The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #321  
Old 05-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Sensibility's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ginebra, Switzerland
Posts: 389
Princess Grace during the "American Week" 1966, does anybody know who is this little girl? Her niece perhaps?

Does the "American Week" still be celebrated in Monaco now?
__________________

__________________
Violet E. Van der Woodsen.
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 PM
flowerpower's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: +, Vatican City
Posts: 431
Grace Beauty
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 05-26-2010, 04:06 AM
gracienic's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 59
^ Oh yes, she is beautiful in that picture! Thank you, flowerpower! :)
__________________
"Fairy tales tell imaginary stories. I am a living person. I exist. The day someone tells of my life as a real woman you will discover the true person that I am." -Grace Kelly

I Heart Grace Kelly - Aroud the Corner

Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 PM
flowerpower's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: +, Vatican City
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracienic View Post
^ Oh yes, she is beautiful in that picture! Thank you, flowerpower! :)

Thank you gracienic
I also think she is especially beautiful in that Pic, I visit your site ( I heart Grace Kelly) What a wonderful display of beautiful Pictures of Grace , congratulations !
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 05-26-2010, 06:08 PM
darasmom's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shawnee, United States
Posts: 76
enchanting she was

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
How enchanthing was she?!!! How could anyone not be mesmerized by her loveliness? Not to mention that, from what I've read and heard, she was, in Jimmy Stewart's words, "just about the nicest person" you could ever meet. Thanks for this delightful pic, flowerpower. Her warmth and diginity shine through.
__________________
Sheila is Dara's mom
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 05-26-2010, 11:50 PM
gracienic's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
Thank you gracienic
I also think she is especially beautiful in that Pic, I visit your site ( I heart Grace Kelly) What a wonderful display of beautiful Pictures of Grace , congratulations !
Thank you, flowerpower! You made me smile. :)
__________________
"Fairy tales tell imaginary stories. I am a living person. I exist. The day someone tells of my life as a real woman you will discover the true person that I am." -Grace Kelly

I Heart Grace Kelly - Aroud the Corner

Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 05-27-2010, 05:53 AM
Sensibility's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ginebra, Switzerland
Posts: 389
Thank you so much. Lovely pic and lovely blog site.:)
__________________
Violet E. Van der Woodsen.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 05-30-2010, 07:07 PM
sherylal24's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mount Joy, United States
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensibility View Post
Princess Grace during the "American Week" 1966, does anybody know who is this little girl? Her niece perhaps?

