What is missing from Monaco?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I think Albert has been derelict by 1) having illegitimate children, period; 2) muddying up the succession; 3) not providing for or participating in the lives of those children [as far as I know, prior to the death of his father].

I'm not sure about not marrying (it could have been a Charles/Diana situation) as being derelict. But what is he doing to prepare his heir now, assuming he's not getting married and having legitimate offspring in the future?

After Albert, what? Caroline might outlive him by a few years and then, Casiraghi princes? Outside of jetsetting what have these kids done?

But I will give Albert kudos for being supportive of his sister.

I agree with all of your posts Iowabelle. The only thing that strikes me as good about Albert is his obvious affection for his sister, who clearly needs it. That affection does not appear to be extended to his children, which strikes me as a character flaw, and a serious one.

I also agree with the poster that said that Monaco was missing a unified family. The family is fragmented, the prince has no wife, he does have children, but he doesn't treat them as his children, the succession is a big question mark, the sisters have their own marital issues. I've always believed that a successful (and enduring) monarchy offers an ideal royal family that because of it's strength and stability can set an example and act in a supportive role within the country. That does not exist in Monaco.

Actually, I'm a little older than Stephanie.

Yes, I didn't realize how badly Stephanie was traumatized by the accident for a very long time, but she has been treated as a child for a very long time. It's time to grow up (and either live quietly or embrace the royal life). Maybe she has grown up, I haven't heard much about her lately.

And I don't see how Caroline couldn't have known what EA was. She's no longer the starry-eyed young miss.

As for Albert, he's been derelict in his duty to his family and country.
I totally agree:
Caroline was hunting for a husband - this time with a royal background for a change - and she didn't mind steeling it from a friend.
The record of EA's violent incidents would bring everybody else into jail.
Considering that I find Carolines arrogance and neglectance towards her sister totally inappropriate. Caroline's kids don't seem to become a productive part of society: Life's party and beach. No serious studies. Andrea doesn't seem to be too smart. Failed his exams and driver's licence at least once.

Stephanie is not a bright light either. Her record of relationships and pregnancies would fit a lower class waitress rather than a princess. Her poor kids must be traumatised by now: negected by the rest of the family and stepfathers come and go.

Albert might benefit from the glamour of his parents. But he definitly doesn't add any glamour by marrying Charlene.

All 3 Grimaldi kids are spoiled and not very smart. In 20 years from now - Monaco will be like it used to be before 1956.

I totally agree:
Caroline was hunting for a husband - this time with a royal background for a change - and she didn't mind steeling it from a friend.
Stephanie is not a bright light either. Her record of relationships and pregnancies would fit a lower class waitress rather than a princess. Her poor kids must be traumatised by now: negected by the rest of the family and stepfathers come and go.

All 3 Grimaldi kids are spoiled and not very smart. In 20 years from now - Monaco will be like it used to be before 1956.

Caroline was not hunting for a husband, she dated an unknown French actor for 5 years, which i don´t think provides any social status, if she had liked belonging to this exclusive royal circle she could have done it much earlier, she has been a friend of Ernst and other European princes since her youth, so your conclusion is totally wrong,and about "steeling a husband", you don´t steel what someone does not "own" anymore.
As for Stephanie, she has lived her life as she wanted, and not as imposed for anyone, that´s good for her, and it doesn´t make her more or less intelligent. I don´t agree about her kids being rejected by the family, which part of the family? If you mean Caroline, she´s Pauline´s godmother, just to remind.

Caroline was not hunting for a husband, she dated an unknown French actor for 5 years, which i don´t think provides any social status, if she had liked belonging to this exclusive royal circle she could have done it much earlier, she has been a friend of Ernst and other European princes since her youth, so your conclusion is totally wrong,and about "steeling a husband", you don´t steel what someone does not "own" anymore.
As for Stephanie, she has lived her life as she wanted, and not as imposed for anyone, that´s good for her, and it doesn´t make her more or less intelligent. I don´t agree about her kids being rejected by the family, which part of the family? If you mean Caroline, she´s Pauline´s godmother, just to remind.
Rosana, as far as I know:
Vincent Lindon was/is a famous actor in France, not an unknown actor, and his family is millionaire. His grandfather was the owner of the Citroen.

Caroline was introduced to Ernst by her friend Chantal, when they were young and already engaged.

Caroline start dating Ernst when he was still married to Chantal. Ernst and Chantal separeted and divorced later. Chantal ask the divorce saying that her husband was cheating her with an "unknown woman", though Chantal and everybody knew it was Caroline.

