The late Princess Grace Part IV

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glistening Seas

:)iceflower that pic is magnificent. what a gorgeous outfit that's the first time i have seen that photo and it's beautiful. well we all think Pss Grace is a true beauty. :innocent::monacostandard::fireworks:

While out and about at the grocery store today, I noticed that LIFE magazine had a special issue regarding Princess Grace. Has anyone picked it up?

I have a question ...Is it true or not, that Grace and Rainier attended a soccer match on their wedding day? I have read they did this in a couple of bios...

While out and about at the grocery store today, I noticed that LIFE magazine had a special issue regarding Princess Grace. Has anyone picked it up?

Yes I have. Worth the $10.99. It is a "summarized" version of Howell Conant's famous photo book on her.

It mainly features Grace the actress though, but also has a good number of pages on the days leading to the wedding -- the trans-Atlantic journey to Monaco on the Constitution especially.

Although I wanted to see more pics of Grace as the Princess, I am not disappointed. It really was lovingly made, and anyone not too familiar with Grace would be firmly convinced that aside from her being one of the most beautiful women in history, she also led a truly magnificent life esp since whe was so loved by her Prince.

But also do understand that on the cover, it states "Display Until 12/10/2007" so better get your copies now. The publishers want it to be a real collector's item :)

I saw The Life publication too and thought the photos were beautiful... but was also disappointed that there were so few pictures of her as princess. I wondered if that was intentional since Grace Kelly, the actress, ceased to exist after the marriage.

royrrules, I may be starting a fire storm here, but I'm not so sure that she was so loved by the prince. They did live separate lives for many years and had so few interests in common, aside from their children. Perhaps what was seen as Prince Rainier's love and grief was sorrow at lost opportunities (or sorrow at not having expressed his love while she was alive)?

What I really meant to talk about was that I had seen David Niven's son Jamie on The Today Show talking about a Princess Grace exhibition in New York City. The exhibition has, among other things, her engagement ring, a tiara, jewelry, and clothing, including an Edith Head dress and a green Givenchy day dress for auction. The green Givenchy dress was worn when the Prince and Princess met the Kennedys at the White House. I was startled by the unusual (IMO awful) color of the dress because I had only ever seen the photo in black and white.

Hi iowabelle. Regarding Prince Rainier's love for Grace, I meant that the pictures depicted such romantic portraits that anyone who has not read the various biographies or who is seeing Grace for the first time in that publication would be convinced that it was truly a marriage that had no bumps. And I agree with you regarding the anchor of his grief in her passing. According to "Once Upon A Time" the marriage was at its most glowing in its last years. Rainier would miss Grace so when she's at Paris and vice versa. He also was more accommodating to her Hollywood friends and aspirations.

Yes, it is quite startling to see the actual color of her clothes. But it is actually just the same, or even worse, with Jackie Kennedy's. Some years ago, there was an auction of her possessions, so all these much photographed dresses were suddenly revealed in their actual color. Observers were shocked by the yellows, fuschias, applegreens, etc, as they assumed her dresses were mostly black and white.

But Grace can carry color better than Jackie because of her blondeness. And because Grace was more traditional with her hair and make-up, her look was more classic. Jackie was easily more associated with a particular decade because of the styles that she either pioneered or followed.

I have to agree about the gaudy colours of some of her outfits, but many of these are from the 60's & early 70's! When I saw the outfit Grace wore to her first meeting with Rainier at the Palace (as part of the Tribute exhibition in Monaco), I could understand why all the accounts you read indicate it wasn't the best choice - the cabbage roses on the floral print were pretty hideous, but she still managed to carry it off with style.

I've just come across a reference on the web site of the Princess Grace Foundation to this October's edition of Town & Country Magazine which will contain a special tribute to Princess Grace.... Oh you lucky residents of the USA, first the Life Magazine Tribute & now this.

Town and COuntry

I have the new Town and Country tribute and it is pretty nice. Apparently, estee lauder recreated the colour of the lipstick Grace wore on her wedding day and you can buy it. I'm not sure when it will be available, but it sounds cool. lol It's called "Signature Hydra Lustre Lipstick in Princess Grace Coral ($19.50). The tribute also came with a bunch of brief interviews of people that knew Grace including: Lizanna, Caroline, Albert and Stephanie plus a lot of pictures too.

I'm from Canada and I bought it. THe price tag on the front has a U.S., Canadian and Foreign price. So, It might be available in quite a few countries. Cheers

I have the new Town and Country tribute and it is pretty nice. Apparently, estee lauder recreated the colour of the lipstick Grace wore on her wedding day and you can buy it. I'm not sure when it will be available, but it sounds cool. lol It's called "Signature Hydra Lustre Lipstick in Princess Grace Coral ($19.50). The tribute also came with a bunch of brief interviews of people that knew Grace including: Lizanna, Caroline, Albert and Stephanie plus a lot of pictures too.

