The Late Princess Grace: Pictures and News Part VII

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with previous points about her general frugality and need of some advice at times but honestly, fashion for women over 40 in the 70s and early 80s was hideously frumpy. A lot of what she wore was fashionable for women of her age then.

The 60s she kind of took a hit too. Paola of Belgium was the star princess of the 60s and then add Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn.

The 60s she kind of took a hit too. Paola of Belgium was the star princess of the 60s and then add Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn.

Neither of whom were princesses....

If her movies weren't allowed to be shown in Monaco because they didn't present a sufficiently dignified image (and they didn't), and she was actively and passively scorned and snubbed by Europe's royalty and aristos, purely because the notion of being an actress was unsavory... why would she continue to present as "Grace Kelly of Hollywood", and not reinvent herself as the sedate and unimpeachable Princess of Monaco?

It's a bit like Meghan and her endless neutrals as part of the RF, though I don't want to start with that comparison.

But you seem to think Grace should have gone with her celebrated image. Grace may not have thought it was something to celebrate, given her circumstances.

Neither of whom were princesses....

Paola was.

If her movies weren't allowed to be shown in Monaco because they didn't present a sufficiently dignified image (and they didn't), and she was actively and passively scorned and snubbed by Europe's royalty and aristos, purely because the notion of being an actress was unsavory... why would she continue to present as "Grace Kelly of Hollywood", and not reinvent herself as the sedate and unimpeachable Princess of Monaco?

It's a bit like Meghan and her endless neutrals as part of the RF, though I don't want to start with that comparison.

But you seem to think Grace should have gone with her celebrated image. Grace may not have thought it was something to celebrate, given her circumstances.

"she was actively and passively scorned and snubbed by Europe's royalty and aristos" - The irony when she died all of them came to the funeral.

Last edited by a moderator:
If her movies weren't allowed to be shown in Monaco because they didn't present a sufficiently dignified image (and they didn't), and she was actively and passively scorned and snubbed by Europe's royalty and aristos, purely because the notion of being an actress was unsavory...
Snubbed and scorned by everyone but Queen Ena of Spain who became a very good friend of Grace and Rainier and was the godmother of their son Albert.

Snubbed and scorned by everyone but Queen Ena of Spain who became a very good friend of Grace and Rainier and was the godmother of their son Albert.

Eventually they respected her.

Paola was.

"she was actively and passively scorned and snubbed by Europe's royalty and aristos" - The irony when she died all of them came to the funeral.

I think that is definitely exaggerated. Grace transformed the reputation of the Grimaldi and they became mainstays of any major royal events in the years following her marriage to Ranier. For example, she attended the wedding of Princess Sofia and Prince Juan Carlos in Athens and was given a Greek royal order and also in the 1960's she and Ranier were regulars in Queen Elizabeths party at Ascot and rode in the carriage procession there. ln the 1970s they had front row seats just below the alter in Westminster Abbey at the wedding if Princess Anne; took part in the Shah of Iran's magnificent anniversary celebrations and attended the funeral of Lord Mountbatten who was a great friend of Grace. The 1980's started with Grace befriending Lady Diana Spencer and representing Monaco at her wedding to the Prince of Wales and so on and so forth.

Last edited:
I think that is definitely exaggerated. Grace transformed the reputation of the Grimaldi and they became mainstays of any major royal events in the years following her marriage to Ranier. For example, she attended the wedding of Princess Sofia and Prince Juan Carlos in Athens and was given a Greek royal order and also in the 1960's she and Ranier were regulars in Queen Elizabeths party at Ascot and rode in the carriage procession there. ln the 1970s they had front row seats just below the alter in Westminster Abbey at the wedding if Princess Anne; took part in the Shah of Iran's magnificent anniversary celebrations and attended the funeral of Lord Mountbatten who was a great friend of Grace. The 1980's started with Grace befriending Lady Diana Spencer and representing Monaco at her wedding to the Prince of Wales and so on and so forth.
Is that why so many foreign royals attended Albert and Charlene's wedding? I assumed it was because they felt like they messed up missing out on the "wedding of a century" with Grace and Rainier. But it makes sense that maybe it was because Grace worked to form better relationships with other royal families

The Princess was also enjoyed a friendship with Queen Ena of Spain who was godmother to her son Prince Albert and later with Queen Sofia and the Spanish born Queen Fabiola of Belgium.

Princess Grace and the Spanish Dowager Queen
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5a/04/4e/5a044ed024ec814c582848403639221a.jpg

Grace was simply a wonderful ambassador for the Principality of Monaco

The Princely Couple with King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola in March 1969.
https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/454441418631954017/

Last edited:
I 100% agree with this. She worked really hard to befriend many royal families and it paid off. But after her death the Grimaldis were kind of separated from the other Royals until Albert became sovereign prince.

They weren't "separated", it was simply that Rainier wasn't a very social person.. and didn't doa lot of mixing. Though I think he had a ladyfriend form the German upper crust. However I gather that Albert has been more of a mixer.. which is just as well as Charlene isn't....

They weren't "separated", it was simply that Rainier wasn't a very social person.. and didn't doa lot of mixing. Though I think he had a ladyfriend form the German upper crust. However I gather that Albert has been more of a mixer.. which is just as well as Charlene isn't....
Rainier was in a relationship with his cousin (through their great-grandmother Mary Douglas-Hamilton) Ira von Furstenberg after the death of Grace. It's rumoured that they intended to get married, but that he called it off after she talked about it to the press. Another rumour is that a jealous Caroline put a stop to it.

Various places and venues across Ireland are marking the 60th Anniversary of the State Visit of Prince Rainier III and Princess Grace to the Irish Republic in June 1961.

It seems that even in the 21st century the late Princess memory is still strong in the Irish Republic.

Several women actually fainted in the huge crowds who gathered to see the Princess in Dublin ,June 1961

Last edited:
I have posted in the Electronic thread in the Royal Library section of these forums, details of a new documentary airing on Channel 4 in the UK this evening at 9pm. It appears to have been made with the help of the Grimaldis with previously unseen home movies.

HSH Princess Grace visits the National Stud in County Kildare 11/06/1961

https://irishphotoarchive.photoshelter.com/image/I0000nnViFPRQHJs

TSH Prince Rainier III and Princess Grace at the chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes in Drogheda 13/06/1961

https://irishphotoarchive.photoshelter.com/image/I0000AwBe7snoINI

HSH Princess Grace in Westport, county Mayo 15/06/1961

https://irishphotoarchive.photoshelter.com/image/I0000O.RPIIX3Fc4

The Prince and Princess attend the The Imperial Ball, Manhattan in 1958

Last edited:
Princess Grace in London in July 1981 with US First Lady Nancy Regan and Princess Alexandra of Kent at a reception at Winfield House (Residence of the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom)

Back
Top Bottom