that is creating stress between Caroline, Stephanie, and Albert. Because unless Albert gets married & has children, then Caroline's and Stephanie's children will have to fill roles both sister's don't want their children to have to fill.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Gentry

You&#39;ve raised an interesting point there, Freedom. I agree with what you have said.

There could be stress between the three over Albert&#39;s single status. Caroline and Stephanie have not openly, or secretly from what we know of it, been &#39;grooming&#39; any of their children to assume the throne. In the hope that Albert would marry, they appear to have provided a more private life for their kids.

Let&#39;s hope that he finds a nice bride soon.

Bunky
Old 05-14-2004, 01:17 AM
Aristocracy

Maybe there is stress between them. But to be honest, I think that some traditions of the monarchy(in general) are useless or/and stupid. I agree that the throne should go to the eldest kid(not the oldest boy), but I think that the "window(s)" of the country should be picked between all people in the family. Even if the picked one(s) is/are "distant royal(s)". It would certainly be socially and financially "right" for any country. And IMO, a lot more cool&#33;
Old 05-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Nobility

They need to do a major overhaul in their PR department
Old 05-15-2004, 02:38 AM
Courtier

The children should not be looked at to represent Monaco - even now. They are not members of the princely family nor do they have titles. Caroline just had a lengthy court battle at the EHCHR stating just this. She has no offical role in Monaco and her children certainly don&#39;t. She wants them to be left alone.

I think they are too public. They will eventually fade into the back ground like Antionette&#39;s children did.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Nobility

Corline&#39;s children have done some duties. But I think Monaco is missing royal family. I doesn&#39;t seem like Caroline, or Step want to carry out duties, Ranier is sick must of the time :( , Ablert is the only one who seems to want to take out any duites, but he can&#39;t be the royal family by himself. Also Monaco is missing a princess but if Albert doesn&#39;t want to marry all all or at least now, then we can&#39;t force him.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@May 15th, 2004 - 1:38 am
The children should not be looked at to represent Monaco - even now. They are not members of the princely family nor do they have titles. Caroline just had a lengthy court battle at the EHCHR stating just this. She has no offical role in Monaco and her children certainly don&#39;t. She wants them to be left alone.

I think they are too public. They will eventually fade into the back ground like Antionette&#39;s children did.
If I think that they should or not be looked at to represent Monaco, it&#39;s MY decision. I don&#39;t have to agree with the law or with you&#33; IMO, some of them should be looked at to represent Monaco now and even if Albert has 10 children. I also think that about Antoinette&#39;s descendents if they&#39;re good enough for the role. I couldn&#39;t care less if they have titles or not or if Caroline likes it or not. She never refused the "good part" of being a royal, so, I think that she has to stand the "bad part" as well.

Keep you opinions as opinions. And respect the opinions of others&#33;