The late Prince Rainier III

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could get it online from Amazon. It is available if you check out the site. I have another book which contains more information about Rainier & Gisele Pascal - "Once Upon a Time: The Story of Princess Grace, Prince Rainier & their Family" by J. Randy Taraborrelli. It's also available from Amazon. The author indicates thta Princess Antoinette was very much opposed to the actress & that Rainier was unhappy by Gisele's dedication to an acting/movie career. He also cites a personal friend of Gisele's,Maureen Molnar,as enabling him to uncover information about the romance. :flowers:

There was also Father Tucker who understood that this was not going to end in marriage. In his biography are letters which indicate that Father Tucker told her that it would not end in marriage. She is quoted as saying he was the one who sat her down and told her the truth. Father Tucker is also the one who helped arrange for Rainier to meet Grace.

There was also Father Tucker who understood that this was not going to end in marriage. In his biography are letters which indicate that Father Tucker told her that it would not end in marriage. She is quoted as saying he was the one who sat her down and told her the truth. Father Tucker is also the one who helped arrange for Rainier to meet Grace.
That's very interesting Hibou - I have recently bought the Father Tucker biography & haven't got round to reading it yet. Thank you:)

Wonderful pics!! Wonderful pics for a wonderful man. Thanks for posting them, queenofthelight :angel:

Glistening Seas

:globe: These are simply fabulous!! Doesn't Ranier hair look lighter in the top one??? In most pics he looks like he has dark hair. These are a very impromptu look a very handsome guy!! :butterfly:

According to Jeffrey Robinson in his book "Rainier & Grace" they met when Rainier was a student at Montpellier. She was an actress doing a play there. Robinson states ".. they sailed together in the summer & skied together in the winter." Robinson goes on to dismiss the rumours she was infertile & quotes Rainier as saying "We were together 6 years & it was fine while it lasted but I think we both felt it was long enough. It was a love affair that had come to its own end. I don't think there were any real intention on either side to get married. As long as things were good they were fine just as they were. Then it simply ended."
Robinson then notes that Gisele went on to marry & have a child,thus proving false the earlier accusations.
As for Rainier, well as we all know his future lay elsewhere.
I will not sugar coat anything because this did not end simply. Rainier was with Gisele for six years and she did expect marriage [as she had incrimnated her reputation for the fifties this was news] but he said she was infertile as he understood that she could not bring anything more to Monaco which needed and could be brought by way of an extraorodinary wife and consort. So he ended it. Rainier was a practical man.He wanted and did the best for Monaco always.The parting had more pain than they "just" ended it.However both went on to make and create successful families.

Anybody knows where can i find a video interview of him? I've seen Grace's Caroline's Albert's etc, but i can't find in youtube, nor any other site. Didn't he give one to Larry King in his show?
Also, i only find little parts of his visit to America (in Grace documental biographies in youtube) where when he speaks, they cut it!

I noticed on Prince Rainier's Wikipedia page that he received lots of senior orders from other royal families including the Seraphim and Leopold from Sweden and Belgium. Does anyone know why Albert hasn't received the same ones?

I noticed on Prince Rainier's Wikipedia page that he received lots of senior orders from other royal families including the Seraphim and Leopold from Sweden and Belgium. Does anyone know why Albert hasn't received the same ones?

Usually an Order is exchanged in the framework of a State Visit. The Prince seldomly is involved in a State Visit. In Amsterdam in 2013 the Prince did attend the Investiture of King Willem-Alexander, but no Orders were exchanged: just the Investiture Medal 2013, which is no Order.

It was really nice to see the Princely and members of extended Family attend the Memorial Mass for the late Prince Rainier :previous:

Does anyone know if prince Rainer had a royal bride in mind that he hoped for Prince Albert??

Does anyone know if prince Rainer had a royal bride in mind that he hoped for Prince Albert??

Prince Rainier himself married an American actress.

His mother was an illegitimate (later made legitimate) "product" of a fling with a Montmartre cabaret singer whom followed Rainier's father to the military barracks where he served in the Régiment Chasseurs d'Afrique. The cabaret singer justified her presence there as "a laundress".

In 1898 that "laundress" (Rainier's grandmother) gave birth to Charlotte Grimaldi (no titles). In 1920, after adoption, she became Princess of Monaco. I doubt Rainier was interested in seeing a royal bride for his son. He himself was not bothered to find one.

Last edited:
Prince Rainier himself married an actress, his mother was an illegitimate (later made legitimate) "product" of a fling with a Montmartre cabaret singer whom followed Rainier's father to the military barracks where he served in the Régiment Chasseurs d'Afrique. The cabaret singer justified her presence there as "a laundress".

That "laundress" (Rainier's grandmother) gave birth to the princesse Charlotte de Monaco, duchesse de Valentinois. I doubt Rainier was interested in seeing a royal bride for his son. He himself was not bothered to find one.

I do get what you are saying - it’s just that is always heard that when Caroline got married for the third time Rainer responded something like “at least his one of us” . I would have thought if Albert made a royal to royal match it may give them even more credibility in the royal world (I apologise if I have worded that badly)

The family attended the celebrations to mark the 100th anniversary of late Prince Rainier in Monaco today, May 31.

A sculptures path was inaugurated and a street party with various activities took place today.

** gettyimages gallery ** dm article ** profimedia gallery ** rex gallery **

Camille shared this lovely unseen photo of Prince Rainier with his grandchildren (Jazmin Grace and Alexandre were of course not included), it was probably exhibited during today's event:

** Pic **

** pm article with gallery: Joyeuse balade en voitures de collection pour la famille princière de Monaco **

** pm article with photos: Le clan Grimaldi réuni autour de la princesse Stéphanie pour célébrer le prince Rainier **

** gtresnews gallery 1 ** gtresnews gallery 2 ** gtresnews gallery 3 **

A great video of the family viewing the centenary exhibition:

And some lovely photos shared by the Palace:

** instagram gallery 1 ** instagram gallery 2 **

Last edited:
What a lovely family event. A very touching picture of Rainier with his grandchildren.

Camille shared this lovely unseen photo of Prince Rainier with his grandchildren (Jazmin Grace and Alexandre were of course not included), it was probably exhibited during today's event:

** Pic **

Nice pic. Pity that he never got to know Jacques and Gabriella.

A tribute to Prince Rainier was paid during the gala of the Rainier III Academy of Music yesterday, June 14.

"An exceptional violin designed and made by the students and their violin making teacher, Roberto Masini, [was] presented on this occasion. The Academy's violin making workshop was created on the initiative of Prince Rainier III and opened its doors on October 1st 1977."

Prince Albert, Princess Caroline, Princess Stéphanie, Camille and Mélanie attended:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** instagram gallery **

Today, June 24, Prince Albert inaugurated the exhibition “Prince Rainier III, a sailor above all” that will be shown at the Yacht Club until December 31, 2023:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

The first concert of the 18th edition of the Monaco International Organ Festival was given at the Cathedral of Monaco as part of Prince Rainier's Centenary celebrations today, June 25.

Prince Albert and Princess Caroline attended:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

A nice belated addition for June 22 and a nice family reunion:

Prince Albert, Princess Stephanie, Andrea, Charlotte and Louis attended the opening of the exhibition "The Prince and his animals" at Rainier III's Zoological Gardens. Some nice photos were released today:

** instagram gallery ** fb gallery **

Back
Top Bottom