The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
LIFE Magazine has just released (September, 2007 issue) a BEAUTIFUL photo tribute to the late Princess Grace. The entire magazine issue is exclusively Grace photos - many of which I have never seen before (and I thought I saw them all!). It's truly worth purchasing.
I saw a few pictures from it and they were fabulous! I'm going to go down and buy it as soon as I can.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Aristocracy

Smile problems with older colognes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals View Post
Ianna and monaco70s, thanks for your help !

Ianna, I can't believe these prices ! It makes wish I had bought it when I saw it at Neiman Marcus 3 or 4 years ago ! It was under $100.00, but I felt it was an indulgence I didn't need. Then of course, finding it again became an obsession. It's hard to decide when to be impulsive and when not, isn't it ladies ?

monaco70s, as for Lancaster, when I was a teenager, I bought the Lancaster products because they carried the name of the Princess of Monaco on them. I remember even asking a saleslady whether Princess Grace really used the products. She gave me a funny look...

I remember that perfume Babe, I never used it, but I remember the publicity campaign. I was a fan of Margaux Hemingway too, so I kind of followed things associated with her.

Well, maybe someone knows the story of the association between the Princess and Faberge... I certainly have never seen her in ads.

Thanks to you both for tracking these things down for me !
the problem with discontinued colognes/perfumes is that older stock can "turn" depending on the oils and alcohols used. Even current colognes can change scent based on storage conditions. I have had to exchange current stock if the scent has changed so I'd be wary of ordering anything old. But yes, I have tracked down many items online that I couldn't afford at the time but can now--if I can find it. Good luck in finding an affordable one!

Old 09-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Here's a collection of pics of Grace at the Versaille Palace Ball in 1973

Grace - 1
Grace - 2
Grace - 3
Grace - 4
Grace - 5
iceflower, your pictures are so beautiful! I am going to use one of them for my profile picture
Old 09-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals View Post
I was looking for a book on Princess Grace at Border's. Their computer announces a book entitled "Grace" (I think ) for January 2008. Anybody knows anything about this upcoming book ?
I've just had a look on Amazon to try & find out a bit more about the book & it turns out that the title is a little misleading. The new book to be published in January called Princess Grace by Mary Hoffman is part of a children's fiction series, & not "our Grace" Sorry to disappont. However, with the 25th Anniversary of her death, there seems to be a few more tributes being published, & the Life magazine is a good example.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I've just had a look on Amazon to try & find out a bit more about the book & it turns out that the title is a little misleading. The new book to be published in January called Princess Grace by Mary Hoffman is part of a children's fiction series, & not "our Grace" Sorry to disappont. However, with the 25th Anniversary of her death, there seems to be a few more tributes being published, & the Life magazine is a good example.
Thanks for doing the research, even if the result is disappointing. I kind of wondered what new material they had unearthed about Princess Grace to be able to produce a new biography. What we do need is a new biography of Princess Caroline ! Or even better, Princess Caroline memoirs by herself ... (No harm in dreaming...)
Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Royal Highness

Life's Tribute To Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
LIFE Magazine has just released (September, 2007 issue) a BEAUTIFUL photo tribute to the late Princess Grace. The entire magazine issue is exclusively Grace photos - many of which I have never seen before (and I thought I saw them all!). It's truly worth purchasing.
I have the book by Howell Conant on Grace and other ones as well but Life's Tribute has some candid shots and a formal royal close up of Grace as a Bride on pg 128 that I have never seen before and that one on pg 119 that are out of this world.But I like the ones where Grace and Rainier have smiles on their faces and are beaming from ear to ear.It includes details about her wedding gown and the approximated cost then.
A beautiful edition that does her justice .
Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
iceflower, your pictures are so beautiful! I am going to use one of them for my profile picture
Princess Grace is here attired in Madame Gres. The gown is white and the overcoat is red. She is I think sporting her rubies.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I'm glad you liked them, Regina

Here's another nice one from the 1960s:

Grace at the Palace
Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Grace at the Palace

havent seen that one before she looks lovely !! thanks for posting it
Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:

Grace at the Palace
It's very beautiful and it's totally new for me.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Serene Highness

Smile Glistening Seas

iceflower that pic is magnificent. what a gorgeous outfit that's the first time i have seen that photo and it's beautiful. well we all think Pss Grace is a true beauty.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Majesty

Great pic iceflower, thanks for posting.