Though Caroline is Pauline's Godmother, have you seen a pic of Caroline with Stephanie's kids lately?

I am a big fan of the family, but I believe that many of the things thekla wrote about all the members of the family are the truth.
Unfortunately

Rosana, as far as I know:
Vincent Lindon was/is a famous actor in France, not an unknown actor, and his family is millionaire. His grandfather was the owner of the Citroen.

Caroline was introduced to Ernst by her friend Chantal, when they were young and already engaged.

Caroline start dating Ernst when he was still married to Chantal. Ernst and Chantal separeted and divorced later. Chantal ask the divorce saying that her husband was cheating her with an "unknown woman", though Chantal and everybody knew it was Caroline.

Though Caroline is Pauline's Godmother, have you seen a pic of Caroline with Stephanie's kids lately?

I am a big fan of the family, but I believe that many of the things thekla wrote about all the members of the family are the truth.
Unfortunately
I read Princess Grace invited Ernst to the Palace in the hopes he and Caroline would hit it off except she didn't want any part of match mating and married Junot.

I read Princess Grace invited Ernst to the Palace in the hopes he and Caroline would hit it off except she didn't want any part of match mating and married Junot.

I don't know which is the truth, but I read an interview to Ernst and he said it was not true and that probably Princess Grace would have never liked to have him as her son in law because he said he was really a "bad" boy at the time.

Prince Alessandro Ruffo di Calabria, who dated Chantal after her divorce, said on an interview on magazine Chi, that Chantal introduced Ernst to Caroline when they were already engaged and that they hadn't met before.
Anyways, I hope we are not off topic.

I agree that what is missing in Monaco is a unified family.
I wish I could see a pic of all of them, with all the children, like all the other Royal families.

Last edited:

It is nice that Caroline is Pauline's godmother. I didn't know it. If only we have pictures of the whole clan, as giov said. That would be so nice. Everyone together, all of Rainier's descendants and Antoinette's family too: children, grandchildren, no matter to being legitimate offspring or not, so definitely include Jazmin and Alexandre and Camille in that wish. I think Albert would find that public opinion about him would skyrocket if only he were seen, just the tiniest bit, to be a real dad to his kids. Just that would go so far towards putting the "family" back in Princely Family.

The negelctance of Stephanie's kids is obvious:
1) The worst: Not allowing them to attend Rainier's funeral. How painful must it have been for Stephanie to see EA's sons being there and behaving like grandchildren (walking around the coffin with candles - that was really disgusting)

2) No obvious social encounter between the cousins.

2) Not allowing Stephanie's kids to attend any official event. But Caroline pushes her kids to the front row like they are the legitimate heirs to the throne

I think marrying EA might have been out of love but probably with a second thought. Being a royal heighness brings her back to the royal carpet, with the status of a once divorced widow with 3 kids she was slipping out of this society.

BTW - Charlotte is living and working in London now. Wouldn't she be a perfect match for William - agewise and with the royal background of her stepfather? I doubt that Caroline doesn't have those second thoughts she's just too status conscious - probably worse than her mother

The
only one in this family who doesn't have that status consciousness is Stephanie - and she paid her toll.
On the other hand was it necessary to choose so low?

I see it in the exact opposite way: Stephanie, due to the free pass she often had with her father and family, has had the option to shade her kids form the public life, while CAroline, due to her role as Monaco's First Lady (which was even more prominent when Stefano was alive and Stefanie was enjoying herself in LA or Paris) had to put her kids in the spotlight since they were born. That's something she obviously regretted and as soon as she could, she took them away from Monaco and "hid" them in St Remy, avoiding also interviews and posed photos.
I see it like this: Steph had a choice, Caro (in the beginning, I'm not talking about now) didn't. Stefano often commented on how both Caro and himself regretted this state of things!

1) The worst: Not allowing them to attend Rainier's funeral. How painful must it have been for Stephanie to see EA's sons being there and behaving like grandchildren (walking around the coffin with candles - that was really disgusting)

2) Not allowing Stephanie's kids to attend any official event. But Caroline pushes her kids to the front row like they are the legitimate heirs to the throne

I think marrying EA might have been out of love but probably with a second thought. Being a royal heighness brings her back to the royal carpet, with the status of a once divorced widow with 3 kids she was slipping out of this society.