Does the "American Week" still be celebrated in Monaco now?
To me, it looks like Grace Levine, Princess's Grace's niece. (Lizanne's daughter who passed away in 99 of cancer)She would have been around 10. She visited Monaco alot and was very close to Caroline when they were younger.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 06-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Nathalie Cox's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: in a corner of ..., Argentina
Posts: 2,702
I don't know if this goes here, but:
Grace's passport?
__________________
* * The eyes are the mirror of the soul* *
The Impossible is what the mind can not imagine ...
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 06-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Duchessmary's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, United States
Posts: 1,087
Wow, that's an interesting piece of memorabilla!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 06-12-2010, 12:08 PM
agogo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: cte d'ocan Pacifique, United States
Posts: 717
Amazing photo of her passport, where is it now? And her name is written as "Grace KELLY Grimaldi". I never heard that she kept her maiden name.
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 06-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Nathalie Cox's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: in a corner of ..., Argentina
Posts: 2,702
I would like to now as well where is it now. It's interesting to see the signature as Grace Kelly Grimaldi, i've never saw on another official document before.
__________________
* * The eyes are the mirror of the soul* *
The Impossible is what the mind can not imagine ...
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 06-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 177
In another posting on this site a member opined that the family name of the princely house of Monaco-Menton was properly, de Polignac ( Price Albert's paternal grandfather being a count of Polignac) so that the late Princess Consort use of the surname Kelly-Grimaldi is interesting. It is of course a tradition in America, Spain and formerly Scotland (other nations too) that ladies of rank keep and incorporate their own family's surname.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Thecia's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere, Spain
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereditary Thane View Post
In another posting on this site a member opined that the family name of the princely house of Monaco-Menton was properly, de Polignac ( Price Albert's paternal grandfather being a count of Polignac) so that the late Princess Consort use of the surname Kelly-Grimaldi is interesting. It is of course a tradition in America, Spain and formerly Scotland (other nations too) that ladies of rank keep and incorporate their own family's surname.
In this case, I would refer to the British royal family, who are still technically the House of Windsor and publicly use the Windsor surname, though all of Elizabeth and Philip's children privately use the surname of "Mountbatten-Windsor". It would seem that though a child's surname is generally passed down through the male, in such cases where the wife is the one of higher rank and succession and the husband marries into the family, to keep the continuation of the family the wife's surname is used. So even though Louis was a Polignac, Rainier and Antoinette would have been given the surname Grimaldi to preserve the family house seeing as they were next in line after their mother. Privately though, I've heard Stephanie prefers to use the surname "Polignac", as was done when she was at school so that the paparazzi had less chance of catching wind than if they read "Stephanie Grimaldi" on the roll. I've no idea what Caroline goes under though. Legally she's "Caroline von Hannover" but Christian (her step-son) just uses "Christian Hannover" doesn't he? But indeed, it is still interesting that privately Grace used "Kelly-Grimaldi". I would have thought she would have dropped her maiden name all together. Though I guess it would have been easier or something to keep Kelly as well. It's a great photo though. Thanks Nat!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 06-17-2010, 06:47 AM
DuedePhiladelphia's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: philadelphia, United States
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecia View Post
In this case, I would refer to the British royal family, who are still technically the House of Windsor and publicly use the Windsor surname, though all of Elizabeth and Philip's children privately use the surname of "Mountbatten-Windsor". It would seem that though a child's surname is generally passed down through the male, in such cases where the wife is the one of higher rank and succession and the husband marries into the family, to keep the continuation of the family the wife's surname is used. So even though Louis was a Polignac, Rainier and Antoinette would have been given the surname Grimaldi to preserve the family house seeing as they were next in line after their mother. Privately though, I've heard Stephanie prefers to use the surname "Polignac", as was done when she was at school so that the paparazzi had less chance of catching wind than if they read "Stephanie Grimaldi" on the roll. I've no idea what Caroline goes under though. Legally she's "Caroline von Hannover" but Christian (her step-son) just uses "Christian Hannover" doesn't he? But indeed, it is still interesting that privately Grace used "Kelly-Grimaldi". I would have thought she would have dropped her maiden name all together. Though I guess it would have been easier or something to keep Kelly as well. It's a great photo though. Thanks Nat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darasmom View Post
How enchanthing was she?!!! How could anyone not be mesmerized by her loveliness? Not to mention that, from what I've read and heard, she was, in Jimmy Stewart's words, "just about the nicest person" you could ever meet. Thanks for this delightful pic, flowerpower. Her warmth and diginity shine through.

If you really think it about... its a shame really..... All the sacrifices and the image control that Rainier asked of Grace and the biggest gamble of all to actually marry PR and bring the principality riches, recognition and attention on the world's scale.

If they could have had a crystal ball and saw the future of their son and heir ...tsk...tsk Grace could have kept on making movies for the rest of her life- The royal image has ceased with the passing of Grace and Rainier in Monaco
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,328
It looks like a U.S. passport so I can see why she might keep the Kelly name. That raises all kinds of interesting questions. Were they afraid that France might try to take over Monaco? Was she hedging her bets that her marriage might not work out? Why didn't she use a Monaco passport?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 06-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Elly C's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Worcester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,846
Jeffrey Robinson makes a brief reference to Grace holding an American passport in his book "Rainier & Grace":
"She never hid the fact that she was American & for a long time she & all three children held American passports. Eventually they let them go for practical reasons - the United States is the only country in the world that taxes anyone holding an American passport on his or her worldwide income." Robinson goes on to discuss how Grace continued to miss things about the States & tried to recreate some aspects of the culture in Monaco.