Here's another close-up:

http://i8.tinypic.com/6fzjt6r.jpg

And some random pics:

http://i5.tinypic.com/2ed7gcn.jpg
http://i8.tinypic.com/6416ik1.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/2s7j40n.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/4p3n23m.jpg
Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 AM
Majesty

2 more pics:

Old 10-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator

While out and about at the grocery store today, I noticed that LIFE magazine had a special issue regarding Princess Grace. Has anyone picked it up?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Nobility

I have a question ...Is it true or not, that Grace and Rainier attended a soccer match on their wedding day? I have read they did this in a couple of bios...
Old 10-07-2007, 01:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
While out and about at the grocery store today, I noticed that LIFE magazine had a special issue regarding Princess Grace. Has anyone picked it up?
Yes I have. Worth the $10.99. It is a "summarized" version of Howell Conant's famous photo book on her.

It mainly features Grace the actress though, but also has a good number of pages on the days leading to the wedding -- the trans-Atlantic journey to Monaco on the Constitution especially.

Although I wanted to see more pics of Grace as the Princess, I am not disappointed. It really was lovingly made, and anyone not too familiar with Grace would be firmly convinced that aside from her being one of the most beautiful women in history, she also led a truly magnificent life esp since whe was so loved by her Prince.

But also do understand that on the cover, it states "Display Until 12/10/2007" so better get your copies now. The publishers want it to be a real collector's item :)
Old 10-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I saw The Life publication too and thought the photos were beautiful... but was also disappointed that there were so few pictures of her as princess. I wondered if that was intentional since Grace Kelly, the actress, ceased to exist after the marriage.

royrrules, I may be starting a fire storm here, but I'm not so sure that she was so loved by the prince. They did live separate lives for many years and had so few interests in common, aside from their children. Perhaps what was seen as Prince Rainier's love and grief was sorrow at lost opportunities (or sorrow at not having expressed his love while she was alive)?

What I really meant to talk about was that I had seen David Niven's son Jamie on The Today Show talking about a Princess Grace exhibition in New York City. The exhibition has, among other things, her engagement ring, a tiara, jewelry, and clothing, including an Edith Head dress and a green Givenchy day dress for auction. The green Givenchy dress was worn when the Prince and Princess met the Kennedys at the White House. I was startled by the unusual (IMO awful) color of the dress because I had only ever seen the photo in black and white.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:26 AM
Nobility

Hi iowabelle. Regarding Prince Rainier's love for Grace, I meant that the pictures depicted such romantic portraits that anyone who has not read the various biographies or who is seeing Grace for the first time in that publication would be convinced that it was truly a marriage that had no bumps. And I agree with you regarding the anchor of his grief in her passing. According to "Once Upon A Time" the marriage was at its most glowing in its last years. Rainier would miss Grace so when she's at Paris and vice versa. He also was more accommodating to her Hollywood friends and aspirations.

Yes, it is quite startling to see the actual color of her clothes. But it is actually just the same, or even worse, with Jackie Kennedy's. Some years ago, there was an auction of her possessions, so all these much photographed dresses were suddenly revealed in their actual color. Observers were shocked by the yellows, fuschias, applegreens, etc, as they assumed her dresses were mostly black and white.

But Grace can carry color better than Jackie because of her blondeness. And because Grace was more traditional with her hair and make-up, her look was more classic. Jackie was easily more associated with a particular decade because of the styles that she either pioneered or followed.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Royal Highness

I have to agree about the gaudy colours of some of her outfits, but many of these are from the 60's & early 70's! When I saw the outfit Grace wore to her first meeting with Rainier at the Palace (as part of the Tribute exhibition in Monaco), I could understand why all the accounts you read indicate it wasn't the best choice - the cabbage roses on the floral print were pretty hideous, but she still managed to carry it off with style.

I've just come across a reference on the web site of the Princess Grace Foundation to this October's edition of Town & Country Magazine which will contain a special tribute to Princess Grace.... Oh you lucky residents of the USA, first the Life Magazine Tribute & now this.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Commoner

Town and COuntry

I have the new Town and Country tribute and it is pretty nice. Apparently, estee lauder recreated the colour of the lipstick Grace wore on her wedding day and you can buy it. I'm not sure when it will be available, but it sounds cool. lol It's called "Signature Hydra Lustre Lipstick in Princess Grace Coral ($19.50). The tribute also came with a bunch of brief interviews of people that knew Grace including: Lizanna, Caroline, Albert and Stephanie plus a lot of pictures too.

I'm from Canada and I bought it. THe price tag on the front has a U.S., Canadian and Foreign price. So, It might be available in quite a few countries. Cheers