I'm from Canada and I bought it. THe price tag on the front has a U.S., Canadian and Foreign price. So, It might be available in quite a few countries. Cheers

One of Princess Grace's original lipsitcks was called Tangee which you can find at a place called the Vermont Country store. What it does is that it changes color on the person who wears it. Thus if you are have fair skin and are blonde it will become a more coral shade but if you have olive skin and brunette hair it will take on a different color and so on. I haven't tried it myself by I will one of these days.

I have to agree about the gaudy colours of some of her outfits, but many of these are from the 60's & early 70's! When I saw the outfit Grace wore to her first meeting with Rainier at the Palace (as part of the Tribute exhibition in Monaco), I could understand why all the accounts you read indicate it wasn't the best choice - the cabbage roses on the floral print were pretty hideous, but she still managed to carry it off with style.

I loved the cabbage rose craze in the 80s... but you're right, it's hideous for clothing.

But I did love how she pulled her hair back and put the headpiece on, for that first meeting with the Prince. She was so classically beautiful she could get away with that.

I loved the cabbage rose craze in the 80s... but you're right, it's hideous for clothing.

But I did love how she pulled her hair back and put the headpiece on, for that first meeting with the Prince. She was so classically beautiful she could get away with that.

The story about the cabbage rose dress has been written about many times, also on this board I believe. So briefly, I will just mention she didn't lke the dress either. There was some kind of labor strike going on at the time and as a result there wasn't any electricity in her hotel that day and it was the only dress that didn't need to be pressed. There is a story about how she had to handle her hair that day as well. She seemed to pull it together, but she really wanted to cancel, but was advised it would be a good idea to do the PR event. I noticed they have a picture of her with the actor Jean-Pierre Aumont (the guy she was really interested in & spending time with, at the time she met Rainier) in the Town & Country tribute.

I had the pleasure of seeing the exhibit a few days ago. Great turnout, great exhibit. Everything was exquisite there were oohs and aahhs for the 10-carat engagement ring and other jewelries during her "Princess" years (all exquisite). Men, women, children (a woman brought along her 2 year old and 4-year old boys and explained to them about this beautiful little girl who became and actress and then a princess).

What else? A lot of women said that she Princess Grace gave up a lot when she married Prince Rainier - especially her career at such a young age. The seating arrangements for the religious wedding at the cathedral was mind-boggling (it was like reading a map), there was a complete astrological chart (big book) on the occasion of her 40th b-day, a letter from the Prince of Wales in 1979, a letter from QEII congratulating PG and PR on the birth of Princess Stephanie, hats, many dresses, the wedding program, wedding invitations, etc.

The comment I most often heard was how truly beautiful she was even as a little girl, and how no actress nowadays can surpass her beauty.

I just got back from the exhibit at Sotheby's. I loved the engagement ring and tiaras! The way they sparkled was just amazing. The line to get into the exhibit wrapped around the entire building so it was definitely a big success. Also on display were the Duchess of Windsor's pearl jewelry that Calvin Klein's wife is putting up for auction. It was definitely a wonderful tribute.

I just got back from the exhibit at Sotheby's. I loved the engagement ring and tiaras! The way they sparkled was just amazing. The line to get into the exhibit wrapped around the entire building so it was definitely a big success. Also on display were the Duchess of Windsor's pearl jewelry that Calvin Klein's wife is putting up for auction. It was definitely a wonderful tribute.
Me too!! I went there yesterday weren't her gowns and tiaras beautiful. I thought her Dior gowns were absolutely beautiful.

Yea. I've seen a lot of them in pictures but seeing them up close was amazing. They really are gorgeous!

Her engagement ring and tiaras blew me away I also enjoyed looking at the tv screens showing different aspects of her life. Are these dresses only for display or are they auctioning some of them off?

I unfortunately forgot to take my camera with me but I don't think we were allowed to take pictures though.

I don't think cameras were allowed. I could be wrong but I didn't see anyone with a camera.

Great clippings , Iceflower! When I saw the left picture
of the third clipping I immediately thought of the "snow
queen" and I think the Italian caption says the same,
very wonderful :) Here is a pic of Princess Grace
at a conference in 1979

http://i22.tinypic.com/2d0fmrr.jpg

Last night, I watched another program on the Biography Channel about HSH Princess Grace. I was a huge fan of Grace, and to this day, think that she was the most lovely of all the commoner princesses, ever. The program, in its claims was a real eye-opener to me, however.