BTW - Charlotte is living and working in London now. Wouldn't she be a perfect match for William - agewise and with the royal background of her stepfather? I doubt that Caroline doesn't have those second thoughts she's just too status conscious - probably worse than her mother

The only one in this family who doesn't have that status consciousness is Stephanie - and she paid her toll.
On the other hand was it necessary to choose so low?
#1 She could have allowed her children to attend the funeral Stephanie choose not to. Their ages might have had something to do with it as well I'm not sure.
#2 It's Stephanie's choice. And Caroline's children until Albert has a legitimate heir are the rightful heirs to the Throne after her. It's the same situation for them as it was for the de Massy's until Rainier had children.

I agree with all of your posts Iowabelle. The only thing that strikes me as good about Albert is his obvious affection for his sister, who clearly needs it. That affection does not appear to be extended to his children, which strikes me as a character flaw, and a serious one.

I also agree with the poster that said that Monaco was missing a unified family. The family is fragmented, the prince has no wife, he does have children, but he doesn't treat them as his children, the succession is a big question mark, the sisters have their own marital issues. I've always believed that a successful (and enduring) monarchy offers an ideal royal family that because of it's strength and stability can set an example and act in a supportive role within the country. That does not exist in Monaco.

I agree with everyone that states that a sense of unified family is missing in Monaco, especially the relationship between the two sisters. We would love to see pictures of all of them reunited happily, including Charlene and the two kids of Albert. But I do not think that a monarchy has to offer anymore the aspect of an ideal family. There are not ideal families, all of them have normal problems now and then. Remember that the "ideal victorian families" included mistresses and liberty for the men of the families and pregnancies and all kind of duties for the women of the family. That was not the case of Queen Victoria, ironically, but it was for most of the women of the time to which she gave her name, the hypocritical pre-feminist society that Oscar Wilde criticized until it led him to prison and death. Royals form part of a culture and they have to change with the culture changes just as everyone else. That ideal of a perfect family has led to incorrect decisions, like princess Margaret not marrying the man she loved or Charles marrying a lovely girl, an english rose, whom he did not love, and after that behaving like if he were living in the XIX century or Diana were a woman of that time.

I tried to quote three lines of royaltywatcher. I have not learned to do that yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephanie has chosen to keep her children out of the spotlight since they were born, she said it in many interviews, and if she could have disappeared herself she would have done it, but she always had her duties and a feeling of responsibility towards her father.
As for Caroline, what an elegant way of calling a woman "a social climber", as if she needed any more attention, money or status. I repeat it, she has known Ernest since they spent their family vacations in Gstaad,at that time Grace had contact with all the royal families, if Caroline wanted a prince she had many to choose, but she always married for love, or believing to be in love, this is what she is, you like her or not.

I suppose by unified family it is meant that they are at a lot of the charity events together. It appears to me that they have done what I call a divide and conquer method. Stephanie is low key and does not seem to really enjoy formal functions thus she attends only the ones she feels she must be present at. She currently fills the role of humanitarian for the crown or people's princess if you prefer. Caroline is more in the "Queen" consort role which she stepped into when her mother died and has done extremely well (JMO). She is in a tough spot, as Albert has the throne and has no direct heir by him thus leaving her to semi-train her kids for a job they might not hold. Perhaps behind closed doors Albert has said he will not marry and thus Caroline is quietly training her trio who knows? As far as Charlene goes, she looks like a live in companion at this point. Even with the lastest PR move in Bunte trying to cast her as well read, content to stay home and cook, etc it rings hollow so if she were put into the role of princess at this point she seems to lack passion for the job but not the title (JMO) So what is Monaco lacking? as I said before a leader. Albert thus far seems more concerned with his image than with Monaco, and I wish he would as he has the talent to do so. (JMO)

I agree with many of the posters on here that say that the family is too fragmented. I think they truly love and care about each other, and that's the first step that they need to "put it back together". And I understand that they all live different lives, in different places, etc. But it would be nice if they were together more, at some official events. Or if Caroline's (older) kids took a bigger role, since one of them very well may be the ruler of Monaco someday. They don't really seem to do much more then drink, smoke, and party.

Albert, IMO, might need to settle down some. And not settle down as in "get married, have kids, say goodbye to your old life and having fun". I mean, maybe get a new reputation. Being "The Playboy Prince" is very hot when you're 25 years old, handsome, and can do whatever you want, whenever you want. But by the time you're 50, still a bachelor, balding, and the Sovreign Prince of anywhere, it's not so cool. Leave that to your nieces and nephews. He still can have girlfriends and enjoy women and have illegitimate children, but it's not so great now. It's actually kind of sleazy. Who knows, I don't follow this family much, maybe he's gotten better since 2005. Maybe he just could focus on other things. And if he wants to get married to Charlene, or any other woman, he can do that. But I just don't think he should be so "loose".

