The Palais De Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's Stephen Falcke (a German name ?)
He studied interior design at the Chelsea School of Art.
He worked for David Hicks, and he's done boutique hotels and domestic work. He has got several awards.

He derives inspiration from nature, and he sees his style as a melting post of different cultures.

Landing Page

I read sometimes ago on a princess Grace's biographie that the living room gave on the place of the palace.
For the redecorate of the palace, he was not redecorate from the times of the Princess Grace, it is normal that the couple will decorate and want to design again the apartment they want a new home for a family. It was an apartment for a bachelor. As it is privat, they will pay with their money. I recall to have read that the gift of the wedding of Princess Grace needed to redecorat also the palace. Princess Grace decorat several times the palace.

Thanks for the living room photos, during the 70s several photos were taken there. Apparently it kept the same decor from when Grace was alive till Rainier's death. I saw several years ago a photo of Albert in the living room and he had redecorated it. There was a painting of Charlotte attending 2000's Grand Prix (the famous pink scarf photo). Albert also changed the upholstery of the couches in the Hall of Mirrors where Grace's painting is.

I read sometimes ago on a princess Grace's biographie that the living room gave on the place of the palace.
For the redecorate of the palace, he was not redecorate from the times of the Princess Grace, it is normal that the couple will decorate and want to design again the apartment they want a new home for a family. It was an apartment for a bachelor. As it is privat, they will pay with their money. I recall to have read that the gift of the wedding of Princess Grace needed to redecorat also the palace. Princess Grace decorat several times the palace.
According to Monaco70s it was redone.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Does anyone know where or which part (on the map) the private apartments of PA and PC are?

I think it's the sort of separte block on the south.
There used to be a left wing to the palace that was destroyed by a fire.
After Rainier married Grace they built a new wing to the palace for their private appartments.
I guess that's were Albert and Charlene will live too.

Hmm, do you really think so?
I always thought it is at the pool, where you see the grey roof, the most private part because of the trees.
I guess we will never really know for sure! The block you mean would be directly at the gate and so directly at the front where all the tourists hang out.
Imagine Albert or Charlene waking up and looking through the window, yawning to the people outside. Lol.

Last edited:
I think it's there because of the fact that that's a new part and the windows of the grand salon look quite big and modern.
Also if you look at the view from the windows of the salon, you see a sort of red pavement and I think it's the same than the one you see on the aereal view behind the new block.
Palais du Prince in Monaco - Rights Managed - Corbis
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

On this picture I think you can see the big windows on the left side of the new block?
Fichier:2003-04-Nice-41.jpg - Wikipédia

But it's all just a guess.

I also found this article about the changes that were made to the palace to create more room for offices, archives etc.
http://translate.google.be/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.luxuo.fr%2Farchitecture%2Fagrandissement-palais-monaco.html

Last edited:
Also if you look at the view from the windows of the salon, you see a sort of red pavement and I think it's the same than the one you see on the aereal view behind the new block.
Palais du Prince in Monaco - Rights Managed - Corbis
That's correct.

On this picture I think you can see the big windows on the left side of the new block?
Fichier:2003-04-Nice-41.jpg - Wikipédia
Yes, I think so too.

I also found this article about the changes that were made to the palace to create more room for offices, archives etc.
Google Vertaling

That's very interesting. I never imagined offices, archivec etc. near the pool ;)
Thank you for all the infos!!! :flowers:
I know that at the right side of the red pavement the cars are located.
Palais du Prince in Monaco - 42-23970889 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

In this picture you can see underfoot roads or something, or it is a garden? I couldn't see very good, but there is also a door .. Or not? Does anybody know what is it? And the house with the red roof in the corner?

Must sees in monaco ville | mygola

I think the 18. picture was taken on this road what I said...

http://www.meilink.net/index.php?page=montenpage

I found it! It is the Zoo of Monaco... (?) Very small place for wildanimals... I can't imagine elefants there.
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=43.7312747&lon=7.4196307&z=19&l=21&m=b

Last edited:
I visited the Princely Palace on Friday 17th, and I enjoyed my time there. There were lots of steps to climb up, and in the heat the journey to the palace wasn't that fun! I thought the area around the palace was fascinating, it looked perfect - everything was clean and neat, there was not a trace of litter on the pavements and roads.

Even though the Princely Family are not a family I follow closely, I still found it interesting learning about their family history and the history of Monaco as I did not know much about either beforehand. On the audio guide there was a welcome message from Prince Albert, and I haven't really heard him speak so I was quite surprised by his accent when he spoke English as he sounded very American (though I guess that's from Princess Grace).

You couldn't take photos inside the palace, which was a shame because there were a few rooms that I really liked. I was surprised at how small the rooms were in comparison to the other royal palaces that I have visited. I have heard of Prince Albert I before but didn't really know what he looked like, and after seeing portraits of him at the palace, the first thing that struck me was that his eyes were very similar to Queen Victoria's. I know nowadays there is a Hanover connection with the Grimaldis, but I don't think there was then. It was also interesting to read about the history of Monaco itself, as I hadn't realised that it used to have other colonies or that it first officially belonged to the Grimaldi family in the 1500s.