I have a feeling the passport may have been on exhibition as part of the major tribute held in Monaco -there was certainly a lot of personal memorabilia on display. I should imagine the passport is in the possession of the Grimaldi family along with her other private papers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 06-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,328
I know PG had dual citizenship until her 25th wedding anniversary. I am now wondering if she would have lost her American citizenship by using a Monaco passport. That's interesting that the children also used American passports. I know Monaco's relations with France have been testy from time to time. Also that Monaco let the US Navy anchor in their waters when France refused to do the same.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 06-18-2010, 01:31 PM
darasmom's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shawnee, United States
Posts: 76
I hope these haven't been posted already....

http://i47.tinypic.com/1zl3cjl.jpg

This caption was attached to the following picture:

"Princess Grace of Monaco (born Grace Kelly) waiting for the arrival of Grand Prix Esso at Quebec-City Winter Carnival, 1969, with Quebec mayor and some officials. Yes, she seems having spotted me, but this is not why I like this picture." The photographer, identified as Michel Baron, dates this 10 February 1969...exactly 10 years before I was born coincidentally
http://i46.tinypic.com/2uhb7yb.jpg
Credit to Michel Baron

And the picture of Grace's passport is so interesting...was that on display at one of the recent exhibitions? And just to add to the coversation, I remember reading a brief letter Grace wrote to TIME magazine in 1966 that they printed as being signed 'Grace Kelly Grimaldi'. The letter was in response to their coverage of her famous visit to Spain that year when she and Prince Rainier were guests of honor. The press widely sensationalized that the former U.S. First Lady, Jacqueline Kennedy, "upstaged" them...to Grace's fury. Grace countered that Mrs. Kennedy was welcome to "upstage" her at any time and that her so-called furious facial expressions were actually in reaction to being nearly trampled by photographers.
__________________
Sheila is Dara's mom
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
queenofthelight's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by darasmom View Post
I hope these haven't been posted already....

http://i47.tinypic.com/1zl3cjl.jpg

This caption was attached to the following picture:

"Princess Grace of Monaco (born Grace Kelly) waiting for the arrival of Grand Prix Esso at Quebec-City Winter Carnival, 1969, with Quebec mayor and some officials. Yes, she seems having spotted me, but this is not why I like this picture." The photographer, identified as Michel Baron, dates this 10 February 1969...exactly 10 years before I was born coincidentally
http://i46.tinypic.com/2uhb7yb.jpg
Credit to Michel Baron

And the picture of Grace's passport is so interesting...was that on display at one of the recent exhibitions? And just to add to the coversation, I remember reading a brief letter Grace wrote to TIME magazine in 1966 that they printed as being signed 'Grace Kelly Grimaldi'. The letter was in response to their coverage of her famous visit to Spain that year when she and Prince Rainier were guests of honor. The press widely sensationalized that the former U.S. First Lady, Jacqueline Kennedy, "upstaged" them...to Grace's fury. Grace countered that Mrs. Kennedy was welcome to "upstage" her at any time and that her so-called furious facial expressions were actually in reaction to being nearly trampled by photographers.
The second photo is amazing!!!
I have seen it for the first time!!!

http://i47.tinypic.com/23llfn6.jpg (1976)
http://i49.tinypic.com/2d945rq.jpg
__________________

__________________
"I've had happy moments in my life, but I don't think that happiness - being happy - is a perpetual state that anyone can be in. Life isn't that way." HSH Princess Grace of Monaco.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Late Princess Grace of Monaco - Part VI Zonk Princely Family of Monaco 541 10-11-2009 01:18 AM
The late Princess Grace Part V tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 184 01-06-2009 09:51 PM
The late Princess Grace Part IV Zonk Princely Family of Monaco 191 04-20-2008 04:21 PM
The late Princess Grace part 3 Elspeth Princely Family of Monaco 198 03-21-2007 07:50 PM
The Late Princess Grace Part II Gabriella Princely Family of Monaco 197 03-19-2006 06:40 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games olympics ottoman poland pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]