The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

U're welcome iloveroyals, apparently the perfume was launched in 2000 according to this site: Princes Grace 1.7 Oz. edp spray by Faberge Women Perfume Mart.Com

And according to this one it has been discontinued already Yahoo! Answers - What happend to Princess GRACE de MONACO Faberge Parfum ? has it been discontinued...if so why?

I never knew Grace used Lancaster products, interesting info.

What I find rare is that Faberge was able to use the name of Princess Grace, maybe they had a deal with the family or sth, but then again maybe there would have been a big launch event with the family present to introduce the perfume, like they did with the Mikimoto pearl jewelery collection in 2001 which was named after her.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals
I have 2 questions about Princess Grace :

There was a perfume named after her. I saw it at Neiman Marcus in Dallas a few years ago, it smelled beautiful but was very expensive and I didn't buy it at that time. When I made up my mind to buy it anyway, I was told it no longer existed. When I was in France sometime later, the department stores told me it existed in places like Carrefour (kind of equivalent of Walmart,which really surprised me.) At any rate, I didn't find it there either and it seemed no one had ever heard of it. It is not mentioned in any of the biographies I have read. Does anybody know anything about that perfume ?

Princess Grace was the official sponsor of the Lancaster skin care and cosmetics products. Again, I have never seen it mentioned in any of the biographies. Does Lancaster still exist ?

Thanks in advance for any response !

I do remember seeing the ad of the perfume a few years ago at W Magazine, which is considered more high-end than Vogue or Elle Magazines. It really smelled great, as the ad featured a sample sleeve.

The perfume, I think, was not meant to be a mainstream scent. Instead, I think it was really more for collectors, thus the high price. I assume also that to protect the integrity of its collector's item status, it was produced for a limited time only.

I doubt if a Faberge product would end up in a Walmart-type of store. Regardless of how unpopular an expensive product is, the makers will not compromise the quality by lowering its price just for the public to purchase it. Also, they are risking their reputation as a brand.

Regarding Princess Grace and scents, the House of Creed was commissioned by Prince Rainier to design/produce a scent to commemorate their 1956 wedding. The result, Fleurissimo, is popular but very high-end that Creed doesn't even heavily advertise it.

Check out the official Creed website: it identifies Fleurissimo as "originally commissioned for Grace Kelly's wedding to Prince Rainier of Monaco."

Creed Fragrances - Official UK Website - Home

Old 06-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Thank you both, monaco70s and royrules, it makes me all the saddest that I didn't buy it when I saw it. It really did smell very good. I guess I am not hard-core fan enough to buy an expensive perfume that I would never wear. It's true that when the Parisian department store told me only hypermarkets now carried it, it didn't make sense to me. And none of them had it anyway. It certainly seemed more logical to be found at Neiman Marcus than WallMart.
Gosh, if it was launched in 2000, it didn't last very long. Why 2000, I wonder ?

As for Lancaster, I don't know that Princess Grace used their products. It may have been just a commercial deal they had together. But the mystique worked, at least on me...
Old 06-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals
Thank you both, monaco70s and royrules, it makes me all the saddest that I didn't buy it when I saw it. It really did smell very good. I guess I am not hard-core fan enough to buy an expensive perfume that I would never wear. It's true that when the Parisian department store told me only hypermarkets now carried it, it didn't make sense to me. And none of them had it anyway. It certainly seemed more logical to be found at Neiman Marcus than WallMart.
Gosh, if it was launched in 2000, it didn't last very long. Why 2000, I wonder ?

As for Lancaster, I don't know that Princess Grace used their products. It may have been just a commercial deal they had together. But the mystique worked, at least on me...
You're very welcome.

For what it's worth, do not regret not having bought it -- it really was so crazy expensive (and much more now on eBay). Honestly, the Creed perfume has Grace's essence more (and it will cost you less!).

Imagine, this is the perfume Grace approved among the many samples Creed brought to Monaco for her to choose from during the wedding festivities. The Faberge perfume, although special because it was named for Grace and really smelled good, did not have her approval as it came much later after her demise. By the way, I do not work for Creed

I read in several articles that Creed's Fleurissimo is a favorite among famous women; Queen Elizabeth, Madonna and Cindy Crawford are the ones I remember significantly.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:01 AM
Courtier
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrrules
You're very welcome.

For what it's worth, do not regret not having bought it -- it really was so crazy expensive (and much more now on eBay). Honestly, the Creed perfume has Grace's essence more (and it will cost you less!).

Imagine, this is the perfume Grace approved among the many samples Creed brought to Monaco for her to choose from during the wedding festivities. The Faberge perfume, although special because it was named for Grace and really smelled good, did not have her approval as it came much later after her demise. By the way, I do not work for Creed

I read in several articles that Creed's Fleurissimo is a favorite among famous women; Queen Elizabeth, Madonna and Cindy Crawford are the ones I remember significantly.
I'll definitely try to get Fleurissimo ! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction !
Old 06-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
I heard that there was recently on Italian TV a show about Grace. Did anyone see it?
Sorry, I missed it, but I generally don't watch this talk show. Here there's a video clip from that show aired on June 7th. (in Italian):

Rai Click
Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks Tosca. Too bad my italian isn't good enough, so I'll probably miss a lot of what is being said, but I guess most of it will be known already I suppose. It will be nice to see the pics though. Many thanks.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

Dedicated to the memory of HSH Princess Grace

To Anthea
Bid me to live, and I will live
Thy Protestant to be:
Or bid me love,and I will give
a loving heart to thee.....

Bid me to weep, and I will weep,
While I have eyes to see:
And having none,yet I will keep
A heart to weep for thee.

Bid me despair, and I'll despair,
Under that cypress tree:
Or bid me die, and I will dare
E'en Death, to die for thee.