I suppose by unified family it is meant that they are at a lot of the charity events together. It appears to me that they have done what I call a divide and conquer method. Stephanie is low key and does not seem to really enjoy formal functions thus she attends only the ones she feels she must be present at. She currently fills the role of humanitarian for the crown or people's princess if you prefer. Caroline is more in the "Queen" consort role which she stepped into when her mother died and has done extremely well (JMO). She is in a tough spot, as Albert has the throne and has no direct heir by him thus leaving her to semi-train her kids for a job they might not hold. Perhaps behind closed doors Albert has said he will not marry and thus Caroline is quietly training her trio who knows? As far as Charlene goes, she looks like a live in companion at this point. Even with the lastest PR move in Bunte trying to cast her as well read, content to stay home and cook, etc it rings hollow so if she were put into the role of princess at this point she seems to lack passion for the job but not the title (JMO) So what is Monaco lacking? as I said before a leader. Albert thus far seems more concerned with his image than with Monaco, and I wish he would as he has the talent to do so. (JMO)

Brilliantly said, Hibou! Albert doesn't know how to be a leader.

Boy, I do not feel envious toward the Grimaldis about anything, least of all Albert for having to be successor and live up to the "Rainier and Grace" era.
I am sure that they can do it, though. They just need to band together and do it like a family, forget about all this "divide and conquer" stuff as hibou said. The talent and potential is there. Maybe they just need to refocus it.

Boy, I do not feel envious toward the Grimaldis about anything, least of all Albert for having to be successor and live up to the "Rainier and Grace" era.
I am sure that they can do it, though. They just need to band together and do it like a family, forget about all this "divide and conquer" stuff as hibou said. The talent and potential is there. Maybe they just need to refocus it.

Huge talent there all round. I agree. I would add that Albert needs to stop feeling like he needs arm candy when he attends all these events. Nice for him to bring a date but he has to get his image as a strong minded leader together first.It would be nice if he would keep his private life as private as possible and not have girlfriends to blab to the press. I'd be thrilled if he found the love of his life but in the meantime he needs to keep that part out of sight. (JMO) He has brought various family members to events like the de masseys but it is very rare that you see them all at the same time as everyone mentioned.

Greetings. Sandsla, thank you for going back to my original post. -Freedom
Originally Posted by sandsla

....Albert be patient (and careful), your:angel: is out there! ...& she needs you as much as you need her. She's out there.
"You have the resources"...FIND HER! -Freedom (nice:flowers:)

Internal resources-Yes?

"....Albert........"Go for the Gold' ...."
.... :angel: .
(omission of the word "digger" was intentional ;)) -sandsla

I know Albert can't hide who he is - but one often gets what they advertise for?;)

Last edited:

I agree with you Casiraghi Trio, the "Rainier and Grace" era, will be hard to follow, because it's such a fairytale image, plus it's recent memory. They did some great things! But Monaco has had some other great eras, it didn't start with Rainier and Grace. I think Monaco has had a great history and has always been a unique little place in the world. Considering the times we live in and the fact that this family and monarchy still survives, very strongly I might add, that in itself is quite amazing, especially for it's size.

It took Rainier more than a few years to find his way, and he also had to deal with the power plays that usually happen at the beginning of a new reign. There are always issues regarding loyalties and different personalities. It's hard for some people to adapt to changes that are obviously going to occur. I'm sure it will continue to be a very special place and Albert will make his own mark. Rainier was a single man for a while before he found a bride and although he was younger, it was the 50's and for that time period he too probably had to deal with a bachelor image for awhile. Albert will find a special woman too!

I do love seeing all the family together, when it's possible for them, but I really don't see that they are so fragmented.They have all done a great job in stepping up when needed into the roles that suited each of their personalities.This family has had to deal with more than it's share of sorrow, and that is hard enough to live through without being on display. Personally, I think they have gone through all their trials and tribulations with much humility and grace and that is why they remain so popular, they transcend mere interest in royalty, because they have managed to stay regal yet real and that is the allure of the Grimaldi's.

