The late Princess Antoinette and the De Massy Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if it will be her daughter Melanie or Princess Stephanie who will assume patronage of her animal charities?

:previous: Yes indeed, the resemblance between Elisabeth and her daughter was/is striking!

Sad news indeed. She was a familiar figure at most of the important events in Monaco. I’m sure she will be dearly missed by all.

How sad that she could not enjoy one last Rolex Masters this year.

I had no idea Elisabeth-Ann was ill either... may she rest in peace. As far as today's standards go, where the oldest man in the world died at 112, 73 is quite young to die. :sad:

Last edited:
Sad news indeed.

Does Monaco have limitations of the number of people that can attend funerals?

Could Charlene be the successor of Elisabeth-Anne at her patronages? She seems to like dogs and sports are certainly her thing.

I wonder will Baroness Elisabeth Ann-Massy be buried beside her mother and sister at the Chapelle de la Paix in Monaco?

Does Monaco have limitations of the number of people that can attend funerals?

According to this, it will be open to the public in the Chapel of the Prince’s Palace from Saturday June 13 from 2pm to 5pm and every other day from 9am to 12pm and from 2pm to 5pm.

https://lagazettedemonaco.com/en/la-baronne-elisabeth-ann-de-massy-est-decedee/

I wonder will Baroness Elisabeth Ann-Massy be buried beside her mother and sister at the Chapelle de la Paix in Monaco?

I also wonder. There's no mention about the burial yet.

I was wondering if there is a maximum of people that can attend the funeral mass itself due the corona pandemic.
Possibly - but Monaco has managed the situation very well so if everyone is spaced out it will probably be ok.

I had no idea Antoinette was ill either... may she rest in peace. As far as today's standards go, where the oldest man in the world died at 112, 73 is quite young to die. :sad:

Princess Antoinette died in 2011. It is her daughter Baroness Elisabeth-Anne who passed away this week.

Elisabeth-Anne's younger sister Christine-Alix passed away at the age of 37 (in 1989); so Christian Louis is the only one of the siblings left.

Elisabeth-Anne leaves behind her two children (Jean-Léonard by her first husband and Mélanie-Antoinette by her second (whom she was only married for during the three months before and two months after the birth of their daughter)), a daughter-in-law (Suzanne) and one grandson (Melchior). Other close family members are her brother Christian Louis; and her niece and nephews by both her younger brother (Leticia, Brice and Antoine) and sister (Keith) and six great-nieces and nephews.

Princess Antoinette died in 2011. It is her daughter Baroness Elisabeth-Anne who passed away this week.

Elisabeth-Anne's younger sister Christine-Alix passed away at the age of 37 (in 1989); so Christian Louis is the only one of the siblings left.

Elisabeth-Anne leaves behind her two children (Jean-Léonard by her first husband and Mélanie-Antoinette by her second (whom she was only married for during the three months before and two months after the birth of their daughter)), a daughter-in-law (Suzanne) and one grandson (Melchior). Other close family members are her brother Christian Louis; and her niece and nephews by both her younger brother (Leticia, Brice and Antoine) and sister (Keith) and six great-nieces and nephews.

I was not aware that Elisabeth had a sister who passed away at only age 37 in 1989!:ohmy:

Christine Alix was the mother of Sebastian Knecht de Massy , she was married with a cousin of the princess Grace,
She had only a son and was divorced , she had a leucemia

It might be helpful to have the full family tree of princess Antoinette:

Princess Antoinette of Monaco, Baroness of Massy (1920-2011) married 1st Alexandre-Athenase Noghès (m. 1951; div. 1954), 2nd Dr. Jean-Charles Rey (m. 1961; div. 1974) and 3rd John Brian Gilpin (m. 1983; died 1983); had three children with mr Noghès prior to their marriage.

1. Elisabeth-Anne de Massy (Noghès) (1947-2020) married 1st Baron Bernard Alexandre Taubert-Natta (1941 - 1989) (m. 1974; div. 1980) and 2nd Nicolai Vladimir Costello (m. 1984; div. 1985); by each husband she had one child.
1.1. Jean-Léonard Taubert-Natta de Massy (b. 1974) married Suzanne Chrimes (m. 2009); they have one son.
1.1.1. Melchior.
1.2. Mélanie-Antoinette Costello de Massy (b. Monaco, 18 January 1985).

2. Christian Louis de Massy (Noghès) (b. 1949) married 1st María Marta Quintana y del Carril (b. 1951) (m. 1970; div. 1978); 2nd he married Anne Michelle Lütken (1959 - 2001) (m. 1982; div. 1987); 3rd he married Julia Lakschin (b. 1968) (m. 1992; div. 1995); 4th he married Cécile Irène Gelabale (b. 1968); he had one daughter by his first and two sons with his current (4th) wife.
2.1. Leticia de Massy (Noghès) (b. 1971) married to Jonkheer Thomas de Brouwer (b. 1973) - two children:
2.1.1. Jonkvrouw Rose de Brouwer (b. 2008)
2.1.2. Jonkheer Sylvestre de Brouwer (b. 2008)
2.2. Brice Souleyman Gelabale-de Massy (by adoption) (b. 1987)
2.3. Antoine de Massy (b. 1997)

3. Christine de Massy (Noghès) (1951-1989) married 1st Charles Wayne Knecht (m. 1972; div. 1976) and 2nd Leon Leroy (m. 1988); had one child with her first husband.
3.1. Keith Sébastien Knecht de Massy (b. 1972), married Donna Donatella dei duchi Lecca Ducagini Guevara Suardo Fabbri (m. 1999), with whom he has four children:
3.1.1. Christine Knecht (12 June 2000)
3.1.2. Alexia Knecht (21 September 2001)
3.1.3. Vittoria Knecht (18 April 2007)
3.1.4. Andrea Knecht (16 October 2008)

I noticed that all marriages of Antoinette and her children that had issue either took place during pregnancy or after the birth of the children (date of Christian's 4th wedding seems unknown - but he only divorced 2 years prior to the birth of his child). I knew it was rather common in Rainier's family but it seems even more common in Antoinette's. And sadly, most of them ended in divorce.

Christian de Massy is also divorced from his fourth wife - for several years now.

I believe all the Knecht children call themselves de Massy.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an extra thread for the funeral of Princess Antoinette in 2011, see here. Posts with links about the funeral that have already posted at that thread, have been removed from this thread.

Very sad. Very strange with all the masks although I totally understand the necessity. Nice to see so many of the family turn up to support her children.

I would have thought that for this occasion Stephanie could have forgone her scraped back ponytail even if she didn't want to wear a mantilla.

Its one of the few times that I've seen Baron Christian de Massy.

Very sad. Very strange with all the masks although I totally understand the necessity. Nice to see so many of the family turn up to support her children.

I would have thought that for this occasion Stephanie could have forgone her scraped back ponytail even if she didn't want to wear a mantilla.

Indeed, the images are very sad... not only because of the nature of the event ( a funeral is obviously a sad event ), but because of this pandemic situation we're living... Just the family (well, they're the ones whose presence really matters...), and those terrible masks that makes it all feel so much heavier... May she rest in peace, now...

:easter:

Somehow the masks make the funeral today seem more sombre - I noticed that they had the Monegasque crest on them, which was a nice additional touch.

Regarding the world circumstances it was nice that they still managed to hold a family funeral for Elisabeth Anne.

Somehow the masks make the funeral today seem more sombre - I noticed that they had the Monegasque crest on them, which was a nice additional touch.

Nice touch that indeed, (not that it's important, but i think Charlene was wearing a different one?)

Back
Top Bottom