Thou art my life, my love, my heart,
The very eyes of me:
And hast command of every part,
To live and die for thee.
Robert Herrick
Old 06-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
Thanks Tosca. Too bad my italian isn't good enough, so I'll probably miss a lot of what is being said, but I guess most of it will be known already I suppose. It will be nice to see the pics though. Many thanks.
My pleasure! You're right: they said nothing new about her, so your Italian can't be that bad!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here are two pics of Grace I can't remember having seen here before :

Grace

Grace in 1963
Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness

The New Year's Rose by Louis D'Aragon

Do you know the moon-rose
Do you know the time-rose
One is like the other
As in the mirror of the lake
One the other shows

Do you know the bitter rose
Made of salt and refusal
Which blossoms on the ocean
Like rainbow after rain
As the tide ebbs and flows

The dream-rose and the soul-rose
At market in bunches sold
Gamut of love forbidden
The game -rose the gamut- rose
And the rose of wasted steps

Do you know the fear-rose
Do you know the night- rose
Both of them seem painted
As sound is painted on lips
As fruit on the tree grows

All the roses that I sing
All the roses of my choice
All the roses I devise
In vain I sing their praise
To the rose before my eyes

dedicated to the memory of HSH Princess Grace and her everlasting love of roses.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Grace in 1970 http://i11.tinypic.com/4qs5a3n.jpg

Wedding banner http://i16.tinypic.com/4veabnl.jpg
Old 06-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

That has been one of her best covers ever, Monacos

Here are several nice clippings of Grace:

Clipping 1
Clipping 2
Clipping 3
Old 06-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Nobility

I am sorry if I am posting something that everybody here already knows, but I was able to leaf through the latest Grace Kelly Picturebook with an intro by Tommy Hilfiger at my local Borders bookstore this afternoon.

It is a serious collection of photos. Of course, forum members are familiar with many pics. It is thick and heavy, and costs $40.00.

Despite our general knowledge of Grace's beauty and spirit, going through those pages have made me appreciate her more, and become more convinced of her legacy and unmatchable place in Monaco, Hollywood, and popular culture.

It does have some serious mistakes though -- I wish the editor was more detail-oriented. Unforgivable mistakes include identifying Lizanne in one of the pics as Mrs. Peggy Levine (it was a beautiful photo though of her and Grace walking at the beach) and wrong dates. Believe me, it would have been flawless if the forum members were responsible in supplying the dates and anecdotes.

Another thing I did not agree with was ending it with a chapter on Grace's death and funeral. I mean, if the book were meant to celebrate Grace's life, it would have been appropriate to feature as a last chapter Grace's children and grandchildren, as well as Monaco and its recognition of Grace's legacy, such as important landmarks and statues of her, and official portraits in the palace. I don't think it would have been difficult to get photos such as those especially since Tommy Hilfiger has friendly connections with Prince Albert. He mentioned this in an ABC interview.

Here is the online article with featured video: ABC News: Grace Kelly: A Life in Pictures

The bottomline, nevertheless, is buy the book :)
Old 06-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree Iceflower, I wish there was a better version available. Great clippings, the pic where Grace is on the sofa is one of her best pics ever! It amazes me to read that she said that jeans were forbidden on her home.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for that insight on that book Royrules. I would really like to see it and why not buy it too! Does it have any pictures of her that we haven't seen?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaco70s View Post
Thanks for that insight on that book Royrules. I would really like to see it and why not buy it too! Does it have any pictures of her that we haven't seen?
You're very welcome monaco70s.

To answer your question, I will compare this new book with that of Howell Conant's, as both have the same concept.

The previous picture book by Howell Conant features more intimate photos especially since Howell was a friend and was the official photographer of Grace's. Also, Howell offered personal anecdotes or behind-the-scenes stories for most of the shots, giving us readers a more personal glimpse of the story. And who else can offer that wonderful compilation of all those annual family photos which showcased the changes of the Princely Family through the years besides the man who photographed them?

This new book however features more candid shots of Grace. The way I felt after going through it is that it is a more reverential take on the Princess. It was lovingly made, as all pictures were really flattering. The photographers who took the pics were obviously awed by her, as they didn't know her personally. There was this shot even of Grace leaving the Montreal hospital after suffering a miscarriage, and she looked so radiant and flawless -- nobody would have imagined that she just went through a traumatic and critical medical condition.

I have issues though of the way the pics were arranged. Not chronological. Like I was going through pages of Grace the actress, then the next page shows Princess Grace in the 60's. It could have been better arranged in my opinion.

Also, I think Stephanie could have been featured more. I think even Howell Conant failed in that regard -- more photos of Grace and a teenage Stephanie would have been significant. Especially since Steph has two misfortunes in this light: first, she was with her mom when the accident happened, and second, whe was the child who had her mom the least amount of time.

But again, no shortage of Grace Kelly worshipping in this book. The foreword by Tommy Hilfiger (very appropriate too that a leading fashion designer speaks about one of the most significant fashion leaders of recent history) also is a very articulate and learned assessment of the legend that is Grace Kelly.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

I'm glad you liked the clippings, Monacos and rorryrules, thank you very much for that interesting book review,
it helped more than any official one

Here are two more clippings, on the first one you can see Grace with her sister I think, on the second one she's
back on stage with Frank Sinatra:

Clipping 1
Clipping 2
Old 06-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Great pics Iceflower, the ones with Sinatra were taken on his concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London in 1971, she was the presenter that night. I remember seeing this concert available on DVD and it said that Princess Grace was the one who introduced Sinatra. I believe it's still available in case anyone wants to buy it for the footage of Princess Grace.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks as always for the additional information, Monacos

Here are two pics of Grace - the second one is a bit ruined

Grace 1
Grace 2