First, it said that at the end of WW2, Monaco was virtually bankrupt. Prince Rainier did a deal with Ari Onassis and that the two of them decided that the way to riches and to restore Monaco's fortunes was to woo America and introduce very lax money laws. The prince was adamant in what he wanted, hence his proposal to Grace who was in a long-term relationship with fashion-designer Oleg Cassini. When Grace married, her movie studio, MGM, provided all of the money and spectacle, and even designed, made and paid for Grace's exquisite gown! Grace's personal friends, while interviewed, corroborated this, as well as attesting to how very unhappy she was, for a long, long time. Of course, Prince Albert's arrival gave her thoughts a more positive direction.

The program continued to describe how Grace's presence brought about a huge trade in international visitors, particularly from America, which brought rewards for Onassis' investments and business acitivites which he promoted. The famous English writer, Somerset Maugham, wrote that Monaco was 'a very sunny place for very shady people'. The suggestion, thoughout, was that Monaco transformed from being almost impoverished to a glittering jewel, made fabulously wealthy by questionable practices!

The program then continued to make the point that HSH Grace transformed Monaco into what it is today - i.e. she put it 'on the map' and made it fashionable, single-handedly.

I wonder how much, those who know more about Monaco than I, think that this is true. I do know that it so that Monaco was a most insignificant part of the world before Grace married and the big money rolled in; I remember Prince Albert's saying, more or less, that he wanted to 'clean up' Monaco when he became the ruler; and I understand how much value and faith is being placed on Grace's beautiful Casarighi grandchildren to ensure the future and integrity of Monaco. However, I'd like confirmation from those who know more about the principality that the program was right, i.e. that modern-day Monaco is due to HSH Grace alone, and prince Rainier's courting of 'funny money'.

Last night, I watched another program on the Biography Channel about HSH Princess Grace. I was a huge fan of Grace, and to this day, think that she was the most lovely of all the commoner princesses, ever. The program, in its claims was a real eye-opener to me, however.

First, it said that at the end of WW2, Monaco was virtually bankrupt. Prince Rainier did a deal with Ari Onassis and that the two of them decided that the way to riches and to restore Monaco's fortunes was to woo America and introduce very lax money laws. The prince was adamant in what he wanted, hence his proposal to Grace who was in a long-term relationship with fashion-designer Oleg Cassini. When Grace married, her movie studio, MGM, provided all of the money and spectacle, and even designed, made and paid for Grace's exquisite gown! Grace's personal friends, while interviewed, corroborated this, as well as attesting to how very unhappy she was, for a long, long time. Of course, Prince Albert's arrival gave her thoughts a more positive direction.

The program continued to describe how Grace's presence brought about a huge trade in international visitors, particularly from America, which brought rewards for Onassis' investments and business acitivites which he promoted. The famous English writer, Somerset Maugham, wrote that Monaco was 'a very sunny place for very shady people'. The suggestion, thoughout, was that Monaco transformed from being almost impoverished to a glittering jewel, made fabulously wealthy by questionable practices!

The program then continued to make the point that HSH Grace transformed Monaco into what it is today - i.e. she put it 'on the map' and made it fashionable, single-handedly.

I wonder how much, those who know more about Monaco than I, think that this is true. I do know that it so that Monaco was a most insignificant part of the world before Grace married and the big money rolled in; I remember Prince Albert's saying, more or less, that he wanted to 'clean up' Monaco when he became the ruler; and I understand how much value and faith is being placed on Grace's beautiful Casarighi grandchildren to ensure the future and integrity of Monaco. However, I'd like confirmation from those who know more about the principality that the program was right, i.e. that modern-day Monaco is due to HSH Grace alone, and prince Rainier's courting of 'funny money'.

hey polly, the programm you say seemed to be a very good one. hope i could have watch it..

anyway...i have also heard a lot of thing after prince rainier's death...my english is not so good so i can't explain in details...i heard about money laundering, drugs,...it was said that monaco wasn't the perfect-principality without-problem people sold us. people are suspiscious about monaco great enrichment. because of the taxes, the principality attracts a lot of banking institution.

about grace putting monaco on the map....i heard that too...apparently at that time, monaco was a "provincial" village... i remember a funny thing...when grace told her parents that she was going to marry the prince of monaco, her mother thought that she had said morrocco...lol...nobody knew monaco at that time.

it has been told that the MGM studios offer grace her wedding gown...but i don't know if they have paid for the entire wedding.....

i think that what your programm said was true..i heard it many many times...

... i remember a funny thing...when grace told her parents that she was going to marry the prince of monaco, her mother thought that she had said morrocco...lol...nobody knew monaco at that time....

:lol: ^ cute!

It could very well be that MGM paid for all expenses in the wedding. From what I read, once marrying Prince Ranier she wouldn't be able to act anymore. Having contractual obligation, MGM believed that broadcasting and publicizing the wedding would be a good tradeoff. The hype that it created would include monetary gains for MGM. How much of this is true, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom