The Palais De Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Ianna

Source: Corbis
LookonPortrait.jpg
sportrait.jpg

Originally posted by Iceflower.

Source: unknown

palacegarden99.jpg

Originally posted by nina86lila

Source: unknown

e122wg.jpg
e122z8.jpg

In a pic Monaco70s posted here, I noticed that the very famous portrait of Princess Grace that you always see in the official photos of the family, is in the "Room of Mirrors". Is it permanently there or is this special portrait always moved to wherever the official picture is being taken? I think everyone knows the portrait I'm referring to because it's the one most often seen behind the family when they pose for official pictures in the palace. The one where Grace is wearing the long, sleek white gown and the Grimaldi sash. Does it have a permanent place somewhere in the palace, where it hangs when it's not being used as a backdrop for official pictures?

The other pictures in the Palace are sometimes moved (not every two or three weeks), but I doubt they actually move that particular portrait, being it so meaningful but also so huge...I think all the official pictures in which we saw the portrait were taken in the mirror room (I'm not 100% sure though)

Kisses

Thanks for the information, Grace. I have to say that I mostly like this palace a lot. The only part of it seen so far that doesn't impress me is Albert's office, because it is over-stuffed and cluttered, and the desk is ugly. His artwork that he has to the left of the window is also ugly. To see that office leaves no doubt a single man inhabits it! :D His father had such elegant tastes, though! Having such elegant parents, how did Albert come to have such a tacky sense of interior decor?

CasiraghiTrio said:
Thanks for the information, Grace. I have to say that I mostly like this palace a lot. The only part of it seen so far that doesn't impress me is Albert's office, because it is over-stuffed and cluttered, and the desk is ugly. His artwork that he has to the left of the window is also ugly. To see that office leaves no doubt a single man inhabits it! :D His father had such elegant tastes, though! Having such elegant parents, how did Albert come to have such a tacky sense of interior decor?
Looks like a normal male space to me. He had a messy room at college. I bet he knows where everything is.

You're welcome...I'm happy if I could help, but take my information with a grain of salt: I have visited the Palace, but I have no insight in the Principality.

As for Albert's office, the most beautiful thing there is a statue of Grace's head (I didn't get to visit his office of course, i just saw the statue in another pic taken some years ago...); the rest is not only a mess, but also not really tasty. I like Al a lot, but i think he has definitely less class than his parents...

Kisses

I like Albert too and I was surprised his office was so messy in that picture. Because he is certainly not tacky in the way he dresses. He always appears so neat and conservative. Maybe when he's at home, he lets his guard down and takes out his frustrations by having a messy office? :confused:

I'll be sure to not invite you two to my home if you think his office is messy and cluttered. Look at his office size compared to his father's. Albert's was orginally where Grace answered her mail and handled other things she did. She didn't require the space Albert needs I'm surprised its not really piled high with more.

The yellow room where his office is, used to be his mother's office, he didn't like to move everything out (his mom stuff) so I think he brought his stuff. Plus computers were not a necessity 20 years ago, so the office was not "wired" for electronics, hence the messy effect. I wonder if he moved to his father's office which way more elegant and organized.

Prince Albert's office

The office in the picture was obviously decorated in the 80's when everything was black and chrome. You can see it by the age of our beloved prince. In the interview now in September he was sitting in his mothers office, which has white furniture and a totally different style.
The blue room (with Prince Rainier) is used to meet dignitaries from other countries and I'm sure it was not PR private office. You can find pictures of PA in that very room on the palace's home site.
So the conclusion is that I'm sure PA has either redecorated his office to fit the new millennium or he might be using his mother's office permanently. As for the mess it is quite understandable for a lively and perhaps a little disorganized personality. He is pisces and they don't run around tidying up all the time. They spend their time daydreaming.
Regards
Donna

Donna said:
The office in the picture was obviously decorated in the 80's when everything was black and chrome. You can see it by the age of our beloved prince. In the interview now in September he was sitting in his mothers office, which has white furniture and a totally different style.
The blue room (with Prince Rainier) is used to meet dignitaries from other countries and I'm sure it was not PR private office. You can find pictures of PA in that very room on the palace's home site.
So the conclusion is that I'm sure PA has either redecorated his office to fit the new millennium or he might be using his mother's office permanently. As for the mess it is quite understandable for a lively and perhaps a little disorganized personality. He is pisces and they don't run around tidying up all the time. They spend their time daydreaming.
Regards
Donna
Thats a new one daydreaming I never heard anyone say that about Albert. He analyses every thing according to one source. As a young child at the circus instead of enjoying it he was checking the program to see if they were following it.

He also redid her office to the one he uses. Here is the discription
The small office is cluttered with an eclectic assortment of artwork and memorabilia: an odd sculpture of artificial flowers sits on the floor beside the door; a bronze sculpture of a woman's torso stands in front of windows overlooking the yacht-filled port below; a black-and-white photograph of his mother in her youth stands on a mantle beside an antique clock, one of the few bits of décor that remain from when she occupied the room.
Also hearing he keeps other memorabilia under his bed I think he said he sounds like he wants things where he can get to them easy without having to ask anyone he sounds independent and wanting a more lived in feeling homey around him even though he lives in a Palace with a lot of people about. I read all that btw.