If Your Going Through Hell, Keep Going..
-Winston Churchill

I think what's missing in Monaco is having a Princess like the glamorous and gracious Princess Grace...Prince Albert should have a wife princess and legitimate children as heirs--and they would be Monaco's new Princely family-..Its not that I dont like Princess Caroline or her children to be Albert's heir, its just that Princess Caroline's children seems to enjoy a much normal life than being royals.

The Grimaldis in my opinion lack dignity and self respect. If Albert had any, he wouldn't be cavorting with Charlene and he would look for someone willing to accept his baggage and marry her. Either that or he would make Charlene into an honest woman and get engaged, marry her, and have plenty of children and ensure the succession of the Grimaldi dynasty. Ranier worked very hard to bring some dignity to Monaco and Albert, Stephanie, and even Caroline seem interested in doing nothing but squandering that legacy with their antics.

As for having a Princess consort, Albert would be incredibly lucky if someone of stature would be willing to even look at him, much less date or marry him. I think Albert is quickly running out of options and he should begin to get serious about his personal life.

As for having a Princess consort, Albert would be incredibly lucky if someone of stature would be willing to even look at him, much less date or marry him. I think Albert is quickly running out of options and he should begin to get serious about his personal life.
Actually he has dated woman who were. One was scared off by the press and attention she couldn't handle.

In that case, finding someone of respectable stature and someone able and willing to deal with the press, he would be lucky to find her.

Albert, despite being a reigning prince, isn't that much of a catch. He has two illegitimate children whose mothers have pretensions to the throne of Monaco 'for their children' and I don't think any respectable woman would be willing to deal with that. It's too much for any woman to handle, especially one whose children, however legitimate, would still be challenged on and off by Tamera and Nicole. Both women want the throne for their kids (with themselves as a power behind the throne) and both seem interested in scaring off any women who get intimately involved.

Albert will have to choose, woo, and convince a decent and respectable woman to even be seen in public with him despite his baggage.

Actually he has dated woman who were. One was scared off by the press and attention she couldn't handle.

Albert has always dated bimbos and will always date bimbos. A woman of substance makes him look and feel inferior. The one "woman" he dated that wasn't a bimbo has more testosterone than he does so that was a no-hoper from the beginning.

In that case, finding someone of respectable stature and someone able and willing to deal with the press, he would be lucky to find her.

Albert, despite being a reigning prince, isn't that much of a catch. He has two illegitimate children whose mothers have pretensions to the throne of Monaco 'for their children' and I don't think any respectable woman would be willing to deal with that. It's too much for any woman to handle, especially one whose children, however legitimate, would still be challenged on and off by Tamera and Nicole. Both women want the throne for their kids (with themselves as a power behind the throne) and both seem interested in scaring off any women who get intimately involved.

Albert will have to choose, woo, and convince a decent and respectable woman to even be seen in public with him despite his baggage.
I have to disagree with you. As far as the children they shouldn't be a problem either. Plus neither child has any claim to the Throne as his attorney already stated.

Albert has always dated bimbos and will always date bimbos. A woman of substance makes him look and feel inferior. The one "woman" he dated that wasn't a bimbo has more testosterone than he does so that was a no-hoper from the beginning.

:D Well, in that case it's a pity Britney Spears isn't single. I think she's his only hope now.

According to Point de Vue this week , Monaco needs Princess Caroline's glamour. I agree,she is always the star of the family,a magnetic personality,icon of style and an exceptional example of reserve: no interviews, no proclamation, no pursuit of public consent ! For me a woman of quality.

I haven't read the article in question, and i'd like to do so before making any comment, Ulisse, but P. Caroline is an example of reserve nowadays, because we all know she had quite an atribulated ( and quite spread about in the press ) life. Onthe other hand and although Monaco still needs beautiful, rich jet-seters prowling about the pricipality and social events to feed the aura of dream and glamour so appealing to tourists, the family should get together ( all of them: the grown ups and the young generation of cousins ) and work all focused on the same aim: put the country in the european map of economy, politics and scientif research, colaborating w/ other reigning monarchies in social matters ( work with children, poor countries, educational programs, imigration... ) and cultural issues. These are dificult times we're living; balls, parties, vacations are good, but they're not enough anymore. P. Grace days are over. It's up to her family to take her heritage in hands and, without putting the dream aside, adjuste it to these modern, troubled days in a dinamic and constructive way. They should stop sticking to the past ( and we public so encourage them to do so! ) and face the future. ALL OF THEM TOGETHER!!!!

A wife for Prince Albert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom