The Late Princess Grace: Pictures and News Part VII

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering if the Palace would mark the occasion of the 90th anniversary of Grace Kelly's birth,the photos are wonderful.

So pleased that the Palace have decided to mark this poignant anniversary.

I found this earlier its from the Irish State Archives .Following the death of the Princess a book of condolences was opened at the Dublin home of the Honorary Consul General of Monaco, Lord Killanin .One of the visitors was the then he Taoiseach of Ireland (Prime Minister) Charles J. Haughey as well as former ones.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0905/902433-ireland-mourns-princess-grace/

The Irish State was the only one to represented by a Head of State at the State funeral in Monaco.
The then President of Ireland Dr. Patrick J. Hillery joined the Princess of Wales ,the U.S. First Lady Nancy Reagan the French First Lady, Queen Anne Marie of Greece, Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg, The Infanta Pilar of Spain, Prince Bertil of Sweden, Princess Benedikte of Denmark among the many royal guests.

The visits to Ireland also caused huge excitement here

Pauline O'Regan who worked for Irish Fashion designer Irene Gilbert talks about a visit by Princess Grace to the studio on St Stephen's Green, Dublin in the 60's.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my favorite interview of Princess Grace. My mother adored her:

Last edited:
Princess Grace filmed "The Nativity " a Christmas Message at St. Peter's Basilica in The Vatican for Christmas 1981. Am I detecting an Irish accent?

I found this earlier its from the Irish State Archives .Following the death of the Princess a book of condolences was opened at the Dublin home of the Honorary Consul General of Monaco, Lord Killanin .One of the visitors was the then he Taoiseach of Ireland (Prime Minister) Charles J. Haughey as well as former ones.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0905/902433-ireland-mourns-princess-grace/

The Irish State was the only one to represented by a Head of State at the State funeral in Monaco.
The then President of Ireland Dr. Patrick J. Hillery joined the Princess of Wales ,the U.S. First Lady Nancy Reagan the French First Lady, Queen Anne Marie of Greece, Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg, The Infanta Pilar of Spain, Prince Bertil of Sweden, Princess Benedikte of Denmark among the many royal guests.

She was half Irish by blood I think. I don't know which part of Ireland the Kelly family came from. It's a common surname in many parts of Ireland I understand.

Did she have links with Ireland in her lifetime I wonder?

She had relatives in Ireland, and I remember her visiting when I was a child...Kelly is as common a name as Jones..or Smith... and I think that mabye she had a place in ireland that she spent soem holidays in, for a time. I dont think she has an Irish accent....but her father was Irish and her mohter German American...

She was half Irish by blood I think. I don't know which part of Ireland the Kelly family came from. It's a common surname in many parts of Ireland I understand.

Did she have links with Ireland in her lifetime I wonder?

Princes Grace's Irish roots were from near Newport, Co. Mayo in the West of Ireland. Her grandfather John Peter Kelly was born there in 1857.

The Princess paid regular visits to Ireland through out the 60's and 70's .

An Ard Ri & Denville - thank you for your answers.:flowers:

Mayo is a gorgeous part of the world.

I'd imagine the Princess walked in the footsteps of her Irish ancestors on that pilgrimage to Croagh Patrick (St Patrick's Mountain) in County Mayo.

I've just watched the clips up thread. It must have been quite the social occasion at the time. Nice to think she maintained links.

Rather different climate in Mayo to the French Riviera!!

Oh my goodness!!!!

It shows the interior of Powerscourt House before the fire!!!!!

I've never seen it on film before. Only in pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always struck by the crowds the Princess attracted in Ireland on her visits here and really had a special place in the hearts of the Irish.

My grandmother has often told the story about how she was in the hospital giving birth at the same time as Princess Grace was giving birth to Prince Albert in 1958 (not in the same hospital of course). Everyone was glued to the radio to get fresh news and apparently she kept asking while giving labour "Has Gracean (the dear Grace) given birth yet?". So yes, Grace was wildly popular and adored at the time even in a Swedish small town hospital.

My grandmother has often told the story about how she was in the hospital giving birth at the same time as Princess Grace was giving birth to Prince Albert in 1958 (not in the same hospital of course). Everyone was glued to the radio to get fresh news and apparently she kept asking while giving labour "Has Gracean (the dear Grace) given birth yet?". So yes, Grace was wildly popular and adored at the time even in a Swedish small town hospital.

That's a really lovely story.

I watched the State Funeral of Princess Grace with my grandmother I can vaguely remember the silence in her house as everyone sat around and watched it.

I used to have a pretty picture of Grace as my avatar. I just noticed we don't have avatars or signatures anymore.

Visit to New York and Philadelphia in November 1958 by Prince Rainier III & Princess Grace.
Nice interview towards the end and the Prince is silent.

Her matronly turn after becoming a princess is discussed in another thread, but wow, Altesse looks terrific here.

Apologies for no English, but her French was really praiseworthy. They asked about continuing her career and she said "it's too late now". :(

Her matronly turn after becoming a princess is discussed in another thread, but wow, Altesse looks terrific here.

Apologies for no English, but her French was really praiseworthy. They asked about continuing her career and she said "it's too late now". :(

I'm sorry to say this so blatantly but she was and still is a fantastic princess <3

Sorry I was one of those who said her fashion turned matronly after she became a princess but with some star moments. I had wish Edith Head or Helen Rose were her main stylist even as a princess. They made the "Grace Kelly Look".

I'm sorry to say this so blatantly but she was and still is a fantastic princess <3

Sorry I was one of those who said her fashion turned matronly after she became a princess but with some star moments. I had wish Edith Head or Helen Rose were her main stylist even as a princess. They made the "Grace Kelly Look".

why woudl she want the "Grace Kelly look" when she was married and a princess.....

why woudl she want the "Grace Kelly look" when she was married and a princess.....

As much as some may not want to admit it, every public figure has a look or statement pieces. I just meant Edith Head knew her well and created the most beautiful and iconic looks so I never understood why she didn't ask her to create clothes for her as a princess.

As much as some may not want to admit it, every public figure has a look or statement pieces. I just meant Edith Head knew her well and created the most beautiful and iconic looks so I never understood why she didn't ask her to create clothes for her as a princess.

Because Edith Head was a Hollywood costume designer, not the dressmaker to royality....

Because Edith Head was a Hollywood costume designer, not the dressmaker to royality....

It really isn't hard for a designer to be a dressmaker to royalty... Givenchy, Chanel, Dior done it plenty of times.

Anyways she still looked lovely even if it fashion took a hit. I read she kind of was lost after she became a princess because she didn't have the studio helping her fashion wise.

So true, Kitty1224, I think it's fair to say that Grace wasn't by nature into fashion - when a young actress in Hollywood, she knew what suited her and her look caught on but later on I can't remember which couturier it was who stated that Grace kept all of her clothes far too long "I couldn't get her out of them" and was also by nature rather frugal so these reasons might go to explain a bit why she wasn't always a fashion hit as she got older. Also, the 70s and 80s were not a great time for a middle-aged lady to look both stylish and age-appropriate.

Last edited:
So true, Kitty1224, I think it's fair to say that Grace wasn't by nature into fashion - when a young actress in Hollywood, she knew what suited her and her look caught on but later on I can't remember which couturier it was who stated that Grace kept all of her clothes far too long "I couldn't get her out of them" and was also by nature rather frugal so these reasons might go to explain a bit why she wasn't always a fashion hit as she got older. Also, the 70s and 80s were not a great time for a middle-aged lady to look both stylish and age-appropriate.
Totally agree. Even her makeup was very minimal then again with a face like that you don’t need to be dolled up :)
Still I still think she’s one of the best princesses of the 20th century and still has an impact to this day.

It really isn't hard for a designer to be a dressmaker to royalty... Givenchy, Chanel, Dior done it plenty of times.

Anyways she still looked lovely even if it fashion took a hit. I read she kind of was lost after she became a princess because she didn't have the studio helping her fashion wise.

I doubt it. She wasn't a film star any mor and I think she was happy to be a wife and mother...

I agree with previous points about her general frugality and need of some advice at times but honestly, fashion for women over 40 in the 70s and early 80s was hideously frumpy. A lot of what she wore was fashionable for women of her age then.

Back
Top Bottom