Last edited:
Palace's playground

Palace's playground with breathtaking view..
Can you imagine playing football there or basketball there??..My eyes would probably be anywhere else except on the ball..:p :)

e9c8jm.jpg

Photo found at Pbase

Ianna said:
Can you imagine playing football there or basketball there??..My eyes would probably be anywhere else except on the ball..:p :)

Photo found at Pbase

Wow. :eek: Talk about an amazing view...I agree, if I were playing basketball, I'd be losing because of that view!

Everything about the palace seems so perfect and elegant. I can't imagine what it's like to live or work there.

Ianna said:
Photo found at Pbase
Since you found it Ianna you can have the building side view of the ocean for the game that way I can win easier you will be distracted. Great photo love these never before seen ones.

LadyMacAlpine said:
Thats a new one daydreaming I never heard anyone say that about Albert. He analyses every thing according to one source. As a young child at the circus instead of enjoying it he was checking the program to see if they were following it.

Haha! I love that! About the office, I think Donna must be right. The picture was taken before the mass computer age, and small computers at that. What computers people did have then were so big and ugly. Now they are tiny and beautiful,like the Mac powerbook
:D (MAC ROCKS!) It is sweet that he moved into his mother's old office and didn't want to dump out her stuff. Very respectful and loving! :)

The first one from Corbis was 1986. In the second one he added pictures to the wall to the left of the window and changed the one on the right from what appears to be a car to white water rafting. Looking at the room width and comparing it to the one I am in its about 12 ft wide. Same drapes, lamps and appears desk but looks like a table beside the desk for extra space.

LadyMacAlpine said:
The first one from Corbis was 1986. In the second one he added pictures to the wall to the left of the window and changed the one on the right from what appears to be a car to white water rafting. Looking at the room width and comparing it to the one I am in its about 12 ft wide. Same drapes, lamps and appears desk but looks like a table beside the desk for extra space.

But he still has his stacks of books everywhere! Oh well, at least it's good to know he's a voracious reader! Definitely a plus!

LadyMacAlpine said:
He also redid her office to the one he uses. Here is the discription Also hearing he keeps other memorabilia under his bed I think he said he sounds like he wants things where he can get to them easy without having to ask anyone he sounds independent and wanting a more lived in feeling homey around him even though he lives in a Palace with a lot of people about. I read all that btw.
OOps I goofed.
My mother used to have this office. She used to say I could have it in a few years, and when she passed away I took it over. It has a desk side and a lounge side. I've tried to make it a little more masculine without changing much, but it's cluttered with family photos and trophies. It does have a great view of the port. I'm not a huge collector of art pieces. I did the whole stamp-collecting thing, and pens and keyrings, but nowadays I keep every accreditation — security tags — I have ever worn to events. Keep them under the mattress, in a box. No kidding!
I was going to say that. Still looking for the date on the other photo.

that's a gorgeous picture if it weren't that you said it was Monaco I would swear it was in the Caribean, specially Puerto Rico.

hsh1969 said:
that's a gorgeous picture if it weren't that you said it was Monaco I would swear it was in the Caribean, specially Puerto Rico.

I know, that pic overlooking the tennis courts and everything, the endless expanse of sea.... amazing. Thanks to all these Palace pics, I now have a sense of where Albert takes his daily runs and where he and Caroline's Casiraghi Trio exercised recently (remember the olycom pics). I wondered where they were, but I have no doubt they were in the grounds of the palace.

Believe me, Prince Albert daydreams enormously. He has a whole secret world of his own. You can see it in his eyes.

This was a lovely and generous thread Josefine, thank you.

In answer to the question about if there are any palaces with swimming pools indoors versus outdoors, Buckingham Palace in London contains an indoor pool to the best of my knowledge.

it looks so beautiful it must be hard to keep up with reality.imo, knowing that people are dying of starvation while u r playing tennis or enjoying all that comfort would make u feel guilty, dont you think?

Wilton said:
This was a lovely and generous thread Josefine, thank you.

In answer to the question about if there are any palaces with swimming pools indoors versus outdoors, Buckingham Palace in London contains an indoor pool to the best of my knowledge.

Buckingham Palace does indeed have an indoor pool. Olympic size. Diana used to drive over there every morning to have a swim. BP also has squash courts under the ground floor. Kensington Palace has tennis courts. I think Windsor Castle has an outdoor pool, but not an indoor one. I know for sure that Sandringham does not have a pool because Diana said that Andrew and Edward and David Linley used to go over to her house (Park House) to swim because it was the only place in the neighborhood that had a pool.

Whatever happened to the private zoo that was located below the Palace in the rocky, cliff area? There was a problem with it years ago but I'm sure conditions were improved.
Is it still there or was it closed?

Some more pics of the inside. All from Bruno Press

et5t1e.jpg

et5t29.jpg

et5t2u.jpg

et5t3q.jpg

et5t75.jpg

et5t82.jpg

et5t95.jpg

et5tah.jpg

et5teh.jpg

et5tf4.jpg