Below are some photos of my visit (only of the outside of the palace):

Attachments

• Monaco.jpg
    Monaco.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,470
  • Monaco (2).jpg
    Monaco (2).jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,527
  • Monaco (3).jpg
    Monaco (3).jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,538
  • Monaco sea.jpg
    Monaco sea.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,527
  • Princely Palace.jpg
    Princely Palace.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,507
Last edited:
Great photos HereditaryPrincess and glad you enjoyed the trip despite the summer heat,thank you for sharing!

I also found it interesting that Prince Albert speaks English with an American accent. There was his mother's influence, of course. And, he also went to school at UMass.

Dumb question - does anyone have a palace floor plan layout?

I know this is a very old question but if people are still looking for a floor plan of the palace of Monaco, there's an old one in that book: Guide des pays d'Azur, by Philippe Casimir. It's a French travel guide published in 1903. The plan is on page 41. Available on Google Books.

I loved the pictures. :flowers: I also enjoyed visiting this palace one day.

Great photos HereditaryPrincess and glad you enjoyed the trip despite the summer heat,thank you for sharing!

I'm a little late in getting back to you, I've been meaning to reply to this thread but keep on forgetting. Though thank you for your comments, I'm glad you enjoyed my photos!

I also found it interesting that Prince Albert speaks English with an American accent. There was his mother's influence, of course. And, he also went to school at UMass.

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten that Albert went to UMass. Although his mother would've influenced his accent during his childhood and teenage years, I think UMass is probably the reason why he still has an American accent. I've also gotten the impression that the American accent is very easy to pick up (I have friends who moved to Michigan from London, and they had British accents before they came to the US but only after a month of living there, they sounded like they had lived there for their lifetimes) and quite hard to lose.

This is a little late but I just happened to go through this thread looking for something. I have to correct an error. Albert did not go to UMass. He went to Amherst College. They are both located in Amherst Massachusetts but are totally different schools. Amherst College is a private, very expensive college. UMass is a public land grant university. I have relatives that went to both.

It is the ceremonial dining room, the paintings were redone , the furniture has been changed, there are round tablies instead a long table as it was before

It looks splendid. My compliments. I like it when patrimonium is in such good hands.

It was wonderful to see it being used for a formal occasion seeing as State Visits are very rare .

This is a little late but I just happened to go through this thread looking for something. I have to correct an error. Albert did not go to UMass. He went to Amherst College. They are both located in Amherst Massachusetts but are totally different schools. Amherst College is a private, very expensive college. UMass is a public land grant university. I have relatives that went to both.

I went to college in Boston too. I remember Amherst kids would go to Umass Amherst in the summer, because it was cheaper, and when you are paying for a school like that, any little thing helps :lol: and all the Cambridge lot (Harvard, MIT, etc.) would do UMB in the summer.

Anyway, I know this has nothing to do with Albert. I remember reading about his Amherst years and to my knowledge he never did summer courses so it doesn't apply to him.

Amherst is very athletic, with an impressive sports history. I believe it has the oldest football field in the nation. ??? Or maybe just the oldest college football field. I don't know. There was something like that.... That's why it seemed such an apt choice for Albert. He played a lot of sports while studying there too. I believe it's where he learned judo. :D

His friend, the former AS Monaco coach, whose name escapes me just now, was in his class in Amherst and together they arranged the AS Monaco v Amherst soccer match in Monaco, 1984ish? They did a big anniversary match more recently.

The outward bound dinner was held in a beautiful room at the palace. Does anyone know whichone it is?

https://www.facebook.com/palaismona...2246.286449344700945/1783509484994916/?type=3

How very stately and beautiful that room is. When HRH entered the building I noticed that that the guards saluted and gave him the lowest most graceful bow..which must have pleased Andrew much.:lol:;)

It's one of the things I like about the Grimaldis...as tiny as their Principality is they entertain their guests with such Continental flair and elegance.

Can't wait till National Day next week.

:previous:

Here's a video of the Palace and its visitors on the European Heritage Day last Sunday:

On Sunday 23 September the Prince's Palace will participate in European Heritage Day by opening its doors free to the public:

The Grand Apartments of the Prince's Palace
https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=c8c4d73ba6e2955d0dec4a43ba04c528&oe=5C382708

- Visits and conferences from the exhibition "François-Joseph Bosio, Monegasque sculptor, 250th anniversary of his birth"
https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=94140631ebab8b875ac85b41a66472a5&oe=5C2AB9F8
https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=96a0290c83f2a675b0ba6fcabf64fb68&oe=5C19650F

And the collection of cars of Prince Albert
https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=0a5c1106bdc801d4adbc543dadc7efb5&oe=5C1BC090

Thats some collection of cars,pity he doesn't use the vintage car for the grand events in Monaco.

Beautiful. Thanks eya

Reactions: eya
It's wonderful to see the Monegasques supporting the breast cancer cause. The palace looked beautiful lit up in pink tonight - would've been great to see it in person!

Back
Top Bottom